Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2022, 03:54 PM   #1291
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Looks very similar to a heavy duty canvas tool bag I'm currently using. Maybe mines not as flash
I am a big fan of canvas over modern synthetic materials. Canvas may be heavy but it's durability, repairability and overall low cost makes up for any of it's shortcomings.

I have used a cheap canvas bag/haversack regularly for the last eight years or so to carry a water bottle, food and a book to read when travelling on public transport. It's seen me through, that's for sure.

Type of canvas bag I refer to: https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/haversack-wh1.html

I use this type (and other similar bags) to store/carry tools, parts and consumables in the boot of my car. They don't rattle around like metal or plastic tool boxes and I can easily sling all of the bags over my shoulders if I ever need to.

Another bonus is that people may mistakenly believe the bags are filled with high-explosives (WWII commando style), so that could be a theft deterrent?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #1292
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I am a big fan of canvas over modern synthetic materials. Canvas may be heavy but it's durability, repairability and overall low cost makes up for any of it's shortcomings.

I have used a cheap canvas bag/haversack regularly for the last eight years or so to carry a water bottle, food and a book to read when travelling on public transport. It's seen me through, that's for sure.

Type of canvas bag I refer to: https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/haversack-wh1.html

I use this type (and other similar bags) to store/carry tools, parts and consumables in the boot of my car. They don't rattle around like metal or plastic tool boxes and I can easily sling all of the bags over my shoulders if I ever need to.

Another bonus is that people may mistakenly believe the bags are filled with high-explosives (WWII commando style), so that could be a theft deterrent?
Yep, they're the ones I use for my tools. Perfect for tungsten chisels, only mine have the small end pockets as well. The canvas protects their edges nicely, hammers don't "Clink" while walking and the pockets are great for scribes, ochre pieces and scutch combs.

Years ago these were once popular for camping and the good old canvas water bag hooked onto the chrome bumpers nicely.
Water usually tasted cool and sweet even on the hottest days.
Those plastic drink containers we use now at work usually taint after a couple of weeks use.

Last edited by roKWiz; 16-03-2022 at 06:53 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2022, 10:51 PM   #1293
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in my day they were a popular school bag, so they were my first tool bag when I started working as well.
The only reason why I stopped using them is they get filthy and start tearing when being dragged through ceiling spaces. I switched to a black one with side pockets for a while, then eventually found a tool bag with shoulder straps I switched to in the 2000s.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #1294
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Yep, they're the ones I use for my tools. Perfect for tungsten chisels, only mine have the small end pockets as well. The canvas protects their edges nicely, hammers don't "Clink" while walking and the pockets are great for scribes, ochre pieces and scutch combs.

Years ago these were once popular for camping and the good old canvas water bag hooked onto the chrome bumpers nicely.
Those plastic drink containers we use now at work usually taint after a couple of weeks use.
I'm only 29 but have spent enough time in the "country" to have seen those water bags you speak of. I remember asking my dad what they were as a kid in fact.

The canvas on my Darche swag is incredible stuff. It would take a lot to convince me to choose a swag made from synthetic materials over good quality canvas.

It's actually a relief to know I'm not the only person that prefers carrying their tools around in canvas bags. Another benefit of this system is that I have marked my bags with distinctive symbols which makes it harder for thieves to steal them and slip away discreetly.

It would be hard for some random person to explain why they have my family's coat of arms on their bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
The only reason why I stopped using them is they get filthy and start tearing when being dragged through ceiling spaces.
That is very true. These bags are hard to keep clean - once dirt gets into the fibres of the canvas... good luck.
Old 17-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #1295
Trevor 57
is now there

Just reserved my site for Fraser Island in September
Old 17-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #1296
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I had one of these in school. Later used it for TAFE. Back in the late 90’s a mate and I did an outback motor bike trip through NSW,QLD and SA. Prior to leaving we got a motor trimmer to stitch the straps of two bags together to make saddle bags. They comfortably fit a 5L lawnmower petrol can for extra fuel. In the end pockets you can put a shoe in each and 600ml water bottles.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 10:55 PM   #1297
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I forgot to mention. Prior to my trip to Yorkes I splashed out on a Ryobi 18V Cordless chainsaw with batteries and chargers mainly because we had to clear some branches and shrubs to clear a path and camp spot, but also for home use for my fireplace. Also went and bought a 160w solar panel kit from BCF to give my 100aH Deep Cycle Battery a tickle if it needed it. Then went and grabbed a myCOOLMAN 53L dual zone fridge/freezer and portable battery pack. It's something Ive always wanted and it performed superbly with the DZ fridge. Looking forward to more trips with this setup now.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 11:46 PM   #1298
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I bet you were glad to have made those purchases once you actually made it out to the peninsula. I camped out at mozzie bay a couple months ago - good spot and decent beach for swimming. Will be "walking the yorke" (all the way) sometime this year.
Old 18-03-2022, 12:55 AM   #1299
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I forgot to mention. Prior to my trip to Yorkes I splashed out on a Ryobi 18V Cordless chainsaw with batteries and chargers mainly because we had to clear some branches and shrubs to clear a path and camp spot, but also for home use for my fireplace. Also went and bought a 160w solar panel kit from BCF to give my 100aH Deep Cycle Battery a tickle if it needed it. Then went and grabbed a myCOOLMAN 53L dual zone fridge/freezer and portable battery pack. It's something Ive always wanted and it performed superbly with the DZ fridge. Looking forward to more trips with this setup now.
Similar to what I was thinking of last year, solar, battery and inverter for chargers and otherwise USB, removable solar and fridge from kogan. I did so many visits to retailers selling that type of stuff I ended up with a job ;)
And they gave me a store to run on my own already in ozzie park (Perth). Locals in the know should come by and educate me as I'm so new to this. E: Less embarrassing if a FF member does it than a customer expecting me to know everything, as the regulars here know how clueless I sometimes am
Old 18-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #1300
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I bet you were glad to have made those purchases once you actually made it out to the peninsula. I camped out at mozzie bay a couple months ago - good spot and decent beach for swimming. Will be "walking the yorke" (all the way) sometime this year.
Mate, it just the trip a lot easier. Stinking hot day and the chainsaw made mince meat out of anything smaller than 200mm diameter. Then after working up a sweat for about 4hrs straight, grabbing a cold one from the fridge made it all the sweeter. Turned an arduous task into a bearable one.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-03-2022, 10:57 AM   #1301
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Similar to what I was thinking of last year, solar, battery and inverter for chargers and otherwise USB, removable solar and fridge from kogan. I did so many visits to retailers selling that type of stuff I ended up with a job ;)
And they gave me a store to run on my own already in ozzie park (Perth). Locals in the know should come by and educate me as I'm so new to this. E: Less embarrassing if a FF member does it than a customer expecting me to know everything, as the regulars here know how clueless I sometimes am
It was something that always ran through my mind ever since I got the deep cycle battery. Just means I dont need to run anderson plugs in the car, but if I wanted to get a dual cab later, I can get a DCDC charger and mount the panels on the ute or whatever for continuous charge.

BCF had a special for members for the XTM 160w panel kit for $219. I had a $20 gift voucher which I used and got them for under $200.

Bear in mind this isnt the solar blanket, but rather the hard folding panels. I have heard they seem to last a bit longer than the blanket despite the weight and inconvenient size.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #1302
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I meant to say mozzie flat in my earlier post. I don't know why I said mozzie bay.
Old 24-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #1303
roKWiz
Cabover nut

As with previous vans over the years.
Needed to stay onsite overnight on a small job out in the boonies last week so decided to try the XF out for a change. Took the butane cooker, billy, snags, etc the old steel esky I've owned for a zillion years and just slid it all in the back with the mattress. Can honestly say it was a comfy's night sleep the van wasn't really set up for.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #1304
Trevor 57
is now there

We just got back from 10 days in Victor Harbour S.A. We stayed at a caravan park which is a bit unusual for us. We did lots of day trips with a couple of 'rest days' thrown im
Old 07-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #1305
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We just got back from 10 days in Victor Harbour S.A. We stayed at a caravan park which is a bit unusual for us. We did lots of day trips with a couple of 'rest days' thrown im
So it was you Trev!
I say that because I too was in Victor Harbor in the last week and saw this older grumpy looking guy displaying sound vehicle control, positioning and correct use of indicators.
I thought, that might be Trev..

Only joking mate, its a nice part of the world down 'round those parts, inparticular Pt Elliot's Horseshoe Bay, hope you had a good time.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #1306
Trevor 57
is now there

was I abusing people, coz I do that really well

Horseshoe bay is magnificent, there was virtually no-one there, we couldn't believe it, if that bay was in Sydney . . . . . . . .

Did Birdwood, Hahndorf, Cape Jervis, Goolwa and a cruise to the Mouth of the Murray. Did the horse drawn tram, cruised around some southern Adelaide suburbs. caught up with my wife's cousin in Adelaide, went to some flower farm
Old 07-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #1307
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
was I abusing people, coz I do that really well

Horseshoe bay is magnificent, there was virtually no-one there, we couldn't believe it, if that bay was in Sydney . . . . . . . .

Did Birdwood, Hahndorf, Cape Jervis, Goolwa and a cruise to the Mouth of the Murray. Did the horse drawn tram, cruised around some southern Adelaide suburbs. caught up with my wife's cousin in Adelaide, went to some flower farm
Sounds like you did more in 10 days than I've done in 30 years of living here
Old 10-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #1308
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So with a camping trip scheduled for the Easter weekend I've been busy updating my dual battery install which is to include a fixed mount solar panel on the canopy roof.
I decided to go with a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on the low profile legs and a 160w panel.
With the panel mounted across the platform it'll leave some space for other accessories.
One of the salesmen I was discussing my needs with mentioned they had a deal on with free recovery track mounts with a platform purchase.
He then said it wouldnt really be necessary for me though as I only have a high rider.
I thought this was a strange comment as although I didnt buy it with the intention of 4wding, surely a set of 2 tracks to compliment the rear locker would be a worthwhile addition incase I find myself needing a bit more traction.
So what do you guys think, are recovery tracks a worthwhile addition on a 2wd vehicle?
Old 10-04-2022, 03:38 PM   #1309
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So with a camping trip scheduled for the Easter weekend I've been busy updating my dual battery install which is to include a fixed mount solar panel on the canopy roof.
I decided to go with a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on the low profile legs and a 160w panel.
With the panel mounted across the platform it'll leave some space for other accessories.
One of the salesmen I was discussing my needs with mentioned they had a deal on with free recovery track mounts with a platform purchase.
He then said it wouldnt really be necessary for me though as I only have a high rider.
I thought this was a strange comment as although I didnt buy it with the intention of 4wding, surely a set of 2 tracks to compliment the rear locker would be a worthwhile addition incase I find myself needing a bit more traction.
So what do you guys think, are recovery tracks a worthwhile addition on a 2wd vehicle?
I reckon they would be great,realistically a rear locker on a 2nd is nearly as good as standard diffs on a 4wd.Plenty of times I have seen 4wds stranded rocking on a mound with opposite corner wheels spinning in mid air,so if you can get a bit more traction it has to help
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #1310
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I decided to go with a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on the low profile legs
Did you find it is the bin?
So many people are buying rooftop tents that they're chucking those things away these days. I could have got you a free one, in exchange for helping to actually install a roof top tent.
I've got a few people trying to get rid of them in order to pick up their RTT soon. One definite tomorrow, 2 paid a deposit and still waiting to get 3x crossbars fitted.

More weight helps traction too, so a RTT is the way to go

Of course any recovery track is very useful for 2wd as well.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #1311
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Did you find it is the bin?
So many people are buying rooftop tents that they're chucking those things away these days. I could have got you a free one, in exchange for helping to actually install a roof top tent.
I've got a few people trying to get rid of them in order to pick up their RTT soon. One definite tomorrow, 2 paid a deposit and still waiting to get 3x crossbars fitted.

More weight helps traction too, so a RTT is the way to go

Of course any recovery track is very useful for 2wd as well.
Now why didnt I think of that, 5400km round trip added to the odometer, possibly get 8.5's out of the Ranger, multiply that by $2/litre and im saving about $40 on a new one, makes sense..
I'll be right over.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #1312
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh come on, you didn't have to take it that way. It was just an observation by me on the amount of people buying RTT from me and getting rid of full roof racks. I'm sure that move is popular nationally too (no idea where your located.)

Not intended to insult your purchase, I've just been flat out helping get rid of them.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #1313
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Oh come on, you didn't have to take it that way. It was just an observation by me on the amount of people buying RTT from me and getting rid of full roof racks. I'm sure that move is popular nationally too (no idea where your located.)

Not intended to insult your purchase, I've just been flat out helping get rid of them.
Yeah I was just takin' the ****.
Old 23-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #1314
prydey
Rob

Taking our new (to us) van out for its first trip. Just down to wirrina.

Stopped off for a quick bite at yankalilla bakery on the way

Couldn't get where we normally set up so had to try somewhere different. Thankfully the sites are very generous here and plenty of room.

As is often the case it's quite windy here and it's great not having to worry about the canvas walls blowing in.
Old 25-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #1315
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Taking our new (to us) van out for its first trip. Just down to wirrina.

Stopped off for a quick bite at yankalilla bakery on the way

Couldn't get where we normally set up so had to try somewhere different. Thankfully the sites are very generous here and plenty of room.

As is often the case it's quite windy here and it's great not having to worry about the canvas walls blowing in.
Nice Rob, tell us about the van, what specs/features does it have?

I just spent the best part of the last 2 weeks in Barmera. Knocked off work on the 8th and spent 4 days finishing off my new roof rack and battery install then hooked up the Nephews camper trailer and headed for Lake Bonney on the 13th.
Arrived there to find the free camp sites at the far end of the lake already overflowing so we're lucky enough to jag a Premium grass site on the foreshore at the Discovery Park in town, the park was packed and it was the last site available.
Spent the next 4 days there watching the boats and Jetski's getting about and asking plenty of questions of their owners.
I've been contemplating buying either another boat or a ski for a few years now so it was good to just sit and watch what was providing the most fun and finding out the pro's and cons of quite a few different combinations.
Too late in the season to buy right now but will have something sorted in the off season when prices settle ready for next year, definitely leaning towards a ski.

Got home on Easter Sunday and said to the Wife lets go up again next weekend and take our parents so we booked 3 nights in the motel and away we went.
Had another great weekend in perfect conditions, even managed to convince the Wife that Barmera should be our regular short stay destination and that it really requires a jet ski for maximum enjoyment.

Thats probably it for me for camping for a while, with the house build under way and a few toys on the shopping list its head down **** up at work to make it all happen in the near future.
Old 25-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #1316
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Some pics of Barmera and the recent additions and upgrades to the Ranger..

https://i.postimg.cc/mrZtMsXG/20220415-065405.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2SXkmSV/20220415-065423.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Kj1TT2YY/20220415-065510.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqYxqX6W/20220415-174448.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26QHbnV6/20220414-132807-1.jpg

Out with the old..
https://i.postimg.cc/nh9tPwXQ/20220411-160243.jpg

In with the new..
https://i.postimg.cc/j5smt8Sc/20220425-121407.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wTsf8KkH/20220425-121420.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/05SWhRnv/20220425-120349.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RZZTSj7N/20220425-120334.jpg

My original setup had the Arkpak mounted on the fridge slide behind the fridge and would slide out with the fridge, as the new setup was to be hard wired for constant charging I wanted to keep the length of cabling to a minimum to reduce the voltage drop so I fabricated a battery tray to sit over the slide with legs bolted to the tub floor.

My Arkpak decided it had done enough work and had a melt down so I replaced it with a Thumper Extreme from Home Of 12v which came as a plug and play kit with Redarc 25a DC charger capable of auto switching between solar and alt. charging depending on conditions.
This box has a switch which overrides the smart charger to give full charge when you want it, it can be switched back to normal when not needed to improve fuel economy.
I then fabricated a panel for the side of the tub to conceal the wiring and added a control box for ease of access to switching and power supply.
My 130ah battery hasn't dropped below 95% since the upgrade

I also added a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform to the canopy with a 120w fixed solar panel and a set of Maxtrax.
Still to come is a set of work lights for the rear and sides of the platform, an awning, some LED mood lighting in the tub and the backbone and Pioneer platform for the cabin roof with light bar which will have to wait until the hail damage has been repaired next month.
Old 26-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #1317
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Nice Rob, tell us about the van, what specs/features does it have?
Its a 2013 Jayco expanda 14.44-4. Basic van, just kitchen and bed, which is what we wanted. More info here

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11493500

Had a good weekend apart from dealing with a bulging disc at the base of my spine at the moment (l5 s1) and resulting sciatic issues and gluteous pain. Makes it hard to relax when you feel 100 years old, struggling to do anything. Having a van with minimal set up certainly makes it a lot easier to deal with.
Old 26-04-2022, 08:55 PM   #1318
prydey
Rob

Some large critters down there. Went for a walk and this guy wasn't the least bit bothered by me. The feeling wasn't mutual. I chickened out and went behind a fence to get past, which wouldn't have offered any protection but more of a psychological barrier.

Went back later and he was still there and still not the slightest bit intimidated by a human. I got as close as I dared (yes, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat). He checked me out for a bit then carried on eating.

This is where we normally camp. It was already booked this weekend. Luckily for all concerned the group that was on that site had left already.
Old 21-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #1319
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a project I am working on, non camping, where would I start looking for a 90* only batwing awning?
Old 21-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #1320
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
For a project I am working on, non camping, where would I start looking for a 90* only batwing awning?
Don't really know but maybe a big box Anaconda, BFC type store.