Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
Prai
Starter Motor

Default 2009 TDCi Titanium Diesel issue

Hey all,

I have the 2L diesel and its done about 270k with pretty much no issue. Just recently we've noticed the engine starts acting weird occasionally. Its like its missing. There is less power when it does happen and restarting the car clears it straight away. This only happens once every couple of weeks or so but its noticeable when it does.

Anyone had this before? Dont really want to go to a mechanic with it as I can't replicate it and it seems like a mission to try to figure out if something specific is wrong. Gets serviced regularly. Just had the fuel filter done last one too.
Prai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2009 TDCi Titanium Diesel issue

Really hard to troubleshoot/diagnose over the internet, but it could be as simple as dpf regen.
- the car can feel like its running rough, (it puts more fuel through to burn the bejezzesus out of the contaminants caught in the dpf for a good clean),and runs rougher when doing this.
its not as noticable if the car chooses to do this while on the highway, but you may see the revs rise. it will be more noticable if you mainly drive City/Metro.

Last edited by 383hq; 04-07-2022 at 07:39 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
Prai
Starter Motor

One of the main things is it looses a lot of power. You can put the throttle fully open and it wont accelerate or rise above around 2K rpm. Is this usual if its doing a DPF regen?
Prai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 01:54 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't think it has a DPF - I've got an 2010 LV TDCI Focus with the same engine and it doesn't.

Mines got a rough idle if it hasn't been driven for a couple days that clears up and when it's cold it'll missfire coming up to a roundabout in the first 2km of driving and same deal, no power, 235,000km.

I suspect it's a fuel delivery problem, in my case with the rough idle I think I have a leaky/sticky solenoid on a fuel injector or a bad spray pattern.

I haven't looked further into mine but it only ever does it on the way into work, never on the way home.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #5
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, 2009, Yeah I missed that critical point.
I was thinking MC mondeo for some reason.
I'm probably just as helpful by pointing out at least we know you don't have a problem with spark plugs !
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Timing Belt changed?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2022, 08:23 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

The fact that a restart fixes things says a lot. What it actually is, is harder to pin point. Could be the turbo actuator, which controls boost, or EGR valve playing up, or any of the other electronics. You'll be better served to send it to Ford, or at the very least start recording OBD2 sensors and try and get the fault in action.

All MK4 Mondeo Tdci in AU have a dpf.
Old 16-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #8
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I would get it code scanned.
It could be a number of things but could be a blocked injector to a dirty fuel filter...

Do yourself a favour and buy a Elm327 with a switch and get Forscan...
If when you are restarting its all ok again it may have not logged the code, so you may have to hook up you laptop with Elm327 while its happening to find out what code its displaying.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post