Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #61
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lego

DJM83 , How about this eh...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28448597...3ABFBMns2B5cZf

This in perspective and what I do although not in steam shows that Lego can be great value for money .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHrJ8ddx9o .. This is over five years ago too and in U.S. dollars . In Oz this model would be pushing a grand if you could even get it . Athearn Genesis do quite limited model runs and many don't see our shores ..

Horses for courses I think Lego is incredible value for what you get .

Last edited by roddy1960; 08-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #62
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

I was pretty excited when this was announced, then i see the price for what you get. Also the looks arent really that good.

I think this is a much better proposition
https://www.toysrus.com.au/lego-4211...xoC-aoQAvD_BwE
I know its a bit more money, but it looks better has a proper gearbox aswell and its roughly the same scale too.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #63
slowsnake
Banned

Just clicked on the last 2 links and am amazed by these toys??
The size of the Rangerover was a surprise, I was thinking small, until it was put in perspective with the dude assembling it!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you're not a Lego fan you may not have heard of the Great Ball Contraption's.

Fairly mesmerising machines that simply pass balls from one module to another, can be made with enough time, money and patience....(a degree in engineering would help )

This one is somewhat over the top, but you get the idea.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #65
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I was pretty excited when this was announced, then i see the price for what you get. Also the looks arent really that good.

I know its a bit more money, but it looks better has a proper gearbox aswell and its roughly the same scale too.
I have built some massive sets but this one was a big challenge. Reason I don’t like technic, is the pins, after about 200 of them I just had enough.

xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 04:45 PM   #66
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
If you're not a Lego fan you may not have heard of the Great Ball Contraption's.

Fairly mesmerising machines that simply pass balls from one module to another, can be made with enough time, money and patience....(a degree in engineering would help )
Anyone remember the computer game The Incredible Machine?

That reminds me of the Lego version, level 500 on steroids.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #67
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Lego eh...

Here is the bride's contribution...

stumbled across this today.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #68
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Looks amazing...I can't believe how good Lego has become..I only have some simple Meccano and enjoy that periodically to break up my model railwaying a little but Lego is taking construction modeling to a whole new level . I forget the detail but I recall reading somewhere if they could put every Lego block end to end it would reach some incredible distance ..

You might enjoy this about Meccano too .. This is a beautiful piece of engineering from a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUJhLlVSXo

There also is many quite realistic large scale locomotives that move and an incredibly cool Aston Martin DB 9 built from Meccano components that must have taken ages ..and numerous functioning syncro mesh gearboxes and even a Lamborghini V12 engine made from Meccano.

So many great options with Lego though and it's a pure joy to see the Lego stuff you guys do within the Lego community ..Fantastic kits literally for all ages from LEGO especially.

We need more LEGO , Meccano , Erector , R/C of all kinds , model making either moving or static , model railways (my thing I guess) , and similar in our lives .

Great hobbies like these are really important in these troubling times to provide welcome distractions I reckon .

This is a great thread and I hope it remains a really popular one . I'm enjoying it immensely anyway .
Old 09-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #69
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enjoyed browsing this too...re my previous post .

https://www.factretriever.com/lego-facts.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #70
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Thought these couple might generate some interest.

https://www.manlyminiatures.com/
Also really waiting for them to to a 5L Windsor
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #71
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Enjoyed browsing this too...re my previous post .

https://www.factretriever.com/lego-facts.
Quote:
The largest LEGO set ever sold is the Taj Mahal, with 5,922 pieces.
https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/lego-titanic-10294
Might be a little dated, but still some super cool facts in there
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #72
slowsnake
Banned

Am waiting to see the "Flying Scotsman" or similar here in Legoland.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #73
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Looks amazing...I can't believe how good Lego has become..I only have some simple Meccano and enjoy that periodically to break up my model railwaying a little but Lego is taking construction modeling to a whole new level . I forget the detail but I recall reading somewhere if they could put every Lego block end to end it would reach some incredible distance ..

You might enjoy this about Meccano too .. This is a beautiful piece of engineering from a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUJhLlVSXo

There also is many quite realistic large scale locomotives that move and an incredibly cool Aston Martin DB 9 built from Meccano components that must have taken ages ..and numerous functioning syncro mesh gearboxes and even a Lamborghini V12 engine made from Meccano.

So many great options with Lego though and it's a pure joy to see the Lego stuff you guys do within the Lego community ..Fantastic kits literally for all ages from LEGO especially.

We need more LEGO , Meccano , Erector , R/C of all kinds , model making either moving or static , model railways (my thing I guess) , and similar in our lives .

Great hobbies like these are really important in these troubling times to provide welcome distractions I reckon .

This is a great thread and I hope it remains a really popular one . I'm enjoying it immensely anyway .
Try putting 'Lego Trains' into your Youtube search box

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Am waiting to see the "Flying Scotsman" or similar here in Legoland.
Try Googling it, you may be surprised.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #74
slowsnake
Banned

I did google it Gasolane but mainly just "trains" per se, maybe there are models of official lego makers stuff, I think a dude in Australia was made an official registered Lego model maker, and Lego supply all the bits and pieces?.....but could be wrong there, I just remember he made a massive Qantas Jumbo jet from memory, I'm talking large scale models not tabletop!
Old 09-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #75
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did google it Gasolane but mainly just "trains" per se, maybe there are models of official lego makers stuff, I think a dude in Australia was made an official registered Lego model maker, and Lego supply all the bits and pieces?.....but could be wrong there, I just remember he made a massive Qantas Jumbo jet from memory, I'm talking large scale models not tabletop!
this will prob be the biggest youll get and i dont think its a kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INTx4chr-q4

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 09-01-2022 at 01:06 PM.
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #76
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Spent a few hours on the D11T today.
For some reason i cant get into it but alas ill soldier on, its not a bad build by any stretch.
Aussie measurement stick for referance.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-01-2022, 01:55 AM   #77
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Spent a few hours on the D11T today.
For some reason i cant get into it but alas ill soldier on, its not a bad build by any stretch.
Aussie measurement stick for referance.
I’ve got the dozer on the way from Zavvi, got it 30% off, the trade off is I have to wait weeks for it to arrive, as it’s come from over seas.

This is my latest project, wasn’t going to get it, as I’m not a big motorbike fan, but they had one built in the Lego shop and saw how detailed it was..

BMW M 1000 RR

Old 11-01-2022, 07:42 AM   #78
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
I’ve got the dozer on the way from Zavvi, got it 30% off, the trade off is I have to wait weeks for it to arrive, as it’s come from over seas.

This is my latest project, wasn’t going to get it, as I’m not a big motorbike fan, but they had one built in the Lego shop and saw how detailed it was..

BMW M 1000 RR

Im not a bike either but i have the Ducati, enjoyed the build though.
I might get the BMW yet dunno.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #79
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Images were supposed to upload. Bare with me while I figure out how to make it work

Last edited by Adamz Ghia; 11-01-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: No idea what I’m doing!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #80
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Images were supposed to upload. Bare with me while I figure out how to make it work
Try Postimage.

https://postimages.org
Old 11-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #81
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My collection spans from 1979 to today, I claimed my older brothers Lego when I was a toddler and never looked back. The picture of the half build Colosseum doesn’t do the size justice, it’s absolutely huge, and heavy too. All the tubs are full of more sets that I haven’t put back together yet. We’ll be moving this year so once they have their permanent home then I’ll rebuild everything. Meanwhile the unbuilt sets continue to pile up.

There’s more tubs and unbuilt sets that have already been packed up, and more on order, including Titanic. Tell you what though, they’re making the sets more adult and charging adult prices too!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 12:45 AM   #82
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Thought these couple might generate some interest.
https://www.manlyminiatures.com/
Also really waiting for them to to a 5L Windsor
you've just added to my list of debt.

I've built lego on and off my whole life, ended up with big collections, sold them, started again etc. Mainly build technic now. Found a stash in my cupboard from the 80s, Pirate/Space/all kinds of stuff, might be worth something now. I also build the Architecture Skylines kits - have Singapore and Dubai on the way also. These photos really, are, just terrible. In the background of the group car pic you can see part of the Seinfeld set (and a Godzilla cat). A few 1:18s sitting there awaiting panel beating and detailing also. I have the Land Rover Defender partly made (just gearbox etc as pictured) but have been waiting on one of the part 2 bags they left out of the kit to be sent from Denmark.

Time for the worst photos i've ever taken, apologies for that. Also demonstrates my wife's obsession with cookbooks.

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 12:51 AM   #83
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I also want to get the GT500, but it's probably the worst rendition of a car lego has ever made in my opinion. Looks simply astoundingly bad - which makes me want it more.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/f...by-gt500-42138
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #84
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia

My collection spans from 1979 to today, I claimed my older brothers Lego when I was a toddler and never looked back. The picture of the half build Colosseum doesn’t do the size justice, it’s absolutely huge, and heavy too. All the tubs are full of more sets that I haven’t put back together yet. We’ll be moving this year so once they have their permanent home then I’ll rebuild everything. Meanwhile the unbuilt sets continue to pile up.

There’s more tubs and unbuilt sets that have already been packed up, and more on order, including Titanic. Tell you what though, they’re making the sets more adult and charging adult prices too!
Wow thats an impressive collection mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
I also want to get the GT500, but it's probably the worst rendition of a car lego has ever made in my opinion. Looks simply astoundingly bad - which makes me want it more.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/f...by-gt500-42138
Its just so bad, i feel the actual lego team are on holidays at the moment (strictly talking technic) as there isnt anything else id buy thats new.
Id rather order parts and build a MOC
This might be my next truck i reckon.

He is a genius. (i love my trucks as you can see.)

Only 2 of those trucks are lego kits
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #85
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to improve quality of your shelving mate. seriously
Old 12-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #86
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Try Postimage.

https://postimages.org
There it is. Knew it had to end up in this thread at some point!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #87
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

Diagnosed Legonitis ..Prognosis is managable by regular injections of new kits but deemed incurable .. but what a disease to have .

I have the other ailment . Modeltrainitis...similar prognosis , similar treatment .. Associated conditions include R/C Syndrome , Carnuttus/Fourwheeldrive disease , Rod/Reel/Boatitis ,Fordfan Syndrome and several other serious afflictions resulting in prolonged treatments compounded by bouts of enjoyment and achievement to the patient ..

Every time I look at my 50 HO locomotives , 300 plus rolling stock , three or four different Analog or DCC control systems etc etc.. I temper the cost financially that it's only as I can afford it , the sheer fun to build and run.

,Been at model rail for about 20 years now , over that time guessing $20,000 so about $1000 per year or roughly $20 a week ..

Good mate has the same thing with R/C aircraft but is now also into LEGO . Newest aquisition is the Milenium Falcon ..

Go with LEGO .. Can't go wrong .

In the meantime if you have any of these conditions a help and support service of great value and assistance is Australian Ford Forums . This online service provides many consultants and specialists for any concerns from whatever of these diseases affect the patient ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-01-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #88
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
There it is. Knew it had to end up in this thread at some point!
Had to get in before you did
Old 12-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #89
slowsnake
Banned

You lot are all mad!....fruitcakes......nutjobs.....arrg, save me from these people, help, help, help.....
Old 12-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #90
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
You lot are all mad!....fruitcakes......nutjobs.....arrg, save me from these people, help, help, help.....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post