Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Prepping for a trip to the outback

Hi guys,

So I'm interviewing tomorrow for a job in Winton, Queensland. Out past Longreach.

Assuming I get the job, i'll be driving out there, and living there for six months.

A few months ago I did a drive to Queanbeyan and back, (1,200km each way), but didn't really do any prep for the journey. It was a last minute decision to go, but I was also conscious that there was a lot of traffic along the way and never very far from a town.

I believe it's proper highway all the way out there, but can still be quite remote.
What sort of prep should I be looking at doing?

I have a 2009 G6E, serviced it January, but having it looked at prior to leaving might not be a bad idea in any case.

I'm thinking a full spare tyre rather than (or in addition to) the space saver.

I'd like to have a 4wd, because the road to where I would be working is unsealed and 4wd only after rain (but carpooling with someone with a 4wd is probably an option), and I'd like to spend time exploring the region, camping, etc. But it's not a permanent gig, and I feel like i'd be downgrading vehicles, and if I was to return and sell the 4wd for another car, it would be yet another downgrade.

While I should probably wait until I get the job before worrying about the logistics of the trip, I can't help but think about it!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Prepping for a trip to the outback

Where are you coming from ? Are you going to be working in the dinosaur diggings ?
The Winton > Jundah road can be closed if there is black cloud in the sky.
Winton & Longreach are not 'outback or remote', just a long way from a capital city. The roads are good. I would be more worried about hitting a roo, but if drive carefully and look around you should be right.
It is not a big adventure requiring big preparations, a well serviced Falcon is more than sufficient.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, possibly at the dino museum. Would be starting in April.

It's certainly more remote than anywhere I've been before!
I am thinking I might avoid night driving, as much as I prefer it, to avoid roos.

Are many of the national parks and camping spots accessible by 2wd?
Old 15-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Roos and emus don't really care if it's night or day.

Definitely a proper spare and as Ira said, the major roads are good, just don't go off them.

If you can afford it, buy a 4WD and sell it when you've finished. You don't have to spend a motza.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A small, cheap 4wd would be a good idea, and also about not driving between sunset and sunrise.
The road out to the ‘Age of Dinosaurs’ is unsealed, good condition, but dusty when dry, and muddy when wet, so you are going to get the Falcon very dirty, and dust stays in your car forever. My Commodore ute has dust in its private parts that the best of cleaning can’t get rid of.
Best of luck with the job ........ beautiful country out there ...... the dust might even get into you, and that makes you want to stay.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Take one of these, just in case.

Last edited by marty351; 11-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
A small, cheap 4wd would be a good idea, and also about not driving between sunset and sunrise.
The road out to the ‘Age of Dinosaurs’ is unsealed, good condition, but dusty when dry, and muddy when wet, so you are going to get the Falcon very dirty, and dust stays in your car forever. My Commodore ute has dust in its private parts that the best of cleaning can’t get rid of.
Best of luck with the job ........ beautiful country out there ...... the dust might even get into you, and that makes you want to stay.
I'm half thinking driving out in the falcon (far more comfy on a long trip!), then when i have saved a few dollars get a cheap 4wd for camping and the like. I figure there'd be a few places to buy out there. The internet fails me when it comes to finding anything though.

I have been doing photography for a long time, and what I am interested in more than anything these days is... well, like this guy's stuff. http://www.thestartrail.com/Starry-Nights/Landscapes and it seems the perfect place for it.
So it very well could get into me. My gf back home may not like that though.
Old 15-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll probably get a better value 4wd in a city area than out there.
Old 15-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
You'll probably get a better value 4wd in a city area than out there.
My main issue with that is it'll involve selling the Falcon. I've been doing part time/casual work for months now since being made redundant, so finances are tight.

While it has a lot of kms, it's been super reliable, as well as comfortable and great to drive. I doubt i'd get more than 7 for it, less if I trade it in.
Then hopping into an unknown, older car for the trip.

If I then sell it when I get home, i'm losing more money again.
But still considering it.
Old 15-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Falcon will go OK, Just not before dawn/dusk or at night.
You will need to keep an out out for Roos, though. There of plenty of people out there who drive lots of rubbish around, eg: I saw a Fiat Punto out the a couple of years ago with a big shiny 5 post bull bar hanging off the front.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Prepping for a trip to the outback is easy....gun, disposable gloves, zip ties, chainsaw, shovel, large black plastic bags, lime, at least thats what I take.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've driven Brisbane to Mount Isa (via Roma) numerous times in my G6E.

Didn't really "prep" at all.

Bris - Longreach first day, Longreach - Mount Isa (via Winton) the second day.

There's ample fuel and food outlets along the way.

As has been said don't even think about driving at night. On our last trip (nearly a year ago) we counted 107 (yes, one hundred and seven) roadkill roos between Barcaldine and Longreach (100kms). Obviously not all collected in a night (some of the carcasses were pretty old) but it'll give you an idea of what it's like if conditions are right.

I had the pleasure of meeting the then Governor General at Winton but that's for another time...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
lari1eye

You can do the trip during the daylight if you get to Dalby early am. No roos before there. After that, half dead roos and roo carcasses start to appear after Miles. Dalby to Winton would be about 12 hours.
The main worry out that way are the B doubles and a lot of B triples. Stones thrown up from these monsters are a worry.
If there is any wet weather, be ready for delays.
Roma Morven Tambo Blackall Longreach, these roads are usually ok.
The other thing which will hold you up are ROADWORKS. Usually a lot of these during the week.
Hope you grab the job. Cheers Larry
lari1eye is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Pis-ton broke
Banned

take extra water.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Take a bog roll (toilet paper) just as insurance.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys.
Sounds like I'm overthinking it too much, but that's probably better than underthinking!

I made sure I took TP travelling down the coast, so would definitely stock up for a trip west.

Given the temps I've seen on BOM recently, I don't think I could have too much water.

If I do head out, the drive sounds easy enough. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to get a 4wd. I'd be going out there for the experience of living in that area as much as the work, and would be keen to check out a few of the national parks in the area.
Old 15-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The road out to Winton is generally good. The Falcon was built for such highway runs. I would not worry too much about not having a full size spare provided I was sticking to the highways. The “space saver” on the Falcon is good enough to get you out of trouble in a pinch. Kangaroos and emus are definitely more of a concern. Unless you have a bulbar, I would aim to be off the road about an hour before sunset and don’t be too eager to be on the road until an hour after sunrise. Before leaving on any long road trip, I always do a quick check of the car. Check tyres for any cuts in the sidewalls and that the tyre pressure is set for highway. Look under the bonnet to check for unusual leaks or weeps. Check the condition of the belts and hoses for unusual cuts or bulges. Obviously check all fluid reservoirs, including battery. Every time you fill up, keep an eye on oil level for the first 1500km of highway driving (particularly if the car has been doing city runs), until you have figured out oil consumption. My road kit has 5l of water, gaffer tape, a LED torch, a socket that can undo wheel nuts and a long handle, set of screwdrivers, and a cheap set of spanners. If you are with Optus or Vodaphone, consider getting a Telstra pre-paid sim. Also included in my road kit are toilet paper, soap, alcohol hand cleaner, and a first aid kit (a large one as my wife is a nurse). Count on getting a few stone chips in the car from passing vehicles.

The Winton Jundah track out to Lark Quarry is a different story. It is quite passible in the dry and the Falcon will have no troubles with the road. However, it does have sharp rocks in some sections, so at least be prepared for a tyre change at some point if you are doing the road daily for an extended period. It does not take much rain on the track to make it impassable for 2WD.

You might like to check out this page https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/pd...al-west-vg.pdf
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
The road out to Winton is generally good. The Falcon was built for such highway runs. I would not worry too much about not having a full size spare provided I was sticking to the highways. The “space saver” on the Falcon is good enough to get you out of trouble in a pinch. Kangaroos and emus are definitely more of a concern. Unless you have a bulbar, I would aim to be off the road about an hour before sunset and don’t be too eager to be on the road until an hour after sunrise. Before leaving on any long road trip, I always do a quick check of the car. Check tyres for any cuts in the sidewalls and that the tyre pressure is set for highway. Look under the bonnet to check for unusual leaks or weeps. Check the condition of the belts and hoses for unusual cuts or bulges. Obviously check all fluid reservoirs, including battery. Every time you fill up, keep an eye on oil level for the first 1500km of highway driving (particularly if the car has been doing city runs), until you have figured out oil consumption. My road kit has 5l of water, gaffer tape, a LED torch, a socket that can undo wheel nuts and a long handle, set of screwdrivers, and a cheap set of spanners. If you are with Optus or Vodaphone, consider getting a Telstra pre-paid sim. Also included in my road kit are toilet paper, soap, alcohol hand cleaner, and a first aid kit (a large one as my wife is a nurse). Count on getting a few stone chips in the car from passing vehicles.

The Winton Jundah track out to Lark Quarry is a different story. It is quite passible in the dry and the Falcon will have no troubles with the road. However, it does have sharp rocks in some sections, so at least be prepared for a tyre change at some point if you are doing the road daily for an extended period. It does not take much rain on the track to make it impassable for 2WD.

You might like to check out this page https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/pd...al-west-vg.pdf
You forgot cable ties. Never leave home without cable ties. I fixed a split intercooler hose with gaffer tape and heaps of cable ties and the mechanic kept the hose for the wall of triumph. I'm guessing if it was capable of keeping in compressed air, then the same style fix could retain water.
Old 15-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #19
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lari1eye View Post
You can do the trip during the daylight if you get to Dalby early am. No roos before there. After that, half dead roos and roo carcasses start to appear after Miles. Dalby to Winton would be about 12 hours.
The main worry out that way are the B doubles and a lot of B triples. Stones thrown up from these monsters are a worry.
If there is any wet weather, be ready for delays.
Roma Morven Tambo Blackall Longreach, these roads are usually ok.
The other thing which will hold you up are ROADWORKS. Usually a lot of these during the week.
Hope you grab the job. Cheers Larry
No roos before Dalby! You gotta be kidding. I come across roos daily and I'm before Dalby!
Old 15-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
You forgot cable ties. Never leave home without cable ties.
My bad, you are right. A packet of good (i.e. thick) cable ties. Also throw in some old towels.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #21
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Count on getting a few stone chips in the car from passing vehicles.
In total a great post.

I didn't have a prob with stone chips but did a windscreen or three...

Old 15-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
Kicking back

I also find double sided tape handy at tines on long drives. If I'm not sure where I'm going on a freeway trip I stick my phone running old mate google maps over the tacho in either the bf or fg. Revs aren't an issue on cruise. Yes I use a windscreen mount on the ranger as its a work car, but on the dailies for short trips to known places it's not needed with the added minor loss of forward vision. Make sure it's only the cheap double sided tape though. It won't leave sticky residue on either the cluster or phone.
Old 15-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
ed taxi

all i took in 1991 bris - mt isa was a carton, water,tools,a fan belt and cash i was in a 260z
the only drama was running out of cash IN MORVEN as there was no eft at the servo had to drive into charleville to an atm. i would say the eft probs in the bush have now been fixed. on the way back via townsville i hit a large bit of bull dust at some roadworks and the exhaust came off \. lucky the local garage in Hughenden let me use the hoist and put it back on. oh i had a bird smash the headlight protector on the left.

12/2014 Kuga trend diesel in white

01/2015 Kuga trend diesel in dark gray
ed taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #24
JET62

I lived in roo country with frequent commutes pre-dawn and post-dusk.

I swore by those small black plastic Hopper Stoppers, just one.

They were about $5 for two.

I hit roos a few times before I used them. One even jumped into the side of a car as I drove past. They really have no sense.

I've never had a car with a space saver spare.

I'd have just a couple of litres of water.

Headlight protectors.

And Motoring Club Premium membership for those unexpected extra long tows.

Cheers
Old 16-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #25
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET62 View Post
And Motoring Club Premium membership for those unexpected extra long tows.
That's good advice.

We recently upgraded our RACQ from Ultra to Ultimate (driving to Perth in April or May).

The benefits far outweigh the extra cost when that far from home.

2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #26
cro142

I drive that route regularly - about 8 times a year.

The roads from Brisbane to Winton are all good bitumen, and the sort of stuff that Falcons were made for - comfortable long distance touring. Plenty of fuel and services anywhere along the way.

As others have said, roos and emus are the main problem, but mostly around dawn and dusk. With a bit of rain in the region recently the roos now don't come to the roadsides to feed as much, so many less along the roads compared to 18 months ago. Having said that I have hit 15 roos in that time - but have missed 23,816!! The first one caused $4K damage, but after that I have had a bull bar, so no more damage.

Enjoy the travel - it is fabulous country.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #27
paulie

If you get the job. I all seriousness id sell the falcon and buy a 4wd (if you cant afford to buy a 4wd and keep the g6e)

I lent a car to a family member for a few weeks.
It came back with red dust everywhere. They looked after the car and returned it washed etc but still the red dust was everywhere no amount of cleaning (aapart from a full tear down) could get rid of it.
It devalued the car a few grand.
also the ac always had that musty/dirt smell forever after till i sold it.
(Lesson learnt dont lend to country relatives lol)
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #28
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Take one of these, just in case.
And some of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB.jpg (13.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 16-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #29
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And some of these!
Only one?!
Old 16-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #30
marty351

Or a couple of these!

Last edited by marty351; 11-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.
2 users like this post: