Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #121
KobiXR6T
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 308
Default Re: Century Batteries

I'm onto my 3rd century in the BF XR6T. I've had to replace them around every 2-3 years. The last one which was HD with 36month warranty crapped it in 2 years. Just gave up one day and wouldn't throw the bendix out on the starter motor. Took the battery to place of purchase, tested as dead and replaced under warranty.

At about 24months in now, and again car will sometimes struggle to turn over. Sometimes it starts, but certainly isn't cranking as quickly as expected. Been through the charging system and earth/grounds. Everything else checks out but the batteries just don't hold up.
KobiXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #122
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sydney, more than not. I hate it.
Posts: 14,872
Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Century Batteries

I like finding the instances where engineers and designers one-up the financial team.

Examples that come to mind, a tactile coating applied to the never-exposed surfaces of some Alfa ashtrays. Falcon bonnet struts, left and right distinguished by part numbers. Fiat body modules where multiple iterations physically existed with the same componentry and different flashes; rather than using simple logic conditions that did or didnít send signals based on the KO startup circuitry tests and having one set of code for allÖ A special mention also to the nameless person in CBS, who in 1966 put an extra zero on a purchase order and they had four yearsí supply of one electronic component.
CitroŽnbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #123
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
whynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 833
Default Re: Century Batteries

I don't think it is a problem with the battery, but with the continual trickle charging. It might be worth checking out the set point voltage at the "charge complete" mode on the charger.

Below is a link to an article by NECA on the dangers on using a battery designed for automotive cyclic use in a standby application. Note that having a battery under constant trickle charging is the same as having the battery in "standby application".

https://www.neca.asn.au/necagroup/co...ery-explosions

Specs for the nominated battery charger are here.

https://www.ctek.com/au/battery-char...24v/xs-0-8-aus

This link is to the recommended charging voltages by Century.

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...y-charging.pdf

The information you are after is the table at the bottom titled "Maximum Charging Voltage by Battery Type".

Important note: There are two applications; absorption charging and float charging.If the battery is under constant trickle charging - select the float charging values.

My read of the manufacture's instructions is that the suggested float charging voltage is 13.2V to 13.5V.

The charger's manual suggests that it is holding the battery at 13.6V (or thereabouts) at the conclusion of its charge. This appears to be above the battery's recommended float voltage charge.

Also note that there is nothing "wrong" with the battery charger. An output of 14.4V when charging is smack in the middle of the recommended range of an absorption charge.

Here is a link to another article that might be of interest on charging voltages for batteries that are effectively in storage.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...w_it_works.pdf

I think it is easy to get drawn into the argument that the battery should be stored at 100% capacity. In reality, all you want is enough juice to turn over the engine so that the car starts. At healthy battery at 90% capacity will start all but the most recalcitrant engine.

Some possible options include;

1. Applying the existing battery charger, say, one day per month.
2. If the charging voltage is outside the "float charge" range, dropping the charging voltage down.

Just some things to check out ...
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #124
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
arm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hervey Bay
Posts: 3,145
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'll put in my two cents in on KPI's as a former manager of a sales team.
I know I've written some big posts... But jebus, talk about epic. I've never read war and peace but I believe now I know how it feels to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They can't even measure how many rings before someone answers the phone, all they can measure how long the phone call was and the phone number who called, not how long it took you to answer when it starts ringing though.
But there are companies that do and employees live and die by that info.

My sister worked for a Telstra call centre in Perth. She worked in a team that provided customer support for difficult and problematic service issues.

They had KPIs for everything. Calls per day, time on a call, resolutions per day, how many times they took a leak, quality of note taking. Originally when a call ended they would have to hit a key to take the next call and there was a KPI for how long it took before they key was pressed and next call taken. But one day they decided to make the next call pickup automatic.

Ever wondered why the Telstra person wont hang up until they complete all their notes but at the same time rush to finish the call. Its because they don't have a break after your call to complete note taking before they are forced onto the next call, but need to move onto the next call quickly to meet KPI.

She had an hour or so during the day to work on problems away from the customer. But even what she did in that time was covered by KPIs.

Its why support from organisations like that is so crap. They are in such a rush to do things because its the only way they keep their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What you talk about with the warranty KPI and creating a policy that puts road blocks in the way to processing warranty claims is absolutely spot on, it also takes away discretion from the sales staff, there's no point paying for humans when you've taken away the main benefit that humans provide - discretion and initiative.

That scenario with the battery dropping a cell intermittently, they saw there was an issue, they could push it further, they don't just say nah i can't replicate it on paper so no dice.
I do realised they could have pushed it further. I could have as well. But you get sick and tired of pushing sometimes. I'd been back there many times for tests and only when the engine bay was heat soaked. It never seemed to be a problem first start in the morning or end of day. But it was a problem after leaving home and stopping at the post office nearly 20km away, thats when it would play up. Once warm and you'd be stop start.

But it was more to demonstrate what the average owner is up against. Dad could probably have strung it out a bit longer, but there was always the risk it was going to fail and then Dad would sook. It was easier to scrap and replace to reduce the risk, even when under warranty. But I would never recommend an R&J Predator battery to my worst friend anymore. Poor service life and poor backup.

When I ring R&J for prices they start with "We can do the Predator for" and I cut them off saying "No, Delkor please. Haven't had much success with those". And the response is always "Good call. They are a better battery".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If I was in the position with XB GS 351 Coupe coming in and bringing product in, first time meh have another one, second time I'd be investigating further but not punishing him for it, give him another on the spot, lets look a bit deeper than on the surface and keep an eye on other warranties coming in from these products, we want to look for trends, find information about what cars they're in, how those cars are used, compare it to the same product in the same cars from other brands etc.
The difference with big organisation is what you are suggesting is a waste of money. They will have it all finely tuned and accounted for and in alot of cases its easier to pi$$ off a few customers because it costs them nothing and those customers will be replaced with hundreds more if they move on. But then who has said "I'm never going back there or buying that again" only to go back next week.

Same cant be done in a small business who relies on customer service and word of mouth. They'd have to take an interest in not pi$$ing people off.

A little off track here, but I think its a consequence of the massive performance and incentive bonuses big wigs are offered in recent years. Particularly with public traded companies. They are incentivised to screw over employees and customers alike in pursuit of the biggest possible profit.

And its never going away because plebs like us are tied to that financial performance. People enjoy getting morally outraged at people like Alan Joyce when he makes millions in bonuses and screws over Qantas workers, but I take great joy in reminding said people that their super funds are likely heavily invested in companies like Qantas and you need people like him to be incentivised to do what he does to keep share prices and profits up. Otherwise no 10% returns on your super.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That'll be $300 for my consultation, thanks.
PM me your address. I have some excellent quality excrement I can scoop from the septic tank and post down. Sprinkle on your veggie patch for excellent results.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #125
JGP
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 349
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobiXR6T View Post
I'm onto my 3rd century in the BF XR6T. I've had to replace them around every 2-3 years. The last one which was HD with 36month warranty crapped it in 2 years. Just gave up one day and wouldn't throw the bendix out on the starter motor. Took the battery to place of purchase, tested as dead and replaced under warranty.

At about 24months in now, and again car will sometimes struggle to turn over. Sometimes it starts, but certainly isn't cranking as quickly as expected. Been through the charging system and earth/grounds. Everything else checks out but the batteries just don't hold up.
exactly my issue mate. Even daily driven, cold weather it will need one crank and then fires up on the second. With new batteries it doesnt do this.
Tried 600+cca etc no change. I reckon something to do with ICC, i'm getting it replaced with an aerpro setup soon(ish).
__________________
-Bionic BF2 XR6T 300+rwkw@14psi(PitLane),Leather,premo sound
Plazmaman IC + hot & cold side,Walbro fuel pump,Hi energy intake,100 cell cat + Ultrex SS exhaust,deka 60 injectors,earls turbo oil feed
DBA T3 & Akebono ProACT all round,
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops
Built tailshaft + billet cv,ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines,superpro diff bushes
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #126
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

I am in the market for another Falcon Battery for my EL Falcon.

Seriously considering one of these from Bunnings.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/exide-ex...ttery_p0126442

$65 Cheaper than the Century one from Supercrap, and extra 2 months warranty.

Feed back is not great either but no worse than the Century.

I will see if I can find a Supercharge one locally for a comparison.

Repco sell Century under their own brand at 20% off at the moment also 40 months warranty but our local Repco has none in stock.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave



Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 14-07-2022 at 07:15 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #127
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
arm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hervey Bay
Posts: 3,145
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I will see if I can find a Supercharge one locally for a comparison.
You missed out Autobarn had a 20% off all Supercharge a couple of weeks back.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...tery/p/EL03486

Scored on of these for $164.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #128
Franco Cozzo
Internet Alan Jones
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 41,886
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am in the market for another Falcon Battery for my EL Falcon.

Seriously considering one of these from Bunnings.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/exide-ex...ttery_p0126442

$65 Cheaper than the Century one from Supercrap, and extra 2 months warranty.

Feed back is not great either but no worse than the Century.

I will see if I can find a Supercharge one locally for a comparison.

Repco sell Century under their own brand at 20% off at the moment also 40 months warranty but our local Repco has none in stock.
I swear like 1 or 2 years ago those Bunnings Exide batteries were like $50+ cheaper than they are now.
__________________
The Lebonator lifestyle thread - Melbourne Northern Suburbs Special.

Franco's El Cheapo 'Thailux' thread - Nonno's Axe.

RIP Bojo
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #129
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I swear like 1 or 2 years ago those Bunnings Exide batteries were like $50+ cheaper than they are now.
I am sure they were.

I have noted some huge price jump at Bunnings, especially tools/battery power tools etc

Everything has jumped up a lot. I buy certain things that I have been buying for years.

2.5kg bag of commercial style frozen chips, was paying $7.50 from local wholesaler, paid $12.50 Yesterday.

Baking paper was $1.99 per roll, now $3.59

I also noted bags of lollies, snakes etc are now $4 at Coles. they were $1.99 only a matter of weeks ago.

Four pack of Mother energy drink (yes I am addicted) $7.50 till about three weeks ago now over $11 etc etc etc I could go on all day. Not just small jumps but huge increases.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #130
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
You missed out Autobarn had a 20% off all Supercharge a couple of weeks back.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...tery/p/EL03486

Scored on of these for $164.
Damn. a few weeks ago the battery in the EL was still good, been looking for specials. $164 is a great deal. I would have grabbed one for sure that's nearly $100 cheaper than the Supercrap Auto one.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #131
Franco Cozzo
Internet Alan Jones
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 41,886
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am sure they were.

I have noted some huge price jump at Bunnings, especially tools/battery power tools etc

Everything has jumped up a lot. I buy certain things that I have been buying for years.

2.5kg bag of commercial style frozen chips, was paying $7.50 from local wholesaler, paid $12.50 Yesterday.

Baking paper was $1.99 per roll, now $3.59

I also noted bags of lollies, snakes etc are now $4 at Coles. they were $1.99 only a matter of weeks ago.

Four pack of Mother energy drink (yes I am addicted) $7.50 till about three weeks ago now over $11 etc etc etc I could go on all day. Not just small jumps but huge increases.
I'm calling bull**** on inflation, I reckon it's just greed and they're trying to package it under inflation, those are way more than 10% jumps.

I paid $40 for some lamb cutlets and I'm thinking lamb isn't even that good why did I bother

Saw some green grocer in Adelaide's northern suburbs made a splash over selling reasonably priced veggies, he was calling BS on the majors too.


Independents, I sound like a broken record but it's true, I'm going to yell it from the rooftops until I get assassinated by Safeway.

https://twitter.com/cheapseatsau/sta...93637436477440
__________________
The Lebonator lifestyle thread - Melbourne Northern Suburbs Special.

Franco's El Cheapo 'Thailux' thread - Nonno's Axe.

RIP Bojo

Last edited by PG2; 14-07-2022 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Sorry Franco I meant to press 'QUOTE' and instead I pressed 'EDIT"
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #132
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm calling bull**** on inflation, I reckon it's just greed and they're trying to package it under inflation, those are way more than 10% jumps.

I paid $40 for some lamb cutlets and I'm thinking lamb isn't even that good why did I bother

Saw some green grocer in Adelaide's northern suburbs made a splash over selling reasonably priced veggies, he was calling BS on the majors too.

Independents, I sound like a broken record but it's true, I'm going to yell it from the rooftops until I get assassinated by Safeway.

https://twitter.com/cheapseatsau/sta...93637436477440
It's not inflation, it's price gauging.

Smaller shops and green grocers can still sell it at normal prices. People are too stupid to realise.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 09:58 PM   #133
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am sure they were.

I have noted some huge price jump at Bunnings, especially tools/battery power tools etc

Everything has jumped up a lot. I buy certain things that I have been buying for years.

2.5kg bag of commercial style frozen chips, was paying $7.50 from local wholesaler, paid $12.50 Yesterday.

Baking paper was $1.99 per roll, now $3.59

I also noted bags of lollies, snakes etc are now $4 at Coles. they were $1.99 only a matter of weeks ago.

Four pack of Mother energy drink (yes I am addicted) $7.50 till about three weeks ago now over $11 etc etc etc I could go on all day. Not just small jumps but huge increases.
The sellers of Mother energy are really doing you a favour by overpricing the stuff.Maybe make your own.Can of Coke or similar and put 4 heaped spoons of sugar into and presto energy drink for about a buck a can if you buy the Cole by the box
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #134
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The sellers of Mother energy are really doing you a favour by overpricing the stuff.Maybe make your own.Can of Coke or similar and put 4 heaped spoons of sugar into and presto energy drink for about a buck a can if you buy the Cole by the box
I don't drink coke, not a fan.

Mother Energy drink has less sugar than Coke, Solo, Sprite, Fanta, Ginger Beer, Rockstar, V, Red Bull, Mountain Dew and possibly many more drinks people drink daily, so not sure why you need to add more sugar.

The main thing Coke is missing is 163mg of caffeine, Vitamin B2, B6, B12 and Taurine and most of all flavour.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:49 PM   #135
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2
 
PG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,323
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
...

Independents, I sound like a broken record but it's true, I'm going to yell it from the rooftops until I get assassinated by Safeway.
I hear that they are hiring at the moment.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 12:41 AM   #136
Franco Cozzo
Internet Alan Jones
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 41,886
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I hear that they are hiring at the moment.
Safeway? Nah, but apparently some chain of restaurants called 'Karen's Diner' is at the moment:

Quote:
Karens is an interactive diner and an absurdly fun experience. At Karens you will be greeted and waited upon by rude waiters who in return are expecting you to give it full Karen. A place where you can complain until the cows come home because we literally don't care.
https://www.bemorekaren.com/

I think I've found my calling in life, I love being rude! Getting paid to be an unflushable turd to people? Wow I tell you what the last 12 years in automotive have set me up for a gig like that
__________________
The Lebonator lifestyle thread - Melbourne Northern Suburbs Special.

Franco's El Cheapo 'Thailux' thread - Nonno's Axe.

RIP Bojo
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #137
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2
 
PG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,323
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Safeway? Nah..
I was thinking more that they were currently hiring assassins.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #138
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
arm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hervey Bay
Posts: 3,145
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Damn. a few weeks ago the battery in the EL was still good, been looking for specials. $164 is a great deal. I would have grabbed one for sure that's nearly $100 cheaper than the Supercrap Auto one.
It seems Sparesbox has gotten a little bit of a bad wrap in another post, but this still may interest you.

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/su...x-182h-mm-mf50

Not on special, just its normal price. But strangely $14 cheaper than the 550CCA Silver version. Would have been good to buy on a special.

If you can get free delivery it would be a bargain.

Warranty states it a nationwide and doesn't have to go back to Sparesbox for warranty. Can be taken to any authorised reseller.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #139
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
It seems Sparesbox has gotten a little bit of a bad wrap in another post, but this still may interest you.

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/su...x-182h-mm-mf50

Not on special, just its normal price. But strangely $14 cheaper than the 550CCA Silver version. Would have been good to buy on a special.

If you can get free delivery it would be a bargain.

Warranty states it a nationwide and doesn't have to go back to Sparesbox for warranty. Can be taken to any authorised reseller.
Not a bad price, I relocated the new warranty replaced Century Battery from the BF GT to the EL GLI (just came in from the garage this second), as my daughter needs to drive to work tomorrow morning and Sunday and I could not decide on a battery to buy Something I would hardly have given a second thought in the past.

I don't NEED to drive the GT in the next week or two so it's currently battery less till I buy something, hopefully that will motivate me to make a decision, as I can drive the GT again as soon as I buy a battery

I think I will leave the new replacement Century battery in the EL which gets driven at least 4 times week, I have written the date on the actual battery and taken a time stamped photo and video of it with the date written on it as evidence that it was fitted today.

If it fails within the next 40 months I will be insisting on a replacement.

Now to get a battery for there GT.

I quite regularly use spares box, living in a reasonably remote rural area, 80% of my car parts are send to me as I can not buy most stuff locally even if I wanted to. My experiences have been good so far.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 11:40 PM   #140
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

What are peoples thoughts on Optima or Odyssey Batteries?

Prices seem outrageous on these, I won't be buying one but just thinking out loud.

Leaning towards Exide at the moment.

42 months warranty and you can buy at Bunnings, I feel like there is less issues when returning stuff to places like Bunnings and Supercrap because the person you are dealing with is usually some 16 year old kid that does not really care, and they just want you gone.

It's a toss up between Exide and Super Charge at the moment, going to get the one I can get locally for the best price.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2022, 02:34 AM   #141
Franco Cozzo
Internet Alan Jones
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 41,886
Default Re: Century Batteries

Pass on Optima D34 - they were good over a decade ago before they switched to Mexico production then they turned to ****, we used to use two of them in the VIC Mica Paramedic SY Territory, one under the bonnet and one in the rear compartment and they lasted about 6 months in the engine bay just being used for starting, mostly after the Mexico production came through.

That was a long time ago now but I haven't used them since it left a bad taste in my mouth so maybe someone here can provide an up to date experience with D34 Optima in Falcons.

It also halves it's charge rate at a battery temperature of 65 degrees C which as you can imagine isn't too hard to get under bonnet temperatures up and cause the battery to get warm to cause charging problems - their website also states no current limit under 52 degrees C battery temperature but without going into specifics and being vague above, something to consider here for under bonnet applications, but I'm sure many here use/used them and not had an issue, go figure.

Odyssey is a premium brand as well but I haven't used one in about a decade so no comment, was used as the auxiliary in VIC Ambulances until switching over to cheaper Lifeline AGM - everyone used to knock off the Odyssey batteries when they come in for replacement on services.

If you wanted to go an AGM then Deka Intimidator 9A34/9A34R is the go to, still US made, I've used one in my EF Falcon I gave away about 7 years ago and it's still in the car and I've used them in under car dual battery start/cycle applications on a PX Ranger a few times as well. You're not really supposed to use AGM in under bonnet applications without insulation but it's worked for me.

I'm going to vouch for ACDelco and Supercharge on recent experiences, I'd give the Exide a crack if it comes up on sale or at previous value pricing rather than extortion it is now.
__________________
The Lebonator lifestyle thread - Melbourne Northern Suburbs Special.

Franco's El Cheapo 'Thailux' thread - Nonno's Axe.

RIP Bojo
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #142
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
jakkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,931
Default Re: Century Batteries

i had really good optima yellow top in my xd 351 ute that car could sit for up to 6-8 months and crank no worries but that battery was purchased 6years ago went with car when i sold it
now franco has me worried as I got a newer red top for my ba something inside me was telling me to keep that yellow top.... but thought just get a brand new one with cash in my hand LOL touch wood both were/have been really good

for anyone interested there is a youtube video on how to keep lead/acid plate battery's going using a welder to shock the build up off the plates a-lot of people swear by it......

https://youtu.be/KzOQH1twpI8


just make sure the water is filled right up to the bottom of the plug holes so hydrogen doesn't build up inside the battery
__________________
GIMME FUEL, GIMME FIRE, GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE.

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker

Last edited by jakkes; 17-07-2022 at 05:12 PM.
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #143
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Bought a Super Charge Battery for my BF GT, Got it for a reasonable price from a local supplier.

Lets See how this goes, hopefully I will not need to update this thread for another 6-10 years.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #144
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid North Coast
Posts: 6,301
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
i had really good optima yellow top in my xd 351 ute that car could sit for up to 6-8 months and crank no worries but that battery was purchased 6years ago went with car when i sold it
now franco has me worried as I got a newer red top for my ba something inside me was telling me to keep that yellow top.... but thought just get a brand new one with cash in my hand LOL touch wood both were/have been really good

for anyone interested there is a youtube video on how to keep lead/acid plate battery's going using a welder to shock the build up off the plates a-lot of people swear by it......

https://youtu.be/KzOQH1twpI8


just make sure the water is filled right up to the bottom of the plug holes so hydrogen doesn't build up inside the battery
Intersting video, watched his other battery ones too, wish I had kept my original Motorcraft battery now. Would be worth rejuvenating if it works.

I remember years ago, our neighbour used to go around collecting old batteries in the early 90's then he used to sell batteries for half price with 12 month warranty. I always wondered what he did to them to bring them back to life.
__________________
The Daily Driver : '98 EL Falcon Pov Pac

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo upgrade and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan



XB Falcon Owners Group



Mike's Man Cave


XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 06:27 PM   #145
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
whynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 833
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Intersting video, watched his other battery ones too, wish I had kept my original Motorcraft battery now. Would be worth rejuvenating if it works.
An extremely dangerous way to desulfurization a battery while applying an equalization charge. Really high risk of an explosion, spraying acid over people and equipment alike.

Desulfurization itself is a controversial topic. While some minor sulfurization can been reversed, it is done so with a mild over voltage (2.5V per cell), a trickle current, and a narrow temperature band (50-60C). Certainly not by blasting the guts of the battery out with a welder.

But once sulfuration has started, the battery is on its way out.

Most good battery chargers have an alternate desulfurization process (by exposing the battery to high frequency charging pulses) built into their charging cycle. But, that too has some question marks over it.

The best way not to get sulfurization is not to let the battery voltage drop below 12.4V when in storage, and keep the core battery temperature below 23C.

As an aside, have you checked out the links I posted earlier on the battery voltage to apply when a battery is effectively in storage?
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2022, 10:11 PM   #146
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
jakkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,931
Default Re: Century Batteries

probably a good idea to explain why it can be dangerous.

nothing in a lead acid battery is explosive... but the battery will give off hydrogen when charging and depleting..

hydrogen is volatile.
it's also lighter than air so will not hang around the battery in an open air environment for very long.

this is why you need to fill the battery up with distilled water.

If its not full you get an air gap under the battery's lid and hydrogen will build up & accumulate in the top part of the battery's case/lid. This is the same for indoors closed environment.

This in a non-ventilated area with an ignition source (connecting leads to the battery or surrounding ignition sources ie:electrical equipment "stationary motor" or "fork lift" etc etc can be enough to ignite it.

I would mitigate the these risks like this:
.have hose/water ready for clean up and emergency
.eye protection / glasses are a must!
.do this on a day with a little bit of wind and out doors
.fill battery with distilled water leave caps loose
.have welder unplugged from wall
.have welder's switch turned off as well
.connect welder to cleaned terminals
.insure welder is set to lowest power setting
.plug in to wall
.then turn on
.then adjust the power to suit


whynot is correct it can be very dangerous if the person is not informed

another way to mitigate this would be to not be a tightass and just buy a new battery pmsl.

we always keep an old car battery in the shed for testing stuff, pumping diff oil etc etc if you want to revive an old battery this can work well.....l and then you have people who do this to keep there currant car battery going and they have good success
__________________
GIMME FUEL, GIMME FIRE, GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE.

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 01:20 AM   #147
Itsme
Experienced Member
 
Itsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Australasia
Posts: 6,441
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
probably a good idea to explain why it can be dangerous.

nothing in a lead acid battery is explosive... but the battery will give off hydrogen when charging and depleting..

hydrogen is volatile.
it's also lighter than air so will not hang around the battery in an open air environment for very long.

this is why you need to fill the battery up with distilled water.

If its not full you get an air gap under the battery's lid and hydrogen will build up & accumulate in the top part of the battery's case/lid. This is the same for indoors closed environment.

This in a non-ventilated area with an ignition source (connecting leads to the battery or surrounding ignition sources ie:electrical equipment "stationary motor" or "fork lift" etc etc can be enough to ignite it.

I would mitigate the these risks like this:
.have hose/water ready for clean up and emergency
.eye protection / glasses are a must!
.do this on a day with a little bit of wind and out doors
.fill battery with distilled water leave caps loose
.have welder unplugged from wall
.have welder's switch turned off as well
.connect welder to cleaned terminals
.insure welder is set to lowest power setting
.plug in to wall
.then turn on
.then adjust the power to suit


whynot is correct it can be very dangerous if the person is not informed

another way to mitigate this would be to not be a tightass and just buy a new battery pmsl.

we always keep an old car battery in the shed for testing stuff, pumping diff oil etc etc if you want to revive an old battery this can work well.....l and then you have people who do this to keep there currant car battery going and they have good success
You forgotten to add one criteria when doing this method with a welder, it is also known to fck good batteries.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL