Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > General Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #31
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah thanks Bob! I couldn't understand why they didn't take the dent out of the boot went they respayed it. I did ask him and he said the feet on the ironing board covers it but I think the holes for the rear spoiler are too far up. Oh well just have to worry about it when shes back on the road.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
I will more than likely return it to totally standard too
hey donny, you may have already posted the answer to this question in another thread, so sorry if it is a repeat
are the stripes on your bonnet the way it came out of the factory, or a custom idea

it is very nice, i could handle it if i had the money - but i would need alot of money. if i was to buy a gt, i think i would need all three; xa-xb-cobra. i do not think i would ever get that kind of money, but it would be a pretty awesome garage. imagine the photo shoots - in front of old diners with three highly beautiful coupes - sorry for getting off track i will wake up now
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #33
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I have been asked that question many times, but dont mind answering it.

The car is ment to have a body colour bonnet, but since the colour is so bright I decided it needed some black on it. Now, I am not to keen on the normal XA blackout on a Yellow Glow car, looks like too much black against the yellow, so I looked into other perioud correct blackouts and found these.
These are the McLeod Ford Horn car blackouts as fitted to XA GT's back in 72 and 73. So basically, they are not factory, but are of the same era. Many black bonnets on XA's arent ment to be on them because it isnt listed as an option, so people either got it done by the dealers, or had it done themselves. Then you had some dealers who did special type set-ups, hence the Horn car thing.
Mine didnt come from that dealer, but I used that style to keep in vogue with the era, and give me some black, but not too much.

If you are interested in owning some GT's mate, maybe you should start with one at a time. For example, mine may not be totally concourse, but it has a lot of other stuff goin for it, and you wouldnt be having to re restore mine as you may with others. Also, everything could be taken back to concourse on mine with stuff all work.
Plus as an owner/seller, I wonder how many of us are allowing payment plans. I know I am.

Pics below.......
First, an unrestored Yellow Glow RPO 83

Then the Lime Glaze RPO 83 from the Wheels Mag

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
gtxb67

thanx, a standard bonnet would look weird to you now. it is good to see some individualality, especially when it is so easy to change it back. the standard rear with honeycomb now looks totally weird to me, although i am probably the only one who thinks that

i would love to have one of each model, but unfortunately even one at a time is too much for me at present. i do not think i could convince my wife to even get one. i think she secretly hopes our gets stolen so we can go to europe or get a big screen tv etc. etc. women do not seem to appreciate old cars like we do. to them $100,000 should be spent on a bmw

certainly though, if i was looking, yours would be high on the list. i know someone who could piece it back together (i would not trust my motivation or skill) and as you say, the hard work is done. everyone thinks i went the hard way starting with a six all those years ago, instead of getting one with a hot eight. anyone who has owned a coupe knows the body is the most important thing. matching numbers on a fairmont does not matter to me, but the body is the be all/end all
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #35
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I like the bonnet the way it is, and I do like them body colour too. I also like the normal XA GT bonnet blackout, but only on certain colour schemes.

I had a handbrake like that too, bought her a new car and bought myself the coupe, she still whinged and complained, so I cut her loose. And what was worse was she was a pro car person when we met. She said she grew up and I didnt. I told her I would never abandon my car hobby, and I stuck to my gunns right past the time she left. I am much happier for it now.

Coupe wise....These days if the body is no good then it will cost an arm and a leg to fix it, and thats even if you do most of it yourself. And coupe parts are a killer price wise. Want it professionally done? then its a case of I hope you have deep pockets, specially when it comes to coupes. They really look great, but are a crap design.

The debate on coupes and matching numbers has raged for ever, personally for me, I would pay that bit more for a good matching V8 coupe over a 6 coupe or converted 6 coupe in the same condition, but thats me, thats what I personally prefer, and a complete car would allways rate much higher than a car with lots of things missing.
The ONLY way the above factory V8 way is better than the converted 6 way is you will have is better resale value later on as long as the paint and panel etc is on par with the converted 6 car.

These days tho with a lot of coupes either gone to car heven or should go to car heven, theres not a lot of good stuff left, so its a case of beggars cant be choosers when it comes to matching numbers and genuine V8 shells etc, unless they wanna fork out the really bigger dollars.

Then there is this nasty issue....After the spate of recent stealings etc, sometimes I worry bout having a genuine GT coupe, but if somthing like that happens, then I guess its out of my control. You guys with your nice normal coupes must fret a bit too.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #36
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Then there is this nasty issue....After the spate of recent stealings etc, sometimes I worry bout having a genuine GT coupe, but if somthing like that happens, then I guess its out of my control. You guys with your nice normal coupes must fret a bit too.
i never used to worry years ago. it only had a 6 with b/w 35 and a small diff. the shell could not have been used for a gt so i did not worry too much. it still never got parked anywhere for fear of scratches though. now with the running gear a bit more desirable and replacement panels easy to get (if not to fit), it is a bit more of a worry. you can only hope the precautions you take are adequate (and no-one seriously wants your car)

it was a bit of joke regarding my wife. she is magnificent and understands how much the coupe means to me. hopefully she understands that she means more to me than the coupe. if we had $100,000 though, a gt would still be low on the shopping list. maybe one day we could have all the luxuries and one of each model. 4 coupes - delicious
Old 22-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #37
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I finerly got her home yesterday had to remove complance plate so I can clean them up as they have been painted over. But it 5/75 build date so would this explain the later engine bay and the old quarters. And what rivets should I use to put the complaince plate back on s/steel or just aluminium ones. Even though the car was a complete unit it still missing some little bits. Like a bonnet puller hand brake cable and a few rubbers so hopefully I can hunt something down. As well as they have painted the console and dash pad white which I think I'll either take them back to black or try and get others. And needs the surround for the ignition and steering column. Few other parts as well but I chase these for starters. :
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #38
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default No. 017 Cobra For Sale!

These do not pop up often and will be a good indication what a Bathurst Cobra is worth! Also will show whether the bubble has burst! $300,000 plus .... ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...em300234333633

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #39
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i`d love to have that in my shed.
hope it stays in australia.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #40
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Far out!! I'd love to have that in my garage. Now, what's a spare kidney worth??

I'm surprised it's advertised aimed at the USA the way things are at the moment with the economy, exchange rates etc. It's got more chance of being sold locally.

There are unsubstantiated rumours of an option 97 Cobra changing hands here in Melb in the last half of last year for $320K, believed to be Cobra #009. It'll be interesting to see if this one sells since the muscle car boom has quietened down a bit.

Dave, is this one verified as #017? There's nothing in the listing.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #41
cob115
COUPE WHORE

WTF $300,000 i could be wrong but it ant worth it! and i own a cobra and feel quilty cos i wash my car at the local servo ,jesus 300k

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #42
gtxb67

a top 30 cobra is my dream car, but i cannot see how it is worth it. it has been fully restored, so does that mean an unrestored version is worth $400,000.
also i find it hard to understand
if it has never been driven except for car shows
it doesn't get washed with water
it has always been garaged
why it needed a total restoration after only 58,000 k's
i would have thought even 20 years ago it would have been the type of car that would be kept original and i cannot see why after such a loving existence, it needed a resto after so little use
Old 26-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Dave, is this one verified as #017? There's nothing in the listing.
Was verified by an other Cobra owner who knows him. Same bloke who uses Brut 33! :P Dont know why it hasnt been mentioned actually! You would think asking thise sort of price that it would be a given
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i would have thought even 20 years ago it would have been the type of car that would be kept original and i cannot see why after such a loving existence, it needed a resto after so little use.
It would have come it with option 47 ( standard for coupes, optional for sedans) ....... rust?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #44
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My tip is it won't get a single bid at that starting price
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #45
cob115
COUPE WHORE

i know having it would be nice but ,300k WTF no power steer no air,thermo fan set up looks less than neat,

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 26-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #46
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Same bloke who uses Brut 33! :P
he must smell so 70's then
Old 26-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #47
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Same bloke who uses Brut 33!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
he must smell so 70's then

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 28-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #48
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Biding has ended with 0 bids

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #49
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Default XC coupe on ebay

hey guys thought someone here might be interested in this

XC coupe

complete car unfinished project at $3600 at the moment finishes in 9 hours

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #50
cob115
COUPE WHORE

still 3600 with 4and a half hours to go ,looks like a good project car cheers pat

Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #51
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just ended with $4400 being the winning bid.
A LOT of rust though!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #52
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

not that i have the cash to do it up but that still sounds a fair price to me for a complete car?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #53
gtxb67

Default cars for sale - ebay, cars guide etc.

we have had some posts about coupes for sale on ebay etc. so thought we could keep them all together like the "hard to get bits" thread
so if there is a car that you think will interest everyone, post away
Old 13-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #54
Bearman

A few from Carpoint.

XB GS Falcon 500. This thing looks like a gem and the price is about the going rate. Love the funky vinyl roof!! Was also on ebay recently, bidding ended at $28,700 reserve not met.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn5894134.aspx

XB Falcon. Looks like a good 'un but a little pricey. Ad says will negotiate on price. Could be a good pickup!!
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn5853851.aspx

There's a couple of GT's and a Cobra on there as well if you have the budget!!

Old 13-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #55
Bearman

Now for ebay.....

An XB John Goss Special, looks like a good 'un and has made reserve. 1 day to run:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1975-JOHN-GOS...QQcmdZViewItem

Another Gossy. This one just needs paint and assembling. This is apparently a really good one that just needs finishing.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-XB-Falco...QQcmdZViewItem

XB Falcon. Looks like a good buy, $16K with no bids and nothing about a reserve. Was last time listed for $20K buy it now. Could be a good cheapie!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XB-FALCON-COU...QQcmdZViewItem

An XC Falcon Coupe. No idea about the reserve but it looks like a ripper!! Supposedly an ex interceptor.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-XC-Falco...QQcmdZViewItem

There are also your usual projects etc if you have the inclination.

Old 13-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #56
Bearman

Heres one from the Falcon GT Club website forum:

"I have 4 sale a factory 351 toploader 9in 3.00 LSD red pepper sports wheels 10/72 XA coupe falcon 500. 2 owner all books sales pappers first service etc. all very orignal car untouched. but it is rough and has some rust. has been on dirt road seat rails are stuffed. need full resto, motor does run. 4 sale for $9,500.firm. my No. is 0421777792. I selling it because no room in my shed I have to many projects."

Located in Port Lincoln SA. Sounds like a good base for a project.

Old 13-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #57
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

That XC Coupe is beautiful!!!!!!!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have to agree. That is one nice looking XC. Love the number plates too
Old 15-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #59
Bearman

Here's an XA GT Coupe on Australian Muscle Car Sales. Looks like a good buy.

http://www.australianmusclecarsales....le_view/112814

Cheers..

Old 16-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #60
Bearman

The XC Coupe on ebay (Refer Post #55) has been re-listed. New listing gives the explanation.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-XC-Falco...QQcmdZViewItem
This thing looks to be a beauty and could be a very good buy!!