Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 18-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #31
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Beautiful car! Did it ever have the front lip on it?

When I was in Tasmania at the beginning of the year I think I saw about 2 or 3 Cougar's down there... one in Launceston was maroun coloured, but pretty sure it didn't have the Eibach kit. I often saw it parked in the city centre.

Dan
Old 19-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #32
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE666
Thought i may aswell post up some pics

I really like the colour....now its time to get the mod bug..... :
Custom Equal Length Headers and secondary pipes
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
and a greddy emanage waiting for install...
E-Manage Forums
A Mazda MPV is really only a cougar
in family friendly clothing............:
cpapashley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #33
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

anybody know any info on the fuel pump problem in the 01 cougars? My mechanic is stumped and i have been left without my beloved Barry for over 6 weeks..the cheapest quote i have gotten so far is $2200 and up to 4 weeks wait and aftermarket parts have not been sufficient? Apparently this is a common prob for the dear cougars! they are good looking and lovely to drive but terrible to get anything fixed (if they can determine the problem at all) Some bugger down in Wagga Wagga ripped off one of my windscreen wipers while I was having dinner-cost me $215 for a second hand one!!! yes just ONE! please any info would be great as this is the second mechanic to look at my 2001 Auto Cougar to no avail????...please help save my cat!
Crystal1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #34
thearrow

I have had a succession of minor problems. Power steering pump, blocked ICAV, leaking vacuum hose, cracked & buckled mag wheels. Worst of all someone backed into it and caused slight damage to the bonnet and front bumper.

On the positive side a new exhaust has made a HUGE difference.

I will post some pics soon.

The new wheels are SVT Focus wheels imported direct from the USA.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #35
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

My car's been munching tyres recently. Two front driverside tyres in a couple of months, with the same problem - the inner wall delaminating. Tyre shop blames a bad wheel alignment.

This afternoon I checked to find the driverside rear is low on air - hope it's not the same issue.

Car's purring along fine aside from that. Thank God I got the a/c re-gassed before these soaring Summer temperatures!

Dan
Old 19-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #36
REDDYZ

Quote:
Hey guys, anyone know where the cabin air filter is located on the cougar, it's a 2000 model
Here is the procedure to change cabin filter. Look for Mercury cougar in the list.

http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/wix...irbrochure.pdf

Cheers

Yogi.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #37
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapashley
Good heads up on this one, I have had my suspicions when using any 91, the car pings and carries on something chronic, with 95 no worries.

Just FYI, Cougar engines are designed to run on normal unleaded. Using premium fuel will cause premature combustion other words fuel will explode instead burning means detonation. The pressure in the cylinder will rise far beyond the cylinder's design limits. Piston rings will be worn prematurely. Knock sensor will retard ignition timing when it detects knocks and this will result in lack of power. So, whoever is still using unleaded, better stick to it for longer engine life. Engine in my cat has done 130k clicks and still takes 5W-30 and doesnt burn oil at all and oil remains gold in colour for upto 5000km.

cheers

Yogi
Old 19-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #38
REDDYZ

My Eibach is mechanically A1. Tried to keep it to original condition so far. Except stereo. I replaced with Soundstream 7" DVD player. Sounds great even without sub. So, far replaced battery, all 4 struts and springs (same as the original eibach ones fitted from factory), all 4 tyres, exhaust. Planning to do these mods when possible.
-K&N cold air intake it
-HID Xenon kit
-Ordered original Mortor craft double platinum nickel plated sparkplus
-Ignition coils, leads
-Rocker gaskets, intake manifold gaskets
and may be body kit and wheels.

The only problem it now has is leaking A/C compressor. :(

LOVE MY CAT

Yogi :eclipsee_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00175.JPG (57.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00176.JPG (72.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00180.JPG (77.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00182.JPG (78.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00183.JPG (71.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00186.JPG (59.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00184.JPG (67.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 19-12-2009, 03:54 AM   #39
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Thanks for sharing your pics Yogi. Always liked the front of the Eibach Cougars It was after seeing a red one in a carpark I started my hunt for my own Cougar many years ago!

Dan
Old 19-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #40
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
Thanks for sharing your pics Yogi. Always liked the front of the Eibach Cougars It was after seeing a red one in a carpark I started my hunt for my own Cougar many years ago!

Dan

cheers mate.
Old 23-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #41
tomo
Starter Motor

Hi guys,
I noticed that my parking lights didn't work, thought bulbs were burnt. Decided to change them and then little surprise, instead of bulbs, sockets and cables only rubber plugs :-0
Anyone encountered something like that? I'd love to have them working but couldn't find any cables for it. Everything is like they never meant to be there... Any ideas?
tomo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #42
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi tomo, welcome to the forum.

Need to know which model Cougar you have. If it's the SW, then the parkers should be tiny bulbs. I found mine to be not working ever and replaced them. Your problem seems a bit weird/dodgy to me. How long have you had the car?

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #43
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Welcome Tomo, the SX models also use the tiny 5W (or whatever they are).

Not sure of what you're describing but as posted above we might need to know the model of your Cougar because the two headlight assemblies I think are a little different from each other.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 25-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #44
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Thought i may aswell post up some pics
Ummm, where's your front spoiler? :S

Old 18-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #45
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

I think i will be selling my cougar.... has a fuel related issue that has been hard to diagnose. been surging upon take off. tint on front windows is peeling-was planning to get all this fixed as I really love the car, but have two large dogs and have to invest in a ute =( and will be selling it for only what i owe on it ($10,000) its an 2001 Automatic eibach coupe. Beautiful car. Will be available to view in Brisbane from the 4th of March 2010. Its registered until May, has around 180,000km on it. Or feel free to make an offer. I have a few pics available. Message me on 0429720941 or email crystal_dot_toohey@hotmail.com.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #46
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

I think i will be selling my cougar.... has a fuel related issue that has been hard to diagnose. been surging upon take off. tint on front windows is peeling-was planning to get all this fixed as I really love the car, but have two large dogs and have to invest in a ute =( and will be selling it for only what i owe on it ($10,000) its an 2001 Automatic eibach coupe. Beautiful car. Will be available to view in Brisbane from the 4th of March 2010. Its registered until May, has around 180,000km on it. Or feel free to make an offer. I have a few pics available. Message me on 0429720941 or email crystal_dot_toohey@hotmail.com.
Old 19-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #47
thearrow

Crystal I have been thinking about your problem and the only solution and it is the solution of last resort is to take it to a FORD dealer and see if they can identify the problem for you. In any case you have to fix it before you can sell it so this may be the only answer (it will cost a few bucks but it seems the only answer).

I am sorry you are selling, IMHO they are great cars.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #48
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Just thought i would post in here to let the cougar lovers know that my eibach is for sale. Full details are in the for sale section of this forum http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11286898 looking to sell her too a good home, pm me if interested.

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #49
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Good luck with the sale FTE666!

Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #50
thearrow

Why are you selling such a nice looking car???
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #51
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

bought a 4x4, to tour and do some camping

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #52
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

seems like cougars are dropping like flies. lol

*jumps in his turbo*

Old 24-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #53
Scarlet
Starter Motor

Default Fuel sensor & trouble starting issues

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to be asking but i have a couple of questions about the cougar. I'm a female too so i don't kow the correct terminology so bare with me?!

I have a 2001 Cougar and have problems with my fuel sensor not recogonizing the amount of fuel in the tank when parked on steep driveways, hills etc. I park on a tilted driveway (my house) and am constantly having to roll it down the hill and then try starting the car at the bottom. This works, but the 1st few k's she's very slow to pick up. Now, related or not but she's not starting properly at all. I switch the ignition and she makes this struggling sound. It usually starts on the 5th ot 6th go, is it possible this is related? or completely different issue? I've check the battery and it seems fine. I've started it a few hrs after it's last drive and it starts fine. It's just cold starts in the morning and after sitting for 7/8 hrs or so...
I'm scared to take it to a mechanic since the last time i did it cost me $3,000 because they got it wrong and i had to take it elsewhere. They had no clue, they didn't use genuine parts and i was without a car for 3 mnths..

So.. just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues or know's a quality mechanic with cougar experience in the Brisbane/Qld..??? Any tips or help would be so greatly appreciated!! : )
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #54
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. It's a common problem with the cougars.

How many k's has it done? I had a pretty uneventful time with my cougar when i had it when it came to problems. It was rock solid most of the time!

Old 24-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #55
Scarlet
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Sounds like the fuel pump to me. It's a common problem with the cougars.

How many k's has it done? I had a pretty uneventful time with my cougar when i had it when it came to problems. It was rock solid most of the time!

Approx 187,000k's. Yeah i got from the other posts that it might be the fuel pump, apparently there was a recall a few years back?! Apart from this, i've never really had any complaints.. i can't imagine selling it anytime soon, i get too many comments and stares at the fuel station lol
Old 24-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Welcome Scarlet! Good that you're enjoying your Cougar, even with the fuel issues. Sounds like it might be a fuel pump, or even the gradient the car is parked on. My Mother's Focus (different car I know) has similar issues when parked on a hill and low fuel it'll have trouble starting.

Not much of an update from me, but I paid off my car so I now own it, not the finance company! Yaaaaaay! Installed a set of HID's to celebrate as well

Dan
Old 24-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #57
Scarlet
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
Welcome Scarlet! Good that you're enjoying your Cougar, even with the fuel issues. Sounds like it might be a fuel pump, or even the gradient the car is parked on. My Mother's Focus (different car I know) has similar issues when parked on a hill and low fuel it'll have trouble starting.

Not much of an update from me, but I paid off my car so I now own it, not the finance company! Yaaaaaay! Installed a set of HID's to celebrate as well

Dan
Cheers! I filled the tank completely (not that i don't normally) but since then, she's started several times today, no problems! Fuel pump may still be worth looking into though, thanks!
Old 26-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #58
thearrow

If you are parking on a steep driveway it is probably causing fuel starvation to the fuel pump itself and it is probaly taking half a dozen turns of the motor to get the fuel up to the motor itself.

If it starts OK when it is on the flat then that is the answer.

If not......then you have problems.

In other news I have recently replaced my whole suspension (front & rear) because a front strut broke so now I am running Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. The car is a lot smoother now and handles well.

I got everything from here they were very helpful.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contou...pensionusa.htm

Now I am also having trouble with my ABS as it keeps lighting up all the time and staying on, my research tells me I might have a faulty sensor but have to do more checking on this yet. Actually my dash looks like a christmas tree some times with the check engine light (CEL) on all the time now (faulty sensor in the fluid resevoir) and the check brake light and the ABS light all on AT THE SAME TIME. Then what happens is the traction control light comes on and all the other lights go out except the CEL.

Apart from that no other real problems recently.

Will post some pics soon.

CYA Everybody.
Old 29-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #59
Scarlet
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow
If you are parking on a steep driveway it is probably causing fuel starvation to the fuel pump itself and it is probaly taking half a dozen turns of the motor to get the fuel up to the motor itself.

If it starts OK when it is on the flat then that is the answer.

If not......then you have problems.

In other news I have recently replaced my whole suspension (front & rear) because a front strut broke so now I am running Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. The car is a lot smoother now and handles well.

I got everything from here they were very helpful.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contou...pensionusa.htm

Now I am also having trouble with my ABS as it keeps lighting up all the time and staying on, my research tells me I might have a faulty sensor but have to do more checking on this yet. Actually my dash looks like a christmas tree some times with the check engine light (CEL) on all the time now (faulty sensor in the fluid resevoir) and the check brake light and the ABS light all on AT THE SAME TIME. Then what happens is the traction control light comes on and all the other lights go out except the CEL.

Apart from that no other real problems recently.

Will post some pics soon.

CYA Everybody.

Hi, yeah i think it was the constant parking on a hill, i'm now parking at the bottom and haven't had a hiccup since. Funny you mention the engine light etc, my radiator light stays on 24/7. I had it checked out, they said the sensor must be broken - quoted me $350 for a new one - is that about right??
Old 29-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #60
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Hi, yeah i think it was the constant parking on a hill, i'm now parking at the bottom and haven't had a hiccup since. Funny you mention the engine light etc, my radiator light stays on 24/7. I had it checked out, they said the sensor must be broken - quoted me $350 for a new one - is that about right??
Seriously, don't bother. If you're one to check your coolant regularly, then all you need to do is bridge the connector's terminals. I did that and it went out straight away! No more hideous orange glow from the dash at night!