Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #3331
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Solar panels

The problem with that is the storage facility needed for an estate or small suburb will cost a fortune, along with the constant maintenance and eventual swapping of batteries.

Even a basic system for a smallish house to get you off the grid will set you back $25k-30k.

The system in place where panels feed back into the grid is better as during the days houses are generally empty but then places of employment are busy.

Generated surplus energy is diverted where it's needed and the user gets a refund (albeit small and getting smaller) that then offsets the power they use in the evenings / weekends.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #3332
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 4kw system paid for itself in 2 1/2 years its been gravy ever since
Old 19-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #3333
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
My 4kw system paid for itself in 2 1/2 years its been gravy ever since
Would that be a typical result, it seems almost too good to be true?
40% return, where do I sign?
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #3334
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
With all new estates & suburbs being built in all major cities, make legislation that panels have to go on every roof and each suburb has its own grid. Whilst everybody is at work during the day, the grid can power up for when all the aircon, stoves & tvs go on when everybodys home at night.
So what you are proposing is that all owner/builders, builders or developers should have to put their hands in their pockets to pay for a service that we have already paid the state government to provide.

The power industry in NSW was in a very good position until the do-gooders started screwing with it.
Our coal fired technology is world's best and our coal burns the cleanest.
We are being jerked around by the hairy unwashed so that now we have to pay a lot more than it costs for our power so the industry can subsidise expensive alternative generation that will never be able to stand up to peak grid demand under any circumstances.

The wind dies down and the sun goes away at bed time. "Shall we cook out tin of mung beans for dinner by candlelight again tonight dear?"
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's

Last edited by snowcone; 19-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #3335
bingoTE50
Steve

Solar is perfect for offsetting peak loads in places like Hi-dependency Aged Care , Hospitals, shopping centers and alike .
I work for a Company that does this type of work. Battery storage is also ramping up with the new technologies it will become cheaper.
For a insight on these large installs , look at this site . http://solar-energy.uq.edu.au/
It shows you live data and historical data on their solar farm.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #3336
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
So what you are proposing is that all owner/builders, builders or developers should have to put their hands in their pockets to pay for a service that we have already paid the state government to provide.

The power industry in NSW was in a very good position until the do-gooders started screwing with it.
Our coal fired technology is world's best and our coal burns the cleanest.
We are being jerked around by the hairy unwashed so that now we have to pay a lot more than it costs for our power so the industry can subsidise expensive alternative generation that will never be able to stand up to peak grid demand under any circumstances.

The wind dies down and the sun goes away at bed time. "Shall we cook out tin of mung beans for dinner by candlelight again tonight dear?"
Well the way power companies are charging to supply electricity to households if you build more than a few metres from the power lines it will be cheaper to be totally off grid.Some people have had to have supply lines provided at their cost and sometimes it would be cheaper over a 5-6 year term to go completely self sufficient.The country is going to run out of stinking coal fired power fairly soon but no one seems interested in getting serious about cleaner more efficient systems
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #3337
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well the way power companies are charging to supply electricity to households if you build more than a few metres from the power lines it will be cheaper to be totally off grid.Some people have had to have supply lines provided at their cost and sometimes it would be cheaper over a 5-6 year term to go completely self sufficient.The country is going to run out of stinking coal fired power fairly soon but no one seems interested in getting serious about cleaner more efficient systems

I take offense at your comment of "stinking coal fired power"
This is a narrow minded statement to make. The technology used in NSW is world's first. Even 20 year ago we were exporting this technology to the Middle East for construction of power stations there. The worst you will see coming out of todays modern coal fired stations is water vapour from the cooling towers, not belching smoke stacks like in the 50's.
You can't smell anything at a power station now.
If you want cleaner power than coal, then uranium is your answer, and we have bucket loads of that too!
In any case, we are a long way short of running out of coal for power generation in Aus.
Besides the miriads of existing mines, there are leases that haven't even been touched yet.

