Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #1591
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Helped a relative out that lost everything in the Lismore floods.

Found out yesterday she took my money and everyone along for a ride, scammed a guy selling a car with her sob story, fitted rego plates off her waterlogged falcon and then drove to Victoria !!

Commonwealth bank even gave her $1000 so between her and her ex and all the lies she has told us they seem to have done well out of this Natural Disaster thanks to the government and peoples good nature.

She called me this morning like nothing was wrong or had ever happened ??

Turns out she left all her meds behind as well as her pets and personal belongings that survived and now wants her mum to post the meds and clothes and birds ( LOL ) down to her in victoria.

I had no idea she has issues, but i will not be ever helping her again !

I guess sometimes tough love is the only solution...
You lose a lot of respect for people like that. Disgusting act

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #1592
Tratado Injustamente
Banned

I'm now a BeyondBlue volunteer.

Extremely excited about it.

My story an hopefully help others.....
Tratado Injustamente is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2022, 03:58 PM   #1593
Tratado Injustamente
Banned

I've been in a wheelchair for 9 weeks after a nasty fall on wet tiles.

Fractured my shoulder in 7 places and split my ankle basically in half.

Full of screws and plates now but could have been worse hey? (at least that line of thinking keeps me positive)

I've been in all sorts of bad places in last two years (been in suicide ward 4 times) so hopefully I can use my experience to help others as much as I am I guess.

Hope everyone is well and PM me anytime. Talking helps even if I can't personally help but I'll try.

Chris (Merc)
Tratado Injustamente is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #1594
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
I hope you are all doing ok. Id like to talk about a close mate of mine whom i had known since i was 7 years old.
We went to the same Primary School and the Same High School and still remain close after all these years.

He had a stress full Job he was a Police Officer for 30 years until he retired about 4 years ago.
He had seen some shocking things as a cop for thirty years and he talks to Beyond Blue from time to time.

We knock the cops, but thats one job i wouldn't want not after hearing some of the story's my mates told me.
There's help out there for every one its just a phone call away guy's if you need to chat with some body.

I remember telling a lady friend of mine who at the time was going thru a divorce "there's all way's somebody worse off then you and doing it tougher then you".

So guy's and girl's stay safe, keep well, and if you need a person to chat too and you can't find a friend, pick up that Phone Beyond Blue is just a call away.

thanks guys
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 07:42 PM   #1595
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Sitting here and quietly reminiscing on the past 12 months, was exactly 1 year ago to the hour that I received the words from my best mates Doctor that he had only hours to live, he fought a short but brave battle and was gone 57hrs later.
They say time flies when you're having fun, well 12 months has flown bye but its been anything but fun.

Love you Brother
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #1596
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Sitting here and quietly reminiscing on the past 12 months, was exactly 1 year ago to the hour that I received the words from my best mates Doctor that he had only hours to live, he fought a short but brave battle and was gone 57hrs later.
They say time flies when you're having fun, well 12 months has flown bye but its been anything but fun.

Love you Brother
We all go.

Remember the good times while you can.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #1597
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The more a come across stuff like this, the more things makes sense as to how and why anxiety affects me.

I have to say, most in this image is me, save for the drinking.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #1598
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

A few more I came across today........

Me all over -

This consumes far too much of my time -

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #1599
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Burn-out, no not that kind of burnout, is the byproduct of modern society and ancestral body responses.

I worked myself into the ground in my 20's, I would feel like a failure if I did not give everything 400% effort and say yes to everyone and everything. All of that caught up with me in my late 20's. I have a strong suspicion that the chronic pain that developed at age 28 has a lot to do with mental and physical stress. Combine that with anxiety, I have been to afraid to make large changes to address this. As a consolation, I have learnt so much about depression and anxiety and how that interacts with the pain response.

This Podcast about burn-out is worth a listen. It delves into what burn-out is, why it develops and how it is created in the body.

Burnout with Connor Franta -

"Burnout: You’ve read about it. You’ve heard about it. Heck, you’re probably living it. And you’ve probably tried everything to fix it. Levels of burnout are reaching new all-time highs, every single day. And the pandemic has only made things worse. This new series, hosted by Connor Franta, looks into how society reached a burning point and what we can do - really, actually do - to break the cycle. With his signature wit and charm, Connor explores the story of burnout, discovers how it affects your body and mind, and looks at why the easy solutions simply won’t work to solve a systemic problem."

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/867-burnout-96455208/
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...a/id1620580292
Mustang GT

Old 20-05-2022, 11:30 AM   #1600
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve been interested to read about a proposal for PBS listing of a different, additional, treatment for depression by use of a nasal spray that incorporates a chemical called esketamine.

Two articles from different angles:
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #1601
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve been interested to read about a proposal for PBS listing of a different, additional, treatment for depression by use of a nasal spray that incorporates a chemical called esketamine.

Two articles from different angles:
Definitely only a treatment for the most severe of depressions when you look at the requirements of administration, Its quite involved with having to avoid eating for 2hrs prior, book a doctors appointment and then be monitored for side effects for up to 90 minutes afterwards, you've got to commit a good portion of your day and then there's probably restrictions on driving etc. due to being a sedative and possibly the need for someone to assist you to and from.
Its hard enough at the moment to get a Dr's appointment once every few months for a traditional prescription for oral medication, imagine if people are clogging up clinics once or twice a week for up to 2 hrs for a 30 second nasal spray.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #1602
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I would hope that if it were introduced, the government allowed pharmacies to dispense repeats, like some S8 addiction treatments.
Old 21-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #1603
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #1604
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The second episode of Burnout dropped a couple of days ago -

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...=1000561745992

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/867-b...rned-97001782/
Mustang GT

Old 04-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #1605
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have spent far too many of my 35 years pandering to what other people expect or want. I have had people snigger at what makes me happy, disapprove of my life choices, tell me what I should be doing with MY life and had to put up with disrespecting and ignorant comments with regards to how I live. Well...............

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #1606
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have spent far too many of my 35 years pandering to what other people expect or want. I have had people snigger at what makes me happy, disapprove of my life choices, tell me what I should be doing with MY life and had to put up with disrespecting and ignorant comments with regards to how I live. Well...............

100000% Get this message into your subconscious, you'll live a happy life.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #1607
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
100000% Get this message into your subconscious, you'll live a happy life.
I'm getting better at it, not an easy thing to re-train a thought process.
Mustang GT

Old 04-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #1608
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm getting better at it, not an easy thing to re-train a thought process.
Awareness is the first step. Its not easy to reprogram your brain after its been programmed to think a certain way for 30+ years. Good professionals can help speed up the process though.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #1609
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Awareness is the first step. Its not easy to reprogram your brain after its been programmed to think a certain way for 30+ years. Good professionals can help speed up the process though.
I see someone about once a month, the last couple of sessions have made me think about certain things in a competitively different manner. Small things and small steps, but worthwhile.
Mustang GT

Old 16-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #1610
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Hi all, just checking in. Not much to report.

Joined a gym this week mainly for mental health but also improve my self confidence and physical appearance.

I'm still going through legal battles with my younger siblings regarding my late fathers estate. That's been the biggest PITA Ive ever encountered and it has caused a huge rift in the family.

Other than that, Ive been concentrating on other things and haven't had a lot of time to dwell on myself too much. Kind of a good thing and a bad thing.

Trying to cut down alcohol consumption too. It's been my crutch since dad passed but I need to learn to change my mindset instead of reaching for the bottle. Small steps at this point, but I have to start somewhere.

Hope everyone else is coping ok

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #1611
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

All power to you blueoval, positive of the mind mate don't let self doubt cloud your positive path, its a journey and I want to will to see light at the end of it all......
Glad you came a knockin.

I'm 50/50 inside that others that know me in my circles wouldn't have a clue what I'm battling daily the last months more so let alone longer.
I'm trying to keep positive but I'm actually in quick sand.
I can't show my kids despite being older now that I'm going through challenges but I know they see more than I like.
Anyway onwards and forwards.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 09:36 PM   #1612
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Tough day today. Attended the funeral of a past colleague and friend who finally succumbed to his mental health demons after a tough couple of year battle. Tragically, he had attempted to do the right thing by seeking some mental first aid at the hospital, but they apparently turned him away. He decided he couldn't cope any longer and decided to end his pain.

I knew he was a very clever guy. So clever, he was often misunderstood. But, he was not only academically smart, today I found out he was also musically talented, being able to play just about any instrument competently, having a passion for playing the piano. He was also a skilled sportsman, especially anything with a steady hand, like shooting or archery. To top it off, he was also skilled in the arts, being a fantastic drawer and an accomplished and talented photographer. He had also done some acting in plays etc. A man of many talents.

The hardest part to deal with tho, was how impacted his family was. Understandably, his four kids, his two brothers, his parents, his nieces and nephews were all distraught. The impact of his loss was devastating.

So, please, if you're considering ending your life, please know you are loved for who you are. If you reach out for help, and don't get what you need, keep trying until you get the help you need. The impact of your decision will be felt far and wide.

RIP Simon, you will be sadly missed my friend. Whilst I don't believe in God and the afterlife, if there's any chance that is true, I look forward to the day that we can both get out our guitars and jam.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 13-07-2022 at 09:55 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #1613
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Tough day today. Attended the funeral of a past colleague and friend who finally succumbed to his mental health demons after a tough couple of year battle. Tragically, he had attempted to do the right thing by seeking some mental first aid at the hospital, but they apparently turned him away. He decided to
I'm so sorry to hear that. Dealt with something similar a few months ago, its really sad to know that some have nowhere else to turn.

This is a story I have heard a couple of times over the last few months, hospitals turning away people in urgent need of mental health assistance.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 10:03 PM   #1614
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that. Dealt with something similar a few months ago, its really sad to know that some have nowhere else to turn.

This is a story I have heard a couple of times over the last few months, hospitals turning away people in urgent need of mental health assistance.
Thanks DFB. Unfortunately, my fat fingers accidentally posted the post part way through drafting it, so I went back to finish it. I hope you've had a chance to reaf the complete story.

Yes, it is surprisingly common. A work colleagues wife is a psychologist, and professionally assesses someone as needing some immediate mental support, so advises them to go to the local hospital. They are regularly turned away. Her response to my ex colleagues situation was that it is medical treatment 101 for that hospital. Very disappointing and concerning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #1615
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

There really seem to be a lot of mental health struggles going on. I went to watch the latest ‘ring video from Auto Addiction and there’s a frontispiece about how one of the co-founders has just suicided.
Old 14-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #1616
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
There really seem to be a lot of mental health struggles going on. I went to watch the latest ‘ring video from Auto Addiction and there’s a frontispiece about how one of the co-founders has just suicided.
I'd like to think that it's mostly because the stigma associated with mental illness is being broken down and people are more comfortable to share the associated incidents than they were in the past, and we're not just trying to sweep the problem under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist.

Like any problem, the first step is to recognise there's a problem. Then you can begin to fix it.

But, you're probably right, in that it's, at least, a combination of factors, including, possibly, more people suffering mental illness issues. I'm sure the whole pandemic hasn't helped that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #1617
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm undertaking a Mental Health First Aid course for work. Currently doing the online study prior to the face to face session late next week.

A stat on suicides that surprised me:

Males accounted for 76% of suicides.

Among males, the highest rate of suicide was in those aged 85 years and over, while the lowest was in those aged under 19 years.

I know we have a large male cohort on these forums. Gents, you are more likely to suicide than your female partners, relatives and friends. And, if you're in an older cohort, you're more likely again.

Please, please talk to someone if you are feeling depressed or considering suicide. Rest assured, you're not the only one to feel this way. It is far more common than you think. And most people are able to overcome their depression and return to having a healthy mental condition, especially after seeking help.

Look after yourselves and your mates around you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #1618
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm undertaking a Mental Health First Aid course for work. Currently doing the online study prior to the face to face session late next week.

A stat on suicides that surprised me:

Males accounted for 76% of suicides.

Among males, the highest rate of suicide was in those aged 85 years and over, while the lowest was in those aged under 19 years.

I know we have a large male cohort on these forums. Gents, you are more likely to suicide than your female partners, relatives and friends. And, if you're in an older cohort, you're more likely again.

Please, please talk to someone if you are feeling depressed or considering suicide. Rest assured, you're not the only one to feel this way. It is far more common than you think. And most people are able to overcome their depression and return to having a healthy mental condition, especially after seeking help.

Look after yourselves and your mates around you.
I'm guessing this because older males feel they can't talk about depression. It's something I have found working with an older generation of males, they just ignore it.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #1619
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm guessing this because older males feel they can't talk about depression.
^good point!

Maybe they're depressed because all their friends are dead and they got no kids, or even worse, have buried their own child ( nothing worse IMO ).

When I can remember I start-up a convo with a random old *&^&. It makes them feel alive again in such a fast-paced world. But do it in a positive way so it makes them talk about their good old days. You can instantly see from their expressions they look and sound younger.

Hopefully I'm gonna be an old &*&^ one day.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #1620
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is me all bar one of those signs...........

Mustang GT

2 users like this post: