Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Question Centre Console Mod - thoughts

Just recently I've been able to grab some used bits off ebay for the Focus, have had an eye out for these for a while. Bought the below for $25 (AUD), sorry for the poor quality pic.

I've had the intention to paint/apply vinyl/etc to make my centre console look a little different, and thought having a relatively cheap extra set to work on would mean I don't have a hole in the centre console and can put the stock one back in when it comes time to sell.

Would be great to get people's thoughts colours/finishes I should go for. Given I have a Momo carbon fibre-look gear knob + leather boot...pic below, and want to keep with the understated look, please make your suggestions.

Some thoughts so far:
  • Piano Black finish (but shows finger prints/dust, and makes a dark cabin look even darker)
  • Apply carbon fibre-look sheeting (decent stuff, not the stuff you find at Superdodge Auto)
  • Apply brushed alloy-look sheeting (again, decent stuff).
  • Titanium Grey, metallic
  • Gloss grey with coloured flake
  • Pearlescent silver (my preferred choice atm - similar to stock, but with more depth and gloss). The stock silver is very flat and dull.
/thinking caps on

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Fwiw mentioning, the xr5 has a carbon fibre look console.

Have you thought about colour matching it to your cars colour? It'd look rice in my car with the orange but in yours with the grey/silver it'd look ok I think.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Fwiw mentioning, the xr5 has a carbon fibre look console.

Have you thought about colour matching it to your cars colour? It'd look rice in my car with the orange but in yours with the grey/silver it'd look ok I think.
Cheers, colour matching would work well with my grey. Just wasn't sure if it would stand out enough from the grey plastic of the dash, etc. Don't want anything that stands out heaps, but a contrast would be good. Also, if I find a colour and finish I REALLY like, I'll paint the a/c vent surrounds as well and possibly the door inserts/arm rests if I feel adventurous.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 25-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Ok, have done a little more homework.

Two options I've found so far:

Carbon Fibre (little different to the XR5 carbon fibre)
http://www.metrorestyling.com/Metro-...nyl-s/4746.htm

Duplicolor Metal Specks in Sparkle Silver
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalspecks.html

Any other thoughts?

Old 25-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You could also try water transfer printing.

There is Unique Coating Solutions (03 8336 1010. 14 Mohr Street. Tullamarine )....but I won't give you the wensite link as it has currently been hacked.

MAD Coatings in Qld do similar work (www.mad-coatings.com) but check their website for ideas only, because I can't recommend them, as they did a shoddy job for me
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I would go body colour, but not sure how close to the rest of the trim your body colour would be. The carbon fibre vinyl posted above looks pretty cool too!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I think that carbon fibre would look nice, as long as it was done well, with quality material. It would go along well with that quality momo gear knob and boot.

Alternatively, I would go for the brushed aluminium, which will give a modern, classy look.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

i would go a brushed silver, similar to the aircon vent surround.. or
a metallic grey like your body colour, anthin with depth would be good tho!

good luck
Old 27-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
You could also try water transfer printing.

There is Unique Coating Solutions (03 8336 1010. 14 Mohr Street. Tullamarine )....but I won't give you the wensite link as it has currently been hacked.

MAD Coatings in Qld do similar work (www.mad-coatings.com) but check their website for ideas only, because I can't recommend them, as they did a shoddy job for me
Thanks Steve, some nice work there and a really good suggestion.

I guess I should have mentioned my other criteria...if possible, less than $100 all up, but will have a good look into these options.

I'm pretty happy to give most things a go myself and am a pretty picky about how I like things to look, so a DIY option would be a good for me. Also more fun knowing you've done it yourself (given you have the skills/tools of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
I think that carbon fibre would look nice, as long as it was done well, with quality material. It would go along well with that quality momo gear knob and boot.

Alternatively, I would go for the brushed aluminium, which will give a modern, classy look.
Lower spec interior, but carbon fibre using a 3M product. Still not 100% sold on the lack of contrast.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Old 27-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

maybe you could coat the carbon fiber with a thick resin to get that gloss look? look good tho
Old 27-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, this is a little different. How about a GT stripe theme painted on?

This is a r e a l quick 'chop, but you get the idea.

Bit different. You could also do it in vinyl. You can also buy a clear liquid, forget the trade name, used to be GraphiGoo, that you syringe on to cut vinyl, and it runs to the very edges, making a nice clear lens type finish with rounded edges. Like a car badge. You hit it with UV light and it hardens.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw something different in!

