Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aftermarket guards

Anyone used the All Crash Guards? I have a dent on the crease that runs along the front guard. I can go wreckers for $70 with good paint in my colour, or pay a paintless dent tech a lot of money or buy one of these aftermarket guards, paint it myself and hopefully find it fits as well as a factory job. I want my car to look the very best it can. Anybody had any experience with non genuine guards?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aftermarket guards

So you want the best you can but are gunna paint an after market guard your self, either save up and do it properly or just bang on that second hand one for now till you can afford to do it properly

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was my decision I would go with the $70 second hand.It will have factory paint and hopefully will buff up to a pretty good match.Most of the aftermarket panels don't fit very well and you have the cost of painting which almost certainly will not match.At least the S.H panel will fit properly.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by provked View Post
So you want the best you can but are gunna paint an after market guard your self, either save up and do it properly or just bang on that second hand one for now till you can afford to do it properly
I used to be a spray painter so the paint isn't the issue. The question is if the aftermarket guards are any good.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I used to own a panel beater and spray shop. When it came to aftermarket parts, the oddest thing I discovered the cheap *** parts usually fit better than the certified parts.

Also, don't let them just drop off the box and leave. Open the box and inspect the part for any damage. You would be surprised how many come through with a tweak here, a dent there or a bent corner somewhere.

Then, since you were a painter you know you know you need to cut it in first by painting the back side to match the back side of the rest of the car.

After installation, when you paint the new part you should blend in the adjoining panels as you will never get a dead color match unless your car is a true black.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I used to be a spray painter so the paint isn't the issue. The question is if the aftermarket guards are any good.
Am I missing something? If you're a spray-painter, then just buy the cleanest 2nd-hand guard you can find, and paint it to match.
How much cheaper is an after-market guard? and is it worth the risk?
You're going to invest a lot of time and effort into it.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

The OP is still in decision mode. I just gave him a little background on aftermarket parts if he decides to go that way.

For used parts I used to work with an outfit called LKQ (Like Kind Quality). It is true you will get a factory piece, but sometimes you have a ding here or there you need to repair.

You still have to do a cut in, and when you paint you really should blend the adjoining panels. Unless you have a true black there is no way you will get a dead match. Blending fools the eye into seeing a match.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: