Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #1561
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The bubble has made selling agents arrogant...

I recently showed strong interest in 2 properties.

The first was due to go to auction. I put an offer in writing after the first open house. The offer also had very very generous settlement provisions in favour of the vendors worth perhaps several thousand dollars to them.

Never heard anything back other that a thanks for the offer.

It was sold 3 weeks later and prior to auction for $15k above my offer. What a joke...

I was tempted to slip a letter into their mailbox showing my offer and the fact had I been contacted for negotiation I would have gone well above and beyond their eventual selling price.

Another property was investigated, several phone calls, emails, reports requested, final list of questions by email that were to be replied prior to my offer and nothing.

Now listed as under offer. Must be great to be an agent now treating buyers with such scorn..

Sitting back now. Will see how things pan out post Pandemic. Perhaps once borders open and 'cashed up' buyers realise they can blow their money in Bali or on a cruise then it will take some heat out of the market and provide buyers more options.
1. If you put the offer down in writing, doesn't the agent have to legally show it to the seller and give a formal reply?

2. Arrogant, yep. Ungrateful, yep. Our good neighbours opposite us passed away recently. It became a deceased estate and the children of the owners decided it was easier to sell. Dad gets on pretty well with them, so they asked my dad if he could recommend anyone that would be keen to buy. They didn't want to go through auction. Dad put them onto an agent that he met whilst nosing at other auctions. The house sold in a couple of weeks privately. You reckon Dad got a thank you from the agent? NUP....not a peep! One of the agent's colleague came around a few weeks later to gloat about how well they had done out of that deal. Dad let his colleague know in no uncertain terms what he thought. 2 days later, he gets a gift in the letter box, 2 kit kats, nicely wrapped.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #1562
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
The bubble has made selling agents arrogant...

I recently showed strong interest in 2 properties.

The first was due to go to auction. I put an offer in writing after the first open house. The offer also had very very generous settlement provisions in favour of the vendors worth perhaps several thousand dollars to them.

Never heard anything back other that a thanks for the offer.

It was sold 3 weeks later and prior to auction for $15k above my offer. What a joke...

I was tempted to slip a letter into their mailbox showing my offer and the fact had I been contacted for negotiation I would have gone well above and beyond their eventual selling price.

Another property was investigated, several phone calls, emails, reports requested, final list of questions by email that were to be replied prior to my offer and nothing.

Now listed as under offer. Must be great to be an agent now treating buyers with such scorn..

Sitting back now. Will see how things pan out post Pandemic. Perhaps once borders open and 'cashed up' buyers realise they can blow their money in Bali or on a cruise then it will take some heat out of the market and provide buyers more options.

You seem to me to be a nice, decent , honest person, this is from reading your posts on all threads not just this one.

Like me you like to think other folk are like you, that's natural when you have a conscience, I know without knowing you that you would see a person drop a wallet or purse or cash and stop them to give it back!

Am I correct?

This recent incident you experienced is yet another side of human nature, good versus evil, care or don't care, sadly you will never beat these folk at their own game, the fact you offered X amount of dollars then expected to negotiate was nieve on your part, that was the seller or reactors intention.

When it sold for $15k more than you wanted to pay but say you would of paid that for said property would not of happened?....your offer was used to show another buyer that they had to aim higher, or beat your offer, and other offers too, the house was most likely sold before it was advertised for sale!

It was just the price they needed to charge the new buyer, you and other honest and decent folk determined that price, you were never a contender, not for a millisecond, you and the others were used, it happens and will continue to happen..you have my sympathy.....

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #1563
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
We will never know... had he called me to negotiate like he should I may have had some idea.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Perhaps they offered the same or more and the elderly people were happy to move on.

You said in your second example that you we're waiting on answers to questions before making an offer, is it possible that things are moving so fast at the moment and at such a good markup that people just want a quick sale to whoever has the money, is willing to pay what they will accept and aren't looking for answers beforehand.

Im not saying its right, but it is a heated market, snooze you lose.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #1564
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
1. If you put the offer down in writing, doesn't the agent have to legally show it to the seller and give a formal reply?

2. Arrogant, yep. Ungrateful, yep. Our good neighbours opposite us passed away recently. It became a deceased estate and the children of the owners decided it was easier to sell. Dad gets on pretty well with them, so they asked my dad if he could recommend anyone that would be keen to buy. They didn't want to go through auction. Dad put them onto an agent that he met whilst nosing at other auctions. The house sold in a couple of weeks privately. You reckon Dad got a thank you from the agent? NUP....not a peep! One of the agent's colleague came around a few weeks later to gloat about how well they had done out of that deal. Dad let his colleague know in no uncertain terms what he thought. 2 days later, he gets a gift in the letter box, 2 kit kats, nicely wrapped.

I just answered Yellow_Festiva in the post before this one, to elaborate a little, as I tend to do, sometimes when you quote for work for the Government you have to go pick up the working or quoting drawings, then you have a date to supply your offer, it was in an office building in Sydney near Central, there was a tender box, even had a padlock Houdini couldn't open.

This is the 80's and it was a massive public utility, we were a small fabrication shop in Lansvale, Cabramatta.
We did small stuff, big companies would tender their work out to various companies, normal practice, still is, we had to be approved to be able to tender, a hard list to get on, we tendered for 3 years and overquoted, not really we were having our throats cut.

Our quotes were fair, but another company under quoted us every time.
I decided to go low ball on one job, not much, but $28k the price of material, guess what it went to the other company $500 less, of course they had an insider, guaranteed to be payed a percentage of works completed, no profit no percentage?....lol...

Got a visit one day, it was the purchasing officer for this public utility, he introduced himself, I took him to the Stardust Hotel for a long lunch, him in suit me in work overalls.
He was pretty moggoted when we left, and we got on great, he said he knew if he accepted our quote of $28k it would bust the company, he said you did a smart move there, ya got big balls, I thanked him for noticing, and he laughed, loud.

He brought a big pile of drawings from his car boot, and asked what tonne rate I used when quoting, I told him, he said spot on, I said then why no work doing these quotes for 3 years, he says to me that the company he gave the work to was his wife's families and they got divorced!...we both laughed.

He put over $100k of work on the bed of the guillotine ( yes I cracked a few bottles of DA ) and said your in Billy, it was my best mates family company, he asked if I was being looked after alright, I said "fair" he said ask em for a pay rise, he said you don't have to quote now, just do the work, deliver it, then take the invoice to the city office and draw a cheque!

That's the truth, that was 1983, my boss and best mate was killed in a car accident in 1993, his wife asked me to run the business, I said no thanks, but I will buy all the equipment?....she refused, I gave about 6 contracts back, maybe $2 mill per annum, by then we had lots of Government contracts plus ABB, but I had enough, all hard yakka, quoting, ordering, organising and some fabrication, my body was a wreck, I walked away, couldn't do it without my best mate Ed, but its the same as buying houses, there is always under the table deals, no difference in small business.

And every Christmas we never forgot to take a bottle of Black Label and a Christmas card with $500 cash, for presents for the kids, lol...to each of 6 purchasing officers.
I hate people who use others to make themselves rich, or just greedy pr.cks.
But the housing market is ripe for the picking, and I feel sorry for anyone trying to get into the market of owning a house not dealing in property like it's a share market, it not, it's a basic human right to have shelter, wether owned or rented.

Hope I haven't bored you!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-08-2021 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Add year
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #1565
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Relying on real estate agents to be honest

They are used car salesmen in more expensive suits.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #1566
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Relying on real estate agents to be honest

They are used car salesmen in more expensive suits.
Agreed though mind you those high end premium auto brands are very very good slippery snakes with the Real estate ones.
All snakes go longer with the budget levels
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #1567
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Probably, but who will enforce or prove it?

I got a reply to my email offer just saying thanks, will pass it on and be in touch.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #1568
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
You seem to me to be a nice, decent , honest person, this is from reading your posts on all threads not just this one.

Like me you like to think other folk are like you, that's natural when you have a conscience, I know without knowing you that you would see a person drop a wallet or purse or cash and stop them to give it back!

Am I correct?
Ok... hmmm recently someone handed in a wallet to my desk assuming it was dropped by a resident. Had $800 cash.

Called the cops, they called the owner and he came that evening to collect. The look of shock when he opened it turned to confusion as to why I had made a point of tracking him down to return it. He offered me a 50, I said if you want to give me something then just give me the smallest note he had so I was happy with the 20.

He did his part in rewarding me much as I did my part in returning money that wasn't mine.

As for my demeanour - I try my best not to ever make fun of or jeer others at their expense. It achieves nothing and you don't know what is going on behind the scenes. I'm far from the religious type but I believe in the do as to others as you would want them do to you mantra.

Quote:
This recent incident you experienced is yet another side of human nature, good versus evil, care or don't care, sadly you will never beat these folk at their own game, the fact you offered X amount of dollars then expected to negotiate was nieve on your part, that was the seller or reactors intention.
Don't think it naïve to assume a person do their job. Really don't care, just not happy with buck passing. It's the easy way out when the reality is that I did my part as an interested buyer and the rest was up to the seller.

Had the market been the other way the agent would have been out of a job.

Quote:
When it sold for $15k more than you wanted to pay but say you would of paid that for said property would not of happened?....your offer was used to show another buyer that they had to aim higher, or beat your offer, and other offers too, the house was most likely sold before it was advertised for sale!
Yeah, not fussed. Really it's old news. Good luck to the buyer and the seller. Just gave my story as a means to continue the thread. Wasn't really expecting it to be psychoanalysed and victim blamed for other people's incompetence.

Quote:
It was just the price they needed to charge the new buyer, you and other honest and decent folk determined that price, you were never a contender, not for a millisecond, you and the others were used, it happens and will continue to happen..you have my sympathy.....

Cheers Billy
Yes, absolutely it was probably used to push up the next offer. Do I really care? No. You should feel sorry for the vendor that got duded out of the best price for their apparent golden years, and more so for the sales agent that perhaps stood to misadvise the reality of the market and may have possibly duded the people he was meant to represent for his own back pocket.

Compared to most I'm one of the luckiest bastards around - and I can say that with confidence because I've also been at the total opposite end of the spectrum and got through.

3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #1569
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Perhaps they offered the same or more and the elderly people were happy to move on.

You said in your second example that you we're waiting on answers to questions before making an offer, is it possible that things are moving so fast at the moment and at such a good markup that people just want a quick sale to whoever has the money, is willing to pay what they will accept and aren't looking for answers beforehand.

Im not saying its right, but it is a heated market, snooze you lose.
No, second example was on the market for months and had a few price adjustments in that time.

The property had several 'issues' that needed clarification and I wasn't satisfied in providing an offer till those questions were clarified in writing.

Good luck to the person that may be happy to make an offer without doing their DD. I'm not one of them and if a selling agent refuses to reply to standard questions about a property then that is answer enough for me.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #1570
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So am about to make an offer - subject to building inspection of course.

Any other tips? I've already sold and have finance sorted, so I can offer quick settlement as not subject to sale or subject to finance. Anything else I can do to be pick of the offers should I be line-ball with other offers?

Any other tips/suggestions/advice?

Have only ever owned one home before and that one I purchased land then built a house, so buying someone else's house is all new to me
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #1571
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Any other tips? I've already sold and have finance sorted, so I can offer quick settlement as not subject to sale or subject to finance. Anything else I can do to be pick of the offers should I be line-ball with other offers?

Have only ever owned one home before and that one I purchased land then built a house, so buying someone else's house is all new to me
Don't be so vague about your offer conditions.

Subject to your satisfaction of the building inspection. If someone wants to be clever with your wording you are simply stating that you will buy after the inspection.

Subject to the finance approval from the new lender.

Sure you have finance sorted (does that mean you are fully self funded or you have approval from a lender), but what if you agree on a price well below the lenders valuation? (assuming you are borrowing against the new purchase). They may not bridge the gap and either you foot the difference or pull out.

Careful with building inspections - they are 3 pages of reports and 12 pages of legalese advising you to only use it as a rough indication and to get individual expert inspections for all the specific aspects of the property.

Good luck

5 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #1572
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Not everyone is going to agree with what I'm about to say, some people enjoy the art of bartering, which is fine. But IMHO, if you really really really want something, make your best offer the first offer. That is what I did when I got my apartment, and have never looked back. After settlement the agent told me people were low balling, until mine came along, they had an offer for $5k under what I offered......the seller wanted just that little bit more. Not long after, same configurations on lower floors started to fetch much higher. Obviously do your research on price in the area, so you are not blindly offering something ridiculously over.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #1573
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, sage advice and very much appreciated
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #1574
4stanger