Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #3151
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Yeah I tend to think if you signed up you'd get the short end of the stick!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #3152
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestin article form you south Australian residents

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...7fe3e1?login=1
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #3153
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Interestin article form you south Australian residents

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...7fe3e1?login=1
Only interesting if you subscribe to read it !
Old 15-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #3154
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...76e1a0b37fe3e1

Sorry, link worked from google. Just wait a minute and I'll find a link that works....

ok, try this one

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...axgrOmbj86kmlQ

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #3155
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...76e1a0b37fe3e1

Sorry, link worked from google. Just wait a minute and I'll find a link that works....

ok, try this one

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...axgrOmbj86kmlQ
Thanks for that. I don't subscribe so no idea what that would pop up.
Old 15-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #3156
prydey
Rob

Thumbs down Re: who amongst us have gone solar

So Adelaide solar customers are paying the highest rates in the country and now we are in for even more pain. Cool.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #3157
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did I read that link right?

After 9/2013 you get no feed-in tariff.
What's the point in going solar then?

I fear Western Power is going to be privatised soon. Selling off state owned power companies has been a disaster for Australians from what I can see.
Lots of hard currency for Chinese based companies though.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #3158
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the article
"Currently at 6.8 cents/kWh, when abolishing the R-FIT on Wednesday, ESCOSA said it hoped it would still be paid by retail companies when they signed up customers because they needed to compete against other companies"

Yeah right !
Screw the customer for every dollar possible rings a bell

How is it that in Nov/Dec a lot of those getting the guaranteed amounts of 43c, 60c or more are due to have those contracts end, thus putting more $$s into the power companies pockets and they still want to strip the FIT further.

Bring on better batteries I say !
Old 15-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #3159
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep I am ready now for batteries and all I keep seeing/hearing is better ways for them to screw us
like the W.A gov over the last few years have keep putting large increases on the power unit price now to sell to a privatise group and will be able to show profits are viable due to these recent increases so selling price will be good , and you know the private co price isn't going to be any better or how soon they will also want to improve their profits

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #3160
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! seen this last week, hoping it was false reporting but, look, it's really beyond a feasible joke......"did you hear the one about the chinaman who walked into parliament and held all south aussie residents to ransom"........

wouldn't believe it in a fit.....

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #3161
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they have the U.S. in their pocket to a large tune and now they have their sights set on us

suppose next year it will be mandatory to learn mandarin in the school curriculum

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #3162
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! probably.....they have the shiny shoe brigade in national security a bit worried apparently, purchasing so many so called "essential services".

we are already being "warned" by the Chinese according to a piece of news I heard the other day, don't know what that is about, probably "free trade".

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 16-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #3163
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't confirm if the reports are correct as my job was offshored to the Philippines a few weeks ago.

If the reports due I can't see many retailers continue to offer the buy back. They may offer a cent or 2.
Old 16-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #3164
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I can't confirm if the reports are correct as my job was offshored to the Philippines a few weeks ago.

If the reports due I can't see many retailers continue to offer the buy back. They may offer a cent or 2.
Oh dear, more people on the dole...

Sorry to hear of your job loss mate.

But hey lets bring in more 400/457 visas, there isn't enough workers in Australia....

We desperately need a turkey cull in this country, we vote out one lot of turkeys only to be replaced by more.
None of these pr!cks are electable.

XC Cobra #181.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #3165
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
they have the U.S. in their pocket to a large tune and now they have their sights set on us

suppose next year it will be mandatory to learn mandarin in the school curriculum
What really gets up my goat is we are being forced by the feds to sell off either our power company or our port just so we can receive our fair portion of GST revenue.
WA is already behind because we refuse to accept pokie machines or have toll roads.

Everyone appears to think that little Johnny was a great PM. I see him as one of the very worst...he sold off the family farm to make himself look good.
Now we are suffering.

XC Cobra #181.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #3166
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Ahh the old yellow pages test. I still cannot understand why sell off a profitable business just for short term gain (and maybe a few brown paper bags) You should see our airport precinct now. A hive of building that does not pay council rates yet takes from the commercial sector.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #3167
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Ahh the old yellow pages test. I still cannot understand why sell off a profitable business just for short term gain (and maybe a few brown paper bags) You should see our airport precinct now. A hive of building that does not pay council rates yet takes from the commercial sector.
So "they (turkeys) have an excuse to justify their exorbitant wages/super fund/perks/flights/junkets/stuff (and 24ct gold toilet paper) to the masses.
All whilst putting their name up in lights to say "Look what I did", so they can get an overpaid job in the private sector after politics

Sorry all, Like most of you, I too am tired of being on the receiving end of the Pineapple

I have, gone solar, bought energy efficient appliances, LED lights, Installed water tanks and flow limiting water saving devices and don't have A/C
All for what ????

Am going to have to go buy an old school fuel gusling `non emission V8
(and "test" the tyre's ability to grip, REGULARLY )
Old 16-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #3168
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I get the 52c FIT in QLD.
I used to make at least $100 per bill.
They've changed everything as of part way through my last billing period.

I got a usage charge of $0.61, not much at all I am well aware.

Big change from being up $100.

I invested $10k onto my roof in solar hot water and power. I haven't made my money back, and looks like now never will.

Beats me how any citizen is meant to be able to afford to live in the long term.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #3169
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two points:
1) Communities used to build new technologies to benefit everyone eg power stations and grids.
2)No one understands bartering these days. Simple explanation....If you take goods or services off someone and give them an IOU (ie $AU) then that IOU has to come back to you one way or the other at some point in time. So if you have nothing to offer other than real estate or farms or power stations or train lines or harbours than that is what you have to give them....your IOU has to come back. Enjoy your $10 tent, or your Samsung washing machine. Or your Solar Cells.

Last edited by 39ClevoUte; 16-08-2016 at 09:37 PM.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #3170
prydey
Rob

well, after reading that article about the FIT ending for those who installed solar between 2011 and 2013, which i did, i thought i'd look up my records to see if i had anything confirming the length of time the FIT would run for. I didn't find any documentation in my records but what i did find is that my system has been on since july 2012. can't believe its been on over 4 years.

so, i dug out all my AGL reciepts and added up how much i'd paid AGL since going solar. i then looked at the year previous to get an idea of how much i was paying before. long story short, i'm finally back in front. i paid for my system up front so to discover that we have essentially made that money back is very pleasing.
Old 17-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #3171
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Clevo View Post
Two points:
1) Communities used to build new technologies to benefit everyone eg power stations and grids.
2)No one understands bartering these days. Simple explanation....If you take goods or services off someone and give them an IOU (ie $AU) then that IOU has to come back to you one way or the other at some point in time. So if you have nothing to offer other than real estate or farms or power stations or train lines or harbours than that is what you have to give them....your IOU has to come back. Enjoy your $10 tent, or your Samsung washing machine. Or your Solar Cells.

trouble is we have and have given far more than an "IOU" we own and have traded untold billions of dollars in oil, gas, coal, steel as well as food and other commodities, we have received jack s.h.i.t. in return.......dont forget Australia and other nations built china from nothing and showed them how to trade to make untold wealth as they have done, China has been trading far longer than Australia has been a nation, they became smarter we didn't.

Australia should be the richest country on earth, we have absolutely everything and more that is needed for astronomical wealth.......so why aren't we.

simple answer is that our trading "partners" are smarter and tougher negotiators than our mob then we give them our land and our "essential services" to boot.

Australia has a lot to offer if we use it right, without going too much into political nonsense we have only ourselves to blame, we educate these people, we raise them in cottonwool far away from reality, we give them a life of luxury then we elect them to run the country without the knowledge or experience to do so, the big business education system of Harvard, Yale and others all turn out the same business model, "greed is good".

but the way the system is run by, and leans toward big business and the wealthy (who own everything) then we shouldn't be surprised when the little man is ground down further on the "level playing field" or gets minced up in the "global economy"

decent batteries are the answer but Govco ( big business by any other name) won't allow it.

3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #3172
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I cant see what all the fuss is about with regard to power prices, we pay our power fortnightly with a bill smoothing card, about $65, thats for a family of 6.

Thats what, $420 a qtr, big deal, we blow more than that on Macca's.

