Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Alternator

Does anyone know the charge rate of alternator at the battery particularly on cougars? This morning alternator warning lamp was flashing on the dash, pulled over and restarted engine and warning light stopped flashing. Later in the afternoon I checked the voltage at the battery and got 14.9-15.1volts while idling and at high revs it was reading 14.7 volts. Generally it should be between 13.8 to 14.8 volts. If any of you has a multimeter, Is it possible to check voltage at the battery on your cougars while idling and on high revs? (around 4000 rpm). Thanks guys.

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
REDDYZ

Started chasing for alternators and this is what I found:

Wreckers : $260 (second hand)
Brand new: $270 incl gst delivered (After market)
Pontiworld : $438 excl shipping
Rockauto : $200-240 USD excl shipping from USA

I was wondering is there a place where we can just buy the voltage regulators? Because mine is overcharging so its clear that the voltage regulator is the culprit. Genuine Motorcraft voltage regulator costs $47 USD excluding shipping from USA. Anyone has any other suggestions? and I appreciate if anyone can check charging voltage as well.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga_hoops
Started chasing for alternators and this is what I found:

Wreckers : $260 (second hand)
Brand new: $270 incl gst delivered (After market)
Pontiworld : $438 excl shipping
Rockauto : $200-240 USD excl shipping from USA

I was wondering is there a place where we can just buy the voltage regulators? Because mine is overcharging so its clear that the voltage regulator is the culprit. Genuine Motorcraft voltage regulator costs $47 USD excluding shipping from USA. Anyone has any other suggestions? and I appreciate if anyone can check charging voltage as well.
Have you tried taking it to an Auto lec. I've had alternators that were over charging fixed for $100
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
REDDYZ

Yes, I did. I had few dramas today with the alternator. My boss helped me find a new aftermarket one for $270, but the stockist asked for old alternator to match it. So pulled out alternator by my self and took it the stockist and badnews.... they had side mounted alternators which are for 2001 and 2002 models. So, eventually with not much choice my boss sent it for reconditioning. They said that the problem is with the regulator as I guessed and they dont have genuine ones which is Motorcraft. They strongly advised not to use aftermarket regulator because they only last few weeks. So, I have decided to order genuine Motorcraft regulator from US. I am suppose to drive to Sydney tomorrow and thats why tried local sources to fix it. If I had enough time I always prefer to order from US as they are genuine and cheap. I finally had to leave my kitty at workshop because it was very hard to pull the alternator out. It is held by 3 bolts and 2 of they are @#$@# hard to access. They are bolted from inside out so bolts has to be accessed from the rear side of alternator and everything is on the way. Subframe, steering rack, firewall, Exhaust, driveshaft.... and no access from top. Somehow managed to take them off with stubby rachet spanners. And then had to take steering tie rod ball joint out of hub to get the alternator out. So, my boss gave me one of his loan cars for free and told to leave my car in workshop until I get the parts.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
REDDYZ

And Ford quoted $2500 for new alternator which is not in stock and $280 something for voltage regulator.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
baz

Quote:
And Ford quoted $2500 for new alternator which is not in stock and $280 something for voltage regulator.
And have a guess where ford get there stuff,probable the same place your getting yours from, I have a friend that workes for a ford dealership and they get there stuff from Autobarn. Go figure
Old 20-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
REDDYZ

Ordered genuine motorcraft voltage reulator from rockauto last long weekend for $65 delivered. It arrived last Tuesday and my car was up and running by Tuesday evening and drove to canberra on Thursday. My kitty is now resting in Canberra while am driving my sister's Territory. Inbetween did anyone get a chance to check alternator voltage output??. With the new regulator, output is now stable at 14.8volts. I still have a feeling that it should be between 13.8 and 14.8volts, not exactly 14.8 volts. Can anyone check the voltage on your Cougar please?

Old 20-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
baz

Quote:
Ordered genuine motorcraft voltage reulator from rockauto last long weekend for $65 delivered. It arrived last Tuesday and my car was up and running by Tuesday evening and drove to canberra on Thursday. My kitty is now resting in Canberra while am driving my sister's Territory. Inbetween did anyone get a chance to check alternator voltage output??. With the new regulator, output is now stable at 14.8volts. I still have a feeling that it should be between 13.8 and 14.8volts, not exactly 14.8 volts. Can anyone check the voltage on your Cougar please?
Just out of interest Yoga is the regulator separate or built in.Baz
Old 20-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
REDDYZ

Regulator is a small plastic device of matchbox size which bolts on the rear side of alternator. It will have 2 brushes which makes connection between spinning coil and the regulator and transfers current from coil. Its a small piece with diodes inside. Basically regulator controls voltage output. It limits voltage to a maximum of 14.8 volts, it has other functions too like converting DC current, auto cutoff, etc.