Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #31
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Default Re: Longer Daylight Savings

Day light savings is stupid especially having it during summer which is when the daylight lasts longer anyway. If its so important to have it why not do it in winter when it could serve a purpose? Also why do people say its great, more time in the shed after work. Have people forgotten the fact we have electricity. Alot of people up here ignore it because they dont see the point. Queensland dont have daylight savings and yet people manage fine, so why must these southern states insist on having it?

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
Wheelbarrow74

LOVE daylight saving Especially down here in TAS ;)

Wheelbarrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
What time do some of you people get home from work?
In summer I finish work anywhere from 6pm onwards to 8pm so coming home and there still being some daylight hours is fantastic, especially when my office at the moment doesn't have a window. .
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Daylight savings is OK, you get used to it and have more sunlight for leisure in the afternoons.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

So you all mow your lawn cause there is light ...when the clock says people will be watching the news and trying to have tea ....top stuff .I'm a shift worker so its of no relevance....but people have the courtesy to mow when people will be least affected noise wise .if your state needs a time adjustment just make it permanent .the rest of any benefits you gain are just personal and a joke really .and those that get more time in their shed hmmm lightswitch ...and noise restrictions ? When they do it in qld I got to try to get to sleep with the sun up , yay .

Jokes aside I know it works for the south , but really believe you just need the permanent time adjustment ...enjoy it anyway southern friends .
Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 836Falcon
Day light savings is stupid especially having it during summer which is when the daylight lasts longer anyway. If its so important to have it why not do it in winter when it could serve a purpose? Also why do people say its great, more time in the shed after work. Have people forgotten the fact we have electricity. Alot of people up here ignore it because they dont see the point. Queensland dont have daylight savings and yet people manage fine, so why must these southern states insist on having it?
your home during the hottest part of the day, not at work..

and before you say QLD is hotter,
only during winter..is my reply.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Hate daylight savings. When I went down Melbourne 2 years ago it threw my wife and I.

Running around Lygon Street at 8pm and it feels like it's 4pm. Ridiculous.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #38
kocho
The Futuriser

Don't really like it. Makes it more uninspiring to get out of bed!

They should make it half an hour forward for the whole year and be done with it.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #39
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Hate daylight savings. When I went down Melbourne 2 years ago it threw my wife and I.

Running around Lygon Street at 8pm and it feels like it's 4pm. Ridiculous.

I agree, about 10 years ago i was visiting friends in melbourne and the sun was still up and they were putting their kids to bed as it was 8pm, i was well confused.

Its useless in QLD (and other states IMHO)
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #40
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

without daylight savings it would be getting light at 330-400am..in the middle of summer.....the days are longer....its also why we cant have it in winter..if we did it would still be dark at 7am
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your home during the hottest part of the day, not at work..

and before you say QLD is hotter,
only during winter..is my reply.
I am located in NSW. All I am saying is if people in QLD survive with out day light savings, why cant the southen states? I dont see any reason to day light savings at all and people up my way feel the same especially the farmers which is why they dont even bother

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #42
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Miss it over here. I've heard all the BS excuses too.

Get up earlier - Sure, I'm happy to start work an hour early, you tell all the WA gov schools that they too will need to start early if they want their IT support.

We need it in winter - there is often no light to 'save' in winter. Moving the clocks then results in dark mornings and dark nights.

I want to walk/run/ride in the morning DLS means its dark - Well what the hell do you do during winter?

My kids won't go to bed - Educate your kids and stop being lazy. I have a two year old, when its bed time its bed time, daylight or no daylight.

Its hotter - yeah like its hotter because we move the earth closer to the sun.... ah no, a man made device says it is a different time, thats all.

Quote:
especially the farmers which is why they dont even bother
My favourite one!

They say they rise and fall with the sun, as there is loads of work to do... cool, no worries, so what difference does it make if we say its 4am instead of 5am?

Oh how I could go on.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......

Last edited by DJL351; 05-10-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added quote
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #43
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Day light savings is awesome! I get to work at 7am and leave about 6pm, so why would I want extra light at the start of the day when I'm sleeping?

Yes, get home in the evening and have enough light until 9pm to mow the lawns, try the reversal and it's ilegal to make that noise early in the morning, plus why would I want to?

I dislike the fact that when I go to QLD it's dark so early. Such a great climate, yet it's pitch black so early in the evening, yet you can't sleep past 6am as the sun is up so early.

Why would the states with the majority of population want to bow to those in less populated state?
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #44
BHDOGS
Banned

i work security get up at 6am to got to work at finish at 8pm didnt realise it was even daylight savings or it was over means nothing to me
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #45
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
if we didnt have daylight saving the sun would end up rising at 4.30am. why not have it at the end of the day when you can use it?
if it was winter it would be dark at 9am like in paris.
i spose up in the north of the state it would be a little different than sydney.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #46
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
So you all mow your lawn cause there is light ...when the clock says people will be watching the news and trying to have tea ....top stuff .
So what, you have figured out a way to mow the law correct at night? You got high beams on your mower? I personally couldn't care less if the noise of my mower and gardening equipment stops my neighbours from picking up there knife & fork to have tea. I put up with their stupid barking dog all hours so what's a little noise from my yard after work between neighbours?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It certainly stuffs up my beero'clock !!!
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #48
Scott

I love it and wish QLD had it. Time, time, time - gimme more!!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Funny how those that have it enjoy it ...... those who don't, don't like it.

I love it and when it finishes you know the cold weather is close and the getting at home in the dark begins. Mowing lawns, doing some pottering around the garage or garden ...... just feels like there is so much more time to do things

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Funny how those that have it enjoy it ...... those who don't, don't like it.

I love it and when it finishes you know the cold weather is close and the getting at home in the dark begins. Mowing lawns, doing some pottering around the garage or garden ...... just feels like there is so much more time to do things
The further you are away from the equator the better it suits.

Here is an idea. How about just move the whole AEST time zone forward 30 minutes all year round.
This will make us 1 hour ahead of SA/NT instead of 30 mins which would make it easier and no more mucking about with changing clocks.

I now wait for all the reason from the southerners as to why this won't work including too cold and dark in the morning in winter (same day length) and the cows will freeze and there will be not enough sun.......

Big picture, daylight saving suits below the tropic (even here why I live) but we are divided into states and most of QLD is above the tropic so we do not have daylight saving.

I do agree that a really good way to solve most of the problems in QLD not just the daylight saving issue would be to move the QLD/NSW border about 200km further north....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #51
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I do agree that a really good way to solve most of the problems in QLD not just the daylight saving issue would be to move the QLD/NSW border about 200km further north....
HEY!! No way.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Would be a pain to live in Tweed Heads during this time. Most are too old they don't know what day it is anyways and inside the Bowling club you wouldn't know if it was day or night!

If they had a permanent 30minutes I would be happy!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #53
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont have any strong views either way. I'd be happy if we had it or not but I dont really see how it effects peoples lives to a great degree though. Do people mow their lawns at 8pm? Seems more psychological than anything.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #54
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I dont have any strong views either way. I'd be happy if we had it or not but I dont really see how it effects peoples lives to a great degree though. Do people mow their lawns at 8pm? Seems more psychological than anything.
I would probably go as far as saying, it would be about 99.8% psychological ..... and yes, people do mow the lawns after 8.00pm. Having daylight at 9.00pm on a warm Summers night gives you so many more hours to be outside. In Winter it is starting to get dark at 5.00pm which gets very depressing

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #55
MAV50L
Banned

Yep got home this afternoon and managed to get the front and back lawns mowed before the rain is due to return tomorrow. Cant mow in the morning before work as I leave at 6am so to be able to do it in the afternoon is great.
Gives me more time onthe weekend to play cars and camptrailer.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its pretty cool, last week on Friday when I woke up at 5:30AM to get ready for work, it was daylight, Monday its like night.

Now I'm running comparisons of Phillips +80s and Phillips standard H7 globes in my car on the way to work in the mornings, lol.

I'm waiting for the grass to dry out a bit more before I test out my new lawn mower
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #57
Murphington
Starter Motor

Even though there is only 1 hour difference, I still feel as if I'm jetlagged. It feels so weird being so light at like 8pm!
Murphington is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #58
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have been living in qld for 15 years now and still miss daylight savings. i love it = more outside time after work.

qld has shorter days anyway because of position means there is very little twilight. the sun goes down and its dark not like the southern states where the light lingers longer. so i recon we should have daylight savings all year.
every time i mention it at work i get shot down by the "locals" . but then most of them have never been past brisbane and still think that joe was god. ( lol... just stiring)
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #59
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

The reason why I love it is I grew up having late night BBQs on the balcony in the twilight, it means I can work on cars in the garage that DOESN'T have power, and I'm not driving/training and walking home in the dark. mind you putting it forward half hour permanently, would then mean I'm travelling to work in the dark during winter.

The reason I hate it? It throws off the cats and they have no clue what the hell is going on. Mind you, if the sun rose at 4 or 5 in the morning during summer, THAT would get up my nose, not because "oh noes sun I canne sleep", but because "Oh great sun" *cats running around causing a melarkey because the birds are tweeting* "Oh great, cats". Simple solution would be lock the cats in the shed, but I'd never here the end of that, from them OR Dave.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #60
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
i have been living in qld for 15 years now and still miss daylight savings. i love it = more outside time after work.

qld has shorter days anyway because of position means there is very little twilight. the sun goes down and its dark not like the southern states where the light lingers longer. so i recon we should have daylight savings all year.
every time i mention it at work i get shot down by the "locals" . but then most of them have never been past brisbane and still think that joe was god. ( lol... just stiring)

You might want to check your history.

In fact it was Sir Joh who first implemented daylight saving in QLD in only to receive such a huge push back that it was abandoned a year later.

Then in 1989 Russell Cooper bought it back for a 3 year trial which lead to the 1992 referendum under Wayne Goss where it was voted out.

Now I am aware that the concept of decisions "by the people for the people" rather than "OBEY what govco tells you" is somewhat foreign to a lot of Australians but up here despite the dilution by emigration from the south we still like to try and run our state in a way that suits Queenslanders.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post