Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default New wheels for my Focus

With much deliberation and annoying tyre/wheel outlets, I have finally fitted new wheels and tyres to the Focus.

For those who say there are no decent wheel options for the 5x108 fitment - you're not trying hard enough! Some very nice options available from LWT and GMAX in 17 and 18 inch with good prices. Anyone interested let me know, I'll drop the names of the wheels available + approximate prices.

Wheels fitted were CSA Motorvatr in 17 inch - a conservative choice in wheel size, but IMO a good compromise between looks, comfort and handling. Of all the wheels I looked at (and there were MANY), including ones in the US and the UK, I settled for ones made right here in Oz.

Tyres are Yokhhama A Drive R1's - was planning to put Maxxis MA-Z4'a on, but the tyre place had problems getting them - paid $20 more per tyre for the Yoko's.

Unfortunately the camera died after 2 shots so will have more to come soon.

For those looking to update to 17/18's and money isn't as much of an issue, a good option that does fit is the following: http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...=Netz+-+Silver

Anyone based in Sydney looking for new wheels, Bob Jane Blakehurst were very helpful - ask for Leigh or Alan.

And for those who notice the ugly brake calipers, they will hopefully be repainted on the weekend...just need to decide on colour. Suggestions would be welcome...thinking charcoal grey, black or red (nice contrast with grey).

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Mint. Absolutely love your car Russ. It's amazing how small adjustments can make such a big difference to the car. Now with the rims and lowering, it's definitely the best Focus sedan I've ever seen. Well done mate.

In terms of calipers, I'd probably go with the black. Only reason of that over the red is that too many people have red calipers IMO, but red would look good. Black's a lot rarer, but would look sweet to go along with the rims.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

The wheels look great on your car. I actually considered them myself, after seeing them here as an optional extra: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage

I'm unsure about the caliper colour. I'm having the same dilemma myself - i'm very reluctant to go with red, as it's a bit too common.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
BlackLS
yum

Hehe at long last Russ! I would love some aftermarket rims. The stock rims are nice but sit too far in the guard.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Orange or green. But I have bad taste.

Old 19-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, looks great. Hard to believe it's a Focus 4-door!

I'm looking for some wheels for my Mondeo (Panther black), and I think that these would look good. Also interesting to see that CSA make them with a decent offset in 5x108.
Old 19-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
819_FLY

As you mentioned above earlier with the rims and how they aren't that hard to find, I am trying to find some rims that are similar in design to the Koya Inox AC wheels, I have done some scouring on the net and found that there is a European company called River Alloys that make a similar design but frankly the cost is what is limiting me at the end of the day. Plus for every 50 rims available it seems only 1 has the right P.C.D for the Focus. Which is a bit frustrating for me at times trying to get the look I want with my car.

Still the rims look great on your car.

I might have to go with something local that I don't particularly like but will save me a bit in the hip pocket.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
The wheels look great on your car. I actually considered them myself, after seeing them here as an optional extra: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage

I'm unsure about the caliper colour. I'm having the same dilemma myself - i'm very reluctant to go with red, as it's a bit too common.
Thanks for the compliments guys, has been a long time in the making and a good feeling to have some wheels fitted that suit the Focus. Funny you mention the Ford option of these wheels - I actually picked them out a month or so ago, them remembered Ford now offered aftermarket wheels and noticed they listed the same wheel! At least I knew they would fit!

Regarding the calipers - I agree with you and RJ089 - I like the look of red, but everyone does red and I don't want to look like a Brembo wannabe! Thought a gloss black would look best, grey may just look like I have BAD brake dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Orange or green. But I have bad taste.
Interesting choice, orange would certainly stand out! Just a shame most manufacturers don't make green caliper paint
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 19-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 819_FLY
As you mentioned above earlier with the rims and how they aren't that hard to find, I am trying to find some rims that are similar in design to the Koya Inox AC wheels, I have done some scouring on the net and found that there is a European company called River Alloys that make a similar design but frankly the cost is what is limiting me at the end of the day. Plus for every 50 rims available it seems only 1 has the right P.C.D for the Focus. Which is a bit frustrating for me at times trying to get the look I want with my car.

Still the rims look great on your car.

I might have to go with something local that I don't particularly like but will save me a bit in the hip pocket.
Don't give up just yet! There are plenty of nice wheels out there, just takes some homework that's all - if you want to stay with a local manufacturer, speak to Michael at LWT wheels (03) 9687 9266 - I spoke to him recently about wheels that fit the 5x108 fitment, and he was VERY helpful. They have several wheels that fit the Focus...also, they are considering producing the Zeus wheels without the black finish if that is a design you'd consider...

Old 19-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
BlackLS
yum

Russ, what's the offset on your newly purchased. How wide are the rims and what tyres did you put on it.

Old 19-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Russ, what's the offset on your newly purchased. How wide are the rims and what tyres did you put on it.
Offset = 48
Rims = 17 x 7
Tyres = 215/45/17 Yokohama A Drive R1's (at a VERY good price)

Old 23-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Conquest_Tsi

Looks great Russ, suits the car very well.

Keep away from gutters
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Nice choice man, now u need some 'xr5/zetec' headlights or the euro 'angel eyes' headlights to go with the gloss black on the wheels...
Old 24-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks Steve - I was paranoid around gutters with the stock 16's, so you can imagine what I'm like with the 17's!!

sumpPUMP - I have kept a look out for those, just trying to find some that aren't too pricey.

Old 13-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thought I would throw a few updated pics after my camera died taking the couple above. New Ford Forums sticker also attached, although a little hard to see with all the reflection...

Old 14-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Thought I would throw a few updated pics after my camera died taking the couple above. New Ford Forums sticker also attached, although a little hard to see with all the reflection...
Hey Russ, did you end up painting your calipers?

I have a Titanium CL that I am starting to fiddle with so am interested in what you do/have done to your car.

Just bought some Zetec 17's that I am thinking of painting gloss black and I was considering doing the calipers 'Ford' blue, or something close, because the Ford badges is the only colour on the car (other than the indicators, chrome surround on the grille, and black)

Wadda ya think? :

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

This is the sweetest Focus sedan I've ever seen.

Old 15-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Hey Russ, did you end up painting your calipers?

I have a Titanium CL that I am starting to fiddle with so am interested in what you do/have done to your car.

Just bought some Zetec 17's that I am thinking of painting gloss black and I was considering doing the calipers 'Ford' blue, or something close, because the Ford badges is the only colour on the car (other than the indicators, chrome surround on the grille, and black)

Wadda ya think? :

Fredo
Hey Fredo, unfortunately haven't had the time + $$$ to paint the caliper's - have a wedding to pay for atm. Will definitely still be painting in gloss black.
I have a little black caliper paint at home to use as undercoat, just need to find some hard wearing ultra glossy black and clear coat.

In terms of what you plan for your Focus - Ford Blue would look good, or maybe even a navy blue so brake dust doesn't stand out so much?? Looking forward to seeing the Zetec alloys once they're on too.

Great to see another Titanium Grey Focus here that is being played with!

Old 15-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
This is the sweetest Focus sedan I've ever seen.
Thanks Chris, yours is also coming rather nicely! Can't say I'm disappointed I bought a sedan though ;)

Old 15-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Hey Fredo, unfortunately haven't had the time + $$$ to paint the caliper's - have a wedding to pay for atm. Will definitely still be painting in gloss black.
I have a little black caliper paint at home to use as undercoat, just need to find some hard wearing ultra glossy black and clear coat.

In terms of what you plan for your Focus - Ford Blue would look good, or maybe even a navy blue so brake dust doesn't stand out so much?? Looking forward to seeing the Zetec alloys once they're on too.

Great to see another Titanium Grey Focus here that is being played with!
Cheers Mate.
You are right, there does seem to be a deficiency of Tit Grey cars here.

Fredo

:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
Old 15-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #21
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

i was gettin a tit' grey sedan but ended up with black sedan with leather, so cant compliain except it needing a wash every 2nd day!
Old 16-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
i was gettin a tit' grey sedan but ended up with black sedan with leather, so cant compliain except it needing a wash every 2nd day!

Hey Sumpy and Russ,
I have been planning on painting the Zetec wheels I bought, gloss black and getting rid of anything chrome which should look okay I think.

But, I have seen a Golf in 'tit' grey with white GT stripes down the side and white wheels . . . . looked okay.
How do you reckon the Focus would look in this?

Fredo

Old 16-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Those rim's suit the dark grey and look great, any shadow chrome style rim would also look fantastic on the dark grey.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Hey Sumpy and Russ,
I have been planning on painting the Zetec wheels I bought, gloss black and getting rid of anything chrome which should look okay I think.

But, I have seen a Golf in 'tit' grey with white GT stripes down the side and white wheels . . . . looked okay.
How do you reckon the Focus would look in this?

Fredo
Guess it all really depends on the look you're going for...if you're trying to tone down the chrome, I assume you want a more subtle look? Although white stripes + alloys would tell me otherwise! Just make it your own I say!! Gloss black wheels (with machined lip) and a subtle carbon fibre-look stripe would look the goods.

FYI - although the gloss black highlights on my alloys do a good job at hiding brake dust, you still definitely know when they're dirty. You will still most likely be cleaning them as often as you are now (the dust just won't stand out quite so much).

Old 16-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Guess it all really depends on the look you're going for...if you're trying to tone down the chrome, I assume you want a more subtle look? Although white stripes + alloys would tell me otherwise! Just make it your own I say!! Gloss black wheels (with machined lip) and a subtle carbon fibre-look stripe would look the goods.

FYI - although the gloss black highlights on my alloys do a good job at hiding brake dust, you still definitely know when they're dirty. You will still most likely be cleaning them as often as you are now (the dust just won't stand out quite so much).
Yeah I never thought of it like that , it would hide the brake dust, even more of a reason to choose this style.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #26
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

hmm i personaly respect the subtle look, with the shades of greys, 'shadow' chrome, carbon' grey rather than making everythin contrast. but still its always up to you. if you like it, go for it.
Old 19-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #27
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
hmm i personaly respect the subtle look, with the shades of greys, 'shadow' chrome, carbon' grey rather than making everythin contrast. but still its always up to you. if you like it, go for it.

Thanks Guys,
I think you're right, the shade of grey will look much better.
Appreciate the input.
Fredo

Old 19-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
alky89

Quote:
Thanks Steve - I was paranoid around gutters with the stock 16's, so you can imagine what I'm like with the 17's!!
when you get new tyres look for some with a rim protector. you can reverse into a gutter at 20km/h and get away unscathed. (but try not to "test them out")
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #29
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky89
when you get new tyres look for some with a rim protector. you can reverse into a gutter at 20km/h and get away unscathed. (but try not to "test them out")
Thanks for the tip, but my Yokohama's already have a pretty decent rim protector already. Still extra careful around gutters though! No plans to test the rim protector out!

Old 17-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Bringing up an old thread from the dead, but I have my old rims for sale here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11288516

I'm open to offers. PM if you require more info.