Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Soundwavepb
Starter Motor

Default 2013 Mondeo aftermarket stereo

Hi everyone, hopefully you can help.

I've read back through the last 12 months of threads here and didn't find an answer, so here goes.

I want to replace the headunit on my LX mondeo, largely because I want to stream music and podcasts.

I was told today that if I install an aftermarket headunit (pioneer, alpine, whoever) that I would lose the reverse sensor functionality as well as the steering wheel control. The option given to me was a wiring harness (I think from Aeropro) which would cost $350.

I've seen the Opal-style replacement options and I'm not keen on those.

Are there any other options or am I screwed?

In short - I want to retain bluetooth calling, reverse sensors and steering wheel control. I want to put a single-din headunit in which would give me the ability to stream music. How do I do this?
Soundwavepb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2013 Mondeo aftermarket stereo

I've had a quick look at the options, as am contemplating a Mondeo purchase.
The units are double-din, and there are a few options available.
But I'll stress that I don't own a Mondeo yet, so I don't know exactly what the existing unit does, or how well the replacements fit.
  1. If the existing unit has bluetooth (which I beleive it does) there are apps you can use to play media from your phone. Our Terri has only basic bluetooth, but I use a simple App called BTmono which plays anything I want over the BT connection (But I think it only uses the front speakers, as for a phone call.)
  2. If the unit has an auxillary input function, you can run the input down to a socket in the storage compartment and simply plug your phone in via the headphone socket.
  3. The Sony units from the Zetec and Titanium are readily available and I would imagine fit perfectly. Whether you get the full functionality, I don't know. You wouldn't get some display functions becuase you don't have the upspec display in the instrument cluster. On older cars, plugging in upspec units was plug-n-play, but I'm less confident with modern cars where you have BCMs, canbus, etc.
  4. There are a variety of made to fit replacements available, with 7" screens, etc. Since Mondeo is an internatinal model, and the units are used in other models, there is a reasonable variety, and they look ok. Mostly they are either WinCE or Android, which means they can run Apps, and they CLAIM to integrate with exisisting controls and features.
  5. You can also add cameras which is a bonus.
  6. The more expensive ones offer canbus. I have never played around with canbus, but in theory this means the unit can be made to work with all existing components.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
  1. If the unit has an auxillary input function, you can run the input down to a socket in the storage compartment and simply plug your phone in via the headphone socket.
  2. The Sony units from the Zetec and Titanium are readily available and I would imagine fit perfectly. Whether you get the full functionality, I don't know. You wouldn't get some display functions becuase you don't have the upspec display in the instrument cluster. On older cars, plugging in upspec units was plug-n-play, but I'm less confident with modern cars where you have BCMs, canbus, etc.
Interesting, would not have thought of replacing the base model radio (6000CD) in an LX with the upspec Sony unit.

Unfortunately, I think the only additional benefit it would get you is a USB input socket for mp3/iPod playback. Since the 6000CD does support Bluetooth for phone calls and the Sony unit only does that much too, it will be necessary to use an app that tricks it into thinking it's a phone call to stream to either of them. Also, it seems there is a chance your 6000CD will already provide an aux-in socket, or that you can add it (apparently it was sometimes charged as an optional extra - cheap bastards!).

The Sony unit provides an aux-in socket and also a USB socket in the glovebox, which can play media from a memory stick and also supports iPod playback (with the optional iPod harness that they sold at a stupendous markup - bastards again!).

Most of the aftermarket head units I've seen do claim to keep your steering wheel controls functionality. There are lots on ebay (mostly generic brands) which also claim additional features as Crazy Dazz has mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
bananasnblow
Starter Motor

I installed a xtrons unit for connected-ness and GPS (I use online/offline google maps because they're the best). All sensors and steering wheel controls work. Don't get the radio related graphics in the drivers display though. No biggie for all the connected goodies (Podcasts, Tunein Radio, Advanced MP3 Player interfaces, Traffic Alerts and time to destination, reverse camera etc) Android brings; sounds great too. To be clear , mines a Titainium MC 2011 though.
bananasnblow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwavepb View Post
Hi everyone, hopefully you can help.

I've read back through the last 12 months of threads here and didn't find an answer, so here goes.

I want to replace the headunit on my LX mondeo, largely because I want to stream music and podcasts.

I was told today that if I install an aftermarket headunit (pioneer, alpine, whoever) that I would lose the reverse sensor functionality as well as the steering wheel control. The option given to me was a wiring harness (I think from Aeropro) which would cost $350.

I've seen the Opal-style replacement options and I'm not keen on those.

Are there any other options or am I screwed?

In short - I want to retain bluetooth calling, reverse sensors and steering wheel control. I want to put a single-din headunit in which would give me the ability to stream music. How do I do this?

I’ve installed the latest Xtrons 7.1 head unit for the Mondeo and I’ve noticed the following:
All the steering controls work as expected
The front and rear sensors are NOT outputting through the speakers.
The included harness makes this kit literally plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
AMPM
Starter Motor

Hello To All a Newbie Here.............Good thread as I have just purchased a MC LX Wagon with the bog standard 6000cd (no USB - cant stream iphone music).

Does the up-spec SONY 6000CD stacker plug into the existing LX connections ?

Thanks
AMPM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPM View Post
Does the up-spec SONY 6000CD stacker plug into the existing LX connections ?
I don't know the answer (I assume it'd be an easy change) but would have to question why, if you're going to the trouble of replacing the head unit, why you wouldn't opt for something a bit fancier with buit in NAV etc??
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojabbajabba View Post
I’ve installed the latest Xtrons 7.1 head unit for the Mondeo and I’ve noticed the following:
The included harness makes this kit literally plug and play.
Hey yojabba, do you mean that you get no parking sensor beeps now, or they beep from a source other than the speakers?

The main thing that gives me pause about changing out the headunit is losing integrated functions, but if it doesn't actually affect the sensors then that's one thing I could stop worrying about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
sailaway

Quote:
The included harness makes this kit literally plug and play.image
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested to see if those sensors will operate.

Would appreciate Head unit model, cost and installation costs please.

Thx
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check in the headunit factory settings, just in case the canbus adapter is set to the wrong car.

Password should be 126.

By the way Xtrons is just a reseller, they don't make the units. All units are MTCA/B/C/D/E type which is the Android part usually a PX3 or PX5 mainboard but there are intel ones.
Then you have the MCU which connects the Android part to all the buttons on the device itself and basically interfaces with all the hardware and communicates to the CANBus adapter.

I've heard that not all units can use the front parking sensors, mine works fine with my rear ones.

Since yojabbajabba mentions it has Android 7.1 it's a PX3 board and has 2GB of RAM, most likely to be the quad-core CPU.

You can get the newer PX5 board but they have only developed Android to 6 on those boards, they do offer better power management and are octa-core CPUs.

Pretty much every unit is 1024x600 for the screen, the cheaper ones are 800x600.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Interested to see if those sensors will operate.

Would appreciate Head unit model, cost and installation costs please.

Thx

Head unit model:
Xtrons pa77fsfp-b

Cost: Bought it via eBay's 10% off Boxing Day sales for $315.

Installation Costs: $0 - did it myself! Watched a couple of Youtube vids and all was good.
NB: you'll need to buy an Antenna adapter as the included in the box doesn't suit. M-Din antenna adapter

Last edited by yojabbajabba; 20-01-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 20-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Check in the headunit factory settings, just in case the canbus adapter is set to the wrong car.

Password should be 126.
Thank you! Will give it a go tomorrow morning!

Quote:
By the way Xtrons is just a reseller, they don't make the units. All units are MTCA/B/C/D/E type which is the Android part usually a PX3 or PX5 mainboard but there are intel ones.
Then you have the MCU which connects the Android part to all the buttons on the device itself and basically interfaces with all the hardware and communicates to the CANBus adapter.

I've heard that not all units can use the front parking sensors, mine works fine with my rear ones.
I've read a little about this, but not much. This is something I'm keen to investigate. Especially the part about compatibility with features of the car.

Quote:
Since yojabbajabba mentions it has Android 7.1 it's a PX3 board and has 2GB of RAM, most likely to be the quad-core CPU.
You can get the newer PX5 board but they have only developed Android to 6 on those boards, they do offer better power management and are octa-core CPUs.
Pretty much every unit is 1024x600 for the screen, the cheaper ones are 800x600.
According to the product description it looks like I've picked up the PX3 version as described (no octa-core). Still snappy as ever though - excellent value for the $315 I paid!
Old 27-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some wiring diagrams I stumbled on. I collect info on the Mondeo, may be of use to someone.

https://fordcom.de/2017/02/25/schalt...o-vorfacelift/
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
bananasnblow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Head unit model:
Xtrons pa77fsfp-b

Cost: Bought it via eBay's 10% off Boxing Day sales for $315.

Installation Costs: $0 - did it myself! Watched a couple of Youtube vids and all was good.
NB: you'll need to buy an Antenna adapter as the included in the box doesn't suit. M-Din antenna adapter
I have an xTrons unit, worked like a dog until I applied firmware update, now works well. Sound quality is great. I've owned it for over 12 months and no issues at all other than firmware.
I had a problem with the aerial connection, could only connect FM, so my AM isn't connected. Workaround is TuneIn radio app - I also purchased Digital Radio for this unit - works fine when there's reception - which is only available in inner city so that was a waste of money, maybe a better digital aerial would help but don't think so.

Has anyone purchased the xTrons camera to use as dash cam with their units?
bananasnblow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post