Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #61
moneypit

Default Re: How you protect your car?

You wouldn't believe just how necessary this level of security is these days.

No matter where you live.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #62
NOI551

American Staffy x Bull Mastiff

No worries.
Old 16-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #63
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry guys but I feel for you all.

I live up a 2k gravel driveway with 4 electric gates (remotes in each vehicle) park them under a carport each nite, leave unlocked, keys in ignition.

just let the Ilpacas out who patrol the cars and yard. Ive seen the results of a fox getting too close.

Wasnt pretty.
Old 16-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #64
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Photo of the Mother-in-law on the front of the house - heck, sometimes they even leave me money and whiskey.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
I can offer what I've done on my house. Secure your house aswell as secure your car.

The front door has a vertical deadbolt on it that goes down 3 inches into solid cement so even kicking in the door won't do them good.

All of the windows around the house have security grilles on them with the same pattern that you see typically on screen doors. The few windows which aren't protected by thise security grille have vibration sensors on them so if someone hits the window it'll go off.

The rear door is alarmed and has a piece of wood jammed up against it stopping it from being slid open. This is also protected by a motion alarm on the outside of the door covering the entire back verandah.

I've also got proper locks which take a 5 point barrel style key (not the bathroom types) on every bedroom door so if someone breaks in while we are asleep I wil either be woken up by them trying to get into my bedroom, or by an alarm. At which point I'll wait in my bedroom while the cops show up. And the bedroom doors are the solid doors that you can get from bunnings so it cannot be hacked through with an axe. I'm also considering going the further step of adding deadbolts to the bedroom doors too, ones that go into the cement floor like the front door does.

You can get bedroom-sized interior doors that are solid from Bunnings. If they don't have it in-store they'll have it online.

I've also got Photoelectric smoke alarms in every bedroom and every hallway.

I've also got a 4 channel CCTV system installed which has the DVR secured in a place that only I know where it is. It is also battery backed by a UPS, so are the cameras which all run off a single power strip which is plugged into the UPS.

If you want to take this even further you can also get an Assa Abloy padlock with a high gauge steel chain from the UK and get yourself a Ground Anchor point that you can put underneath your car. You then wrap this chain through either a chassis point. or over the rear axle. Whenever you take your car out just remember to remove the chain first. Spend at least $200 on the anchor point and another $400 on the chain.

Also make sure that the chain and anchor point are extremely thick and won't give up when attacked by even the largest possible bolt cutters.

Oh and if you have a safe, anchor it to a cement slab. 90% of the time people buy a safe and never anchor it to the ground so the thiefs just come in and take the safe with them and break into it later on when they're back at home.

Its still possible to get around all of this but I've done the best I can to slow them down.
Jesus Christ mate, I just live in Australia, not Honduras(one of the most violent countries in the world). Is that much security really needed? I wouldn't even live like that if I lived in a part of Australia with a bad rep
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #66
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Jesus Christ mate, I just live in Australia, not Honduras(one of the most violent countries in the world). Is that much security really needed? I wouldn't even live like that if I lived in a part of Australia with a bad rep
At that level of security, and underground bunker wouldn't be out of the question
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #67
.:4:.
Kicking back

My home and car security are pretty much just over insuring them. You can have a back to base alarm on a house, but if someone takes the 2 screws off the cover of the box on the lead in cable and cuts it, it can't dial out. When's the last time you saw a bystander do anything about an alarm going off? Yes it will avoid a home invasion if there is an alert if someone's home, but if the place is vacant, whilst every second roof tile is nailed down, it's not entirely difficult to remove some nails after climbing a ladder and then entering through the man hole. Now if most crims were that smart, they probably realise it's easier to have a job then resort to low acts. In my case, if you break in and flog my old as 42 inch tv, insurance will get me a 65. Nick my 08 ghia, I'll end up with a 2010 g6e. Touch my boat and I'll hunt them down and sit there in gaol wishing I was on the new bigger boat.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #68
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comprehensive insurance. If it's not a rare and/or very expensive car it's not worth doing anything more than that.

I'd be more ****ed if it were stolen, recovered and they wanted it to be repaired rather than written off
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #69
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The problem is that crime such as vandalism should pay.
Pay as in when caught, they are put on a chain gang breaking rocks @$10.00 an hour until all damage is paid off.
Maybe then there will be more respect for peoples property and the hard work that goes into earning it.
Send them my way and I'll put them to work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #70
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can offer what I've done on my house. Secure your house aswell as secure your car.

The front door has a vertical deadbolt on it that goes down 3 inches into solid cement so even kicking in the door won't do them good.

All of the windows around the house have security grilles on them with the same pattern that you see typically on screen doors. The few windows which aren't protected by thise security grille have vibration sensors on them so if someone hits the window it'll go off.

The rear door is alarmed and has a piece of wood jammed up against it stopping it from being slid open. This is also protected by a motion alarm on the outside of the door covering the entire back verandah.

I've also got proper locks which take a 5 point barrel style key (not the bathroom types) on every bedroom door so if someone breaks in while we are asleep I wil either be woken up by them trying to get into my bedroom, or by an alarm. At which point I'll wait in my bedroom while the cops show up. And the bedroom doors are the solid doors that you can get from bunnings so it cannot be hacked through with an axe. I'm also considering going the further step of adding deadbolts to the bedroom doors too, ones that go into the cement floor like the front door does.

You can get bedroom-sized interior doors that are solid from Bunnings. If they don't have it in-store they'll have it online.

I've also got a 4 channel CCTV system installed which has the DVR secured in a place that only I know where it is. It is also battery backed by a UPS, so are the cameras which all run off a single power strip which is plugged into the UPS.

If you want to take this even further you can also get an Assa Abloy padlock with a high gauge steel chain from the UK and get yourself a Ground Anchor point that you can put underneath your car. You then wrap this chain through either a chassis point. or over the rear axle. Whenever you take your car out just remember to remove the chain first. Spend at least $200 on the anchor point and another $400 on the chain.

Also make sure that the chain and anchor point are extremely thick and won't give up when attacked by even the largest possible bolt cutters.

Oh and if you have a safe, anchor it to a cement slab. 90% of the time people buy a safe and never anchor it to the ground so the thiefs just come in and take the safe with them and break into it later on when they're back at home.

Its still possible to get around all of this but I've done the best I can to slow them down.
WOW just WOW, I could not live like that

Quote:
You wouldn't believe just how necessary this level of security is these days.

No matter where you live.
Seriously you need to reconsider some life choices if you think that.

I have not locked my house or shed or garage or even car for the last 5 or 6 years (since getting away from the capital cities), I don't even take a key with me when I go out for the day, the house and windows just stay open.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #71
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I know a guy from work who had house security as to what you described here, it nearly killed him & his family when they woke up in the middle of the night with a house fire with full of smoke, with panic they just managed to get out in time, he vowed when house got rebuilt all the security gear got junked & thrown out.
Something to consider when building fortresses.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #72
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I know a guy from work who had house security as to what you described here, it nearly killed him & his family when they woke up in the middle of the night with a house fire with full of smoke, with panic they just managed to get out in time, he vowed when house got rebuilt all the security gear got junked & thrown out.
Something to consider when building fortresses.
Spot on- steel cages over the window means you cannot throw a chair through the glass and get out if the rest of the house is an inferno.

Also moneypit, all that security will do no good if someone really wants to break in. They will just go through the roof- tiles are an easy lift and plaster easy to smash through. Colourbond- ratchet and 2 minutes torquing and you are in.

But yes- solid core doors with steel cages covering front door torqued into masonry/concrete and proper steel cages around ALL windows will require entrance through the roof. In the country I used to live in, this was standard security, along with guns inside, so if someone tried to break in through the roof you just started pumping the air around the offending noise above your head with lead.

But I am with the others- often leave windows open all day, back door open with just sliding flyscreen, flyscreen door open onto front deck.

Biggest problem I have to deal with is kids leaving flyscreens open and mozzies coming in from the bush.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #73
Lunch
Wait, what?

New for old insurance policy, although it's gunna be hard for them to replace an old turbo falcon with a new one pretty soon.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #74
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Seriously you need to reconsider some life choices if you think that.

I have not locked my house or shed or garage or even car for the last 5 or 6 years (since getting away from the capital cities), I don't even take a key with me when I go out for the day, the house and windows just stay open.
It sounds to me like you've never been stolen from. I mean had a house raid by some junkies. Who are aged 12-24 years old.

They can steal many thousands of dollars worth of stuff in just 20 minutes, thats all it takes for you to let your guard down. A mobile phone is a grand, remember that. A grand is a lot of money when you are on welfare.

And a house invasion can be an incredibly scary thing. If you think I'm going to let my guard down and let those scrotes come into our house and **** with our heads for a few hours then you're mistaken.

I've had a family friend been taken hostage by some abbos on holiday from the northern territory at knifepoint. They jumped into the back seats of her car as soon as she got home. Central locking can be a curse.

Even if we were out of the house for the day I couldn't stand coming back to an empty bare room with all of my personal posessions gone. And I couldn't stand living knowing that I had the knowledge to secure the house but failed and my mother was stabbed or murdered by some crazed ****face while I was out of the house or while I was asleep.

Don't give them a chance to even do it once. Don't forget that when you are on welfare like I am you don't get to choose where you live. You are told where you live based upon what you can afford and the department of housing typically takes 40% of your welfare cheque even if you are on DSP which makes paying the bills like electricity even that much harder. I've gone without having warm showers just so I can keep my hobbies fueled with money and my car registered and on the road. And right now I'm living with my mother in a house that she owns wholly. So I'm doing pretty good. But living in welfare housing has taught me a few tricks.

When I was living on my own it was like an everlasting hell because the neighbours fought constantly and I could hear it and the place where I lived was so small that it felt like living in a prison cell. I was more than once threatened at knifepoint to hand over my wallet and I've known people who have been stabbed and killed because of drugs.

I also know another family friend who is considering living with another church member that my mother knows just so she can get out of living in welfare housing and into a better neighbourhood. She is unemployed and a widow and is in her 50s.

Crime occurs in waves around here and they typically target welfare housing first. They will typically invade at least 5 to 10 units or houses per day and steal whatever they can get ahold of. The criminals are in and out of town within a week and the police do nothing about it.

If you don't have a piece of security plastic on your back screen door covering the area around the locking mechanism then guess what you're their next target. (You can get these pieces of plastic from bunnings warehouse.) Its **** easy to break into a house simply by flipping the locks from the other side with a piece of wire or a finger.

Don't know what your line of thinking is but it sounds like you're a plum chicken ready to be plucked.

Thankfully for me I've just gotta wait until my mother passes away before I can too get out of the major cities and then I'll have enough money to buy some land and maybe a decent house.

Keeping positive is the main thing in my life right now and I wouldn't want to lose all of my stuff just because I left a door unlocked because I felt "safe" that day. Security isn't like the weather, you cannot choose to go walking in the rain without an umbrella.

Thats why I choose to lock my bedroom door when I leave the house, because all of my valuables are in my bedroom. Its a simple trick which keeps my stuff safe, its nothing over the top.

We also live next to a major highway so we get drunks and trouble makers coming along and using our road as a shortcut. Don't know about you but I would rather stay on the safe side.

And no I don't own guns, my methods of security involve only defensive measures.

Last edited by moneypit; 18-06-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #75
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Spot on- steel cages over the window means you cannot throw a chair through the glass and get out if the rest of the house is an inferno.

Also moneypit, all that security will do no good if someone really wants to break in. They will just go through the roof- tiles are an easy lift and plaster easy to smash through. Colourbond- ratchet and 2 minutes torquing and you are in.

But yes- solid core doors with steel cages covering front door torqued into masonry/concrete and proper steel cages around ALL windows will require entrance through the roof. In the country I used to live in, this was standard security, along with guns inside, so if someone tried to break in through the roof you just started pumping the air around the offending noise above your head with lead.

But I am with the others- often leave windows open all day, back door open with just sliding flyscreen, flyscreen door open onto front deck.

Biggest problem I have to deal with is kids leaving flyscreens open and mozzies coming in from the bush.
I agree it is risky having the windows closed in the way they are but our house was like this when we got it. Half of the window of the bedrooms is uncovered and a sledge hammer could go through it. The entire window of the bedrooms aren't covered, just the part that opens. I also have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher in my bedroom. Aswell as I've mentioned before photoelectric smoke alarms in every bedroom and every hallway.