Old 27-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Cyborg1978

That's the one, I love it a few people are going to copy that.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I think we have a winner! Thanks Leakey! It is different, something I was defintely looking for.

I was even thinking a little bit of red or orange (as a stripe) might work too. The other thing I need to decide is what to garnish the flap with...I've always thought it was a good spot for a badge/etc.

Old 28-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might do you a broader pic of it and spend a bit more time on the details.

Be interesting how it looks right thru to the hazard switch.

The Ghia has a silver cover around the cup holders yeah?
I think it would look good continuing along one of them too.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
casabonka
You can call me Chris

The stripe looks great. Question is, where do you get that little flap thingy? My car doesnt have that!!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 29-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha, me too Chris. Try wreckers mate. In fact I think my first post ever on this site was asking where to get one!
Old 29-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
casabonka
You can call me Chris

thx mate, off to pick n payless when it stops raining!!!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 29-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Matey, while your there.... if they happen to have two.....
Old 30-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Just found this site.
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
A choice of colours. And some good videos included
Appears to be one of the best quality around (3M). Looks much better than I thought it would. ....in fact may give it a go myself!

(mmmmmm a full body wrap....now there's an idea!)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Hmmm - Use a lot of 3M gear at work (signage) thats very tempting to play with some stuff in my car...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 31-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks for the link. I saw these guys too, but Metro Restyling have the same 3M product and are a little cheaper...plus they offer free worldwide shipping

There is a youtube video of a New Mini wit the roof being covered in the stuff (3M promo car). Can imagine using that much wouldn't be cheap, but cheaper than the real thing I guess.

Am split between silver or pewter 3M DI-NOC and the stripe option suggested by Leakey. Obviously the carbon fibre is the easy option...(maybe slightly more expensive).

Some graphite or silver would look good in your LR Steve!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Metro Restyling have the same 3M product and are a little cheaper...plus they offer free worldwide shipping
Correction - Metro DON'T offer free worldwide shipping, only free US domestic shipping. For an order of graphite 3M DI-NOC 30cmx122cm = approx AU$55.00...that's with the poor Aussie dollar atm too. Not bad

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quick update - other than researching new dampers, have gathered a couple things for the mods I've got planned for the centre console. Just need to buy the carbon fibre!

Have made a small change to the front, rear and steering wheel, couple of pics below. Sorry for the poor quality, my garage has terrible lighting.

Before:

After:

Also found a couple decent looking stickers that I may use for the flap below the HVAC controls. Took the pics with them on a box of meds to give an idea of size, they're not too big which is how I wanted it (subtle). If I do use one of the stickers, unsure which one for go with - I wouldn't use the 'Michael Schumacher' part of one of the stickers.

Finally, I'm having trouble reading the product characteristics of the stickers. If anyone is good with Engrish, would be interested to hear from you

Plan to grab 3M Graphite DI-NOC in the next few weeks, will post pics when I have it installed. Will be DI-NOC'ing more than just the centre consol too ;)

Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're awesome!

This might fit in somewhere in the planning.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-RS-AND-S...item4150d17224
Old 08-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

This is something I haven't seen before and I think the Ford badge looks great.

Can't wait to see what else you've got in store.

By the way, those instructions are hilarious, what exactly are we defending from in step 5?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didnt read those. Classic.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks for the link Leakey! Would they fit an LS/LT? Hopefully won't have the need for it with the parts I'll be covering, but a good find.

lol Was a good laugh last night when I had a read of the label! The stickers actually seem to be pretty good quality though (they were US$2.00 ea), and thankfully they have a film on top so they'll be easy to apply straight.

The Ford badges were from DMB Graphics in the UK, cost me around AU$28 with shipping and they arrived pretty quickly. They have a heap of colours too! http://www.dmb.uk.com/Product/Ford-Badge-GEL-Overlays/460

Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #28
casabonka
You can call me Chris

ooh nice console, whats the small circle for??
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
ooh nice console, whats the small circle for??
I'd say that's for the starter (Ford Power?) button.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, there's one of those on EBAY UK too! (or you can put a ciggy lighter.)

Notice the coin holders towards the cup holders? What do you think the thin long slot is behind them?

Yes it fits LS/LT.