Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Wots going on with crude oil?

Make sure you stock up while you can. All of our fuel is imported. Two days without supply. No fuel left.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #32
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Maybe if you don't see a problem with ever rising costs then you have a problem
Cut him some slack, he is from Canberra. A place renowned for being out of touch with the rest of Australia.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #33
moneypit

Just think if the price of petrol goes up again all of those SUVs that are growing like cancer on our roads will have to pull over and pull out a diamond or two to pay to fill it up again.

I don't know where you guys are getting the money from for all of these SUVs but I saw an ad for a Toyota Rav4 on tv today and couldn't help but laugh my **** off with the amount of boot space that it has.

And whenever I go to the shops in the rich part of town all I ever see are these SUVs where you cannot even put a bar fridge in the back let alone a 350 litre fridge like we used to do in the XFs. Or a 6.5 kg maytag washing machine.

What the hell are you guys using them for!? You seriously need a fragile AWD vehicle for picking up groceries and shoes!?

Take a look in the back of a 4x4 sometime and compare the amount of cargo space to a Ford Falcon Wagon. There is no comparison.

If the world really did cark it or there was a natural disaster near you and you had to get out of dodge you wouldn't be carrying anything more than your clothes and your kids in an SUV.

No room left for food. I cannot think of a more useless vehicle than an SUV without a towball. I really cant.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...february-53389

Its like watching a bunch of lemmings jump off a cliff.

I really see no sense in the so-called modern day Wagon either. I mean really a sloping roof at the back isn't a wagon. Its called a hatchback.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-advice/wagons-vs-suvs
Quote:
BOOT SPACE
One of the main reasons you may choose a wagon over a soft-roader is the boot.
The popularity of SUVs has killed off some of the really big-booted beasts, namely the Ford Falcon. While the aforementioned Commodore Sportwagon is an attractive and resolved design, it sacrificed its boot space for its shape – the Sportwagon has a useful 900L boot, but this is a whopping 500L less than its VZ wagon predecessor.
However, this is still better than some SUVs, particularly in the compact sector, which can offer an upright space smaller than some hatches. Be sure to investigate the boot space with seats up and down, and check that the seats fold fully flat if you need a really big cargo area for load-lugging.

Last edited by moneypit; 13-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #34
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
Its like watching a bunch of lemmings jump off a cliff.
Whenever a thing that I don't like or understand grows exponentially it occurs to me that it's not necessarily the case that everyone else is wrong.

Perhaps we're both right but have different opinions.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #35
5wheelguy

What's going on???

It's very simple.

Human beings will never ever even want a new type of fuel - unless it can make car go vroom vroom.

Lame. But whatever. Just like the fuel itself, it's a dying dinosaur. The future will laugh at us.
Old 14-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #36
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
Whenever a thing that I don't like or understand grows exponentially it occurs to me that it's not necessarily the case that everyone else is wrong.

Perhaps we're both right but have different opinions.
I've found that the most ****ed off the other person is the more right on target I am with my argument.

I agree with you on your post. I've also found that most times arguments are caused by people who don't realize that both sides can be right in any argument. No matter how riled up and angry each side gets.

I've also found that most people don't actually remember what a different opinion is anymore. Because everyone has their heads embedded in their phones they all have the same opinions now. A different one comes along and it completely sideswipes them and they aren't prepared for it because they've never heard a real different opinion before.

Or maybe we've always been that way. I mean just look at what happened to Jesus, John Lennon, Kennedy.. etc.

What shocks me is just how passe people are about all of this. Just how stable things are now doesn't mean the road isn't crumbling underneath.

Remember that in 2008 we had a stimulus package to bail out the banks. We're living off the injection of funds that that stimulus package caused. If the economy was in good shape it would stand on its own and not need anything to keep it afloat.

I'm also suprised these two movies haven't yet been posted to this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnZuxA3slg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odCZpBPfFQk

Last edited by moneypit; 14-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 14-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #37
NOI551

I'm still dirty that 2 years ago, E85 was under $1 per litre..

Now - it's up there with 98 prices..
Old 14-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #38
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I've found that the most ****ed off the other person is the more right on target I am with my argument.
We're most likely thinking on different levels. My comment was based solely on differing preferences on cars. There's no right and wrong. If there was, we'd only need one car and we'd all own it.

Quote:
What shocks me is just how passe people are about all of this. Just how stable things are now doesn't mean the road isn't crumbling underneath.
I don't know what "all of this" is but history tells us that the road is always "crumbling underneath".
There are countless historic examples of this or that invention or event, etc, meaning the end of the world.

If youtube had been around when rock and roll hit the scene it would have been full of doomsayers. For that reason I don't follow youtube links (ie that youtube is full of doomsayers).

I reckon someone will inform me if the world actually ends

Last edited by ronwest; 14-06-2017 at 01:24 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #39
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Cut him some slack, he is from Canberra. A place renowned for being out of touch with the rest of Australia.
Bit jealous are we? hehe no I'm not a politician, I actually pay for my fuel.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #40
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
We're most likely thinking on different levels. My comment was based solely on differing preferences on cars. There's no right and wrong. If there was, we'd only need one car and we'd all own it.

I don't know what "all of this" is but history tells us that the road is always "crumbling underneath".
There are countless historic examples of this or that invention or event, etc, meaning the end of the world.

