Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #31
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Hey Russ - Yea, let's hope the Clio makes it! haha. Is spending it's first night away from home tonight out: :

Hmmmmmmm - After doing the whole spring thing before - I'm not sure I'd do it again! I'd recommend going for something expensive (and better) and getting shocks also. My Fiesta was riding VERY harsh on alot of Sydney Roads. Don't get me wrong, it handled great... but the shocks were getting worse week-by-week.

If your after cosmetics though, go ahead! I'd just recommend getting a better brand though.... Don't get cheap suspension and hence cheapen your car and risk all the $$$ Ford spent in getting the suspension right.
I've been a little unsure about Kings from the start...would really like the Eibach kit, I contacted Eibach Aust. directly for a quote. The price they gave me involved no negotiation from me, so it could get better...

I also work for a freight forwarder (ocean exports) and got one of our sales people to give them a call as a sales lead. Would be a great way to get a discount!!

I value quality over price though, so I'm keeping my options open atm. Has anyone heard anything about the Pedders kit? I assume it would be in the same league as the King Springs??

Also, kit in the link looks reasonable for price (yes I know its the Eiback kit) http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=465

= approx AUD$456.00 including shipping...another option I suppose
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 AM   #32
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Russ - I had Pedders on the Fiesta. Wasn't too impressed with ride (was great at the start though!). Things got bumpy towards the end... Steering/take off on bumpy roads got shocking towards the end of my time with the Fiesta

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #33
BlackLS

Backs spring are pretty easy to change (jack rear of the car up and go nuts with the spring compressers) fronts will need a few susp components unbolted.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #34
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the back was easy to change the springs, the front was a bit more work but having a mechanic brother helps too lol, as for quality i had kings superlows in my applause i used to drive and they lasted me 40,000kms, and the new owners still loves em after another 15,000
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #35
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I've been a little unsure about Kings from the start...would really like the Eibach kit, I contacted Eibach Aust. directly for a quote. The price they gave me involved no negotiation from me, so it could get better...

I also work for a freight forwarder (ocean exports) and got one of our sales people to give them a call as a sales lead. Would be a great way to get a discount!!

I value quality over price though, so I'm keeping my options open atm. Has anyone heard anything about the Pedders kit? I assume it would be in the same league as the King Springs??

Also, kit in the link looks reasonable for price (yes I know its the Eiback kit) http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=465

= approx AUD$456.00 including shipping...another option I suppose
I'd definitly rate King springs over pedders, I've probably fitted about 40 sets of Kings, never had any dramas, against probably 10 sets of pedders springs, where I had problems with about 5 (single springs) usually inconsistant heights/premature sagging.
I've got them in my Fiesta (Kings), very happy with them.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #36
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I have found a set of Eibach lowered springs (the co. orders the springs from Ford UK) for roughly AUD320.00 to my door. Still have to get a confirmation on price though.

Obviously I would have to factor in the cost/time of ftting them as well, but in terms of quality, I can't go wrong.

Kit is from below:
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=465
Old 08-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #37
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've found European Parts good to deal with in the past as well
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #38
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks for that melbzetec. They're relatively quick answering their emails...I think I will be going this option. Seems like the most sensible option by buying a kit that is fitted from the factory...should be good quality.

I'll keep you all posted on how I go.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #39
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I can now confirm you can get the Eibach Lowering kit from European Parts for $320.00AUD to Aust.

Will be ordering soon.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #40
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Awesome! That is cheap! Can't wait to see it Russ! Take photos when it is all done (I'm sure you would either way)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #41
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Paid $327AUD today for the kit (different exchange rate today!)...$235AUD for the kit and $92AUD for shipping. VERY good price I think!! Especially when the King Spring kit is $230AUD.

Shouldn't take too long to arrive (hopefully!!)
Old 22-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #42
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That kit arrived yet?
Old 25-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #43
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
That kit arrived yet?
Funny you ask...it arrived this morning actually! All looks good.

Getting it installed on Saturday morning...if all goes to plan, you (all going on the cruise) will see what the kit does to ride height soon
Old 26-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #44
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Can't wait to see it on sunday ;)

Old 26-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #45
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Better post some pics for the rest of us, though I'm sure there'll be pics of the cruise soon enough. I imagine the fiesta springs would be in the same ball park. Hmm?
Old 26-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #46
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah should be good, hopefully i can make it there if my pay's gone through
Old 26-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #47
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Better post some pics for the rest of us, though I'm sure there'll be pics of the cruise soon enough. I imagine the fiesta springs would be in the same ball park. Hmm?
Maybe try the following link...(where I bought mine...)

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=472

...and yes, I'll post some pics up here
Old 28-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #48
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Update:

Rear height needs to be fixed, but otherwise I'm happy. Car feels TOTALLY different to drive ie. HEAPS better!

Old 28-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #49
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Looks nice. I like it. How much drop is that and how much to get it installed?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #50
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Looks nice. I like it. How much drop is that and how much to get it installed?
Approx 35mm drop.

Eibach Pro-kit cost AUD$235 (+ approx AUD$90 for shipping from Germany)

Fitting cost $350 (front + rear alignment)
Old 05-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #51
BlackLS

How has the suspension settled?

I was going to suggest, weigh the back down a bit for a week, that will help settle the back a bit faster
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #52
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
How has the suspension settled?

I was going to suggest, weigh the back down a bit for a week, that will help settle the back a bit faster
I didn't even think of that! Thanks.

I will have the rear shorted next week, having the rear springs changed...was told should drop the height another 20mm.

Otherwise the ride/handling is great...can notice the extra firmness of the Eibachs, but its still comfortable...can notice a huge improvement in the amount of bodyroll, stays alot flater in the corners :
Old 14-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #53
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Just a quick update to say that the rear ride height issue has now been sorted. Front + rear ride height are now the same. Looks ALOT better! Rear of the sedan looks pretty mean when its low...if only I had some nice wheels :

Will hopefully have pics up on Saturday...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 14-06-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 15-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #54
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Awesome Russ! Haven't spoken to you in ages.

Be sure to post up some pics! Can't wait to see it.. the Sedan does look rather nice! More so then the Zetec Hatch.....

Wish the XR5T was out in a Sedan guise too... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 17-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #55
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

BEFORE...

AFTER...
Old 17-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #56
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Old 17-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #57
Uni

looks 110% better, very nice indeed! what was wrong with the rears?

i'm looking at getting this kit when the car finally arrives, how was the ride? is it jittery at all? i'm also interested to know how this will impact your warranty

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #58
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

SWEET! That looks great with the kit. How's the colour match on the bumpers? The one I looked at in the showroom was well off. You've got to be saving up for some 20's now?
Old 17-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #59
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
looks 110% better, very nice indeed! what was wrong with the rears?

i'm looking at getting this kit when the car finally arrives, how was the ride? is it jittery at all? i'm also interested to know how this will impact your warranty

Uni/.
Thanks I'm happy with the look. Ground clearance is still pretty good.

Rear didn't drop as far as it should have. Looked fairly nose heavy before it was changed.

The ride is noticably firmer, but its still comfortable. I'm planning on changing to some good quality shocks too, so ride will improve further.

There's threads here about mods affecting warranty, maybe try a search.
Old 17-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #60
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
SWEET! That looks great with the kit. How's the colour match on the bumpers? The one I looked at in the showroom was well off. You've got to be saving up for some 20's now?
The colour match isn't too bad. You can notice a little difference on mine, but its not really that noticable unless you have a close look and in the right/wrong(?) light...

20's?? No! Nice 17's, yes! I like my teeth in my mouth! :hihi: