Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 28-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
smpbanga
Starter Motor

Question 95 tx5 turbo conversion

Hey all,
looking at transplanting a turbo engine into a 95 model tx5, some people say it works some say it doesn't, ive heard it can be done but it needs to be the 2ltr engine from pre 88 tx5's fit ok but the 2.2ltr ones are a bit big. Can anyone tell me if it will even work and how far will i have to go with the change, i guess the engine, gbox etc. anything else anyone else can think of.

Cheers

smpbanga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
AS_Telstar_Man
Starter Motor

I really wouldn't bother, the pre 88 turbos pump out 87kW stock (a bit more with a good exhaust cos the stock exhaust was really restrictive) + it will be hard to find one in decent nick - ur engine already pumps out 84kW - if u stick the turbo in you still gotta work it, you might as well save yourself the trouble and work the engine you have now but I think the best option is to just transplant a 121kW 2.5 V6 transaxle (gearbox + engine) into your car - its a hell of a lot easier cos everything will match properly except the wiring loom + ECU and a hell of a lot cheaper for a lot more kick. Then if u still need mroe power you can force induct the 2.5 but I doubt they'll be much space left in the engine bay once the 6 is in there.
AS_Telstar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
smpbanga
Starter Motor

The v6 is what's in there at the moment, and to be honest its a deadkick engine, they cost a fortune to work on, and really don't give you back what you put into it. the 2.2turbo engines are ok, but i dnt know if it will fit.

If they do fit i've been told so far that i need:
Ecu
Engine w/turbo
Wiring Harness
Gearbox
Drive Shaft
Old 29-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
smpbanga
Starter Motor

Exclamation

Change of plan, its the 2.0ltr 4 cyl, nt v6 4ws, supposdly 4ws plays havoc with the job. but the conversion still the same.
Old 30-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your car is a 4cyl one then, not the V6? If you think a 2lt will fit you could go with the JDM N/A engine the FE3. Its a DOHC motor and pumps out more power than the turbo engines we got here.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
smpbanga
Starter Motor

Sorry for the late reply,
righto, were to get one though, and would u know wat kind of price you'd be looking at?
My technical knowledge aint to great.
Not the v6, i sold my 4ws, and to be honest im not a big fan of the v6 tx5s. I got my hands on the 4cyl tx5 2.0ltr one.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/front%20cuts.htm

They have a FE3 for $2350 with 94k on the clock. Although I have no idea how fresh the content on the website is. Give them a call nothing to lose! It says suit 87-91 so I would ask around.

Some guy put one of these in his late 80s model TX5 with a turbo bolted on and it ran a 13.6 on a fairly modest tune I believe.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
smpbanga
Starter Motor

rang em up they still got it not a bad price either
the three options now are the fe3, also lookin at the kf series astina v6 2ltr turbo,
the 2.2ltr tx5 motor. supposdly the kf series astina is stronger thean the fe3, so might go for that. anyone know sumone reliable that does conversion etc?
Cheers
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So did they say the FE3 can be put in your car? I have no idea who could do a conversion though.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
smpbanga
Starter Motor

First thanx heaps fo the help with the link and stuff, really appreciated mate!!

The only way any of these engines will fit in the car is through a full conversion, the fe3 will fit the older telstar turbo's tho.

The only engine that will straight in thats got decent power is the eunos 800 supercharged engine, the catch there is that it costs $4000 alone, and the gearbox is only auto, so the gearbox will have to be sourced as well. Doing the conversion is cheaper and most likely the more powerful option. the eunos engine is extremely hard to find, so the only wrecker that i can find with it makes full use of it. good business i guess.

Cheers
Old 08-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot mention the supercharged eunos engine. But anyways seems too expensive.

So the FE3 will fit but needs conversion whereas the S/C will fit but is too expensive. Hope you go through with it and post the results. Make sure to put a post in the project car section if you do it.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
smpbanga
Starter Motor

Will go through with it bt im not sure weather it, but might be a 626 that i do it too, the tx5 that i got my hands on doesn't seem to be a very reliable car, heaps of electrical problems tahts the last place i wan wast my time on.