Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default HOW TO - Installing an aftermarket headunit in a '05-07 Focus‏

There's been a few threads about installing aftermarket headunits in a Mk2, most being about the plug and play units from China. As I had no need for a DVD Player or integrated GPS in my Focus (given I might use my Navman once a month at the most), I chose to go down the brand name path. I actually bought a single DIN facia a few years ago (that I no longer need, PM if interested) after initially planning on installing an Alpine single DIN. After seeing this unit, I changed my mind. Double DIN definitely fills the space a lot better, and this unit has an OEM look, the button and display colours are fully customisable, and it produces a pretty decent sound. But most importantly - it supported USB.

I researched online and found some handy info on the XR5 Turbo forums. Although a remote comes with the headunit, steering wheels controls would be handy to keep. I gathered up the bits and pieces and result is this:

The headunit was released early this year and apparently its selling out everywhere, which is interesting given JVC aren't the strongest brand when it comes to car audio. I had a few issues with a local car audio place waiting on a new shipment from JVC, so ended up going with Ryda - $350 (not delivered).

For those not sure about going down the Chinese DVD/GPS headunit route, brand name is also very easy to install if you do a little homework. You may not get the same features for the price as a Chinese unit, but you get good after sales support, if something goes wrong you don't have to send stuff back to China, and you're less likely to get a clunky, poorly designed UI.

There are plenty of people that say the Mk2 needs a CAN-BUS interface (which cost up to $100) to install a aftermarket headunit and use the steering wheel controls. You don't. Car audio places will tell you the same thing - don't listen!!

N.B: The following parts relate to 2005-2007 Focus models (square headunit).

• Autoleads PC99-X50 Interface Lead will connect your OEM plug to your new headunit's ISO plug.
  • Aerpro Universal ISO harness - because car audio manufacturers don't agree on using the universal (ISO) connection, I also bought this to connect the plug supplied with the headunit to the ISO connection of the Autoleads Interface Lead and wired it up myself.
  • Autoleads Steering Wheel Control Patch lead - you will need a brand specific patch lead for the steering wheel controls, model number will be PC-JVC, PC-SON, PC-KEN, etc for a JVC, Sony or Kenwood.
  • Double DIN or single DIN facia fitting kit specific to the 2005+ Focus.
  • Antenna Adapter to connect the OEM (Fakra) radio antenna connection to a DIN connection.
There is a specific procedure to follow when installing the patch lead to get the steering wheel controls to work, but its pretty easy. Complete installation took around 15 mins.

Cost all up of connections/facia's/etc came to around AU$150 including shipping. Steering wheel controls work perfectly - all the buttons work in the same way, except when you hold the track up/down button you move to the previous/next album when using USB - very handy! USB works very well, have 20gb of music on a 32gb USB stick and it takes around 10-15 secs to load. Only negative is that if you turn the ignition on and the USB finishes loading, it has to read again when you start the car. Pretty sure this is the same for most headunits that read USB. I just make sure I turn the unit off before I turn the ignition off so it doesn't try to load the next time I start the car.

Bluetooth (calls + music) is also handy and works well, although I have only used it a couple times.

A few pics:

Because of the carbon fibre wrap, the facia trim is a very tight fit. Might need to sand one side a little. Undecided if I want to wrap the facia in the carbon wrap...

Day mode colour scheme:

Night mode colour scheme:

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or PM.

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Thanks Russ, thorough as usual!

Sticky?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Awesome write up, thanks a bunch.

Will definitely come back to this one when its time for me to do my upgrade!

On a related note, are you able to advise what size speakers are in the doors and behind the mirrors (I'm sure there's speakers there in my Zetec) so I know what size to replace them with when I come to putting in some better quality ones?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Thanks Dan, there was a lot of info out there but definitely plenty of things I picked up along the way. Better for others to pick up some tips here than to spend the money and not have the right parts.

Riksta - speakers in the front + rear doors are 6.5 inch, with plastic spacers held in with rivets that you drill out. You can replace these spacers with MDF ones you make yourself or plastic ones that screw straight in, like this. Not entirely sure on the tweeters, although pretty sure most are 2 inch and come with fitting kits so they fit most cars.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 13-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for that.

Its sort of not a big thing at the moment, kind of more interested on spending on the LTD instead of on the Focus, but its handy to know as a stereo is one upgrade I can always find the means to justify.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 14-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
portpiro
Starter Motor

this is awesome. this was in the too hard basket for me until now...

few questions...

I have an iphone 3gs and would love a unit that connected calls (incl address book), and music. it appears as if this model is not compatible with iphones, can u confirm this?

does the facia trim a snug fit? ie. does the unit sit in solidly and not move around when buttons are pressed?

when u say 'wired it up yourself' was this just a matter of connecting colours?!?!

well played sir!
portpiro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portpiro
this is awesome. this was in the too hard basket for me until now...

few questions...

I have an iphone 3gs and would love a unit that connected calls (incl address book), and music. it appears as if this model is not compatible with iphones, can u confirm this?

does the facia trim a snug fit? ie. does the unit sit in solidly and not move around when buttons are pressed?

when u say 'wired it up yourself' was this just a matter of connecting colours?!?!

well played sir!
I don't own an iPhone myself, but the owners manual (from JVC NZ, but same unit as Oz) is pretty helpful. I would say its definitely compatible for calls (including your phonebook/missed calls, dialled calls/etc) and music.

If you're lucky enough to find one, I would suggest connecting to a unit on display. Even bring your charging cable along. You can also try connecting via bluebooth by turning on the unit and holding the phone button to create a new pairing.

The facia is a pretty snug fit. I will take more pics (in better light especially!) when I've decided what I'm doing with the carbon fibre wrap.

Wiring up myself was mostly a matter of matching the wires based on what was printed on the Aerpro adapter wires vs the wiring diagram that came with the unit. I'm no expert when it comes to electronics, but it was very easy...just a little time confusing. I soldered them all, taped each wire then taped them all together to keep things neat.

This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
portpiro
Starter Motor

sweet

does the colour change when headlights are activated or does it go by the time?
Old 15-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
portpiro
Starter Motor

also did u need to buy keys to remove the stock unit?
Old 15-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

You get the following options with the colour (dimmer) mode:

• Auto - changes from day mode to night mode when you turn on the lights.
  • On - night mode only
  • Off - day mode only
  • Time set - option to set a time for colour modes to change. I use this option as I always drive with my headlights on.
Good questions about the removal keys. Yes, you will definitely need them - the above guide is a little redundant without them! You should be able to buy them for less than AU$5.00 shipped - plenty on eBay.

Old 16-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

For anyone interested, the JVC KD-XR816 is also available as a single DIN unit. I also just so happen to have an unused single DIN facia for sale
I have Focus chrome interior door pulls up for grabs too.

Old 24-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quick update...

One thing to keep in mind when installing is that the steering wheel plug that goes in the back in the unit is a very tight fit - its a 3.5mm mono connection with an elbow at the end.

When I first hooked up the steering wheel controls they didn't work as the plug couldn't push in properly. This was easily fixed by making a mono extension lead (cost less than $5). You just have to make sure when you make the extension lead you use a straight (not elbow) connector, and connectors + wire must all be mono.

Old 19-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

Great write up #Russ#Es#, I've got a whole bunch of kit for my foci. I've got so many questions. I ask as I am considering doing the same thing as the current stock system is nothing flash.

Did you look at any other head units?
What was the deciding factor for going for the head unit you did?
Did you upgrade your speakers along the way? If so, what?
Are you running an amp?

Last question, I've got heaps more, but, where the hell are the screws on the front & rear doors? I've got a 07 Zetec.

Thanks
Brotherontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherontherun
Great write up #Russ#Es#, I've got a whole bunch of kit for my foci. I've got so many questions. I ask as I am considering doing the same thing as the current stock system is nothing flash.

Did you look at any other head units?
What was the deciding factor for going for the head unit you did?
Did you upgrade your speakers along the way? If so, what?
Are you running an amp?

Last question, I've got heaps more, but, where the hell are the screws on the front & rear doors? I've got a 07 Zetec.

Thanks
Ask as many questions as you like, if it means you'll feel more confident in upgrading your head unit. The only info I could find (based in Oz) when I was researching was in the xr5turbo forums, so I wasn't 100% certain all the plugs would work as they should given the origin of the XR5/CC vs the rest of the range.

I looked at the following models, as well as toyed with the idea of getting a DVD/GPS unit from China:

Clarion CX609A - Ugly
Pioneer AVH-P3250DVD - Too expensive, no need for DVD
Kenwood DPX-MP6110U - No rear USB
Alpine CDE-W203E - Bluetooth not built in, display from the 80's!
Anything Sony - no thanks...maybe 10-15 years ago, not now.

The issue I had with most double DIN (but not touchscreen) CD players was they just didn't integrate well with the interior. Most of these units to me just aren't pretty. They are also limited in the display/button colour options, which makes them even harder to integrate. These manufacturers seem to spend most of their resources on the touch screen/DVD double DIN units with the rest of their range being an afterthought. But I guess looks are a subjective thing!

As I mentioned in my first post, USB connectivity was one of my main priorities. Most of the above units only have a front USB connection - this might be ok for some, but given I wanted an OEM look, having a USB drive sticking out the front of the unit would have looked pretty ordinary. I fed the USB cable from the unit to the small storage area where the 12v outlet is housed, so its not in sight at all. Now that I've been using it for a little while, having bluetooth has also been very handy. Had to play with placement of the mic initially, but it works well now. Not all of the above models came with bluetooth built in, the Alpine unit requires an add-on unit.

I didn't replace the speakers but plan to put some decent splits in this year some time, as well as Dynamat the doors. Will most likely add an amp and replace the rears a little further down the track.

It is a little hard to explain exactly where, but the front/rear door trim don't have any screws around the outside holding it on. There are a couple bolts fixing the armrest area to the door frame, but the trim is mostly held on by plastic clips. I'll see if I can dig up a pic for you, the clips can break easily and they're not cheap (I was charged $5 each and I had to replace 3 or 4).

Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

Hey #Russ#Es#,

I finally found some time to respond as each time I have a moment to log on it’s at work and try as I might I can’t post from work. So, I’ve really given some time to your write up and as much as I would love to install my gear in one go but I’ve decided to bite off the install in parts.

The only part I needed is a head unit and sorry to steal your concept but I couldn’t go past it for a number of reasons but the most important one was the colour option other than what you already listed. It’s always annoyed me not being able match all the dash lights put it down to being retentive.
I’ve given the install some thought and have the following questions:
- Where did you install the mic for the handsfree? Any problems?
- How long did it take you to install?

Other than that, I am just waiting on the parts to arrive before installing... Cant wait.

Cheers man for the inspiration and also for the link to fordxrturbo forum.
Brotherontherun
Old 15-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherontherun
Hey #Russ#Es#,

I finally found some time to respond as each time I have a moment to log on it’s at work and try as I might I can’t post from work. So, I’ve really given some time to your write up and as much as I would love to install my gear in one go but I’ve decided to bite off the install in parts.

The only part I needed is a head unit and sorry to steal your concept but I couldn’t go past it for a number of reasons but the most important one was the colour option other than what you already listed. It’s always annoyed me not being able match all the dash lights put it down to being retentive.
I’ve given the install some thought and have the following questions:
- Where did you install the mic for the handsfree? Any problems?
- How long did it take you to install?

Other than that, I am just waiting on the parts to arrive before installing... Cant wait.

Cheers man for the inspiration and also for the link to fordxrturbo forum.
Brotherontherun
Please feel free to steal whatever ideas you like. Better to go to the trouble and expense of getting all the gear and knowing it all works the way it should. Like I said above, I was fortunate enough to find the thread on the fordxr5turbo forum and thought others would appreciate a full guide (especially in something other than a XR5).

I had to play with the placement of the mic until I was happy. It is now fitted to the plastic trim where the spot for the grab handle should be on the drivers side. The mic comes with a clip you can slide onto the sun visor, as well as a small plastic plate with double sided tape and a swivel joint so you can position it how you like it. Call quality wasn't as good with the clip on the sun visor, but now much better - I have a feeling being closer to the windscreen may have affected call quality.

Fitting the unit itself (including enabling the steering wheel controls) probably took 15-20 mins. If you included the time it took to fit the mic (less than 10 mins), and play around with sound eq/display/bluetooth/etc, I would say no more than 2 hours in total.

Old 18-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Conquest_Tsi

Great work, looks fantastic!
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #18
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HOW TO - Installing an aftermarket headunit in a '05-07 Focus‏

okay, I'm currently in KL and I've got only the weekend to purchase any of the below. Which would you choose:- for an LS focus.

1) http://www.maxaudio.com.my/index.php...productId=5583

2) http://www.maxaudio.com.my/index.php...wCat&catId=472

3) http://www.12v.com.my/Power-Vision-P...253&doit=order

4) http://www.12v.com.my/Carvox-CX-890-...251&doit=order

5) http://www.lelong.com.my/eonon-d2209...-04-Sale-P.htm

6) http://www.lelong.com.my/7-2-din-car...-01-Sale-I.htm

7) http://www.lelong.com.my/flux-capaci...-07-Sale-P.htm

8) http://www.pioneermalaysia.com.my/pr...ils.php?id=317

These are all roughly the same price note some have TV DVB-T tuners and GPS built in. ~RM800-1500 = AUD$300-$500.

Which would you prefer. If I leave Malaysia with nothing then I will order the below online.

9) http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/C...php?prod=68221

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
okay, I'm currently in KL and I've got only the weekend to purchase any of the below. Which would you choose:- for an LS focus.

1) http://www.maxaudio.com.my/index.php...productId=5583

2) http://www.maxaudio.com.my/index.php...wCat&catId=472

3) http://www.12v.com.my/Power-Vision-P...253&doit=order

4) http://www.12v.com.my/Carvox-CX-890-...251&doit=order

5) http://www.lelong.com.my/eonon-d2209...-04-Sale-P.htm

6) http://www.lelong.com.my/7-2-din-car...-01-Sale-I.htm

7) http://www.lelong.com.my/flux-capaci...-07-Sale-P.htm

8) http://www.pioneermalaysia.com.my/pr...ils.php?id=317

These are all roughly the same price note some have TV DVB-T tuners and GPS built in. ~RM800-1500 = AUD$300-$500.

Which would you prefer. If I leave Malaysia with nothing then I will order the below online.

9) http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/C...php?prod=68221
A few good looking options there.

Unfortunately my laptop is dead atm so could only check to links from my phone, but a few things to keep in mind:
1. Product support for these units
2. USB 2.0 vs 1.0
3. Compatibility of radio (and TV tuner and satnav if applicable) in Oz, frequencies + digital radio, etc.
4. Ease of fitting - there are plenty of units from China that are made to fit a Focus, not just fitting directly in the dash but also plugs straight into your existing plugs. Not sure which of these units are a direct plug and plug. A plug and play should only have 1 or 2 plugs, not a bunch of RCA plugs.

The Pioneer unit may not be as pretty or have the same features as the other brands but I'm pretty sure you can buy this same unit in Oz, so if you can get it cheaper in Malaysia I would go that option.

Old 27-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
A few good looking options there.

Unfortunately my laptop is dead atm so could only check to links from my phone, but a few things to keep in mind:
1. Product support for these units
2. USB 2.0 vs 1.0
3. Compatibility of radio (and TV tuner and satnav if applicable) in Oz, frequencies + digital radio, etc.
4. Ease of fitting - there are plenty of units from China that are made to fit a Focus, not just fitting directly in the dash but also plugs straight into your existing plugs. Not sure which of these units are a direct plug and plug. A plug and play should only have 1 or 2 plugs, not a bunch of RCA plugs.

The Pioneer unit may not be as pretty or have the same features as the other brands but I'm pretty sure you can buy this same unit in Oz, so if you can get it cheaper in Malaysia I would go that option.
So I spent 8hrs today viewing most of these units and most fit my needs. But the TV tuners were analog. I could get the same or slightly cheaper directly from the manufacturer which is chinavision.com with the faster processor and digital DVB-T tuners for AU$250.

With the headaches of getting the stearing column remotes working, I'm leading towards ipmart, last link which is a direct fitment to the LS focus and looks like the stock radio with screen and TV tuner(analog), but includes GPS.

All these built in GPS can run any software, ie TOMTOM, Garmin, Igo etc, with a simple workaround, as they all run WinCE.

I tested most of these units, importantly the startup times from cold, and they were all impressive, like 30odd seconds.

I am getting greddy now, and thinking of doing the same with my other car, XR6, using an overhead LCD monitor and a single din inbuilt DVD player.

I was looking at headrest with monitors today(a pair, leather, black) complete with monitor's were RM300 = $100. Couldnt go wrong! these are complete with headrest which are suitable replacements, with adjustable poles.

Argghhhh. Only got till tomorrow to do last minute shoping, but I'm I've decided to get them online from chinavision and ipmart with DHL shippping....

Imaz

Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have decided to go for this:-

http://www.lsqbusiness.com/qqxx/enpr...how.asp?id=188

Hope it to arrive end of this week.

Imaz

Old 07-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has arrived!

This is my focus wiring harness, wtf? its different to the UK! So how?

It came with the UK focus harness.

Not connected yet... I may start soldering tonight.

Imaz

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

That looks good in there, thinking of getting one of those units myself imaz.

Let us know how it all goes & works!
Quote:
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
That looks good in there, thinking of getting one of those units myself imaz.

Let us know how it all goes & works!
ok guys,

I hard wired all last night after work, finished about 10pm. Its spectacular!!!!!!!!

Boot time is extremely fast, navigation also fast and accurate, RDS Radio!, Digital DVB-T(I optioned for extra $40)! works well, 60wx4!. I have nothing negative to say about it...

HD Screen as well. I highly recommend getting exactly the same model and from the same supplier.

LSQBusiness, purchased through alibaba.com/aliexpress. Alibaba dont make the payments to the shop until you are satisfied with the product, otherwise releases the payment by default after 28days....

Speak to/chat to Cindy Zhao from LSQ Business. They make a lot of custom dvd players for all makes of cars, if you browse their main website.

I paid all up US$430 with DVB-T and Australia Maps(which included many countries). Otherwise the stock price is US$380 I think. Free DHL shipping to Australia, 3-5business day. Imagine, I paid last Friday midnight and I got it yesterday..

I only have one part to complete, which is wire up the two wire stearing column remote, which this unit supports by default without a canbus module. On an XR5, this unit will plug straight in with the supplied euro harness.

let me know if you need any details.

Supports everything you can imagine.

Imaz

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

How's the iPod integration on it?

Does it play Div-X files?
Quote:
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
It has arrived!

This is my focus wiring harness, wtf? its different to the UK! So how?

It came with the UK focus harness.

Not connected yet... I may start soldering tonight.

Great to see it arrived. Looking forward to reading a full report!

It now seems that Ford issued more than one plug for the LS Focus. Portpiro has had the same issue as you, exactly the same plug. Maybe drop him a PM. I know there are a number of adapters that do seem to fit your plug, however the steering wheel controls still don't seem to work.

I would suggest possibly contacting Autoleads, and for a local option, maybe try Aerpro. Sorry my guide wasn't conclusive, I would hate to know haw many times the plug has changed from a 2005 LS to 2011 LV!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #27
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
How's the iPod integration on it?

Does it play Div-X files?
I will test the ipod/iphone tonight with my wifes phone. I assume it will be fine too.

Yes, supports avi, xvid/divx, dvd etc.

Imaz

Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Sorry my guide wasn't conclusive, I would hate to know haw many times the plug has changed from a 2005 LS to 2011 LV!
Its okay, It could take forever looking for the right harness adapter. I bought a soldering iron yesterday and went straight in. I have the wiring diagram I found on the web, so it was straight forward.

I just tapped in and soldered, I didnt cut the original ford harness.

What took me the longest is I lost power after disconnecting the original ford HU, fuse blew to the radio on the accessories and power line to the radio only. My longest time spent was looking for the fuse box, and only found the obvious one under the hood. Had to get my manuals to find the internal fuse box UNDERneath the glovebox!!!! which needed to be unscrewed and dropped down! thats one tight **** fittment. Well done ford.

So I borrowed the tail rego plate light fuse for the radio.

Imaz

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

IMAZ,

I looked up this thread as I was finally contemplating hooking in the plug for the steering controls after months of putting in the stereo.

The harness that you connected to was for the ford festiva BTW. I had the same head scratching when I upgraded mine. I too also took the solder out and took me ages! Still couldn't figure out the steering controls from the crappy instructions the patch cables came with

Cheers B
Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #30
xgrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Its okay, It could take forever looking for the right harness adapter. I bought a soldering iron yesterday and went straight in. I have the wiring diagram I found on the web, so it was straight forward.

I just tapped in and soldered, I didnt cut the original ford harness.

What took me the longest is I lost power after disconnecting the original ford HU, fuse blew to the radio on the accessories and power line to the radio only. My longest time spent was looking for the fuse box, and only found the obvious one under the hood. Had to get my manuals to find the internal fuse box UNDERneath the glovebox!!!! which needed to be unscrewed and dropped down! thats one tight **** fittment. Well done ford.

So I borrowed the tail rego plate light fuse for the radio.

Hey guys
sorry to reopen such an old thready but does anyone have the wiring diagram that imaz was talking about to help me out
just got a similar headunit for our LT TDCi and have the same problem where the plugs are different!!!

HELP PLZ!!

Cheers guys
xgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post