Me and my mother also turn off devices before going to bed unless they are necessary such as a fridge or freezer.

We also both have flashlights and both have access to two exits to the house.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #76
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Crime occurs in waves around here and they typically target welfare housing first. They will typically invade at least 5 to 10 units or houses per day and steal whatever they can get ahold of. The criminals are in and out of town within a week and the police do nothing about it.

If you don't have a piece of security plastic on your back screen door covering the area around the locking mechanism then guess what you're their next target. (You can get these pieces of plastic from bunnings warehouse.) Its **** easy to break into a house simply by flipping the locks from the other side with a piece of wire or a finger.

Don't know what your line of thinking is but it sounds like you're a plum chicken ready to be plucked.

Thankfully for me I've just gotta wait until my mother passes away before I can too get out of the major cities and then I'll have enough money to buy some land and maybe a decent house.

Keeping positive is the main thing in my life right now and I wouldn't want to lose all of my stuff just because I left a door unlocked because I felt "safe" that day. Security isn't like the weather, you cannot choose to go walking in the rain without an umbrella.

Thats why I choose to lock my bedroom door when I leave the house, because all of my valuables are in my bedroom. Its a simple trick which keeps my stuff safe, its nothing over the top.

We also live next to a major highway so we get drunks and trouble makers coming along and using our road as a shortcut. Don't know about you but I would rather stay on the safe side.

And no I don't own guns, my methods of security involve only defensive measures.
Hey- did not mean to be smart- in a bad area yes- probably a good thing to be smart defensive.

And I am not advocating guns- just saying in real bad situations crims will get in, and the roof is a soft target, but in your situation they would probably just keep on walking if they had to get a ladder to go through the roof.

And- touching wood- I have not been a plum chicken plucked yet for 23 years living in the same house, leaving doors and flyscreens open/unlocked, day and night, house bordered on 3 sides by reserve. May help I am at end of cul de sac at top of steep hill.

Hope you get to move to a good place where you feel safe and secure-

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #77
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hey- did not mean to be smart- in a bad area yes- probably a good thing to be smart defensive.

Hope you get to move to a good place where you feel safe and secure-

Thanks for the kind words . if I stepped on any toes.

About time I took my nighttime meds and went to sleep! Saw the juicy replies to this thread and Plum forgot.

Last edited by moneypit; 19-06-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 19-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #78
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Now that we've discussed how to build a fortress (without an underground bunker or machine gun posts) can we please get back on the topic of how you protect your CAR ?
Old 19-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #79
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Now that we've discussed how to build a fortress (without an underground bunker or machine gun posts) can we please get back on the topic of how you protect your CAR ?
Full comprehensive insurance is my number one defence.

My classics have multiple kill switches for various functions such as fuel, starter, ignition when parked when I take them out and about, but that does not stop a tow truck or damage to the vehicle hence full comprehensive insurance.

GPS tracker could also be a good idea, apparently on old iPhone with a prepaid sim and the free find my iPhone app supposedly works well (have not tried it yet personally), could be glued or cable tied under the console thats bolted down or high up under the bottom of the dash where it can't be seen. Hard wired into the power so it stays charged and most iPhone will at least have a 12-24hr stand by if the power gets cut (battery disconnected) could even add a back up power pack for a few $$ that could last 3-7 days or more on stand by.

At home all my cars are in the garage or shed, more for protection from the environment that from thieves, I have no concerns where I live, that's why I chose the live where I do.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #80
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Being an old former bushy the thought of locking cars and houses beyond the average is foreign to me but I don’t live in a bad area and therefore I don’t feel unsafe.

I’ve had a couple stolen and I’m still pretty slack on protection.

If someone wants your car bad enough they’ll take it and as others have said, insurance is your best friend so at least you can start again.

There’s nothing worse than losing an old classic or something almost irreplaceable but those types of vehicles can also attract professionals and if they want it they will win and if you have that much security where an idiot thief has to get rough then no car is worth you or your family’s personal safety so let them take it.

No so long ago I didn't even bother to lock my cars at home but I've change because the newer one like to have the bulk of their systems put to sleep to increase the battery life so I do it for economics not because I'm silly enough to think it will keep the car safe.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post