Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default 2017 Audi RS3 sedan first drive review

Quote:
2017 Audi RS3 sedan first drive review

DRIVE
15 June 2017
Peter McKay

2017 Audi RS3 sedan. Photo: Mark Bramley

Conservative looks hide fire-breathing performance.

With the same cracking engine as the one propelling the feisty Audi TT RS, of course we are keen to have a drive of the just launched Audi RS3 Sedan.

Supporting Audi's boast that the RS3 Sedan is a car genuinely appropriate for road and track, our first local drive took us across some of Tasmania's standout targa-type roads followed by some keen laps at Hobart's newly- resurfaced Baskerville Raceway, with its spectacular rise and fall, and off-camber blind turns over crests. It's an old-style circuit that once was - back in the olden days - a venue for the Australian Sports Sedan Championship and other national-level races.

The RS3 Sedan looks terrific, better than in the photos. And settling into that delightful cabin with snug, well-dressed seats that contain the backside and torso like a good sporty car should is merely a welcoming precursor to an emotional surge when, after choosing the dynamic model in the Drive Select menu, you push the red start button and a glorious gurgle emits from the rear. That's not a contended baby; that's the boisterous five-cylinder soundtrack with its unique 1-2-4-5-3 firing order amplified through the standard RS sports exhaust.

It can be muted if you choose. But our choice is to get the full untrammelled exhaust track accompanying optimised settings that ginger-up performance - livelier throttle, weightier steering, quick-fire gearbox shifting, and a quattro system better responding to the driver.

That engine is as willing and flexible as we anticipated - no doubt the RS3 confirms or betters the Audi boast of 0-100km/h in 4.1 seconds - and the brisk progress is accompanied by contended aural activity via those generously dimensioned pipes. As the revs rise, so does the pleasant growl, with the magical ka-boom on every urgent paddle-triggered upshift.

Audi has resisted any temptation to smother the engine – indeed the whole car – with a refinement overload. It has character and a fun-filled streak.

It plain that the deliriously feverish five-pot engine is happiest above 2500rpm, and it races with no overt turbo lag and irrepressible zest to 7000rpm.

For less frenetic motoring, peak torque starts early at a trundling 1700rpm and eases at 5850rpm just when the power hits its zenith.

The engine's natural exhibitionism contrasts with the satisfyingly levels of cornering grip and composure over fussy, snaky tarmac. The steel-spring underpinnings work nicely to deal with the handling and ride demands through fast directional changes. There's little obvious body roll and the whole balance of the car is more neutral than ever, with little sign of front-end push except in hairpins. With the lighter engine sitting over the front axle line and improvement in suspension and torque vectoring, the RS's nose is way more willing to steer into bends.

Other than the TT RS, it's hard to think of a more agreeable car at the limit.

In comfort mode and merely cruising, there is tyre grumble from the Pirellis on coarser macadam. But this is a road-and-track machine, not a limo. Suck it up.

There was a time when Audi's steering was as communicative as a shop window dummy. Not now. The electrically assisted steering is sweet and well-weighted.

Tasmania's back roads are as challenging as you find anywhere, carved into the terrain a century ago with no expectations of dealing with 400 horsepower rockets. The ripply bumpy tarmac may have been created to take the strut right out of Mr Macpherson. They're a fine test of the new RS3 Sedan's dynamic qualities.

Riding on old-school steel springs, the RS3's progress is firm but compliant enough. We're immediately pleasantly surprised by the RS's management of the lumpy bits and excellent recovery when bounding off bigger blemishes in the surface. Only once during the journey over several Targa Tasmania stages did the front suspension bottom out (in a pot hole).

Based on this experience, it might be hard to justify splurging on optional magnetic ride dampers.

And then we're at Baskerville where the only speed limit is the size nine boot at the end of your right leg.

We do a few laps, the RS3 barking and snarling and crackling, but all the time without behavioural misdemeanours. It feels fast, but easy-fast as a well-sorted, cohesive sporty car package should be.

The S-tronic dual clutch's full-throttle upshifts are so-quick and accompanied by a great mini explosion from the tailpipes. But to protect the 'box from abuse, it ignores demands to shift down if the revs are modestly high. But, yes, it does 'blip' when shifting down.

Braking is firm and consistent, and we're loving that steering. The rig turns in with just some understeer on the tight turns but then after a slightest throttle adjustment to encourage front-tyre bite, hard on the gas to capitalise on its remarkable all-wheel-drive traction-down abilities.

For track work, when some serious paddle shifting is tasked, the versatile digital virtual cockpit display can prioritise a big centre tacho. Other gauges of importance are a boost pressure indicator, tyre pressure readout, oil temperature gauge, g-force meter and lap timer.

Track or road, the RS3 Sedan meets the job criteria like few others.

2017 Audi RS3 Sedan Pricing and specifications

Price: $84,900 plus on-road costs

Engine: 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo petrol

Power: 294kW at 5850-7000rpm

Torque: 480Nm at 1700rpm-5850rpm

Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic, all-wheel drive

Fuel use: 8.4 L/100km combined or 8.5with wider front tyre/wheels

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...15-gws5eg.html

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2017 Audi RS3 sedan first drive review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QHBrMK5-_Q

Henry Catchpole takes one for a blast around Oman. Loving DriveTribe.....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Yes please
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I've been anticipating the release of the sedan version, it'll be the one for the masses I think. Looks a great package.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm much more a fan of the sedan than the hatch variant. The only criticism I would have is the wheels are pretty bland but you can change that easily.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #6
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spose it's auto only

Hmm electric handbrake

Wonder if it has the stop start technology

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Uwish

Yes it has that sh*t feature.
Was going to go the RS3 sedan but hate the double pressed wheel arch.
So M3 competition pack or New c63.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
Guess that explains the awesome economy ....no idling in town

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post

There is a massive price difference between the RS3 and those other two- they're not even in the same league At that level of performance Audi don't do a comparable RS sedan for the money (RS4 os Avant/wagon albeit bloody cool) so I get the comparison in a way, but it's not a fair one IMO. There's a formidable choice in S6 and the like though.

Had to check what you were even talking about with the wheel arches

I'd love to flog the crap out of an RS3 though!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I've thrashed an RS3 hatch recently and I've got to say it's probably the best handling production car I've ever driven. And that's saying something as I've driven a lot of cool machinery over the years.

The hatch with more power and better looks will be a winner. For well under $100K, it's hard to imagine anything in its price range getting close to it.

A manual option would be nice, but I think we have to start getting used to the fact that self-shifters are a thing of the past. It's a shame, but it's just where the automotive world is headed.
Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #11
GT2

They're not under $100k. Went looking at the weekend and was a little over $100k drive away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
They're not under $100k. Went looking at the weekend and was a little over $100k drive away.

At $85k plus on roads plus the cost of the compulsory options you have to have in the first batch of Aussie cars, coupled with a demand possibly greater than supply atm, I'm not surprised. Wonder what dealer delivery is at the moment; $6k?

Wait til the new year and you'll get a 2017 build for mid 80s driveaway
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post

Unfortunately I'm not in any position to go find out myself, so I'll defer to your first hand account. I was merely referencing the list price.
Old 20-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Uwish

Yep option the rs3 up and its around 110k the M3 comp pack is under 140k
C63.... hoping around 160k. ( that is the killer )
M3 seems like the best value. Plus I will be adding individual pint @ 8k :(
Old 20-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

The appeal for mine regarding the M3 is the manual option. It may not be the option most would desire ghese days, but for me it's what would get it over the line.
Old 21-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #16
Uwish

DSG for me all the way for a daily.
The last car I wish we kept that was a manual was the LP640. ( weekend car )
Now you can't buy a 3 peddle exotic :(