Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default CAMS to deny Robby Gordon future competition visa

So it seems Robby Gordon did a couple of doughys in the street in his Stadium Super Truck in Darwin after the round at the V8s.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/20/...petition-visa/

He got fined and now CAMS are saying they won't renew his competition license. And because Robby owns the championship, I wonder if that means we won't see it come back here.

It would be a bloody shame because it's such a crowd favourite. Sure it's not the most skillful category, but it's bloody good fun to watch, and they throw those things around. And being an American series, it only adds to the Aussie Supercars exposure.

But the muppets at CAMS sure know how to kill Aussie motorsport

What's wrong with slap on the wrist and a small fine, and leave it at that?

I get that they don't want to be seen allowing or promoting the "hoon" image, but come on....he's a professional racing driver, who does that **** day in, day out.

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I couldn't see it anywhere else.
Old 20-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: CAMS to deny Robby Gordon future competition visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
I get that they don't want to be seen allowing or promoting the "hoon" image, but come on....he's a professional racing driver, who does that **** day in, day out.
Sorry, professionals are known to have accidents!
Examples have to be set at times with rules and clearly Cams acted.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cams need a hummer and a chicken feed
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Sorry, professionals are known to make mistakes & have accidents!
Examples have to be set at times with rules.
Yep, that is very true. I'm not saying he would never make a mistake and never have anything go wrong.

But to deny him a future competition license? I think that's very harsh. To think of the money, the crowd numbers, the overseas spectators that he's brought to Australian Supercars with his Stadium Super Trucks, they go and do that to him?

Very harsh I reckon.

Remember Lewis Hamilton doing a burnout in is Merc a few years ago. Sure it was a road legal car. And he comes under the FIA, not CAMS. But same thing really. Nothign else came of that except a fine.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Trevor 57
is now there

apparently it was in Darwin City for a promotion at a pub, then he did the burnout just before they loaded back onto a truck to take it back to the track
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea, he was about to load it onto the back of a truck, so he had someone at each end of the road to close it off for a minute, then took it out did a couple of doughnuts, before loading it onto the truck. So it wasn't just a planned hoon run. But CAMS don't care. They're the ONLY ones who don't like this kind of thing.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First off.......I'm no fan of stadium super trucks.....I'd much rather see a field of F5000's going hard at it.....but that's just my view....
Gordon is an experienced racer and businessman who really should have used more common sense and known what was at stake due to his actions.....
A fine and/or suspension for a period of time?.....fair enough....
They want to can his licence, not the whole category, and there's no reason it couldn't continue without him......he can still run it, he can still attend races, he just won't be able to compete?.....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegSpec View Post
They want to can his licence, not the whole category, and there's no reason it couldn't continue without him......he can still run it, he can still attend races, he just won't be able to compete?.....
Yes, that's what's happening. But knowing what usually happens, it more often than not snowballs from there. Who knows what would end up happening. Given the effort he and the others go to, to bring the series and all the equipment over here, he might just tell them to stick it.

It wouldn't surprise me, given the way CAMS have reacted.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Larrikin Legacy

The Australian stereotype is intertwined with notions of larrikinism. It is a stereotype of a fundamentally good person that tests the boundaries of dubious rules. As defined by historian Manning Clark,

“Soaring over them all is the larrikin; almost archly self conscious- to smart for his own good, witty rather than humorous, exceeding limits, bending rules and sailing close to the wind, avoiding rather than evading responsibility, playing to an audience, mocking pomposity and smugness, taking the **** out of people, cutting down tall poppies, born of a Wednesday, looking both ways for a Sunday, larger than life, sceptical, iconoclastic, egalitarian yet suffering fools badly, and, above all, defiant."

Although not all Australians are larrikins (most could probably be defined as quite conservative), when it comes to finding icons, no other character stereotype has proved to be as popular with Australians as a whole. In real life, these icons include bushranger Ned Kelly, swimmer Dawn Fraser, digger John Simpson, French resistance leader Nancy Wake, cricketer Shane Warne, actor Errol Flynn and singer Bon Scott. In movies, the larrikin characters of Mick Dundee (Crocodile Dundee) and Daryl Kerrigan (The Castle) have also proved popular with the public.

At the opposite end of the personality spectrum is the wowser. As defined in 1960 by Eugene Gorman QC,

"Wowser is a simple, satisfying, succinct, single word which aptly distinguishes the whole race of windy, watery, cantankerous, snuffling Chadbands, Stiggines, Holy Joes and Scripture-sprouting sneaks, hypocritical humbugs, and unctuous, dirty-minded rotters, who spend their time interfering with the healthy instincts and recreations of healthy-minded, honest humanity."

The Australian affection for the larrikin and scorn for the wowser can probably be traced to the 80 years of Convict transportation that characterised the founding third of Australia’s urban existence. Many of the Convicts showed that they were more likeable, and more respectable, that those who had put them there, or made them into outlaws.

The word itself seems to have been coined by an Irish policeman in a Melbourne court who claimed the prisoner was "larkin about". Overtime, larrikin became a word for people of the streets that were seen as potential criminals. For reasons that probably had something to do with the oppressive nature of Australian society, it also developed a positive connotation.

Has Wowsersim won?
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Robbie Gordon has been known to have the odd brain implosion
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
Robbie Gordon has been known to have the odd brain implosion
And CAMS is totally innocent of that..... NOT
Old 20-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Unfortunately Robby Gordon has 'form' for mucking about off track, like when he crashed into one of his support cars whilst trying to pass drinks from car to car at speed in a Dakar rally.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Cams should stay out of it, but NT police should have a word to him about driving (?) an unregistered vehicle on public roads.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The powers to be have taken the whole "risk" thing too far.
It's the same as political correctness going too far

Last year I went to a Oz supermoto round, the winner, after an exceptional ride and win, pulled a straight long wheelie, and they fined him for it. He was trusted to bang bars sideways into turn one at 130km/hr but couldn't be trusted to pull a wheelie post race (and after proving he had the best bike control by winning for those of you that need someone to join the dots)

that's what the punter wants to see.

Chalk up another win for the NANNY NATION.

Oh, and for the "perfect" ford forum members that have never made a mistake in their life. Best you don't go visit something like the Woodward dream cruise, your heads might explode at seeing cars doing burnouts on public roads next to other cars.

I mean FFS people jump out of planes without parachutes for publicity. Much higher risk activities around.....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #15
flightstrike

This wont be a popular opinion, but it's an opinion nonetheless.

I have no sympathy for him. If I did it, I'd have the book thrown at me. Just because he's a professional driver, does NOT mean he's above the of us and can break a road rule (in an unregistered vehicle) for fun.

I'm a professional airline pilot. If I take an aircraft for a fly and operate it illegally, I'll be toasted! No difference.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
The powers to be have taken the whole "risk" thing too far.
It's the same as political correctness going too far

Last year I went to a Oz supermoto round, the winner, after an exceptional ride and win, pulled a straight long wheelie, and they fined him for it. He was trusted to bang bars sideways into turn one at 130km/hr but couldn't be trusted to pull a wheelie post race (and after proving he had the best bike control by winning for those of you that need someone to join the dots)

that's what the punter wants to see.

Chalk up another win for the NANNY NATION.

Oh, and for the "perfect" ford forum members that have never made a mistake in their life. Best you don't go visit something like the Woodward dream cruise, your heads might explode at seeing cars doing burnouts on public roads next to other cars.

I mean FFS people jump out of planes without parachutes for publicity. Much higher risk activities around.....
I was young and impressionable once! You might understand one day.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #17
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Michael Phelps got caught ripping a bong, lost his Kellogg's sponsor, then went on to win a total of 28 Olympic medals. I'm sure Robbo will bounce back.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #18
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I was young and impressionable once! You might understand one day."

I understand the laws of probability,
the probability of occurrence, severity and detection
That's enough.

As I said, Best you don't visit any auto related event stateside.
Your head would explode with what they get up to, when compared to Australia.

How do the young learn in your environs ?
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #19
lgpking22

robby gordon listen to the lawwwwwwwwwww break the deal face the wheelllll
lgpking22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

First and foremost Gordon is a showman and the 'show' he has been bringing to our shores these last few years is a crowd pleaser.

Yes; it probably wasn't the smartest thing he's ever done but it's far from the stupidest by a long shot and it's a matter for the NT police rather than CAMS.

In effect, banning him from driving will see the series not back here given he owns it and there are plenty of other places in the APAC region that would love to have it.

I thought CAMS had improved in recent years but it seems that their acronym hasn't changed meaning and it still stands for C**** Against Motor Sport.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I'm with CAMS on this, tell the Septic to F off back to the States and lets start our own series and call it something like Grandstand Mega Utes!
Old 21-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
Trevor 57
is now there

my bet is that V8Supercars will force a CAMS backdown as it mucking around with their income
Old 21-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
I have no sympathy for him. If I did it, I'd have the book thrown at me. Just because he's a professional driver, does NOT mean he's above the of us and can break a road rule (in an unregistered vehicle) for fun.

I'm a professional airline pilot. If I take an aircraft for a fly and operate it illegally, I'll be toasted! No difference.
This is an easy argument to make but by your logic we should have no sympathy for the young man who took a poster (illegal activity) in North Korea and was returned to the US in a coma and subsequently died. The law has dealt with Gordon and its a bit rich for the judge to encourage a double penalty from the governing body.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #24
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegSpec View Post
First off.......I'm no fan of stadium super trucks.....I'd much rather see a field of F5000's going hard at it.....but that's just my view....
Gordon is an experienced racer and businessman who really should have used more common sense and known what was at stake due to his actions.....
A fine and/or suspension for a period of time?.....fair enough....
Time for a new keyboard I think, you got a sticky full stop key.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Time for a new keyboard I think, you got a sticky full stop key.
At least it gets used.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He committed a traffic offense that the local police should deal with. CAMS should have nothing to do with it because it has nothing to do with racing.

It's like if a plumber started driving like an idiot in his company ute, then when he was caught his plumbing licence was suspended not his driving licence.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
Trevor 57
is now there

CAMS are a bunch of self-important tools who are out of touch with the real world, they are supposed to be a 'member organisation' it has been years since they actually gave a **** about their members
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #28
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The Larrikin Legacy

The Australian stereotype is intertwined with notions of larrikinism. It is a stereotype of a fundamentally good person that tests the boundaries of dubious rules. As defined by historian Manning Clark,

“Soaring over them all is the larrikin; almost archly self conscious- to smart for his own good, witty rather than humorous, exceeding limits, bending rules and sailing close to the wind, avoiding rather than evading responsibility, playing to an audience, mocking pomposity and smugness, taking the **** out of people, cutting down tall poppies, born of a Wednesday, looking both ways for a Sunday, larger than life, sceptical, iconoclastic, egalitarian yet suffering fools badly, and, above all, defiant."

Off topic but my dad took the crap out of me on a daily basis for 20 years under the guise of being a Larrakin, Everyone loved him too. I'm still suffering from it to this day because he deliberately completely destroyed my educational career from grade 6 on up. Calling me a complete loser every time I came home from 5 hours per day of study isn't simply taking the **** its violent behavior. Especially when he threatened to call the police on me and have me thrown out of the house and tell them that I beat him up.

Later on in life I found out that he used to regularly beat my mum and his father was a drunk that liked to beat the **** out of him.

My point in sharing this personal information is that the Larrakin can also be a cloak for serious mental problems which in most civilized countries will get you multiple jail sentences. I really doubt anyone here would be cheering him on if he killed someone.

There is a damn good reason why CAMS reprimanded him. He took the car onto a public road and started ****ing around. Do you seriously want this truck on your roads again? When something else could be ****ed up? Where a kid gets killed?

If cams want their drivers to show a sense of professionalism then thats up to them to decide. At the very least we should expect drivers to adhere to the rules of the roads. That is the last safeguard that we have left.

Pull your ****ing head in.

Last edited by moneypit; 21-06-2017 at 10:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #29
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Extremely long bow to draw there Mr Moneymouth!
To compare a burnout by a professional racer with child abuse?? Comeon!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #30
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Extremely long bow to draw there Mr Moneymouth!
To compare a burnout by a professional racer with child abuse?? Comeon!
I'm not comparing child abuse with a burnout. I'm comparing "zipping"s explanation of his behavior as larrikinism.

If this thread was the one about the XW GT which crashed into a house injuring 4 and killing an unborn child then none of you would be condoning his behavior.

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11420879

The guy got 2 years prison yet some of you are saying that CAMS is too strict by taking away his licence for a season?

Parallels with this and Robby Gordons car are similar.
Both are unregistered.
Both are unlicenced.

Yet because nothing happened in Gordons case some of you are for the behavior.

https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...9&postcount=27

My favorite comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
no sympathy for the idiot
uninsured and un registered

all these people hurt because of some peanut not thinking for 5 mins

im sure we've all done stupid stuff over the years and came out clean....but this shows the other side and how easily it can get out of control and ruin some lives
Which got 17 likes.

All I'm offering is a reality check.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post