Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #601
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

No step behind the rear wheel for raptor?
Old 06-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #602
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
No step behind the rear wheel for raptor?
No because of the different exhaust, there is no room for the step.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #603
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Hopefully my logic makes sense...
I just think if Ford play it smart and not too greedy they can wipe the opposition until they catch up. If the UK engine plant isn't supplying the US for F-150's anymore they need the orders for the Lion V6 from Australian and global markets for Ranger/Everest or it gets axed I'd assume.
I would be interested to see where it's being built, because South Africa also has V6 diesel production now. Not sure if that is just a local supply addition for them, with the UK plant not being able to supply?

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/ne...uandale-plant/

21,000 V6 engines per year couldn't be anywhere near enough, so it must be additional production capacity.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #604
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I would be interested to see where it's being built, because South Africa also has V6 diesel production now. Not sure if that is just a local supply addition for them, with the UK plant not being able to supply?

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/ne...uandale-plant/

21,000 V6 engines per year couldn't be anywhere near enough, so it must be additional production capacity.
I didn't know that, so does that mean no V6 diesels are built in the UK plant after F-150 option was deleted and Jag/LR switched to their own I6 diesels?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 12:15 PM   #605
Gumboot

How would you rate this v6? Seems like it has reasonably old origins and Land Rover went away from it. What’s its history? Does it use any new innovative design principles?
Is it as good/ better/ worse than the v6 in the current amarok?
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #606
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
How would you rate this v6? Seems like it has reasonably old origins and Land Rover went away from it. What’s its history? Does it use any new innovative design principles?
Others have listed the changes Ford US made to this engine for their F-150 install which I believe improved it's durability. I don't know if JLR used the Ford-upgraded version in their last installs before switching to their own I6 diesels. JLR also used single and twin turbo in their cars as well while Ford iirc used a single turbo in the F-150.

As to better than the VW V6 I can't say but I believe the new Ranger-based Amarok will use the Ford diesel and 10 speed auto. And I've only ever heard very good things about the VW V6. I switched from VW to other brands for vans awhile ago so only got to drive the 4-cylinder Amarok as a loan vehicle.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #607
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I guess the Compacted Graphite Iron block is innovative. The strength of cast iron without most of the weight penalty.

It really is smooth and refined. Hard to pick it as a diesel.

Based on it's LR spec it would easily be on par with the VW V6.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #608
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ford has indicated that the V6 diesel will be an option across the range but no word on the pricing…
It will be interesting to see the split out on who sticks with 2.0 and how many go the V6.
Do we know if its the same trans and running gear between the 2.0 & 3.0?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #609
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Do we know if its the same trans and running gear between the 2.0 & 3.0?
Pretty much, the diff ratios might be taller for the 3.0
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #610
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I believe Ford did make some improvements creating the Powerstroke from the Lion engines.
I found this but I think it refers to the earlier engine:

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...stroke-engine/

Wait till the Journos start calling it old Tech again like they did with the Territory..

But to answer your question this new 3.0 has similar / better power outputs to the BMW engine I drive.
fingers crossed it delivers similar economy
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #611
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pretty much, the diff ratios might be taller for the 3.0
Then hopefully the cost variation only reflects this.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #612
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I believe Ford did make some improvements creating the Powerstroke from the Lion engines.
I found this but I think it refers to the earlier engine:

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...stroke-engine/

Wait till the Journos start calling it old Tech again like they did with the Territory..

But to answer your question this new 3.0 has similar / better power outputs to the BMW engine I drive.
fingers crossed it delivers similar economy
The forged crank and rods are the big news as the Land Rover cast 3.0 cranks had a nasty habit
of cracking on the rear fillet radius of the first rod pair. The earlier 2.7s in Territory were not afflicted
by that problem which many suspected was a machining problem…

The other big news is improved oil pump and oil system that used to shyte its pants at around 160,000 km.
Land Rover paid for the emission upgrades to bring to USA but then switched to own design I-6,
so Ford paid for second round of upgrades and stuck it in F150 but basically told no one it now had a diesel.

Last edited by jpd80; 07-03-2022 at 05:08 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #613
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then hopefully the cost variation only reflects this.
I have an awful feeling that Ford doesn’t think that way…….
Old 07-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #614
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The forged crank and rods are the big news as the Land Rover cast 3.0 cranks had a nasty habit
of cracking on the rear fillet radius of the first rod pair. The earlier 2.7s in Territory were not afflicted

The other big news is improved oil pump and oil system that used to shyte its pants at around 160,000 km.
Land Rover paid for the emission upgrades to bring to USA but then switched to own design I-6,
so Ford paid for second round of upgrades and stuck it in F150 but basically told no one it now had a diesel.
Plus making the 3.5V6 Ecoboost petrol nearly a $USD4000 cheaper option over the diesel means you just wouldn't get your money back in fuel savings unless you drove to the moon and back every month.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #615
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Touched base with my dealer today, still nothing on official pricing/spec. Has anyone else who has a deposit down heard anything?

Have Also heard that the V6 Diesel engine is the Volkswagen sourced one, rather then the ford one from f150. Any truth to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #616
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Touched base with my dealer today, still nothing on official pricing/spec. Has anyone else who has a deposit down heard anything?

Have Also heard that the V6 Diesel engine is the Volkswagen sourced one, rather then the ford one from f150. Any truth to that?

Geez, I hope the dealer staff didn't tell you that...about the V6 that is..it's Ford all the way.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #617
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be funny having a VW salesperson explain the source of their Amarok, the VW designers/engineers worked in a Ford base in Victoria, the engine is a Ford, the transmission is a Ford/GM JV, the body is assembled in a South African Ford plant and we will charge you a premium over the Ford product...hopefully the interior is of VW spec as that's one area I think VW does have it over Ford..or did up to now...,
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #618
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I wonder if the move to stick it into f-150 was solely based on keeping the plant running till Ranger V6 production started, and not having to mothball the line and lay workers off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz

Even after the reveal and Ford telling everyone it is their own V6, people still want to make up rumours. Please tell me it wasn't the dealer who told you that? He should be fired if he knows so little about the product.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #619
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I wonder if the move to stick it into f-150 was solely based on keeping the plant running till Ranger V6 production started, and not having to mothball the line and lay workers off?

Even after the reveal and Ford telling everyone it is their own V6, people still want to make up rumours. Please tell me it wasn't the dealer who told you that? He should be fired if he knows so little about the product.
Same thing happened with the old 3.2. I had a number of people swear to me that it was a Volvo engine because it had 5 cylinders.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #620
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even though the 2.7 Ecoboost was very successful in F150, the Ram Ecodiesel claiming
best in class fuel economy was a challenge Ford couldn’t ignore. The problem was that
they just couldn’t match the Ram’s fuel economy and once GM delivered its 3.0 I-6 diesel
with even better economy, there was nothing to be gained..

I think/hope that the new V6 diesel Ranger/Everest are in “clean air” for about a year or so
because that may be all it takes to get “noticed” by the market and increase sales to next level.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-03-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:56 PM   #621
JKL

Demand is there and the wait I expect will be long one sales person has 60 expressions of interest on next gen rangers, still no ability to order until pricing and specs released. On top of that the dealership has 18 rangers to sell until next gen arrives, this probably does not include those already sold and waiting to be delivered.. interest is very high!
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #622
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Plus making the 3.5V6 Ecoboost petrol nearly a $USD4000 cheaper option over the diesel means you just wouldn't get your money back in fuel savings unless you drove to the moon and back every month.
Well you could say the same thing about V6 petrol Utes in our market vs the higher priced diesels
that 99% of people chose. People just got sick of the day to day cost of petrol Utes and preferred
to pay more at point of sale, convinced that fuel savings plus higher resales were real world fact.

Aussie and American vehicle/engine preferences are different enough but maybe V6 EB wins some..
Old 08-03-2022, 11:12 PM   #623
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wasn’t the dealer who said that for clarification. I assumed it was the ford V6 Diesel but missed the confirmation on where ford actually said it. I heard it from a mate who is normally pretty clued in to this type of thing. When he said it, it didn’t make sense to me (why would ford use a vw engine when they have the perfect engine on house) which is why I thought I’d run it past the brains trust in here…

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #624
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been impatiently trolling Facebook for new info and images on the new Ranger and it would appear that Ford Thailand are doing the Ranger sales launch at the Thailand motor show commencing 23rd March.

Not sure how accurate this is but I've seen this mentioned a couple of times by what appears to be Ford dealer staff who are on Ranger training.

Also a new video on the Ranger showing some of the safety features.

https://youtu.be/Jz0DaFzQlFU
Old 16-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #625
portokatsiki

Next door neighbour came home tonight with a LHD raptor, in camouflage wrap. Interior was almost as good as Audi quality. Centre screen as big as a Tesla one. Drivers cluster had the Built Tough video when turning on. Asked him about the motor he said quote twin turbo v6 petrol unquote.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #626
Gumboot

Went to the Brisbane 4x4 show today.
Surprised Ford did not have the new Ranger or Raptor on display.
I think a missed opportunity. Lot of people there and even Ineos had the unreleased Grenadier there.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #627
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Any talk from those in the know when we might get some official pricing on the next Gen?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #628
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Any talk from those in the know when we might get some official pricing on the next Gen?
I am on a waiting list with a holding deposit. Got an update 2 weeks ago from dealer, apparently dealer allocations and specs March, pricing April and first deliveries in June.

Ford Thailand launched the Ranger, Raptor and Everest yesterday with local specs and pricing.

Don't understand why Ford Australia are delaying so much.
Old 23-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #629
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Full details including dealer allocations next week.
According to my dealer I can have mine delivered prior to June 30.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2022, 08:11 PM   #630
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Full details including dealer allocations next week.
According to my dealer I can have mine delivered prior to June 30.
Did your dealer say anything about when pricing details will be released?

What trim are you getting?