Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default OBD II reader and Forscan program.

A couple of weeks ago I invested a whopping $9.89, including postage, for one of those chinese OBD2 diagnostic scan tools and then downloaded the latest Forscan program to my laptop. When it arrived I went out to the Sportsman and plugged it in. Within seconds it connected to the car and asked me if it was LTD/Fairlane/Fairmont or Forte/Futura/XR! So it recognised the odd hybrid AU setup immediately and started scanning. It pulled up half a dozen old codes straight away and let me clear them then scanned again automatically and pulled up a current code that told me my VCT solenoid was playing up which I duly changed and now I've picked up about 50-60km to the tank.

That little $10 investment saved me a bucket load of cash chasing my fuel economy problem and the beauty of the Forscan program is that it not only pulls the codes and allows you to clear them but the codes it pulls, it tells you what they are and there's a troubleshooting guide to help you track down the problem, AND IT'S FREE!! What an excellent bit of kit.
It also does real time logging and other stuff but I haven't played with that yet but even without any of that it's an absolute must have in your AU tool kit as far as I'm concerned, I love it.

Just thought I'd share.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I know what you mean, mine actually arrived today but I managed to use AU11LTD's on my ute and did the same as you, scanned it, weed the codes which removed the airbag fault light for me as well ... Such a cheap investment for a great tool to have .

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
dgrover
Starter Motor

Default Re: OBD II reader and Forscan program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
A couple of weeks ago I invested a whopping $9.89, including postage, for one of those chinese OBD2 diagnostic scan tools
Bushbasher
Do you have an ebay link to the diag tool, thanks
dgrover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrover View Post
Do you have an ebay link to the diag tool, thanks
Search ELM327 on Ebay.

I agree Bushy, great bit of Kit. As Rayban76 mentioned above, we managed to clear his airbag light with it, so now he has a ute with working passenger airbag. Win Win.

I originally purchased it for the real time data that it can provide. As I cannot get a Quarterhorse strategy for my I6, I wanted it to show me how it is running by looking at the short and long term fuel trims. It works great on both my cars, I6 and V8.

There is a whole thread on this kit in the AU section somewhere - lots of great advice. Must find and read it again now.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
BHDOGS
Banned

I did this today myself got the trouble codes ect i tried the key on engine off or key on engine on diagnostics and while it started the test i could tell because the climate control displayed everything it kept saying test failed has anybody got this function to work on forscan yet?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Mine worked perfectly. I just followed the instructions that came up on the screen in the pop up window. Did you put your foot on the brake and turn the wheel when it asked with the engine running test?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 30-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

It never gave me the option test started after bout 5 seconds said test can't be completed and stopped itself
Old 30-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

It says the following

error

unable to run test:
PCM- key on engine off (koeo)
Please make sure test conditions are in place.
Old 30-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hold on, I'll go out and plug mine in and see what the test conditions are supposed to be.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 30-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok,
Vehicle must be stationary and in Park or Neutral
Hand brake must be on
If your car is manual you may need to depress the clutch during the test
Do not activate vehicle switches during the test

... that's what the pop up window says.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 30-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
BHDOGS
Banned

Hmmm I'll try handbrake on this time the rest I'm already doing Cheers bush basher
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
BHDOGS
Banned

alright i did the test and it found these errrors

code:po116-suspect sensor
module: powertrain control module

not sure what that means

and error PO171
system to lean bank 1

then gives 5 possible causes for that error so seems to work pretty well
Old 30-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

clear the codes and do the test again, They may be old codes.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 30-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Nice to see someone having a win bushbasher - thumbs up champ!

auIILTD - I think you're talking about these threads: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11373845 + http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11326889

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think it is time I purchased a cable (only $8 or something.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-V1...83b046c&_uhb=1

This may help me figure out what the hell my car has been doing of late...

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Mine is a bluetooth one and it works just fine. Cost me about $9.50. I didn't want the cable getting in the way while doing real time logging.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Hi basher.
I got a usb version from an aus seller for 18 bucks and it arrived 3 days later.
Running forscan and it is pretty cool.

I ran my au with live data on the scope screen and i like it a lot.

It also found a dtc code on the wifes fg hvac unit : B2010 servo motor panel door circuit failure.

After i saw the code i noticed the fan would not blow onto the floor position, so gotta mention that to the dealer as its under extended warranty.

You cant complain with what you get for so little.

If you like diy on your car then get one fellas.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so I have received the cable in the mail. I have also installed the Forscan program on my laptop and have now tried to use it. But with no luck just keeps coming up saying that "No ELM found. Please check connection and try again"...

Any ideas anyone?

Or is this the issue my car is having? I have tried 4 different scan tools so far and all can see the PCM without any issues but cannot see any other module? What could be the cause of this...any ideas would be appreciated as otherwise it is going to be a matter of pulling the entire dashfloor loom out and checking each and every connection/fuse/relay/module until I find the fault.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #19
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I had that problem when I first ran forscan. Try a different usb port if you have one.
For the first time, I had to run the engine for the program to talk to the computer. After that it would hook up whilst the ignition was on reds.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
GASXD

For those having issues, try this link http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-obd2-software
Solved the problem I had, and might help others.
GASXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASXD View Post
For those having issues, try this link http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-obd2-software
Solved the problem I had, and might help others.
Yep do that.
You have to install the correct driver for your version of windows first.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
dgrover
Starter Motor

Can anyone post a link on ebay for any OBD unit that will work on an 1999 AU1,
having difficulty finding one that works with Series 1, Cable or Blue Tooth

Thank's
dgrover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrover View Post
Can anyone post a link on ebay for any OBD unit that will work on an 1999 AU1,
having difficulty finding one that works with Series 1, Cable or Blue Tooth

Thank's
In post 4 dgrover.

Various options here. Cabled versions are a little cheaper.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_t...at=0&_from=R40

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Is there a version for E-Series cars?

I missed out on a scanner that was in the for sale section. Lack of $$$ :(

Sold on ebay for 65 more than what it was advertised on here for. Double :(
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No there isn't a great deal you can do with the E series as they are OBD1 the AU is a ford version of OBD2 and although most scanners wont work the Forscan software has the ability to work with what's called "standard corporate protocol"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver 45 View Post
Is there a version for E-Series cars?

I missed out on a scanner that was in the for sale section. Lack of $$$ :(

Sold on ebay for 65 more than what it was advertised on here for. Double :(

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
hagarone

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Search ELM327 on Ebay.

I agree Bushy, great bit of Kit. As Rayban76 mentioned above, we managed to clear his airbag light with it, so now he has a ute with working passenger airbag. Win Win.

I originally purchased it for the real time data that it can provide. As I cannot get a Quarterhorse strategy for my I6, I wanted it to show me how it is running by looking at the short and long term fuel trims. It works great on both my cars, I6 and V8.

There is a whole thread on this kit in the AU section somewhere - lots of great advice. Must find and read it again now.

Cheers
Stu
Hi Stu, what goes on with airbag light? When we put a passenger airbag in we did not have that problem. All good, first go!
hagarone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #27
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Gidday Hagar.

Not 100% of Rays sequence for changing BEM etc, but I am sure he orginally had the dummy plug in the passenger air bag and the put the passenger air bag in. Some how he had the air bag light flashing on the dash thereafter. When we cleared the code and resolved the flashing airbag light, Ray plugged the dummy plug back on again, we cleared the DTCs and then re-instated the passenger airbag - no more flashing airbag light!

Obviously somehow in the process, a trouble code developed - once cleared, all was good.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #28
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice work guys! watching this thread with interest.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
Yep do that.
You have to install the correct driver for your version of windows first.
Hello guys,

if I read this correctly I can use ELM327 on my laptop Windows 7 by downloading the correct driver for Win 7 even though the ELM 327 auction listing says no windows 7?
I am a windows newbie coming from a Mac household
Old 22-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Yes, I am using windows7 Basic on my netbook.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250