Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
dr19482
Starter Motor

Default Ford Fiesta 2004 1.6L only turns off when driving on the freeway

My ford fiesta 2004 1.6l has had a problem with the speedometer since I have owned it.

Most of the time it is working just fine and then sometimes it stays at zero or displays the wrong speed. I can usually fix it by resetting the speedometer by accessing the instrument cluster diagnosis menu via the button on the cluster.
The RPM section of the cluster works fine with no issues.
If I drive on the freeway after about 10-15 minutes of constant driving the needle on the speedo side will drop to zero, the rpm needle will continue displaying the RPMs and then after about 10 seconds, the car will turn off on me. I can then immediately clutch in and turn the car back on and continue driving the car.
I had the alternator and battery tested and they are both working perfectly. The cooling system is also fine.
Could this be a sensor that's causing the car to turn off?
This doesn't happen when I'm driving around town just on the freeway where you are constantly driving.
I had a mechanic look at it and because he couldn't replicate the problem or grab any codes from the car he told me he thinks its electrical.
Other forum posts and people think it's the VSS sensor being the culprit?
Sometimes when I go over a speedbump it can cause the speed to go out by 20kmph. But when I turn the car on and off again it will sometimes work again?

Also for what it is worth I wrote down all the cluster codes that the test mode allows me to see.
When it tests the gauges both of the needles don't move and I hear a grinding sound coming from the cluster (I don't know if that's normal).
EE FAIL

EE 85
dtc none

https://streamable.com/un3hd2

here is the video of the cluster sound.

Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited by dr19482; 07-06-2021 at 11:57 AM. Reason: adding video
dr19482 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
b weetman
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Fiesta 2004 1.6L only turns off when driving on the freeway

Can’t help but I have a similar problem with my 2007 fiesta. Engine cuts out in 5th gear at 2200 revs under load. Turn it off and it starts no problem. I know the exact spot it happens when climbing the expressway. Engine warning light is on but I haven’t extracted a code yet
b weetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post