Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #31
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Alright blokes stop wetting your panties....I watched live if I remember correctly he crossed the bridge 8 times..the first pass he got the pit crew to turn him round all passes after that he flick turned.(cold tyres normally used for PR)
As for speed I would guesstimate 120/150 tops the car was raised 100ml above normal ride height to allow for the rough surface and it was bouncing something bad.

Apparently the whole deal was watched by an estimated 300 million ppl worldwide,
apart from PR for the GP it will be used to promote tourism in OZ.
thought it looked a bit 4WDish.....and very bumpy too
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I wonder how much trouble you'd get in if you turned around like that on the bridge any other day.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #33
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I wonder how much trouble you'd get in if you turned around like that on the bridge any other day.
You would'nt the amount of traffic on the bridge means to do that you take out about 4 cars...meaning you would'nt damage your own ride on purpose.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #34
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I didn't see the point in it all really.. I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that I couldnt give a toss about F1... but I still think its silly.

Oh btw, I saw it on Channel 10 today and watched him do every lap.
Old 28-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #35
paul7v7
bring it on

i thought it was great. sure you get the odd whinger but if we listened to all of them then we'd never have anything, 5 hrs without the bridge wow, we have a few weeks without lakeside drive where the GP is held.

why not suck the GP PR for all it is worth, if it helps the aussie economy then good on them.
Old 28-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #36
Aeron
DJR Fan

Well, i just re-watched the tape (I taped it) and he crossed the bridge 12times with times from one side of the arch to the other:
Start -->10.9sec
<-- 10.9sec
--> 7.6sec
<-- 8.4sec
--> 8.4sec
<-- 8.1sec
--> 6.8sec
<-- 8.1sec
--> 6.4sec
<-- 6.5sec
--> 6.1sec
Finish<-- 6.6sec

Thats seconds from arch start to arch finish. Its 503m from arch start to arch finish. Does someone want to work out a Km/h based on the times?

At 200Km/h you travel at 55.55556 meter/second (he was doing 81m/sec) it should take 9-ish seconds at 200Km/h but it took him less....3 seconds less.....it took only 6seconds. So he was going paster than 200!!!!

The car was covering 503m in 6.1sec so thats 82.4590m/Sec so thats 296Km/h !!!

Another way to look at it is 503m in 6.1sec = 1006m in 12.2sec = 82.459m/sec = 4947.54m/min = 296582m/hour = 296.582Km/h

WOW!!!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**

Last edited by Aeron; 28-02-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #37
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
The car was covering 503m in 6.1sec so thats 82.4590m/Sec so thats 296Km/h !!!

WOW!!!!
Thats his average speed over the 500m, so what was his top speed? A little over his "allowed" 90km/h i would think... :nutsycuck
Old 28-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #38
Dez
Banned

think you have mis calculated man....there is no way he was doing 296km/h.

they probably didnt have him driving from end to end, they would have it closed off further up the bridge etc....
Old 28-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #39
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

296km/h sounds a bit over the top they would of pulled him up for that as he was only meant to be doing 90km/h as it was a so called safe speed...
Old 28-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #40
Aeron
DJR Fan

I timed him from the start of the arch to the end of the arch 12 times. He had a flying run at the 503m. It wasnt from a stand still. He started about 300+m up the road. Its 503m from the start of the arch to the other end of the arch. You work it out.
This site has the measurements of the bridge. http://bridgepros.com/projects/Sydne...neyHarbour.htm

Old 28-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #41
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid
296km/h sounds a bit over the top they would of pulled him up for that as he was only meant to be doing 90km/h as it was a so called safe speed...
They only say he was doing 90 because of all the ****ers that would come out and say, "0ooooh, speeding on our roads, how can they show this when our kids are crashing because of high speed."

YOU DO THE BLOODY MATHS!!!!!!!!!

They do 0-100 in 1.2sec. With a 300m run up, even if he wasnt flat-out, he would/was doing 295Km/h easy after the 300m run-up plus the 500m on top of that!!! 800m.......296Km/h..........EASY!!!

As i said, you do the maths.

Last edited by Aeron; 28-02-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 28-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #42
Dez
Banned

fair enuf aeron, ill take your word for it on the measurements of the bridge etc, but he was not doing 296km/h or anything near it
Old 28-02-2005, 01:55 AM   #43
Aeron
DJR Fan

So you say im right....it is 503m........and it did take him 6.1sec.........but he wasn't doing 296???

Riiiight!

Old 28-02-2005, 02:23 AM   #44
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

So a major road link is cut for 5 hours so a Premier in a bad jacket can get a press opportunity at Mark Webbers expense.

Did you see the crowds of F1 enthusiasts hanging from the pylons? No? Funny that? Webber had his bit to say and diplomatic it was!

Good on Webber for the thumbs up to the 90K limit, to what was afterall a last ditch publicity effort to a premier well past his use by date. MW has a history of needling premiers.

Why not have Mark Webber do a 6:30 start monday crawl from south west Sydney into the CBD, no worries about staying under 90Ks on that one. Probably be aesphixiated in the tunnel anyway.

NSW Govt did give somes support to WSID I commend that, but WTF was Sundays stunt about other than stopping Carr smelling like POO. The GP is in Victoria if Bodgy Bob hasn't noticed.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #45
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

In todays Daily Telegraph it said that Mark was doing around 160 km/h across the bridge. I highly doubt he would of hit 296 km/h. 196??? Quite probably!!!
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #46
LUXO_8
windsor user

afaik they dont get to 296 down the main straight at albert park, seriously doubt it'd do it across sydney harbour bridge......

yes ive been there, driven across there, walked over there
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #47
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
afaik they dont get to 296 down the main straight at albert park, seriously doubt it'd do it across sydney harbour bridge......

thats what i was gonna say....but didnt want to say it without an actual figure, so people didnt get upset
Old 28-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #48
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

The way the calculations have been done are correct, and if the times are correct then he did an average speed of 296km/h which means he peaked up past that. This seems almost impossible. But, a F1 car awesome acceleartion of 0-150 odd, which could easily account for setting of such a time.

Thats said, looking at footage, he doesnt appear to be anywhere near this speed.
But im not goin to argue with the laws of physics, which say hes was ave 300km/h.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #49
Dez
Banned

a max speed of 296km, on the bridge in the run he did, maybe, but unlikely....didnt appear to happen

an AVERAGE speed of TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY-SIX KILOMETERES PER HOUR...............NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #50
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

Well, thats BS. Have a look at this site... http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s107/st66402.htm ... It say a top speed of 319.7 at Albert Park....

Time it for ya self. Dont just sit on here and say it didnt happen. Time it & do the maths.

I dont think you guys know what a car doing 296 looks like. The camera man on the bridge couldn't pan fast enough.

Last edited by Aeron; 01-03-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #51
Dez
Banned

im pretty sure i know what a car doing that speed looks like. ive been to about 5 aus GP's and watched every other GP on TV.....
Old 01-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #52
Aeron
DJR Fan

To be honest, who gives a rats.....

He wasn't doing 90..... he was going a lot faster....bla bla bla

Old 01-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #53
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres another clip from channel 7...
http://seven.com.au/news/popup_video/7151

They recon he did the 500m in 10 secs or an average speed of 180km/h... not really that quick for an F1 car.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #54
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole thing was really a big ****, not only did they have the entire bridge closed for 5 hours, the public was well and truely excluded from watching it - all areas where the public could have viewed the car - even from a distance, were closed off.

Milsons Point Station - closed
Sydney Harbour Bridge walkways - closed
Observatory hill - closed.

The excuse for the Harbour bridage walkways was that there was a percieved danger of being on the walkways - although this would have required the f1 car to cross an iron fence, bridge pylons, 2 trainlines and a second iron fence.

Apparently only 12 media passes were issued to freelance photographers for the event. Unless you were lucky enough to find your way into an apartment or office block, you had to watch it for yourself on tv.

As for the tourism thing, not a chance in hell - an f1 car doing laps on the harbour bridge on a crap, overcast day would get about 10 seconds of airtime, if that, in england. I remember scheuy took his f1 car through london - regent street or something like that, and it was only on for a couple of seconds.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #55
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
This whole thing was really a big ****, not only did they have the entire bridge closed for 5 hours, the public was well and truely excluded from watching it - all areas where the public could have viewed the car - even from a distance, were closed off.

Milsons Point Station - closed
Sydney Harbour Bridge walkways - closed
Observatory hill - closed.

The excuse for the Harbour bridage walkways was that there was a percieved danger of being on the walkways - although this would have required the f1 car to cross an iron fence, bridge pylons, 2 trainlines and a second iron fence.

Apparently only 12 media passes were issued to freelance photographers for the event. Unless you were lucky enough to find your way into an apartment or office block, you had to watch it for yourself on tv.

As for the tourism thing, not a chance in hell - an f1 car doing laps on the harbour bridge on a crap, overcast day would get about 10 seconds of airtime, if that, in england. I remember scheuy took his f1 car through london - regent street or something like that, and it was only on for a couple of seconds.
Crowds were kept away to quell the laughter at Bob Carr's tweed racing Jacket!! :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #56
Dez
Banned

lmao at the ****er of a channel 7 reporter

"the tw26, which stands for fast and loud" now i may just be an idiot, but that line would have only worked if the letters corresponded with what he said lol :tosser1:

"thats 180km/h, more than double what the rest of us are allowed..." shame we arent in F1 cars that can stop on a dime, and that people drive on the bridge with hundreds of cars....

lol, channel 7, that guy is a ****er :tosser1:
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 PM   #57
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
lmao at the ****er of a channel 7 reporter

"the tw26, which stands for fast and loud" now i may just be an idiot, but that line would have only worked if the letters corresponded with what he said lol :tosser1:

"thats 180km/h, more than double what the rest of us are allowed..." shame we arent in F1 cars that can stop on a dime, and that people drive on the bridge with hundreds of cars....

lol, channel 7, that guy is a ****er :tosser1:
LOL, also the one "his (Webbers) 5 laps were easy enough on the straights, then on the turns (cue footage of Webber ripping a small burnout trying to turn around)... the RTA is going to be happy with that".
ROFL, whats the fu<k is the RTA going to do about it? They were the ones who bloody closed the road off for him... :
Old 01-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #58
Dez
Banned

lol that 1 was always good....they tried to make it sound like he was driving his F1 car to work and had to obey road laws!

it wasnt a public road at the time, so all of what they said was irrelevant. :jerk:
Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #59
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
LOL, also the one "his (Webbers) 5 laps were easy enough on the straights, then on the turns (cue footage of Webber ripping a small burnout trying to turn around)... the RTA is going to be happy with that".
ROFL, whats the fu<k is the RTA going to do about it? They were the ones who bloody closed the road off for him... :
the RTA can always try impound the car for 3 months :
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #60
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
the RTA can always try impound the car for 3 months :
I'd like to see that!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post