We are exporting ten times more than we are using ourselves.
Why would you want to make power so expensive in Australia that we could no longer manufacture anything, or process aluminium, or operate an air conditioner at home or work on a hot day.
Do you think that the tiny bit of NOS that we produce will make the slightest difference to the world when you have China and India belting out copious amounts of smog with no intentions of slowing down.

Any attempts at raising power costs and taxing us only falls into our competitors hands as our costs keep rising, and not for any genuine reason because the cost to generate the power hasn't increased at all, it is just the alternative power that is costing us money.

By all means generate your own solar power if it gives you a warm feeling, but unless you go off the grid entirely, you will still be paying for it.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's

Last edited by snowcone; 19-01-2017 at 04:08 PM.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #3338
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
I take offense at your comment of "stinking coal fired power"
This is a narrow minded statement to make. The technology used in NSW is world's first. Even 20 year ago we were exporting this technology to the Middle East for construction of power stations there. The worst you will see coming out of todays modern coal fired stations is water vapour from the cooling towers, not belching smoke stacks like in the 50's.
You can't smell anything at a power station now.
If you want cleaner power than coal, then uranium is your answer, and we have bucket loads of that too!
In any case, we are a long way short of running out of coal for power generation in Aus.
Besides the miriads of existing mines, there are leases that haven't even been touched yet.

We are exporting ten times more than we are using ourselves.
Why would you want to make power so expensive in Australia that we could no longer manufacture anything, or process aluminium, or operate an air conditioner at home or work on a hot day.
Do you think that the tiny bit of NOS that we produce will make the slightest difference to the world when you have China and India belting out copious amounts of smog with no intentions of slowing down.

Any attempts at raising power costs and taxing us only falls into our competitors hands as our costs keep rising, and not for any genuine reason because the cost to generate the power hasn't increased at all, it is just the alternative power that is costing us money.

By all means generate your own solar power if it gives you a warm feeling, but unless you go off the grid entirely, you will still be paying for it.
Well said, all political parties & governments are scaremongering the population on pollution emissions & taxing us to the hilt, people should realise we are being conned.

If we are truly to use alternatives & lower emissions then stop exporting our resources at our expense.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #3339
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Would that be a typical result, it seems almost too good to be true?
40% return, where do I sign?
Back when the FIT was a lot more than it is now .... it was a good thing if you were an early adopter ... systems were paid of fairly quickly.

I'm not up with the figures now .... but last i remember reading you were only getting 6c per kWh back .... when it used to be 10-times that much and more.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #3340
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Back when the FIT was a lot more than it is now .... it was a good thing if you were an early adopter ... systems were paid of fairly quickly.

I'm not up with the figures now .... but last i remember reading you were only getting 6c per kWh back .... when it used to be 10-times that much and more.
Now down to 5c in Vic

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #3341
xr8cam

The real pricing problems always begin when these morons in politics sell off power/communication/transport/roads etc. They always say "it will open up the markets to competition when privateers take over'' The complete opposite happens. They collude together without any government intervention and the prices get higher & service gets worse. Remember what happened to greenslips?
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 03:07 AM   #3342
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a legacy of governments only expecting to serve a 4 yr term - quick money, but the government owned asset is then lost forever. Leasing is probably a better option.

I think the majority of the 66c/kwh solar contracts are now expired - nice reality check to now have the energy provider earn 30c+/per kwh and pay out 5/6c/kwh on energy they didn't have to generate.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #3343
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep was .24 now .08
Old 20-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #3344
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon I'm a big user and after looking at the numbers solar power is still a giant con.
Two people, $10 a Day here, cheap as chips & less than half the cost of a packet of smokes.
I don't care how much they spin it with their smoke & mirrors solar power is simply not viable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (57.3 KB, 50 views)
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #3345
xr8cam

It's always a laugh how many people are resistant to new technology and change. I remember exactly the same negative attitudes to mobile phones when they came out. All the same comments roll out every time. Remember when CDs came out in the late 80's? What a storm that created.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #3346
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many think it is not worth doing solar without the 60c FIT.
Reality is it is a quicker payoff at a smaller investment now.

To get a 2.5 year payoff in NSW (no batteries) you would probably have to work from home (I do)

I have done it twice, previous home with solar paid for itself in 4 years (3kw, north facing) this one paid for itself in 3 years (3.8kw with north, but primarily west facing)

Please investigate if you have any interest.

I am even looking at growing my current system - even though I will not get as good govt benefits for an "extension".
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #3347
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The country is going to run out of stinking coal fired power fairly soon
When would that be then ? how soon exactly ? and the end of the world is near oh and the Lord is making a come back too apparently, well he has been for a number of years now so some say.
I take it you have never used or are using any stinking coal fired power then ?
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #3348
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Does anyone know if/how I can get a live reading on how much electricity is being consumed at any given moment?
Can you read this from the meter or inverter?
I have the Fronius Primo 3kW. On a good day it'll make up to 18-19kWh.
For example, if the solar system is generating 2000W, how can I see what is being consumed by the house and what is going back to the grid?

What does a typical ducted reverse cycle aircon consume while running in aircon mode?

Cheers.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #3349
Rs31markie

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

My system came with an app for my phone, this gives info every 15mins. And also how much power I'm making,how much I'm using and what I'm importing and exporting. Perhaps contact the installer?
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #3350
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Turn A/C on in afternoon while suns out.. The solar will run A/C..
Turn it off as sun goes down.. Either through timer or WIFI through phone ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #3351
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
When would that be then ? how soon exactly ? and the end of the world is near oh and the Lord is making a come back too apparently, well he has been for a number of years now so some say.
I take it you have never used or are using any stinking coal fired power then ?
Dead right,when you have hydro and solar there is no need to rely on fossel fuel
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #3352
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the other Solar thread: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4398364.htm
Old 09-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #3353
paulie

I run 2 fridges and 2 freezers at home 24/7
Also have the ac on a timer. Comes on just before midday and i switch it off just before bed.
The solar covers the cost of it nicely.
last power bill was $110 for the quarter.

Only regret was not going for a bigger system.
Few extra panels would have done nicely. Only have a 3kw system due to being told i probably wouldn't fit that on my roof.
Only to find i could have went close to double the size.........

Keen to see about doing the shed aswell.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #3354
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Still 52 cents here till 2028...........
Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #3355
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

It's bigger than solar on houses.

All over Europe, houses have double glazing, proper insulation etc etc.

The percentage of houses with decent insulation in Australia would be in the single digits, why? Well my thought is that we're tight ***** and don't want to pay extra when building, but are seemingly happy to pay through the nose for what could be decades...

A properly insulated and built house should be comfortable inside, even in our hottest cities.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #3356
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post

The percentage of houses with decent insulation in Australia would be in the single digits, why? Well my thought is that we're tight ***** and don't want to pay extra when building, but are seemingly happy to pay through the nose for what could be decades...

A properly insulated and built house should be comfortable inside, even in our hottest cities.
You're spot on, SlamR. The other thing that amazes me is how we ignore what our predecessors learnt in this country. You have a look at all (ok, probably most) of the really old residential buildings, and they have verandas all the way around the house. Even without modern insulation materials, these houses tended to stay cool in the heat and warm in the cool. And yet our modern houses even have very little eave, let alone a veranda, either because we are too tight to pay for the veranda or because we want to maximise the space under the roof line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #3357
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't have double glazing but the house is fully insulated so it retains the warmth (or cool depending on the season) extremely well. I also have 6m wide verandahs which helps. I have a 5kw system but intend to upgrade it even further and am seriously looking at going off the grid. I still have plenty of roof space for more panels.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #3358
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We tend to think of a/c as a house feature, when we should realise it's an admission of a design flaw.
Old 14-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #3359
Doreturnonfoot

Anyone tried these power diverted devices that send your excess juice to heat your hot water
https://www.powerdiverter.com.au
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #3360
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Further to my earlier post, re feed in tariffs in Vic, saw in today's Herald Sun that the feed in tariff will increase from 5c to 11.3c per kilowatt hour as of 1 July this year.

Not back to the 66c days, but still better than a poke in the eye with a stick....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post: