Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #451
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That's a huge benefit that most people don't get though. 45 minutes each way would probably be a tank a week so maybe $80/week and then parking costs to park at work for the day, rego $900/year, insurance let's say $800, I won't including servicing. That's at least $6000/year you're saving that the average person isn't, not including parking costs as it's such a variable.

For every person that I ask how they managed to get into the housing market, there always seems to be one big factor or lucky break in their lifestyle. Like they got to live rent-free at home while they saved a deposit, or they got an inheritance, or they have a company car which frees up their own money.

I'm not disputing that you had to have worked hard to get your house but if you had that company car back when you first got your house... that's a massive advantage that the average person doesn't get.
You do realize a company car is part of your "package".
It used to be worth the equivalent of 15-18k per year.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #452
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Leesa, which part of 17.5% versus 4% interest is it that you don’t understand?
This seems like a really common comment. Have you looked at the repayments for a house price back in those days with 17% interest along with the average income, and compared it to a house price today with 4% at today's income?
The numbers quite clearly show that the ratio is far far higher than it used to be. Why are you getting hung up on the interest rate, thinking that made it so much worse?

I don't have it all that bad, I earn a decent wage and don't have a bad life. The younger generation do have it bad and they ARE victims. Seeing as you want to use that word, I will absolutely call them victims of previous generations who inflated the property market for their own personal gain. They're going to be living at home far longer than I ever was.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #453
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Average 'Median' house price in Melbourne these days is 'AT LEAST' 600-700K...if not closer to 1 MILL!!!!

Thats not far off 3/4 of a 1 Million Dollars for your very first house???

Its just not possible........At least without a 30 years mortagage instead of the old 25 year???

And we all have to work until we're 70 now not 65 like all you older retiree's???

Last edited by GASWAGON; 01-06-2018 at 10:45 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #454
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
You're brave. far braver than I. I wouldn't risk that size of a mortgage.
Yes it was a massive undertaking. But looking back it was the dumbest decision I had made in my life at the time, but these days when I talk to the young blokes at work and when I think to myself they're never going to get into the market anywhere closer then the blue mountains, maybe it was in hindsight one of the smarter things I have done. Unlike cars, property appreciates. Yes the market goes up and down but it doesn't dive so it always in the long run goes up. So like my situation at the time it was a massive financial killer however wages also go up. All I'm getting at is if you for example pay x amount at the time and it's a killer at the time, that initial x amount doesn't change like the market does. The value of the property will increase to a degree but what you paid for it will not. Then there is the mortgage cycle. Pay part of your property off and sell it for more then what you bought it for, that just means you can buy the equivalent property a suburb over or whatever. Use the value of your property and jump back into another mortgage to the value or whatever you had paid off with income increases then you can then buy either a better place in your current area or something of more cost somewhere else then still be tied down to the bank. There is a lot to it. My old man worked in the mortgage industry before he retired and I didn't understand most of what he said but what I did understand is buying a house to live in there is no profit. Investment properties where someone else pays the mortgage for you then that is profit. These days for a blue collar worker like myself simply buying an investment property is not something i can ever see doing
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #455
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Judging by your post history you've got to be around 50 years old, hardly a comparable experience to what later generations are going through in the current housing market given the income/house ratio is far worse than it was.
How can you even comment knowing that 'your time' was prior to when the housing market inflated?
I've known PB long enough to know that he spent a lot of time living on mine sites, working in shipyards and in the hard yakka side of the wine industry.

He now has a 'few' cars and a house, like he said, he didn't blow it on shiny stuff.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #456
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:

You’ve fallen in love with your problem. Stop being a victim.
But it's not just about the interest rates - it's about saving the deposit. People used to be able to rent (at a higher rate than a mortgage repayment too if my mums memory serves her correctly), and still be able to to save a deposit.

I'm an engineer, I was fortunate enough to graduate before a lot of companies stopped hiring grads. It's still hard even though I have a well paying job, and denying that it's not more difficult than it was to save a deposit in prior decades is just plain ignorance. When places like Kilmore and Wallan are fast becoming non-options for average single incomers, you know it's bad. I mean, a one bedroom apt in Bundoora is over 450k - that's beyond a joke.

Wage inflation hasn't risen at the same rate as housing inflation. I mean hell - housing has doubled in price in Melbourne and Sydney (at least) in the last 10 years, if not less. Wages haven't doubled to keep up with that demand.

There's a lot of factors at play here - investors, foreign buyers, population growth, less secure jobs, low wage inflation when compared to housing, actual median wage being 55k per year (where average is about 78k per year, but only 25% of the pop earn that or more, but this is the figure that's touted like it's gold), two incomes in families instead of the "traditional" one (so they have more money to win that house they want), etc etc etc.

Literally no person in their 30's or lower is saying it wasn't hard for people in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but there's a problem with housing. And it's ignorant to say there isn't.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #457
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
I thought the same when I borrowed $40K at 17.5%

If you want to own / buy your own home, you will find a way...

Do you want to own / buy your own home?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #458
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
That's a huge benefit that most people don't get though. 45 minutes each way would probably be a tank a week so maybe $80/week and then parking costs to park at work for the day, rego $900/year, insurance let's say $800, I won't including servicing. That's at least $6000/year you're saving that the average person isn't, not including parking costs as it's such a variable.

For every person that I ask how they managed to get into the housing market, there always seems to be one big factor or lucky break in their lifestyle. Like they got to live rent-free at home while they saved a deposit, or they got an inheritance, or they have a company car which frees up their own money.

I'm not disputing that you had to have worked hard to get your house but if you had that company car back when you first got your house... that's a massive advantage that the average person doesn't get.
This also resonates with me, as I was lucky enough to have a company car from a young age. However, the company car came after my decision to buy a property, so it was a bonus...
Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #459
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I've known PB long enough to know that he spent a lot of time living on mine sites, working in shipyards and in the hard yakka side of the wine industry.

He now has a 'few' cars and a house, like he said, he didn't blow it on shiny stuff.
Yeah, in Adelaides northern suburbs like my good self, not that theres anything wrong with that, where mcmansions can be had for bottle tops..

For someone working in Sydney to recieve the same benefit of cheap housing they'd need to commute from Wagga daily.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #460
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
The niece and boyfriend now hubby have been together for 8yrs, their choice I guess before marriage, were living at home prior, then were out renting for a few years both times saving - they still had their entertainment times but thats all varying how some take entertaining/going out.
You didnt mention kids, they got kids mate?
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #461
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Yeah, in Adelaides northern suburbs like my good self, not that theres anything wrong with that, where mcmansions can be had for bottle tops..

For someone working in Sydney to recieve the same benefit of cheap housing they'd need to commute from Wagga daily.
im loaded

i live in the rich part
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #462
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
im loaded

i live in the rich part
Burton?

Or the parks they chopped up on Diment..
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #463
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Burton?
correct

rich part of paralowie
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #464
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I bought in Footscray in 1985 on one wage. I was a clerk. I grew up in Balwyn but I really wanted to own my own home. So I went where I had to.
While I can see your point about buying in a less attractive suburb to get your foot in the door of the property market, you've conveniently ignored the obvious.... the median house price in Melbourne in 1985 was $75k, its now $900k. It was 3.6x average income, its now 11x average income.

Yes, you can buy a property for $300k in Melbourne (3.6x today's average income), but while it might have been a 3br house back then, its a 1br unit now. Apples and not even oranges. Are you seriously suggesting your 'struggle' is even remotely comparable to someone having to look as far afield as Warragul for a 3-bedder?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #465
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which part of high rates came down (and fairly quickly) don't you understand? Which part of struggling to afford at RECORD LOW interest rates = recipe for disaster when they go up, don't you understand? Which part of houses being multiples more as a proportion of income requiring a far greater deposit don't you understand?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #466
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Which part of high rates came down (and fairly quickly) don't you understand? Which part of struggling to afford at RECORD LOW interest rates = recipe for disaster when they go up, don't you understand? Which part of houses being multiples more as a proportion of income requiring a far greater deposit don't you understand?
The common sense part...clearly
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #467
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
There IS another answer!!
Sell everything you own, Up tents and away camels...
and move 14,225 kms to the land of ”Pura Vida” where everyday is paradise!
(And heaps “braver” than taking on a simple bloody mortgage!)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #468
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think that Leesa you should lay it all out to get into the market-if in Sydney out far to get your toe in the door- eat baked beans for a while.

But saying that I really do feel for younger people now-it is hard.

And the Government has/is blowing the Australian bankcard to keep standards of living up so they can keep in power- and the next generations will pay the interest tab by having lower living standards.

Something is wrong with politics and the quick 3 year quickfire policies-but I digress- I feel for younger people now who are not into housing.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #469
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Decades of disgraceful snouts in trough governance, OH&S policies destroying small business, big brother ruling, and knowing every detail of our existence, along with today’s ridiculous Political Correctness were some of the motives behind me deciding “enoughs enough” and doing something about it!
A bit like ripping a bandaid off.. It stings for a while, but heals quick with fresh air!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 02:56 AM   #470
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not bravery, it's doing what is required.

I had nights, many of them, scratching my head wondering how I was going to put fuel in the car in the morning to get to work. Wondering how I was going to put dinner on the table.

I went 6 years without a holiday and used the holiday pay to clear bills while I kept working.

It ain't easy, then all of a sudden it gets easier.

If you don't get brave and do something about it you will go nowhere.

It's not about investment properties, I know a lot of people who have been burnt doing that. A few get lucky.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #471
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it makes me laugh when people start talking about house prices.its about sacrifices ,i had a plan to be semi retired by 50(working when i want ,not have to)that meant no sunday brunches,annual pilgrimige to bali etc or the latest phone etc.those hard years are paying off now ,45yo own my own home(est 1.3m)plus all my toys (cars,bikes,boats)its not bragging its what you have to do
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #472
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
You didnt mention kids, they got kids mate?
Sorry mate, NO kids to date.
but they did have a active social life prior to knuckling down so that expense was like having kids in a way.
Having had 3 kids, at the young stage they don't cost you alot, whereas getting out socialising costs more thats for sure.
Mate, they just saved and made of life what it is, stop looking for holes or outlets on outcomes.

leesa, yes some of us are mature
I'm in 50's as well, like I said mortgaging even back then seemed like millions to all of us.
I couldn't afford to buy in my local area or 5k radius, prior to the inner city boom, and still those semis etc were dumps, you shouldn't have paid even half what they asked even back then but I still had to pay more than I would have wanted, had planes flying over us, I grew up on a 1/4 acre now I was in crim city with a backyard the size of bathroom, on street parking, druggy house on the corner for eg...my wife and I saved for our deposit, come the crunch the last hurdle to get to the finish line we lived with my parents for 1yr to save paying rent, it was suck it up and do your best.
I/we had no toys like you have whilst paying rent. You can't have it all, you have no chance in your current situation.
I had a mate get his girl friend pregnant @ 18yrs, he stood by her married her, couldn't afford in Sydney at all even way back then, had to buy up the central coast !
There are more similar stories, nothing is bloody easy otherwise we'd all be loling.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #473
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went back to where I grew up (I’m 41) 5 months ago - 350 size blocks $700000, dog box units starting at $990000. That was a working class suburb. Sorry but I just hope that prices go as stupid as they’ve gone in reverse over the next few years for the younger generation - I hope the market absolutely does in the rear. I couldn’t believe the prices. To the younger generation, if you can do it I’d say put on your adventure hat and get the hell outa Sydney/Melbourne etc where prices have gone stupid. Australia’s a big place and there are some awesome areas to live where you can start off.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #474
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa
This seems like a really common comment. Have you looked at the repayments for a house price back in those days with 17% interest along with the average income, and compared it to a house price today with 4% at today's income?
The numbers quite clearly show that the ratio is far far higher than it used to be. Why are you getting hung up on the interest rate, thinking that made it so much worse?

I don't have it all that bad, I earn a decent wage and don't have a bad life. The younger generation do have it bad and they ARE victims. Seeing as you want to use that word, I will absolutely call them victims of previous generations who inflated the property market for their own personal gain. They're going to be living at home far longer than I ever was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte
But it's not just about the interest rates - it's about saving the deposit. People used to be able to rent (at a higher rate than a mortgage repayment too if my mums memory serves her correctly), and still be able to to save a deposit.

I'm an engineer, I was fortunate enough to graduate before a lot of companies stopped hiring grads. It's still hard even though I have a well paying job, and denying that it's not more difficult than it was to save a deposit in prior decades is just plain ignorance. When places like Kilmore and Wallan are fast becoming non-options for average single incomers, you know it's bad. I mean, a one bedroom apt in Bundoora is over 450k - that's beyond a joke.

Wage inflation hasn't risen at the same rate as housing inflation. I mean hell - housing has doubled in price in Melbourne and Sydney (at least) in the last 10 years, if not less. Wages haven't doubled to keep up with that demand.

There's a lot of factors at play here - investors, foreign buyers, population growth, less secure jobs, low wage inflation when compared to housing, actual median wage being 55k per year (where average is about 78k per year, but only 25% of the pop earn that or more, but this is the figure that's touted like it's gold), two incomes in families instead of the "traditional" one (so they have more money to win that house they want), etc etc etc.

Literally no person in their 30's or lower is saying it wasn't hard for people in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but there's a problem with housing. And it's ignorant to say there isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
While I can see your point about buying in a less attractive suburb to get your foot in the door of the property market, you've conveniently ignored the obvious.... the median house price in Melbourne in 1985 was $75k, its now $900k. It was 3.6x average income, its now 11x average income.

Yes, you can buy a property for $300k in Melbourne (3.6x today's average income), but while it might have been a 3br house back then, its a 1br unit now. Apples and not even oranges. Are you seriously suggesting your 'struggle' is even remotely comparable to someone having to look as far afield as Warragul for a 3-bedder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Well there's you lot, who can't seem to do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet
It's not bravery, it's doing what is required.

I had nights, many of them, scratching my head wondering how I was going to put fuel in the car in the morning to get to work. Wondering how I was going to put dinner on the table.

I went 6 years without a holiday and used the holiday pay to clear bills while I kept working.

It ain't easy, then all of a sudden it gets easier.

If you don't get brave and do something about it you will go nowhere.

It's not about investment properties, I know a lot of people who have been burnt doing that. A few get lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
it makes me laugh when people start talking about house prices.its about sacrifices ,i had a plan to be semi retired by 50(working when i want ,not have to)that meant no sunday brunches,annual pilgrimige to bali etc or the latest phone etc.those hard years are paying off now ,45yo own my own home(est 1.3m)plus all my toys (cars,bikes,boats)its not bragging its what you have to do
Quote:
but they did have a active social life prior to knuckling down so that expense was like having kids in a way.
Having had 3 kids, at the young stage they don't cost you alot, whereas getting out socialising costs more thats for sure.
Mate, they just saved and made of life what it is, stop looking for holes or outlets on outcomes.

I'm in 50's as well, like I said mortgaging even back then seemed like millions to all of us.
I couldn't afford to buy in my local area or 5k radius, prior to the inner city boom, and still those semis etc were dumps, you shouldn't have paid even half what they asked even back then but I still had to pay more than I would have wanted, had planes flying over us, I grew up on a 1/4 acre now I was in crim city with a backyard the size of bathroom, on street parking, druggy house on the corner for eg...my wife and I saved for our deposit, come the crunch the last hurdle to get to the finish line we lived with my parents for 1yr to save paying rent, it was suck it up and do your best.
I/we had no toys like you have whilst paying rent. You can't have it all, you have no chance in your current situation.
I had a mate get his girl friend pregnant @ 18yrs, he stood by her married her, couldn't afford in Sydney at all even way back then, had to buy up the central coast !
There are more similar stories, nothing is bloody easy otherwise we'd all be loling.....
Then there's the rest of us who are doing it or have done it.

I could relate on how difficult it was for me to obtain my first mortgage on one wage and how my wife and I slept on a mattress with no bed and lived out of an Eski because we couldn't afford a fridge because we placed the mortgage payments over things like that. Or how my parents had to live with my grandparents for a few years with us kids until they had a deposit. Or how my Dad worked a day job, then went out again overnight when we were all asleep and cleaned offices to save the money for the deposit.

But that's all in the past, heh? Must just be the rantings of the older generation, yeah? Because we all know it was easier back then, right?

It's easier when it's someone else's fault for your predicament isn't it..
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #475
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone has their own story. Irrespective of how hard you think you have done it, there are areas in this country that no matter how hard a young couple work and go without they’ll never ever be able to own their own house. That’s why I said if they can get out of Sydney etc then go for it. For the ones that can’t for various reasons I do feel for.
Workers conditions are going down the drain fast in this country too which make it harder. All big business want is a disposable contract work force.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #476
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Everyone has their own story. Irrespective of how hard you think you have done it, there are areas in this country that no matter how hard a young couple work and go without they’ll never ever be able to own their own house. That’s why I said if they can get out of Sydney etc then go for it. For the ones that can’t for various reasons I do feel for.
Workers conditions are going down the drain fast in this country too which make it harder. All big business want is a disposable contract work force.
I have lived in many places in Australia- Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart, Mt Arapiles outside Natimuk, Darwin, Katherine, and Newcastle.

I lived and worked in governor phillip tower at circular quay in Sydney on the 28th floor-and looking out my office window over the Sydney pollution I felt like a trapped polar bear in a zoo swinging his head going mad.

Personally my favourite places have been Hobart, Katherine and Newcastle. People might laugh about Katherine but there was a beauty about the place and a socially rich society where people valued each other.

I agree with chrisandsharon- if you have never looked outside the big 2 cities you might find a much richer lifestyle elsewhere in terms of things that matter other than empty equity materialism.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #477
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What makes you think I haven't got a house? It amazes me the self-satisfied smugness and condescension these threads bring out.

I have a house, it will be paid off next year. Unlike you however, I also have empathy. And apparently, a decent grasp of some pretty basic maths.

By my estimates, having entered the property market in 2004, I am around $300,00 worse off than if I had bought in 2000, simply due to the extra capital growth and interest I have to pay to the bank. Add another $400-500,000 if I was buying now. How many years does it take to save that much? How many EXTRA years of work does it take to pay a bank to do the same thing you did 30-40 years ago?

Wages were going up, rates were coming down. You had the capacity to plough extra money into the mortgage. We've had no meaningful wage growth for years in Australia, we're at record low rates right now. Where will this extra money come from? How many decades do our kids need to skrimp, save and sacrifice just to buy a dog box nowadays?

What's right about people having to work for 10-20 years longer to buy the same thing their parents bought at the same stage in life?
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #478
leesa

Quote:

Then there's the rest of us who are doing it or have done it.
Yeah and they're all old enough to have missed the market inflation, they all bought when the house/income ratio was still reasonable. The market went bad AFTER you bought. If you thought it was bad when you bought... it's now even worse and out of reach for a great many people. Can you understand that??

You're just being wilfully ignorant.

Last edited by leesa; 02-06-2018 at 11:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #479
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
What's right about people having to work for 10-20 years longer to buy the same thing their parents bought at the same stage in life?
In essence I agree with you - the young entering the markets -especially in the big 2 cities- will do it very tough.

But using your definition- What's right about people nowadays living to average age of some 85 odd whereas back in 1950 it was some 67 odd.

Life and things change- fair or not. Why can a healthy human now live to 90 but 200 years ago they could only live to 50 odd- that's not fair.

As humans we have adaptability - and it needs to be used.

So the young have a tough lot to enter the market. Agreed.

But they need to be adaptable and think outside the square.

Life has never been easy on many levels- wealth acquisition, property acquisition, health, wars- and it never will be- the only constant will be the challenges will always be there and never be the same.

So what should the young do- rise to the challenge and be adaptable or simply roll over belly up and give up?

3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #480
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Lol, did you say that with a straight face, the truth is the current housing situation is in many circumstances forcing people to make decisions between having kids or a house of their own and that is a tragic situation.
It might not suit you're narrative, and people will refrain from exposing it as its a terrible thought, but it is reality unfortunately.
I took on a mortgage on 1 labourers wage of $450pw with 2 kids when i was 25, 17 years ago when housing was affordable, there is no way, i repeat no way a 25yr old on comparable money with 3 dependants could do that in todays climate.

Quote:
Seemed like...thats what you dont get im afraid, it is a reality for the current generation.
Theres not too many houses within 2hrs of Sydney that wont have cost you $1-2m by the time you've paid 30yrs of interest and if you've worked your guts out for the first 10 years post schooling, gone without to save the required deposit, missed the joy of having kids that will produce grandkids whilst your still young enough to enjoy them and at age 60 have finally paid down that debt, you havent lived, you've simply existed to service that debt and missed out on many of lifes joys along the way which for those who make that decision may never realise and be ignorant to the fact.

Last edited by BENT_8; 02-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.
2 users like this post: