Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Patty

Default How you protect your car?

I just posted this in the stolen car thread but it was suggested to post here in the Pub section to see what others do to protect their cars.

I don't have a garage to driveway parking or street parking are my only options. What do others do to protect their cars to avoid car theft or brake ins?

I live in Mitcham, VIC, and last week a group of young guys broke into about 8 cars in our street and surrounding street, including mine. I woke up in the morning and found my side window smashes and door open. I had nothing in the car worth stealing apart from a few iphone cables and a babyseat so overall it's not a big deal for me. But when the cops came, I found them a bit blasé about it all. They mentioned that they same group did the same thing in Balwyn a few nights previously.

Has this happened to anyone here? My car was in my driveway and I'm trying to think of ways that I can deter thieves from doing it again. Has anyone installed cctv cameras in their house? Worth it? Or what about sensor triggered flood lights?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: How you protect your car?

Carry witches hat in your car, place them in a circle when you park, and patrol around those witches hats with a shotgun.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

possibly one of those automated sensor lights MAY deter them......I feel for you though when our possessions are not safe from thieving dole bulging ferals.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Start with an alarm/shock-window sensor??
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Luckily I have off street parking, and a large dog
Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Installed the optional Ford Perimeter alarm in my FG.
Always park it first at the end in the driveway at night, with two other cars infront of it. Also have high mounted sensor flood lights, a dog and CCTV.
I also have planted metal battons in various positions around the perimeter of the home and outside hidden in bushes I can easily get to, should I be confronted in an unprepared home invasion / attack I can get to quickly.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I also have planted metal battons in various positions around the perimeter of the home and outside hidden in bushes I can easily get to, should I be confronted in an unprepared home invasion / attack I can get to quickly.
They can vandalise / have my car if there's violence involved - that's what insurance is for. I'm not going to argue with some meth-head with a knife
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Patty, if you have to park on the street, you are limited on what you can do, as a "Smash and grab" thief will not care if they set of an alarm.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Seems fairly timely to post that my wife left the keys in our car (again) last night.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
Patty

Thanks for the input guys. I've never really been robbed before so it was a bit of shock to the system. Especially considering the window closest to where the car is parked is my 15 month old Son's room.

I'm getting sensor mounted flood lights installed today. I've also bought a fake CCTV camera (short term solution until I do my research on proper CCTV systems, and will mount that on the corner of the house that overlooks the driveway (it was only $15 and looks pretty good, has a spot for a 12V battery which lights up a red light that is visible from the road so it looks legit).

I was consdering a perimeter alarm but we have so many possums around that it would be going off all night!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Seems fairly timely to post that my wife left the keys in our car (again) last night.
Well after my car got broken into I also checked my wife's car to see if she had any valuables in it that I should remove and she had her spare car key in the console!!!
Talk about lucky.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funny I mentioned this to our "down the road" neighbour, he parks his car in his driveway so I asked him about thieves, he said..... "walk toward it" .....then he threw a power switch on the wall, as I walked toward the vehicle a floodlight went on and a horn sounded.

he has the horn set up on some sort of short action relay so it only gives a quick blast.

"that scares the bejesus out of them" he reckons.......worked on me, I won't be going near his car.

very clever i thought.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is that crime such as vandalism should pay.
Pay as in when caught, they are put on a chain gang breaking rocks @$10.00 an hour until all damage is paid off.
Maybe then there will be more respect for peoples property and the hard work that goes into earning it.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I refuse to pay premiums for theft cover on my Ute which are half the value of the car each year. I pull the fuel pump relay out and put it into the empty slot next to it. I'll hear it cranking if someone has the balls, and i sleep naked so I'll run outside and scare them off. Unfortunately you can get into huge trouble creating man traps, although that would be ideal.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #15
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car is parked on the side of the road in West Auckland.

Protection? I have First Party/Full Comprehensive Insurance. If they want to do anything to my car they're more than welcome as long as they do more than 2k worth of damage, cause that's my excess

In all seriousness though, they're two kinds of car thieves. People out to steal the car, and opportunistic smash and grab thieves. The former will always go for cars without immobilisers as they are easy targets, so our cars are for most part safe. The second kind can easily be discouraged by simply locking your car with the windows up, and making sure you don't leave any valuables in clear sight. The best example I can think is make sure you take your GPS down from the windshield when you park.

Aside from that the only way you can be absolutely 100% safe is if you have it in a locked garage. Assuming your house doesn't get broken into...

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Pay as in when caught, they are put on a chain gang breaking rocks @$10.00 an hour until all damage is paid off.
I think $10 an hour is a bit generous, more like 10 cents an hour.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lighting helps, noise helps, locking car helps, alarm helps, flashing light on dash helps, being vigilant helps, but nothing is 100% for sure.

These guys don't miss anything, anyone starts creeping around in our driveway, or near the garage or house, they know about it, if they know about it, I know about it, if I know about it someone is in trouble.

Good luck trying to outrun these guys, I have timed them at 40km/hr average speed over 3km's, and they can crunch arm bones like tooth picks

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #18
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
I just posted this in the stolen car thread but it was suggested to post here in the Pub section to see what others do to protect their cars.

I don't have a garage to driveway parking or street parking are my only options. What do others do to protect their cars to avoid car theft or brake ins?

I live in Mitcham, VIC, and last week a group of young guys broke into about 8 cars in our street and surrounding street, including mine. I woke up in the morning and found my side window smashes and door open. I had nothing in the car worth stealing apart from a few iphone cables and a babyseat so overall it's not a big deal for me. But when the cops came, I found them a bit blasé about it all. They mentioned that they same group did the same thing in Balwyn a few nights previously.

Has this happened to anyone here? My car was in my driveway and I'm trying to think of ways that I can deter thieves from doing it again. Has anyone installed cctv cameras in their house? Worth it? Or what about sensor triggered flood lights?
Mitcham is a good area and I live near there too, shame to hear about these break ins. Definitely sounds opportunist.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
Mitcham is a good area and I live near there too, shame to hear about these break ins. Definitely sounds opportunist.
I am guessing you don't really understand the meaning of opportunist.

It would have been opportunist if they walked past while out for their daily run and happened to see an iPad on the front seat and the window was down, and they grabbed it.

Purposefully walking through a neighbourhood and smashing car windows hoping to find something of value is not opportunistic, it's random crime.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #20
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Aside from that the only way you can be absolutely 100% safe is if you have it in a locked garage. Assuming your house doesn't get broken into...
Did you hear about the Cobra that was stolen from takanini last week, the owners had it in a locked garage at their home, had 2 steel bollards blocking the garage as an extra measure, and also had security cameras. Unfortunately this was not enough to stop then stealing the Cobra, they made off with the car and came back within the hour to ransack the owners house too.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #21
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had bad neighbours used to put a plastic snake behind car in carport
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am guessing you don't really understand the meaning of opportunist.

It would have been opportunist if they walked past while out for their daily run and happened to see an iPad on the front seat and the window was down, and they grabbed it.

Purposefully walking through a neighbourhood and smashing car windows hoping to find something of value is not opportunistic, it's random crime.
Do you have to contradict or correct nearly everything everyone posts on this forum ? I take your comments on board, but I was merely trying to say Mitcham is not the Bronx, and not where gangs of youths consistently go on crime sprees along the quiet leafy suburban streets.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
I'm getting sensor mounted flood lights installed today. I've also bought a fake CCTV camera (short term solution until I do my research on proper CCTV systems, and will mount that on the corner of the house that overlooks the driveway (it was only $15 and looks pretty good, has a spot for a 12V battery which lights up a red light that is visible from the road so it looks legit).
Be mindful of where you point your camera, some neighbours don't like the breach of privacy. (I had a neighbour adjust one of mine when I wasn't home, caught it all on tape)

Get a 8 camera system. Whilst it's good to point them at your cars, also up and down the road, so you can record them either way.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
Yeh Mitcham is a good area. I've lived here or around Mitcham most of my life. The funny thing is I've never had an issue my whole life, but in the last 2 years we've had both our cars broken into. A Vietnamese gang moved in next door and created a drug lab (cops busted them and caught them all), and just 2 months ago around the corner someone was shot. Hopefully that's it for the next few years ;p

I guess I'm just annoyed. The theives didn't get anything from my car as there was nothing worth stealing. It did cost me to replace the side window and it happened at a chaotic time in my life so it just threw me a bit.

Honestly though, lets say I hid a baseball bat in my front yard and I heard someone breaking into my car again. If I ran out and clocked one of them over the head and did some serious damage, would I also be charged with assault?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #25
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"would I be charged with assault"!.......most definitely......the term "reasonable force" comes into existence here as well as "pre-meditated".....both of which you would have breached so expect a jail sentence.

we had a problem with a local feral hoon who thought it was funny to keep everybody awake all night with his burnouts and beeping his horn, I threatened to knock his head off if he didn't stop it......you guessed it, I got a visit from a sergeant telling me to stop threatening him.

I placed a couple of cameras and got him "legally" through the system doing burnouts and carrying on , I now take extreme pleasure in watching him walk past our house taking his kids to school, I, of course, jibe him at every opportunity.

leave the bats alone, place lights and cameras and leave it to police.....it's an absolute insult and a great pain to do so, I know, been there, done that, but please don't take it into your own hands.

what if there are four or five armed persons out there and you come out with a bat, who do you think is going to win, these people carry machettes now and some even have guns.

tread carefully.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #26
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Did you hear about the Cobra that was stolen from takanini last week, the owners had it in a locked garage at their home, had 2 steel bollards blocking the garage as an extra measure, and also had security cameras. Unfortunately this was not enough to stop then stealing the Cobra, they made off with the car and came back within the hour to ransack the owners house too.
I guess if someone really really wants to steal your car there's nothing you can do to prevent it. Regardless of how much protection you have, there will always be a way to steal the car regardless and all your doing is making the job harder for them in the hope that they'll decide the job ain't worth the effort.

Safest thing I can think off would be one of those council wheel locks. Everyone on the road will think your an idiot who got clamped, but I don't think anyone will be making off with the car with that on. Combine that with ballistic glass and an 24/7/armed guard roster and you'll completely deter opportunistic thieves too

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #27
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
"would I be charged with assault"!.......most definitely......the term "reasonable force" comes into existence here as well as "pre-meditated".....both of which you would have breached so expect a jail sentence.

we had a problem with a local feral hoon who thought it was funny to keep everybody awake all night with his burnouts and beeping his horn, I threatened to knock his head off if he didn't stop it......you guessed it, I got a visit from a sergeant telling me to stop threatening him.

I placed a couple of cameras and got him "legally" through the system doing burnouts and carrying on , I now take extreme pleasure in watching him walk past our house taking his kids to school, I, of course, jibe him at every opportunity.

leave the bats alone, place lights and cameras and leave it to police.....it's an absolute insult and a great pain to do so, I know, been there, done that, but please don't take it into your own hands.

what if there are four or five armed persons out there and you come out with a bat, who do you think is going to win, these people carry machettes now and some even have guns.

tread carefully.

Wise words Poppa Smurf
Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could always do this I suppose, I bet it would work......dealing with ferals so same same...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

been posted before but may not have been seen by your good self.....

Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #29
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lucky, my car gets locked up every night in my shed which is also behind another set of gates and a dog. Shed also has sensor lights.

Or there's this:

http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinti...e-window-film#
Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #30
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I use and recommend the Trunk Monkey.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: