Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Default MMS - Ford Lifts the Lid on Concept Cars

A surprise star headlines the Focus collection at the Ford Australia 2005 Melbourne International Motor Show stand – a concept car inspired by the all-new Ford Focus.

“The Ford Focus Vignale Concept is an elegant, stylish design model with a dual personality, design flair and contemporary details that hint at classic European sports cars,” says Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.

Sitting alongside the all-new Ford Focus production range making its Australian debut in Melbourne, the Focus Vignale Concept explores the potential for future Focus derivatives.

"The overwhelming positive response to the Vignale Concept at the Paris Motor Show led to the early confirmation of a production model, due in late 2006," said Gorman.

"We'll be watching closely to see if it receives a similar reaction here in Melbourne."

The European connection

The Focus Vignale Concept takes its inspiration and name from the renowned Italian designer, Alfredo Vignale (1913 – 1969), who has an historical connection with Ford’s European design heritage.

His Carrozzeria Vignale company produced many stylish, coach-built sports cars during the 1950's and 1960's and joined Ford Motor Company’s De Tomaso Automobili in 1969.

The Focus Vignale Concept is actually two cars in one – ideal for changing moods and environments.

Regardless of the weather, the Focus Vignale Concept conveys a strong emotional appeal that Ford designers believe will inspire longing and a touch of envy. As a stylish and sporty coupe that is just as appealing in autumn and winter months, the car brings elegance combined with rational attributes of luxury, comfort and safety.

Its profile is dynamic and distinctive, and promises the rewarding driving experience that comes as standard in all Ford cars.

Yet at the push of a button, the coupe transforms effortlessly into an open-top convertible. Its bootlid silently tilts open and its retractable hardtop folds backward to stow cleanly in the boot, morphing the vehicle to inspire carefree emotions of open-top, wind-in-the-hair motoring.

As the car assumes its open-top role, the quality of craftsmanship and premium materials is clearly evident, highlighted by well-executed design touches inspired by the heyday of the European sports car.

Just one of these design facets in the Focus Vignale Concept’s sweeping profile is the door handle. A modern execution of designs found in Alfredo Vignale's spyders from the Sixties, it is elegantly sculpted in a lozenge shape of polished aluminium.

Unlike the Sixties original, a simple, intuitive finger push now activates the door catch electronically, allowing the door to be pulled open with style and attitude.

“The surfacing is smooth and appealing, punctuated by neat details,” said chief designer Ehab Kaoud. “Your fingers want to caress its surfaces.”

Striking lines and bold body sections clearly build on the design language of the Focus production models. This foundation provided the concept design team with an opportunity unprecedented in the small car segment to create a stunningly attractive coupe derivative without making awkward design concessions to the practical packaging difficulties inherent in a folding-top cabriolet.

“Some are ready to accept compromises in cars of this kind, but we weren’t,” Kaoud added. “Our approach was that this car should be beautiful as a sporty coupe first. Having a great-to-drive coupe which can then transform into a stylish convertible gives the Focus Vignale Concept its unique dual personality.”

The result of the Ford design team’s work is a derivative model with a high degree of design coherence. Only cut lines visible at the base of the cleanly and fluidly shaped C-pillar betray the fact that the Focus Vignale Concept has a retractable top.

Premium appeal

The Vignale Concept is finished in a new colour called Amalfi, evoking seaside freshness.

The exterior is highlighted by the use of bright polished aluminium which evokes the chrome of past grand touring cars from Europe. A narrow, polished aluminium strip stretches horizontally along the length of the vehicle at its sills, emphasising the confidence of the vehicle’s stance, and it is mirrored by another horizontal strip at the lower edge of the side window graphic.

The Focus Vignale Concept’s glass panels are uniquely coloured in Acqua, a blue-green tint that adds an air of exclusivity to its personality and elegantly subdues hues inside the vehicle when it is in coupe mode.

When the car transforms into a convertible, the resulting contrast when the sun streams onto the interior accentuates the concept vehicle’s dual personality.

A new look grille, finished distinctively in chrome, also evokes a feeling that the Focus Vignale Concept could be from an expensive premium brand. Its horizontal bars clearly differentiate the concept vehicle from the new Focus range, hinting at a possible future design direction.

Lower aluminium touches continue at the front and rear of the vehicle, giving visual emphasis to front air ducts and rear exhaust outlets and adding a bold strip along the edge of the bootlid between the tail lamps.

Deep, passionately sculpted 20-inch wheels with wide, sweeping spokes provide an eye-pleasing combination of polished aluminium outer surfaces with machined aluminium on visible inner surfaces.

Emphasis on Luxury

Inside the Ford Focus Vignale Concept, the emphasis is on luxury and the same attention to craftsmanship found in the production Focus models.

"Leather and suede surfaces in Amalfi Light bring an airy feel that complements the spacious interior, which itself offers more generous rear-seat room than many C-segment cabrios on the market today", said Interior Chief Designer, Narendra Karadia.

Subtle Acqua accents are also featured in the interior. Reminiscent of European sports cars’ seat stitching, the contrast of underlying Acqua filetto treatments of Amalfi Light leather seat surfaces are a modern interpretation that conveys luxury and attention to detail. The seat inserts feature horizontal ribbing, another retro feature made more delicate and sophisticated in its contemporary execution.

The upper instrument panel is finished in Black Abalone-coloured leather, while the lower is Amalfi Light suede. Metallic accents on the door panels and steering wheel spokes are another link to the exterior design.

“The Focus Vignale Concept interior benefits from fluid, coherent design, the use of premium materials and the higher level of craftsmanship found across the new Focus range,” said Karadia.

Digital design

Ford of Europe’s Design Group created a special team to create the Ford Focus Vignale Concept. The team took advantage of powerful computer resources to design the concept vehicle entirely within the digital environment, and in record time.

“Its four-season character was created in record time to demonstrate the potential we have in the new Ford Focus range to design future niche derivatives,” said Bird.

"We are looking forward to hearing the reaction to the car in Australia – we believe the Ford Focus Vignale Concept builds on all the strengths of the mainstream Focus, but has extra appeal in an emotive and visceral way.

"This, we believe, will be an especially appealing trait of future Fords.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC1.jpg (10.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg FC2.jpg (11.2 KB, 123 views)
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeap definatley a stunner..cant wait to see what else is there!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
jspec_sti

very nice! Could handle it in my garage.
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

OMG. I'm going against the trend by saying that this "concept" may be the beginning of the end for the Focus. I'm one who is going to say that I don't like it.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm dont like it
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
neb
hibernating

reminds me a little bit of an astra convertible... looks nice
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Harldy a new concept...simply because it has already been seen at another motor show...however I still really like the look of it. Sure, I wouldn't buy it, but it isn't pitched at me anyway.

Hopefully there are some other concepts though...however you never know with Ford, they usually think something like this is so ground-breaking that they don't need another car.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

sexier looking cougar!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Some more Focus Vignale concept images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC3.jpg (12.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg FC4.jpg (17.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg FC5.jpg (21.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg FC6.jpg (19.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg FC7.jpg (10.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Vignale... wtf is with that anyhows!!!

for goods sake Vignale..... sounds like minge to me!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge

LMAO!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
HSE2

Thank god I have more extensive interests then just Ford for my trip next week.

Time to re position that deposit, me thinks. What Audi got going on their stand?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

****. Euro styled cars in Australia seldom work.

Just got the FPV newsletter in my inbox - anybody else seen this 'Super Pursuit'? Looks like they're not even trying anymore : .
Old 03-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

i dont see, what makes it super????
Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it. Very fresh looking i rekon. Big wheels that are used on all concepts always make it look better tho!

It does remind me of a Audi/Saab
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
XD-XF Falcon, EA-EL Falcon, VB-VZ Commodore - All Euro styled or heavy euro styling cues
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid
i dont see, what makes it super????
I know, thats what i mean. Its just a Pursuit with a different front end and GTP rims.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
lol..so what would you like to replace it? The new focus will do ALOT better. Its a beautiful car that kicks **** in all fields!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #19
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

this has to be the most disappointing mms... it's been too long now where ford have done absolutely nothing that's inspiring or exciting... sorry i just can't get excited over this buzz box, some tarted up XR8's and the GTP Ute.

Not good enough ford!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Thank god I have more extensive interests then just Ford for my trip next week.

Time to re position that deposit, me thinks. What Audi got going on their stand?
I don't think Audi have anything all that new there this year although I could be wrong. The New RR Sport and AM DB9 will be there at least
Old 03-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
I don't think Audi have anything all that new there this year although I could be wrong. The New RR Sport and AM DB9 will be there at least
That will do nicely. With any luck I will have to walk past the Ford stand to get there- just to make proceedings time efficient.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 03-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
this has to be the most disappointing mms... it's been too long now where ford have done absolutely nothing that's inspiring or exciting... sorry i just can't get excited over this buzz box, some tarted up XR8's and the GTP Ute.

Not good enough ford!
what would you like exactly? ford are spending there money wisely, not on 15 minutes of fame.

When things are better, then fine blow cash on a one hit wonder, but until then there is no point.

What makes holdens "concepts" so great? The are ALL based of current cars, excluding the torana maybe.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
what would you like exactly? ford are spending there money wisely, not on 15 minutes of fame.

When things are better, then fine blow cash on a one hit wonder, but until then there is no point.

What makes holdens "concepts" so great? The are ALL based of current cars, excluding the torana maybe.
I don't want to see them do what holden do until they have bundles of of cash either... besides, i never mentioned holden concepts...

i guess i'm sick of the territory/fiesta hipe that has gone on and dominated Fords stands at previous shows. Not saying that Territory is not a mighty fine car either.

I would like to see some inspiration come out of broadmeadows... It's been a longtime between drinks..

The AEC coupe and Predator of years gone by were great cars for ford at the time, although they didn't go ahead, they were not far from a reasonable chance. In todays climate, they probably would go ahead...

The BA has thrown ford of AUS a lifeline and resurected some credibility to the brand, along with the great success in the V8 Supercar program, so Ford are in a much better position now, so they need to take advantage of the positive sentiment and show us what they have to offer.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like HSE2 will be most interested what the Euro's have to offer now.

The AUDI's are looking great... and surprisingly so is the new LEXUS GS430.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #25
HSE2

Good question Polyal. It’s highly unlikely any car company is going to spend money on any type of concept without at least having the intention of seeking feedback or developing part or complete business cases off that investment. Sometimes they fall over but that isn't the design in the first place

Its not all roses over at Holden with some pretty significant changes in the wind, but no matter what our personal feelings are towards the "dark side" they always manage to create an impression or illusion depending on stand point that they are moving forward.

To answer where Ford are going wrong in the law according to Ian, would require a new thread
Old 03-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #26
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Gary, Carrozzeria Vignale was one of the long-standing Italian body builders, they have done a lot of cars over the years for Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia etc and also built the De Tomaso Pantera. There was also the Lagonda Vignale concept car from about 10 years ago.

I know its not a “new” concept, but I certainly don’t mind seeing these concepts come down under, it is a lot better to see them in the flesh than just pictures.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #27
RATT

Speaking of Audi, I hear Metallic/ Prestige Paint is a $1500 option! :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

What i meant by Euro cars - look at the Mondeo, Ka etc. I'm not denying its a good car, but it just doesnt really reach out and say 'wow, look at me'.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge

Vignale is a family name whereas minge is some foreign word that roughly translates to "one who tests motor vehicles for ADR emmission compliance"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #30
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Well, Ford seems to be on the up and up with their motor show offerings. Yes sir, they really are surging up the ladder of mediocrity! Another rung higher with each show, and after all these years, STILL nothing to actually get them into the realm of EXCITEMENT!

Passing interest will only equate to so many sales..

To anyone at Ford who bothers to read this thread, please, for the love of all things you hold dear, BUILD A @#)$(*@# EXCITING CONCEPT CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!