Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #61
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - 'No Infrastructure'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Yeah, nice story, pity it's BS.
There's no such thing as "Sickness Benefits."
You just go onto Income Support (aka newstart) and have a doctor sign your form. Even if you can't find a doctor to sign your form, worst case scenario is that you need to say that you looked for work.

The problem remains that for every genuine case, there is somebody else out there rorting the system.
Sorry to be so blunt, but get a clue mate.
Do you even realise there's a payment scale?

I took him into Centrelink Midland and went through the entire process with him.
Including meeting with and getting letters from his treating Professor.
If you think all you need is a doctor to sign a form you must live on Mars, there is no such form in existence. Centrelink removed them all!

But that's ok, keep your head in the sand and your hand out for the middle class welfare you're more than likely receiving.

You know, I had the same thoughts as you, all was fine and dandy. The reality is something entirely different when you have to start dealing with this massively broken system.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 28-08-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #62
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Sorry to be so blunt, but get a clue mate.
Do you even realise there's a payment scale?

I took him into Centrelink Midland and went through the entire process with him.
Including meeting with and getting letters from his treating Professor.
If you think all you need is a doctor to sign a form you must live on Mars, there is no such form in existence. Centrelink removed them all!
"Sickness Benefits" only applies to a very narrow category of people. Basically where you have a job (or are studying) and are TEMPORARILY unable to work.

If you don't have a job, you go on Newstart. It basically the same, and as I said, worst case scenario is that you have to "look for work."

Sounds like you may have been trying to get him onto the DSP. That is a fair bit more, as it is a pension.
In theory, a terminally ill person should qualify, but unfortunately decades of people rorting the system have made it harder for the genuine cases.

But I'll give you a piece of genuine advice. You need to find a lawyer willing to take on his case for free, and threaten to sue. Centrelink will cave.

My brother is a quad, and lives in an institution. He has been fighting for years to get his DSP reinstated. It looked hopeless until he found a lawyer to take on his case. As soon as they realised it would cost them money to keep fighting, centrelink gave in.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #63
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
"Sickness Benefits" only applies to a very narrow category of people. Basically where you have a job (or are studying) and are TEMPORARILY unable to work.

If you don't have a job, you go on Newstart. It basically the same, and as I said, worst case scenario is that you have to "look for work."

Sounds like you may have been trying to get him onto the DSP. That is a fair bit more, as it is a pension.
In theory, a terminally ill person should qualify, but unfortunately decades of people rorting the system have made it harder for the genuine cases.

But I'll give you a piece of genuine advice. You need to find a lawyer willing to take on his case for free, and threaten to sue. Centrelink will cave.

My brother is a quad, and lives in an institution. He has been fighting for years to get his DSP reinstated. It looked hopeless until he found a lawyer to take on his case. As soon as they realised it would cost them money to keep fighting, centrelink gave in.
A mix-up with words.

I'm not familiar with Centrelink (hence my shock) and you are correct. It was a disability pension. I called it sickness benefits for want of a better word.

My point still stands though, genuinely sick people are being harassed and pushed out of the system. People who have worked all their lives and paid taxes. It's is plainly wrong and the system is utterly broken, as evidenced by your brother. Why should he be fighting FFS? This is Australia we live in not some 3rd world country.
If people are rorting the system then they should be gaoled. Not take money away from those who are unable to help themselves through no fault of their own.

I have written to my local Federal member voicing my concerns.
No need for lawyers, he is now well past that and only has a matter of weeks left.

XC Cobra #181.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #64
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-2...-start/8204004

South Australia bless em

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/26/as...-prefabricated

Chinese skyscraper built in 19 days.

and this

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...than-two-days/

Would love to see Australians be let of the leash and employing engineers/tradesman etc to build the future, but apparently SSM is the hot topic go figure.

So what holds us back. “Most problematic factors for doing business” according to the World bank survey. And what are the top 4? Government, government, government and government:

Restrictive labor regulations
Tax rates
Inefficient government bureaucracy
Tax regulations

Last edited by zipping; 13-09-2017 at 11:15 PM.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #65
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I think the true infrastructure failure is in new suburbs.

It is known by the authorities who approve new suburbs that existing infrastructure will need upgrading and new infrastructure will be required.

I don't understand why each new block sold isn't subject to, say, a $5,000 infrastructure contribution. Have it so it is payable at settlement of the block and the managing authority (could be local government or a specific state government department) turn up at settlement and collect the $5,000.
Heard of Stamp Duty? Usually more than $5k too
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #66
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post

South Australia bless em

and this

Would love to see Australians be let of the leash and employing engineers/tradesman etc to build the future, but apparently SSM is the hot topic go figure.

So what holds us back. “Most problematic factors for doing business” according to the World bank survey. And what are the top 4? Government, government, government and government:

Tax rates
Tax regulations
Only read the first link.

Why does this continually happen? The new Perth Childrens Hospital was basically completed 18 months ago but it's still not open due to "contamination issues." In this particular case I agree with the decision to keep it closed because it's lead contamination, in a childrens hospital.

Sure governments have their share of the blame but the companies doing the building have nothing to do with government. They can't seem to finish any job on time - or budget. Do the so-called penalties really get applied?

Outsourcing to other countries sucks too. Our new sports stadium can't host anything because the pedestrian bridge is sitting in Malaysia. Can't we build a friggin pedestrian bridge here?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 14-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #67
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post

South Australia bless em

and this

Tax rates
Tax regulations
Yeah. Chinese skyscraper built in 19 days. I'll be staying out of that building thanks.

As for the South Australians and construction........it takes them forever.

First they need to talk about it for 30 years.

Then the Enviromental Impact Study needs to be redone (because it's 30 years old).

Then some activist group block it because the view of the "Hill's Face Zone" is impaired. Or 3 trees have to be removed from the sacrosanct Parklands.

When construction finally starts, they only build half and "promise" the rest in another 30 years !

As for the World Bank survey......I don't see the link between Government built infrastructure and "doing business". I think that is the problem right there !!
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #68
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Only read the first link.

Why does this continually happen? The new Perth Childrens Hospital was basically completed 18 months ago but it's still not open due to "contamination issues." In this particular case I agree with the decision to keep it closed because it's lead contamination, in a childrens hospital.

Sure governments have their share of the blame but the companies doing the building have nothing to do with government. They can't seem to finish any job on time - or budget. Do the so-called penalties really get applied?

Outsourcing to other countries sucks too. Our new sports stadium can't host anything because the pedestrian bridge is sitting in Malaysia. Can't we build a friggin pedestrian bridge here?
They do get applied.

I work on alot of infrastructure and it aint as simple for a builder to just get the job done. Trust me we want to just get on with it, time is money. The faster wew build it the faster we get paid.

Government contract are onerous, the builder usually gets left holding the bag.

The builder is usually pushed to breaking point by over-zealous govco PMs.

Currently on a hospital project and govco has managed to burn serveral builders on previous stages...and the trend is continuing..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #69
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
They do get applied.

I work on alot of infrastructure and it aint as simple for a builder to just get the job done. Trust me we want to just get on with it, time is money. The faster wew build it the faster we get paid.

Government contract are onerous, the builder usually gets left holding the bag.

The builder is usually pushed to breaking point by over-zealous govco PMs.

Currently on a hospital project and govco has managed to burn serveral builders on previous stages...and the trend is continuing..
I work for a company that supplies the builders on many Govt infrastructure projects.

You are spot on with the over zealous govt minions comment.

They give me headaches daily!!
Old 14-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #70
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Headaches because they are asking for what's in the documents and contracts to be delivered and installed as per those documents and specifications?
Are those minions actually architects, engineers or project managers? And not actually government people?
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #71
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Headaches because they are asking for what's in the documents and contracts to be delivered and installed as per those documents and specifications?
Are those minions actually architects, engineers or project managers? And not actually government people?
JP
Most certainly not!

That would just be sensible, wouldn't it? That's how you tell they are from the Govt. They are here to "help" you. You know the rest.

As for qualifications from the Govt minions? You have to be kidding right? came across one the other day and had to show him how to do trigonometry. He couldn't do it with the aid of a CAD program !!!

Then there was the Govt. beaurocrat from Safe Work who declared that marine grade stainless steel would stick to a magnet inside a machine we had. When I demonstrated it wouldn't he decalred my magnet must be worn out !!

Then the metallurgist who couldn't tell me the first 10 elements on the periodic table......

Jesus wept !!!!

Last edited by comfortablynumb; 14-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #72
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Most certainly not!

That would just be sensible, wouldn't it? That's how you tell they are from the Govt. They are here to "help" you. You know the rest.

As for qualifications from the Govt minions? You have to be kidding right? came across one the other day and had to show him how to do trigonometry. He couldn't do it with the aid of a CAD program !!!

Then there was the Govt. beaurocrat from Safe Work who declared that marine grade stainless steel would stick to a magnet inside a machine we had. When I demonstrated it wouldn't he decalred my magnet must be worn out !!

Then the metallurgist who couldn't tell me the first 10 elements on the periodic table......

Jesus wept !!!!
Now manufacturing is essentially dead in this country, I'm 'fraid you'll just have to get use to the "services" industry

really is a shame the gov'nment has to hire so many "service" people to keep the employment rate up.....

Oh, and it's unlikely you'll find many out of school that can give you the first 10 elements in order. Not exactly a value adding skill that, something like galvanic corrosion and mismatched pairs is somewhat more useful (or was when we built cars, boats and plane parts in this country of ours)
Just sayin.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #73
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Now manufacturing is essentially dead in this country, I'm 'fraid you'll just have to get use to the "services" industry

really is a shame the gov'nment has to hire so many "service" people to keep the employment rate up.....

Oh, and it's unlikely you'll find many out of school that can give you the first 10 elements in order. Not exactly a value adding skill that, something like galvanic corrosion and mismatched pairs is somewhat more useful (or was when we built cars, boats and plane parts in this country of ours)
Just sayin.
Yeah....galvanic corrosion. forgot about that one.

So did the engineers that built the desalination plant in Qld. 12 months after commissioning and the damn thing fell apart. Simple stuff, no? Ask anyone who owns a boat.

Mr. Metallurgist was in his 30's. Periodic table should be bread and butter for him. Yr 10 science level that stuff.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #74
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure I know the rest. Nearly 10 billion (yes billion) in construction under my belt so far and never had problems with government or other regulatory authorities any more than them ensuring we met our obligations regarding, rules, regulations, budget or programme. Which was never a problem. I've seen incompetence and inexperience on all sides, even made some mistakes myself. But never what your describing I over 20 years in the industry.
Oh common 304 (marine) stainless has some magnetic qualities due to no moly unlike 316!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #75
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I'm not sure I know the rest. Nearly 10 billion (yes billion) in construction under my belt so far and never had problems with government or other regulatory authorities any more than them ensuring we met our obligations regarding, rules, regulations, budget or programme. Which was never a problem. I've seen incompetence and inexperience on all sides, even made some mistakes myself. But never what your describing I over 20 years in the industry.
Oh common 304 (marine) stainless has some magnetic qualities due to no moly unlike 316!
JP
You must be lucky then. Or you pay them.....:P

Maybe it's just a Qld thing.

Seriously, every time we one of "those" cars pull into the carpark, we just roll our eyes and gird our loins, ready to participate in that particular days silliness.

As to the stainless......it quite plainly didn't stick to this particular magnet. Made a bit of a clatter when it hit the floor. However the 500 grade steel clicked on there quite nicely, just as it is supposed to.

If you are in large construction projects, it is likely my company supplies you somewhere. Pre fabricated reinforcing cages.
Old 26-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #76
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
108 tower in Melbourne is a 100 storey 900 million project currently in progess
How is that going to make my trip to work quicker?