Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
roger1505

Default Best Sealant

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a new bottle of sealant for my Ford.
I use to use Blackfire Sealants for my white ford falcon.

Just a general enquiry if anyone's got any good sealant suggestions for me?
I don't have a buffer, so preferably a product that allows me to apply it easily.

Thanks
roger1505 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Best Sealant

You don't need a buffer to apply most sealants as they are usually a wipe over product.

What you need is a buffer to prep/polish the surface to ensure it is in optimum condition before sealing.

I can't see the sense in sealing in swirls and imperfections in your paintwork.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
roger1505

Hahahah thanks for the advice.
Well I guess where should i start with purchasing a buffer and which pads should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
You don't need a buffer to apply most sealants as they are usually a wipe over product.

What you need is a buffer to prep/polish the surface to ensure it is in optimum condition before sealing.

I can't see the sense in sealing in swirls and imperfections in your paintwork.

roger1505 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Before you even look at polishing out paint imperfections and any swirl marks, you should clay the car first with a clay bar and lubricant.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

As a beginner you’d be wise to start with a random orbital (dual action) polisher as these are less likely to damage your paintwork compared to a dedicated rotary buffer often used by professionals that in the hands of the inexperienced can quickly cut through your paint meaning a respray will be necessary.

There are quite a few brands on the market, I use a Festool RO 150 which isn’t cheap but I see a lot of home enthusiasts love the Mint Pro-Tools DAS6 which is reasonably priced at around the $200 mark.

As GO FURTHER has pointed out you’ll need to clay first using a quality lubricant to remove contaminants plus a variety of other products including pads, masking tape, different grades of cutting polish and so on to do the job.

You’d do yourself a favour by checking out some of the car detailing forums and YouTube for tutorials to show you what is needed and then you’ll understand why many people find it easier to just go to a professional and pay for the job.

Personally I think doing it yourself is a wonderful way to spend a few days but you need to be prepared to outlay for the right products as there is no point locking in a poorly prepared surface with a sealer that will constantly remind you of the shortcuts you’ve taken.

That’s just my opinion as it depends on what you want as a final finish to how far you’re prepared to go to achieve it.

I’d also recommend buying products from a car detailing retailer who can give you good advise as opposed to going to a place like Supercheap Auto.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will do the job Roger
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am so impressed with this stuff.
Mist onto a wet washed car and wash off immediately with high pressure water to activate 1 panel at a time. (No direct sun / heat on panels)
Glass like finish lasts approx 3 months. Amazing water shedding.
The bonus is it brings up all the black plastic trim to looking new also.
Also brings up the black stripes on my car.

Obviously the better the paint prep before you apply, the better the results.
Here is what it does to even crap paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lwc0zmG9RQ
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1505 View Post
Hahahah thanks for the advice.
Well I guess where should i start with purchasing a buffer and which pads should I get?
Every now and then I think I'd like to purchase everything to buff, polish, seal etc my cars, then I realise it cost a lot and is time consuming, and at the end of the day my lack of experience means i'd likely end up with a subpar job anyway.

For less than the initial outlay of buying all the tools and products, an expert will take care of the job. And for the day I'd have spent on the car, take an OT shift at work instead. Just my opinion here, and generally I'm not an outsourcer, but its one area I've given in.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I am so impressed with this stuff.
Mist onto a wet washed car and wash off immediately with high pressure water to activate 1 panel at a time. (No direct sun / heat on panels)
Glass like finish lasts approx 3 months. Amazing water shedding.
The bonus is it brings up all the black plastic trim to looking new also.
Also brings up the black stripes on my car.

Obviously the better the paint prep before you apply, the better the results.
Here is what it does to even crap paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lwc0zmG9RQ
This over a wax barrier is better again as well.

Allow for easy rinse off of dirt at the next wash ... nothing sticks properly to it.

And also when rinsing using the pooling method ... all water runs off as well ... without much need for a MF drying towel to touch panels to cause more swirls.

You can get the Hydrolite wash as well ... so you don't need to use this spray afterwards either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Hey Roger if your in Melbourne I will be more than happy to detail your car for free
as long you have double garage so I can work on the car undercover
it depends if your after a show car finish or just need to get rid of the swirls and marring

And I ain't no pro but I do do a decent job it's one of my hobbies that I love doing

Pm me if you would like to get your car done

Cheers Dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Dean.

I have a double garage.
you can come around to my place and do mine thanks

In Sydney
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power Lock+ and Collinite 845 is an impressive and affordable combination. As always, preparation of the paint surface is a must.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post