Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Windows defender

i was wondering if windows defender is any good.

My current antivirus just expired and I don't have the money to renew it for a few weeks.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Windows defender

I use avast and its a free download for the basic version. That's all I've ever used and its done me no harm.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Windows defender and nothing else. Touching wood, I've never had anything get through it. I used to use a paid version of Kaspersky. I let it run out as it was pretty much pointless for me having it. As well as there's no issues with steam or origin that some anti-virus have. Like game breaking issues. I don't visit pron sites or open dodgy emails though, if you do I'm not sure defender would be enough.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Always used Norton Anti-virus on the PCs, and never had a virus get through yet in 20 years.
On the Mac, never needed anti-virus protection in 8 years since OS viruses are extremely rare and operating system is smarter when it comes to installing anything suspect.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
BlueBear
Shockwave

I personally wouldn't trust Windows Defender alone.
You can download many Internet security suits that will give you at least a month free.
I have used most of them at one time or another, presently using ESET and I reckon it's easily the best I've ever tried.
Heartily recommend it.

Regarding Norton's, If you do decide to try it, you will find it is extremely difficult to remove. It does do the job well, but it's huge (bloated IMHO) and difficult to change settings. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers.
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
I personally wouldn't trust Windows Defender alone.
You can download many Internet security suits that will give you at least a month free.
I have used most of them at one time or another, presently using ESET and I reckon it's easily the best I've ever tried.
Heartily recommend it.

Regarding Norton's, If you do decide to try it, you will find it is extremely difficult to remove. It does do the job well, but it's huge (bloated IMHO) and difficult to change settings. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers.
I asked the question to one if the network engineers at symantec when I was doing work for them and I was told along the lines of if it not paid it's always there.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
BlueBear
Shockwave

Due to public pressure Norton was forced to make a removal tool that is now available for download from their site.
Still leaves some traces though that will need manual deletion.

The other issue with Norton is that it slows down PC's in almost every case, some very noticeably, which is why most people wanted to remove it from their PC's.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 weeks ago my 3 windows 10 computers started running really badly I had problems opening many websites and the computer would not turn off properly. All the problems stated after my McAfee upgraded its self, so I uninstalled the McAfee completely and all my problems went away, and windows defender switched it's self on automatically. I also run a paid version of Malwarebytes as a backup. It does not seem to slow down the computer like Norton or McAfee.
My computers have not run so well for years
Old 24-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I'm in China, you know the hacking capital of the world LOL. All I run is free bitdefender and a VPN due to recommendations from computer guys in the know and not had an issue.

On the Norton topic... A mate of mine was the global head of Symantec internet security a few years back (so he knows a little), and last I spoke to him about computers his advice was "don't install them, they are almost useless". Not sure though since the new breed of viruses are a tad smarter than the old breed.

Best way to protect your computer. Don't be uneducated or stupid about what you do on the internet. Don't save passwords, credit card details, visit suss sites, open emails that look suss... Generally anything that is asking for trouble and a good free virus scanner and you will LIMIT the potential for issues. Buying one MIGHT limit it more... But nothing is fool proof except a computer not connected to anything and unable to transfer data to or from.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
Due to public pressure Norton was forced to make a removal tool that is now available for download from their site.
Still leaves some traces though that will need manual deletion.

The other issue with Norton is that it slows down PC's in almost every case, some very noticeably, which is why most people wanted to remove it from their PC's.

Cheers,
Hasn't been that way for years. ITC in particular computer security was my job
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I'm in China, you know the hacking capital of the world LOL. All I run is free bitdefender and a VPN due to recommendations from computer guys in the know and not had an issue.

On the Norton topic... A mate of mine was the global head of Symantec internet security a few years back (so he knows a little), and last I spoke to him about computers his advice was "don't install them, they are almost useless". Not sure though since the new breed of viruses are a tad smarter than the old breed.

Best way to protect your computer. Don't be uneducated or stupid about what you do on the internet. Don't save passwords, credit card details, visit suss sites, open emails that look suss... Generally anything that is asking for trouble and a good free virus scanner and you will LIMIT the potential for issues. Buying one MIGHT limit it more... But nothing is fool proof except a computer not connected to anything and unable to transfer data to or from.
McAfee is a virus.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

If you're talking about the inbuilt Windows 10 antivirus, then yes, it is sufficient. No need to spend money on another one, or install another free one.

The Microsoft one performs well enough for the average home user.

Source: I work in IT.
Old 27-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
If you're talking about the inbuilt Windows 10 antivirus, then yes, it is sufficient. No need to spend money on another one, or install another free one.

It's rubbish as are all AV's
Old 28-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
It's rubbish as are all AV's
No, it's sufficient for the average home user, as are most AVs. It will catch almost any virus that comes in on an email attachment or usb drive or something like that.

To say they are all rubbish is just ignorant and a flat out lie.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, it's sufficient for the average home user, as are most AVs. It will catch almost any virus that comes in on an email attachment or usb drive or something like that.

To say they are all rubbish is just ignorant and a flat out lie.
Do You understand how an AV works? If you did you'd understand that current malware has made them pretty much useless.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Do You understand how an AV works? If you did you'd understand that current malware has made them pretty much useless.
Yes I understand how they work.

And if you'd read my first post, you'd see I said it's not worth worth paying money for AV software.

Hence the one that comes with Windows is good enough. Sure, malware has changed, but AV is still able to catch a significant portion of it easily enough. I see it often enough to know.
Old 28-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I understand how they work.

And if you'd read my first post, you'd see I said it's not worth worth paying money for AV software.

Hence the one that comes with Windows is good enough. Sure, malware has changed, but AV is still able to catch a significant portion of it easily enough. I see it often enough to know.
Proper security costs little. Every system I've checked has been infected, not a good thungb
Old 28-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Windows Defender on windows 10 is pretty decent combined with being smart with what you click on and download.

Better than any of the other free ones, they all end up like malware themselves haha.

Paid AV might be slightly better whether you need it or not is another question.
Old 28-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #19
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest problem these days seems to be the man behind the keyboard. Phishing emails are getting more numerous and cleverer by the day. I the last few days I have been offered a job with a salary of $120K and have won $2000 vouchers from Amcal, Bunnings, and IGA, all from generous people in Hungary and Poland. It's good to have so many friends on the other side of the world that you have never heard of.

Of course I delete them immediately but they still send me reminders to reply before it's too late.

I think that if you were a bit down and out, greedy, or ignorant it would very difficult to ignore these emails, once you have opened them and supplied your details no AV program will be able to help you.
Old 29-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hungarian and Poles...consider yourself lucky.

I've got a bunch of rich uncles in Nigeria.
Now they are all dying!

I use MSE fwiw.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Hungarian and Poles...consider yourself lucky.

I've got a bunch of rich uncles in Nigeria.
Now they are all dying!

I use MSE fwiw.
You had better pack your funeral suit and get over there, sounds like your really in the big money, usually these guys never have less than 10 million each.

Last edited by Olbucko; 29-06-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #22
Peterwl

Windows Defender may be OK on Win 10, Win 8 and 8.1, but if you are running Windows XP and Widows 7, you are better off NOT using it. For it to operate,
( update ) you must have the Windows Update active on these 2 platforms and that is not a good idea. On XP and Win 7, the Windows Update should be not just put to "manual" , but disabled.

Avast Free, once set up properly is a very light weight and effective Anti virus program. In fact it is the best one for XP.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
You had better pack your funeral suit and get over there, sounds like your really in the big money, usually these guys never have less than 10 million each.
Haha, just yesterday I received one and I won $17.5 million in the West Africa Scam.

Yippee! :

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #24
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:

This.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post