Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Cralis

Default Engine Auto Start/Stop

Hi All,

What's the info on the engine auto start/stop? Does it cause wear on the starter more than it should or is it, in wearing out terms, OK for the car? Does it hammer the battery or is it a non-issue?

And, does it actually save fuel? I don't know much about cars, but I thought starting a car was a bit of a surge in fuel. More than would have been used while sitting for, sometimes, a few seconds?

Whats the general advice? Does it save fuel? Or does it cause more damage/fuel/battery usage than it saves?
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Engine Auto Start/Stop

I turn mine off but I run mine in sport all the time so it doesn't engage. Nearly got cleaned up at a stop sign when I went to go in a short gap and it had shut off. I think its dangerous.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Mondaveo

See the links below for detailed explanation. The general feeling is that stop-start systems really only exist so car makers can eke out slightly better results in the official economy and emissions tests. Maybe en masse it can make a difference to the smog in a city, but at the individual level you're unlikely to see appreciable savings.
You don't need to worry about it causing wear to your engine & starter motor or stress on the battery. Yes, it will save you a very minor amount of fuel. You'll have to make your own value call if that's worth the annoyance to you (if you do indeed find it annoying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
Cralis

Thanks. It seems it defaults to On :( So even if you switch it off, it comes back on next time you use the car. That’s a bit of a shame.
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post