If youtube had been around when rock and roll hit the scene it would have been full of doomsayers. For that reason I don't follow youtube links (ie that youtube is full of doomsayers).

I reckon someone will inform me if the world actually ends
You are living on a planet right now. A rock floating in space. It has finite resources and finite amounts of oxygen. Finite amounts of land.

The way that we think today the "all of this" of our society is hedged upon the bet that we live in a world where there are infinite resources on the planet.

Once that balance is put back into place then we can live in harmony with the planet and I guarantee you that an episode of The Block won't be airing on television.

Failure to accept the fact that we are on a planet with finite resources is the "all of this" that people are attached to. If this planet was called Mars and we were living on a colony on Mars we would have to deal with this lack of resources on an everyday basis. But we have the luxury of living on a planet with fresh air.

We have to take responsibility and pay back the debt that we've taken from the planet or else we won't have a planet left. The wow factor which really shocks me is that everyone thinks that buying a hybrid is going to fix things. Its much bigger than that. If you're not growing food at home you will be a part of the big finacial crunch of the future.

We need to all collectivley pay off the home that we have right now and collectivley refuse to pay land rates. Then grow food on our land and cut off all of the utilities. If we don't do this we will be perpetually stuck on an ever growing price increase in the cost of items and it will crush everyone.

Sure you can get an electric car and charge them with solar panels that are on your roof, that is a desirable thing that is still possible to do post-collapse. But right now we are dependent upon a system that is based upon the thinking of the 1950s when we all used alkaline batteries and drove V8 gas guzzlers and had homes 40km away from the city center and got our food from another country.

Once we start thinking locally we can start to build a sustainable society. Keeping on buying SUVs isn't going to fix anything its just a bandaid on the old system, designed to make you feel happy. Probably the only device which would survive post-collapse would be a bicycle with a wagon attached to the back. Those SUVs will be useless because the cost to fill up a tank will be incredible.

And once there is a finacial collapse then good luck affording a new battery pack for a hybrid/all electric when the cost of lithium is incredible.

I don't even care if the farming at home is done by machines and is fully automated. Plastic right now is incredibly cheap and recycling can keep a steady supply of cheap plastic for us. And the machines can be solar powered. But the thing is we need to start doing these things, we need the experience and we need the foundations and we need the guts to quit our jobs and start being sustainable.

Just be sure that you know how to recognize the signs of a collapse.

Last edited by moneypit; 14-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 14-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #41
ronwest

Quote:
*Clipped the good stuff for brevity*

Just be sure that you know how to recognize the signs of a collapse.
Yep, all good.

With respect, I won't have to recognise the signs of collapse.

There will be enough people telling me about it.

This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #42
moneypit

Nice read:
https://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/a...ol-production/

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/e...205-1ahgx.html

Quote:
It's difficult to say exactly, because the claimed CO2 benefits of E85 vary depending on where the fuel is being used and how it is produced but the E85 Commodore emitted somewhere between 5.5 per cent and 26 per cent less CO2 than the E10 car. The difference was greater again compared with the premium unleaded car.

But running the new Commodore on E85 comes at an additional financial cost - at least for now (see breakout). The E85 car was the most expensive to fuel on our test (remembering fuel prices can vary markedly), even if only just. Some will no doubt see it as a small price to pay for potential environmental benefits.

There's also the less easily measured benefit of creating local jobs and reducing our dependence on imported fuels, something that comes to the fore when price volatility kicks in due to tensions in the Middle East.
Whichever way fuel prices go, though, they're unlikely to remain where they are and having the ability to choose what fuel to use has to be a good thing.
I would be for a major shift towards E85, especially if it means less reliance on outside fuel sources. We would be just like Brazil then.

But I would also install LPG primarily because its a good idea to be able to use 3x fuel sources. RON95/E85 and LPG. But also because its because we can produce our own LPG gas domestically.

I spotted this on ebay. Wondering how well it would work on my 6cyl AU.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...-/322427218179

If I do go down this route its going to be a very busy engine bay!

Last edited by moneypit; 14-06-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 14-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #43
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Money pit'......That Ebay gizmo might work..... but AU's were never designed to run on E85 or even E10.

E85 will destroy/corrode all the seals etc in your fuel system and you'll be up for big repair bills.

Only cars that i know of that can run pure E85 are Commodores?

In VIC E10 is only 2-3cents cheaper than 91 and you burn more of it so its not worth it.

I'm back on 91 now after having a bad batch of E10 after car just would not start one cold morning until battery went flat so i needed a tow truck across town and diagnosis of bad fuel at local mechanics.

Total cost that day was $500.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 14-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #44
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
'Money pit'......That Ebay gizmo might work..... but AU's were never designed to run on E85 or even E10.

Yes I just messaged the seller of the gizmo and he said it won't work with LPG converted vehicles.

I would much rather go with a LPG/Petrol conversion then if thats the case and forget about E85. I've been convinced of that after reading a few threads of E85 pumps disappearing statewide.
Old 21-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #45
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oil has dropped down to $43 per barrel this morning.

Pump prices should be cheaper soon.

News said thers a glut of coming into the market.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #46
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

News this morning says ULP is down a whole 5 cents for next few weeks.....woop de doo!

At least Adelaide is down to $1.02, but Melbourne is $1.18 and Tassie is $1.25

Cant remember Qld price but i hope its come down from the 30c rise they had a few weeks ago?

Last edited by GASWAGON; 27-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.