Infact, when we pay our fortnightly bills, energy expenses is the least of my concerns.

100yrs ago people cut wood for heating, lit oil lamps for lighting, washed their own dishes and enjoyed each others company. Today we push a few buttons and our home is at the exact temperature we want, flick a switch and we have enough light to be seen from space, retrieve our crockery from the stainless steel slave under the bench each meal and spend every spare minute checking out what our best friends, who we never see, have had for dinner.
And whinge for having to pay for the privaledge.

Whats ironic is that despite all the whinging, i could walk into almost any home in this country and find a light on in an empty room, a TV talking to itself etc. etc.

Solar is a scam, set up to keep people working when things were flat, same as gas conversions, now we find gas will be fased out in the not too distant future and so will the perks for solar.

My2c.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #3173
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone got the offer from AGL regarding the batteries????

what are the terms, are you still tied to an agreement?

what if you expand the batteries, can you say oorroo to AGL or are you "contracted" to stay?

whetheral wants the other suppliers to match AGL with subsidised batteries.......interesting times ahead.

Old 17-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #3174
peaterj
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
has anyone got the offer from AGL regarding the batteries????

what are the terms, are you still tied to an agreement?

what if you expand the batteries, can you say oorroo to AGL or are you "contracted" to stay?

whetheral wants the other suppliers to match AGL with subsidised batteries.......interesting times ahead.
I believe you have to apply and the conditions don't look very good to me according to the FAQ.

https://aglsolar.com.au/power-in-numbers/

The agreement to participate in the virtual power plant is for a 5 year period. To participate in the virtual power plant, you must remain an AGL Energy electricity customer for the 5 year term of the agreement. At the end of the period you can choose to exit the agreement.
By participating in the virtual power plant you will have a cutting edge battery installed at a great price. If you choose to exit the agreement before the scheduled end date, you will be required to pay an early termination fee. The fee is capped at $5,000 and takes into account the period you have participated in the program and the total value of the products installed. This early termination fee is listed in the terms and conditions provided with your quote.
If you move house, AGL may agree to transfer ownership to the new owner or arrange for your battery to be transferred to your new property at your cost, so you can keep enjoying the benefits.
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #3175
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! okay, thats not as bad as I thought actually......

Old 17-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #3176
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What kind of cost would one be looking at for some solar panels and a Tesla solar battery?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #3177
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Solar is a scam,
i probably wouldn't call it a scam, but i would agree that it is only viable with a govt rebate attached. of course their are exceptions, but mostly you need the rebate to make it worthwhile.

solar certainly helped us with our bills saving at least $1500/yr. could i have made the same savings by modifying our lifestyle? no. i'm sure i could save but not to the same extent. would solar have made such an impact without the govt FIT? certainly not.

one thing though, how much strain is being taken off the grid by solar customers?
Old 17-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #3178
xexr6t

Solar adds strain to the grid. Frequency fluctuations from solar are made up for by base load coal power stations. Voltage spikes require voltage regulator upgrades in the system that push up prices for all customers. Feed in tariffs are paid by tax payers taking money from schools and hospitals to help pay some to reduce their bills.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #3179
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
I get the 52c FIT in QLD.
I used to make at least $100 per bill.
They've changed everything as of part way through my last billing period.

I got a usage charge of $0.61, not much at all I am well aware.

Big change from being up $100.

I invested $10k onto my roof in solar hot water and power. I haven't made my money back, and looks like now never will.

Beats me how any citizen is meant to be able to afford to live in the long term.
Yep, I am in the same boat. Something has changed here. I get the 52 cents as well and was always in credit. Each Bill my credit is getting lower and lower............ And we have less people in the house.........
Old 18-08-2016, 12:57 AM   #3180
prydey
Rob

Do you monitor the actual rate you pay for each kwh? Also do you monitor the point at which the tariffs change? Sometimes they are sneaky and rather than up the rate, they just change the point at which you jump up to the next bracket.

I think ours is the first 1500kwh are billed at the standard rate, then 2 more levels after that. Not sure the exact breakdown but I know it varies between providers which makes it hard to compare apples with apples when you are looking around.