Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default Door seal chatter

My current AU2 XR8 has an annoying chatter sort of sound from the door seals when driving over even small bumps. I can replicate the sound by pushing outwards on the window near the top. It comes from the door seal though, not the window seal. I tried silicon spray on the seals but that if anything made it worse . I've had two AUs before and didn't notice it in either of them.

Any tips for fixing this? I feel like the doors may need adjusting inwards a little to sit tighter, but there doesn't seem to be any adjustment at the latch/striker.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Door seal chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
My current AU2 XR8 has an annoying chatter sort of sound from the door seals when driving over even small bumps. I can replicate the sound by pushing outwards on the window near the top. It comes from the door seal though, not the window seal. I tried silicon spray on the seals but that if anything made it worse . I've had two AUs before and didn't notice it in either of them.

Any tips for fixing this? I feel like the doors may need adjusting inwards a little to sit tighter, but there doesn't seem to be any adjustment at the latch/striker.
I was shown by a panelbeater how to stop the wind noise on my old Jag.

Open door, put knee on the door frame just below the window whilst pulling on the top of the door frame, gently 'adjusting' the top of the door.

No more wind noise.
Old 13-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The door striker does move, undo the bolts, give it a tap with a hammer and it will unstick, then position it wherever you need to.
Old 13-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
byamin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If none of the below methods work for you, I made a few cuts to the back side of the seal where water will not sit, then I cut a dense foam into thin strips which was fed inside the seal to fatten out the rubber seal. Worked a treat, the door may sit a little proud at first but after a few weeks it begins to sit back as it should but without the chattering.

P.s. good luck I know it drove me mad

2000 Fairmont Ghia V8 - Liquid Silver
byamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
The door striker does move, undo the bolts, give it a tap with a hammer and it will unstick, then position it wherever you need to.
Thanks, I'll give that a go but it looks like the bolts are a tight fit in the holes in striker and b-pillar, they're not slotted like the older cars.

Quote:
If none of the below methods work for you, I made a few cuts to the back side of the seal where water will not sit, then I cut a dense foam into thin strips which was fed inside the seal to fatten out the rubber seal. Worked a treat, the door may sit a little proud at first but after a few weeks it begins to sit back as it should but without the chattering.
That's a good idea - I thought about bending the door but will try this first. I think the chattering comes from inside surfaces of the seal (where you put the foam).
Old 14-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give that a go but it looks like the bolts are a tight fit in the holes in striker and b-pillar, they're not slotted like the older cars.
Don't worry about what it looks like.

The holes behind the striker are slotted.
There's a plate inside the B-pillar which moves when the bolts are loosened.

Loosen bolts, tape striker to release plate, re-position striker.

Job done.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Trust me, Sox has worked on (and owns) more AU's than most people have had hot dinners
Old 14-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
undertow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Don't worry about what it looks like.

The holes behind the striker are slotted.
There's a plate inside the B-pillar which moves when the bolts are loosened.

Loosen bolts, tape striker to release plate, re-position striker.

Job done.
Thanks, you were right - it required a bit of force but some massaging with a BFH got the job done. Do you use any lube on your door seals? Silicon spray works well on creaky commodore door seals but the AU seals don't seem to respond well to it (material or surface finish seems a bit different).
Old 14-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gummi Pflege is a good one that conditions and protects seals without attracting dust.
Old 14-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my ba did this, i reset the striker plate, that fixed it. however panel flushness was affected. you could try new seals as well.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post