Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Gedc
Starter Motor

Default 2001 Fairmont AuII Limp home Mode

Hi folks..

Car is a 2001 Fairmong and has done 200k. I purchased at 159K. She's started to go into limp mode - 3rd gear about once a week. Always seems to be just after I've pulled up at a junction, completely stopped and then start to pull away - limp mode. If I pull in, kill the ignition and restart all is well again. Any clues or where to start please?

I've read that a failing battery may cause this and the battery is getting on and could be replaced. Much as it starts first time, it's lost that punch it used to have at kickover. Iv'e also read trans flush may help - last one was done by dealer at 159K prior to me purchasing.

Any way to tell what's causing the limp mode. It seems fairly random.

Thanks for any tips

Ged

Gedc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: 2001 Fairmont AuII Limp home Mode

Hi Gedc, go get a ecu scan from your local trusted mechanic now, it could be anything but it may be serious also (transmission or cooling system).

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
trublu1
Starter Motor

Hi,i checked months ago on this forum about what to do with this exact same problem with my Au1 Fairmont. The answers i found varied from crook internal solenoids, dirty Trans oil and batteries on the way out. I checked electrical connections i even changed the oil,with no luck.Then while this was going on a friend of mine purchased me a new h/d battery as a replacement for a battery i lent him ages ago but which buggered up so the next day i put the new battery in and guess what? limp mode disappeared! Even though it was starting my car alright i took it into the Raa and they said that the battery wasnt that crash hot. But in your case what i would do is borrow a battery that you know is good and strong and try it.
trublu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Gedc
Starter Motor

Had the car checked today. The only error code in the ECU was for a knock sensor. They also thought it was missing on one cylinder during running so have changed the spark plugs and HT leads. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

They couldn't get it to do the limp mode so could be an ongoing fault. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the tips on the battery. I've read that elsewhere as well

Ged
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

My TE would do something similar, only a couple of times, and it happened to be in extreme heat.

Get the trans services which is usually about $150, but I would get an external cooler put on. Done it to my last two AU's and no drama's afterwards.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Gedc
Starter Motor

Final update I hope. Took into ford dealer. They apparently put 7 litres of trans fluid TQ95 into the car - which sounds so much I am fearful it had none in it. Then they ran some diagnostics which gave them a P0753 error - Shift solenoid problem. So they replaced that, checked all wiring harnesses and ran some continuity testing and topped up coolant. All in $1007 Kiwi...Ouch..Over $600 labour for 5 hours work. Also said transmission output shaft is starting to leak so needs done at next service..So here's some questions for the masses. 1) Given its a sealed autobox and was last flushed approx 50K ago, where has all the trans fluid gone to? 2) What did ford do differently to pop up that error code when my normal garage couldn't find anything other than a knock sensor error ? Thanks again. Will let you know if the problem returns.
Old 16-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

!) Its leaking where the tailshaft enters the gearbox, get under the car & look for any evidence of oil getting slung about around where the tailshaft enters the transmission. Strange they didnt fix it for you.

2) Cant say why your mechanic couldn't pick up the fault but Fords diagnostic machines are designed for Ford made vehicles & are far superior than any scanners out there in the market.

Hopefully your au will now give you trouble free motoring, yes it was a bit steep cost wise but at least the work done by Ford is backed by a warranty & your au should be fine now (fingers crossed lol).

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedc View Post
Final update I hope. Took into ford dealer. They apparently put 7 litres of trans fluid TQ95 into the car - which sounds so much I am fearful it had none in it. Then they ran some diagnostics which gave them a P0753 error - Shift solenoid problem. So they replaced that, checked all wiring harnesses and ran some continuity testing and topped up coolant. All in $1007 Kiwi...Ouch..Over $600 labour for 5 hours work. Also said transmission output shaft is starting to leak so needs done at next service..So here's some questions for the masses. 1) Given its a sealed autobox and was last flushed approx 50K ago, where has all the trans fluid gone to? 2) What did ford do differently to pop up that error code when my normal garage couldn't find anything other than a knock sensor error ? Thanks again. Will let you know if the problem returns.
Hi,
The 7 litres they supplied would have been to flush the trans I would say, I dont think you could drive the car at all if you lost 7 litres, I think it holds 8 litres all up including the torque converter.
You would have to ask them to be sure though.
Cheers.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post