Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 19-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
lightninGStrike FPV

Question Ford Warranty with Flash Tuners XR turbo

Hey there this is my first thread so please go easy on the dummy.
I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with Ford on their warranty when putting their car in for services or repairs.
I want to increase the potential of my XR6 turbo but am worried about when replacing the standard programme in computer whether ford can tell it has been changed. Oh and does anyone know of a good tuner on the Gold Coast.

Cheers,

Heath

lightninGStrike FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

As far as being detectable, it depends on who you talk to.

According the Jerry from SCT (they make the flasher) it is not detectable by ford.
I have spoken to some ford techs and they say it is not detectable.
I have have heard of some dealerships bluffing owners in to admiting they have been reflashing.
Others on this forum beleive the date of the original programme changes when reflashed and it is detectable, but I have not heard of this as being fact, but can't say it isn't so

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spoke to a ford dealer about this and he stated that ford now have a "ghost"program that can tell if someone has flashed their car,he said ppl have been flashing the car and when it goes in for a service have re-installed the original program,then flashed again after the service.Don't know much about the procedure or even if what he said is correct so don't take this as gospel,just what was told when I was looking to buy a xr6t and asked about warranty,oh,and he said a flashed car will void warranty on the engine and driveline cause it puts extra strain on parts.But as said,this was from one dealer and dont know if ghost is real or not.
Old 26-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It may be true, but it still sounds like a bluff to me, would like to see some proof.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

A certian club member who is a smart ford mechanic informed me that they can see the last time the ECU was accessed by some sort of tool either being a flash tuner or a diagnosis machine, all they can see is a date.
Old 27-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are worried about your warranty.. leave it stock. It's the only safe way.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
A certian club member who is a smart ford mechanic informed me that they can see the last time the ECU was accessed by some sort of tool either being a flash tuner or a diagnosis machine, all they can see is a date.
Yes they can tell if someone has been at it.
They can't tell what has been changed or if anything has been changed at all.
So they try and make you fess up and admit that it has been changed.

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As vegabass and DJL351 have said, they can tell when the ecu was last touched, but they can not tell what has been done to the ecu/pcm..... How is this so, The ecu/pcm logs the last time the computer was updated, but if you disconnect the battery for an hour (or better, over night) the memory is erased, so therefore all data that is logged, is lost including including the date you last flashed your ecu/pcm...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Yeh they can tell that the ECU program has been "accessed", but not sure if they can tell what the changes (if any) have been installed.

The dealers won't give a toss until something breaks, and if they can draw a connection to the engine ECU (and they can draw some insanely long bows !) then your stuffed.

For instance I have had several 'discussions' with my dealer, including the dealer principal (who is about as much as a car enthusiast as a tree huggin carpet licker) because they have told me that my drivetrain warranty is void because of the changed suspension geometry on my car. Due to Herrod mods. Keeping in mind that I ownly lowered it 25 mm !!!!!!!! I reckon this is just absurd. Oh, and the exhaust is a warranty voider for me apparently, yet alone the flash tune.
From what I can gather reading other members posts, it really come down to the dealer you choose. Some are great, but most are complete tossers, run by pencil necks who believe that any car mods are the work of the devil.

Find a good dealer... unfortunately for me there is not a good one in my neck of the woods.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post