Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Speeding penalty's in Victoria increase coming (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
So why are you suggesting this practice then, when you then say its not smart practice or courteous?

And I shouldn't have to go back to your first post in this thread to recall what you wrote back then to piece together what you're really trying to say.
Oh ffs, Ben73 said that my suggestion of allowing 40m in front of a vehicle you've just passed was an exaggeration as most people pull in about 5m in front, i was replying to him saying that this type of conduct would indeed see you back on the correct side of the road sooner, however, it is neither smart nor curteous.

You dont have to go back far, it was only 14 posts prior..

Just admit you went early without understanding the context of the posts and we can get back on track hey.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #62
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Fair Game in suburbia, there is no advantage to exceed the speed limit anyway, as traffic lights and traffic determine your arrival time, but in 110kph zones (which are irrelevant, and shouldn’t exist or should be non-enforced), it is absurd to specifically lower the tolerance. Australia is a huge place and that extra 20kph could mean a reduction in travel time of 2 hours or more. And nobody even think of mentioning that stupid “road-safety-expert” argument of what about hitting that object at 20kph faster, reality doesn’t work that way, you would be at a completely different location and whatever object you hit wouldn’t even be there had you been travelling at a different rate of speed. Who even comes up with this crap laws and is the public even consulted when it comes to these things? Do we live in a democracy or a fascist state??
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #63
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Are you serious? So is that why drivers these days are cutting back in only around one car length in front of me after having just been overtaken?
Showing my age, but my usual remark is "there goes Mario Andretti".
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #64
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We are the nanny State and funding the coffers of Spring Street has made the motorist an easy target, but its a voluntary contribution.
If you get caught you have pay and possibly do some time.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #65
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Showing my age, but my usual remark is "there goes Mario Andretti".
I often use that saying but now you've pointed it out I think I'll change it to Michael or maybe even Marco to pretend I'm young again.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #66
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I often use that saying but now you've pointed it out I think I'll change it to Michael or maybe even Marco to pretend I'm young again.
LOL, I try that, but it always comes out as Mario, the original hot headed Italian, especially when younger.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #67
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
We are the nanny State and funding the coffers of Spring Street has made the motorist an easy target, but its a voluntary contribution.
If you get caught you have pay and possibly do some time.
And they keep lowering the speed limits.

2am on the Monash 5 lanes no cars within 400m front/back and doing 80km/h.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

For the love of God, is it that hard to have different speed limits for the conditions.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #68
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Fair Game in suburbia, there is no advantage to exceed the speed limit anyway, as traffic lights and traffic determine your arrival time, but in 110kph zones (which are irrelevant, and shouldn’t exist or should be non-enforced), it is absurd to specifically lower the tolerance. Australia is a huge place and that extra 20kph could mean a reduction in travel time of 2 hours or more. And nobody even think of mentioning that stupid “road-safety-expert” argument of what about hitting that object at 20kph faster, reality doesn’t work that way, you would be at a completely different location and whatever object you hit wouldn’t even be there had you been travelling at a different rate of speed. Who even comes up with this crap laws and is the public even consulted when it comes to these things? Do we live in a democracy or a fascist state??
The only sane thing you stated that this is a big country...… the rest is utter garbage.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #69
MustangStevo63

110kmh 4 lanes brisbane to the gold coast - i go for a drive every sunday
3rd lane many @ 100 or less
4th far right many @ 105 oblivious to whatever behind
i love the ones you come up on doing say 110-115 they 105 and not overtaking , no cars around , they (not always) see you and actually move over ...THEN GET BACK INTO THE SAME FAR RIGHT LANE LIKE WTF?
then some in the right lane....oh traffic is heavy so slow to 60 (next car 300m in front) .....doh!!! multiply this over and over and yep you guessed it ....carpark stretches back and sometime to a stand still .....
yet the govt does NOTHING about education re right lanes just want to sit a speed camera all over your trip every 5 or 10k's .....

we were on these limits in sheet heap of cars 30/40 years ago , now cars with airbags and all the safety features protecting us more ...get the same

road toll has come down hugely as a consequence & with wayyyyy more cars on the road

110kmh on a 4 lane highway puts you to sleep, 130 would make for more aware drivers
dont want to do 130? no problem , find the left lanes

but hey lets penalize to balance the govt books so we can cover our(govt) BS spending habits
like kerry packer said ......i avoid tax (legally) as best i can because you buggers dont know how to spend it!
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #70
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
And they keep lowering the speed limits.

2am on the Monash 5 lanes no cars within 400m front/back and doing 80km/h.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

For the love of God, is it that hard to have different speed limits for the conditions.
Is that the section just before Burke Rd (inbound and outbound from the tunnel to after high st)?
I don't know how true it is but I was told that when they did that section of the road they ordered the overhead signs that only accommodated 2 digits hence why it is 80. I am inclined to call BS on it only because they could have set it at 90 if that were the case.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangStevo63 View Post
110kmh 4 lanes brisbane to the gold coast - i go for a drive every sunday
3rd lane many @ 100 or less
4th far right many @ 105 oblivious to whatever behind
i love the ones you come up on doing say 110-115 they 105 and not overtaking , no cars around , they (not always) see you and actually move over ...THEN GET BACK INTO THE SAME FAR RIGHT LANE LIKE WTF?
then some in the right lane....oh traffic is heavy so slow to 60 (next car 300m in front) .....doh!!! multiply this over and over and yep you guessed it ....carpark stretches back and sometime to a stand still .....
yet the govt does NOTHING about education re right lanes just want to sit a speed camera all over your trip every 5 or 10k's .....

we were on these limits in sheet heap of cars 30/40 years ago , now cars with airbags and all the safety features protecting us more ...get the same

road toll has come down hugely as a consequence & with wayyyyy more cars on the road

110kmh on a 4 lane highway puts you to sleep, 130 would make for more aware drivers
dont want to do 130? no problem , find the left lanes

but hey lets penalize to balance the govt books so we can cover our(govt) BS spending habits
like kerry packer said ......i avoid tax (legally) as best i can because you buggers dont know how to spend it!
From what i've experienced up there its a case of swings and roundabouts, what you lose out on the swings by getting stuck behind someone doing 100 in a 110 zone you more than make up for on the roundabouts when you all blast through the roadworks marked as 25 zones doing the same 100...
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #72
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doddy View Post
150km/h on the wrong side of the road, just because you have to drive 10km/h below the posted limit for a bit!??? I guess we will see you on the news soon enough, dead, or have killed another innocent driver because of your impatience.
Mate, road trains can be 53 metres long. I'm with XR Martin, the less time spent along side a road train with it's trailers swinging wildly around the better. A friend was killed because of the exact same thing. He was towing a trailer with a car on the trailer, commenced overtaking the road train, a process that was lengthy given he was towing and the rear of the road train crossed over and into his trailer sending the the trailer and his car off into the scrub.

Speeding doesn't equal dangerous or dead, there are many other factors. Just because a particular speed is legislated one day doesn't mean that it is dangerous to exceed it the next.

There's only a wrong side of the road if other cars are already using it, that's why we have the broken white line, you are allowed to use the other side legally if they are not.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #73
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Mate, road trains can be 53 metres long. I'm with XR Martin, the less time spent along side a road train with it's trailers swinging wildly around the better. A friend was killed because of the exact same thing. He was towing a trailer with a car on the trailer, commenced overtaking the road train, a process that was lengthy given he was towing and the rear of the road train crossed over and into his trailer sending the the trailer and his car off into the scrub.

Speeding doesn't equal dangerous or dead, there are many other factors. Just because a particular speed is legislated one day doesn't mean that it is dangerous to exceed it the next.

There's only a wrong side of the road if other cars are already using it, that's why we have the broken white line, you are allowed to use the other side legally if they are not.
Couple of problems with your argument. 1 Are you sure your friends overloaded trailer didn,t get the speed sways and clip the road train before it ran off the road?2 surely roads with road trains aren,t so busy that you can,t wait a couple of minutes til you get to a passing lane or a straight piece of road where you can see a long way ahead.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #74
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Couple of problems with your argument. 1 Are you sure your friends overloaded trailer didn,t get the speed sways and clip the road train before it ran off the road?2 surely roads with road trains aren,t so busy that you can,t wait a couple of minutes til you get to a passing lane or a straight piece of road where you can see a long way ahead.
A couple of points here. How do you know it was overloaded.? Have you ever tried passing a triple?

There's a lot of straight roads up there but overtaking lanes are scarce, as is the traffic.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #75
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
A couple of points here. How do you know it was overloaded.? Have you ever tried passing a triple?

There's a lot of straight roads up there but overtaking lanes are scarce, as is the traffic.
I passed a couple of Tripples recently on the Arnhem highway In a Prado.
as you say no passing lanes but it still takes a lot of one of those straight lengths of road to get passed.
if the Prado had a bit more grunt I would have passed a lot quicker. starting at 80kph the Prado never managed to get to the 130kph limit passing.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #76
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Correct GasOLane, It was a dedicated car carrying trailer with a sedan on it being towed by a Ford Ranger far from overloaded and perfectly legal.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #77
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not from the coroners report based on the witness statement from the injured passenger in the overtaking vehicle.

And I don't know of any idiots that would pass a triple when the road wasn't straight and clear of oncoming traffic!!

From Alice to Darwin you'd have to travel about 1300 odd K's to find an overtaking lane!!

Last edited by NTF6; 08-11-2018 at 11:02 AM.
NTF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #78
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not from the coroners report based on the witness statement from the injured passenger in the overtaking vehicle.

And I don't know of any idiots that would pass a triple when the road wasn't straight and clear of oncoming traffic!!

From Alice to Darwin you'd have to travel about 1300 odd K's to find an overtaking lane!!
Wel I travellrd from Darwin to Katherine in Sept and I can tell you there were numerous passing lanes and dual lane sections in that 300 km road, so please get the facts straight and don,t tell outright lies
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #79
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wel I travellrd from Darwin to Katherine in Sept and I can tell you there were numerous passing lanes and dual lane sections in that 300 km road, so please get the facts straight and don,t tell outright lies
You clearly lack some comprehension skills, I suggest you re-read my post.

I clearly stated from ALICE to Darwin (in that direction) you would have to travel 1300 kilometers BEFORE you encounter any overtaking lanes as there are absolutely none until just after Katherine heading to Darwin, IF you traveled from Darwin to Katherine then you wouldn't need to travel very far as the Darwin to Katherine section of road has plenty of them. My original post related to my mate driving from Alice to Darwin, hence my comment about travelling 1300K's before encountering any overtaking lanes.

AND I do have my facts straight and please refrain from calling me a liar when clearly you can't comprehend what was posted.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #80
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Future technology will allow the government to detect speeding in any street !

However future cars will also prevent you from speeding if you wanted to.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #81
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These people advocating sitting next to a road train and overtaking slowly.

Have you ever overtaken a triple and had a trailer come at you?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #82
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Future technology will allow the government to detect speeding in any street !
Well at least there will be much less traffic to contend with...
Most drivers would lose all their demerit points and licence within a week.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #83
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
However future cars will also prevent you from speeding if you wanted to.
Its already here, i have a speed limiting feature in my little Picanto, set it to 60 and no matter how much you push the throttle it wont go over, not bad for a $17k car.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #84
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have twice overtaken B doubles, doing about 130-140 by the time I pulled back in the lane when unknown to me cop cars were coming towards us in the distance. Once I pulled back in the lane I just took my foot off and coasted back to 110, as they got near me they just put their beacons on for a couple of seconds. I just waved as I went past and that was it, this is in country WA, no where near any towns. Commonsense prevailed in these instances IMO, I wasn’t speeding for the hell of it and the cops let me know they were watching.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #85
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
These people advocating sitting next to a road train and overtaking slowly.

Have you ever overtaken a triple and had a trailer come at you?
The NT also has road trains that now have four trailers and as someone who uses the roads here a lot those last couple of trailers can really swing around a hell of allot.

I carry a hand held UHF and I always contact the driver to let them know that I'm overtaking and they will speed up slightly in order to straighten up the trailers to reduce the amount of swing they'll do.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #86
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The NT also has road trains that now have four trailers and as someone who uses the roads here a lot those last couple of trailers can really swing around a hell of allot.

I carry a hand held UHF and I always contact the driver to let them know that I'm overtaking and they will speed up slightly in order to straighten up the trailers to reduce the amount of swing they'll do.
Yeah we've got them too, mostly fuel trucks and the occasional ore truck but they are more rare.

Was chatting to a driver one night and he was telling me how he thinks they are more stable than 3.
Probably being on the power more helps, the problems start when you're coasting.
From memory they are 61 point something metres.

Police here are mostly reasonable, as long as you start slowing afterwards they're ok. It's the new "imports" from England that are the ones who will pull you over and start lecturing.

A recent trip I had an unmarked car sit behind me for 500k's, we were both overtaking at 170. When I stopped for fuel he waved as he went past.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #87
mitchc23
Starter Motor

Please consider the law suggesting any vehicles merging back into a lane after overtaking need to leave a sufficient gap to the car behind. With common knowledge dictating this gap is 3 seconds. That would mean at 100km/h, the earliest available time to merge back will be 90m after passing the vehicle. This is absolutely crazy yet enforceable by HWP.
mitchc23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post