Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #1
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default WT Fiesta - added fog lamps later

The car came with the standard blank-outs. I ordered lights and bezels and the wiring was there and clicked into place. The button on the RHS of the dash is there, but no lights happening. I have checked and all fuses are in place.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: WT Fiesta - added fog lamps later

Hi. If it existing button it may be for rear fog light. you will still need to add a switch for front fog lights. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. If it existing button it may be for rear fog light. you will still need to add a switch for front fog lights. Cheers MD
It's definitely the front light switch Michael according to the manual. The rear fog lamp switch is not present.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm wondering if it isn't a function controlled by the GEM which needs to be enabled?

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be interested to know what that button does? I believe that in the NA market, it may activate a "parking light" feature???

But the short answer to your question, is that no, it's not simply plug'n'play. Even though the looms are present, they are disabled.

I've heard various theories on getting around this. Apparently there are "simple" ways of bypassing, and/or some say that a dealer can "activate" them even though they're not supposed to.
Any thing a dealer can do, you should be able to do with the correct scanning tool and software. But I don't know if it is only software, or if there is something physically disconnected.

Best Advice I can give is have a read through some of the UK forums. eg: https://www.fiestamk7.com
I don't think they're very active now, but you might find something already posted.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I'd be interested to know what that button does? I believe that in the NA market, it may activate a "parking light" feature???

But the short answer to your question, is that no, it's not simply plug'n'play. Even though the looms are present, they are disabled.

I've heard various theories on getting around this. Apparently there are "simple" ways of bypassing, and/or some say that a dealer can "activate" them even though they're not supposed to.
Any thing a dealer can do, you should be able to do with the correct scanning tool and software. But I don't know if it is only software, or if there is something physically disconnected.

Best Advice I can give is have a read through some of the UK forums. eg: https://www.fiestamk7.com
I don't think they're very active now, but you might find something already posted.
Thanks Dazz. I'll pop the switch out on the weekend and see what's going on behind there wiring wise and have a look at the UK websites.

EDIT - a bit closer to home

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345017
Old 09-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, so as suspected, the upshot seems to be:
  1. Switch may "look" like it's present, but has nothing behind it. So you'll need to either play dodgy with said switch, install another switch elsewhere, or obtain a suitable one from a wreckers or online
  2. it may still not work, as it may require activation, either by a friendly dealer, or by someone with Forscan
    Or, you can use additional wiring and effectively bypass the computer control
If you need to go looking for parts, definitely check out UK sites. They've learnt to be competitive, they are hungry for business post Brexit, and they mostly understand English
Old 09-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I located a WS Zetec switch at a Melbourne wrecker for $30 so will wait for that to arrive and see what the next move is.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

WS switch - I pulled it apart for science's sake to see what we get. Now it's interesting to note that this came out of a WS LX, not a Zetec as I first stated.

The first thing you note is that the fascia is printed for the staged fog lamp brightness.

So fully functional then.

I'll pull the WT LX unit apart after I swap it out.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The 43210 is for headlight height adjust, not fog lights. The light symbol pointing in the other direction with the beam straight out but through the wavy line is rear fog light. Need to try harder. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Ah, so a dud unit for my purposes then?

How does the headlight height work? Motors? Sounds a bit futuristic.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi. The 43210 is for headlight height adjust, not fog lights. The light symbol pointing in the other direction with the beam straight out but through the wavy line is rear fog light. Need to try harder. Cheers MD
Yes, the adjustment on the left is for headlight height adjustment.
Yes, there are electric motors within the headlight units. Your car may, or may not have them. I would assume not, but who knows.
Yes, the button on the left is for the rear fog light(s). You can tell because it's facing to the right.
But, the button on the left (for the front fog lights) also appears to be present, just not marked.
NB, on some models the right button also has a rotating knob, to adjust the brightness of the display.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:15 PM   #13
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

What you need is fog lamp kit switch D6BT13A024BB, around $90 from Ford. Can help source if need be.
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
What you need is fog lamp kit switch D6BT13A024BB, around $90 from Ford. Can help source if need be.
Thanks GT. I'll fit this one up first and then call on you for help if need be.
Old 13-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #15
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, there are electric motors within the headlight units. Your car may, or may not have them. I would assume not, but who knows.
Yes, the button on the left is for the rear fog light(s). You can tell because it's facing to the right.
But, the button on the left (for the front fog lights) also appears to be present, just not marked.
NB, on some models the right button also has a rotating knob, to adjust the brightness of the display.
Hi. good pick up Dazz but I wonder if its got the contact pad on the back of the rubber to make it work and for that matter if the button actually presses in to push the pad against the board. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 13-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, the button on the RIGHT (as viewed in the dash) is for the rear fog light(s). You can tell because it's facing to the right.
Quote:
Hi. good pick up Dazz but I wonder if its got the contact pad on the back of the rubber to make it work and for that matter if the button actually presses in to push the pad against the board.
The (white plastic) plunger looks to be the same, but yes needs to have the contacts under the grey "rubber". Should be a simple enough test
Old 13-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #17
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Next. I can't see how I can get the switch out. I took the side panel off for access but I'd have to have the hand of a 2 YO to fit into the opening and squeeze the two tangs together. Can just reach the bottom one, top one not accessible at all.
Old 13-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #18
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Next. I can't see how I can get the switch out. I took the side panel off for access but I'd have to have the hand of a 2 YO to fit into the opening and squeeze the two tangs together. Can just reach the bottom one, top one not accessible at all.
You need to remove the side dash panel and access back of switch with a screwdriver, see below:

PS this image is for a LHD vehicle so you need to do it in reverse and come in from RHS of dash.

WT Fiesta Headlight Switch.JPG
Old 14-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #19
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Can confirm that the Australian models do not have that screwdriver access as above GT. The tang slot depicted has a solid plastic wall behind it. No matter, I dropped the storage tray away that reveals the CANBUS port and then I inserted left arm to the elbow and up the dash interior, curling it back towards me. Finger tips rested on the top tang and pulled it down. Right hand managed to get to bottom tang via the side inspection port and out she slid

The outgoing unit has the exact same circuit board as the incoming, but the depressing switches aren't proper - they don't have the click in, click out action like the incoming unit.

I will wait for my Forscan hardware to arrive and activate the GEM feature then see where we are.
Old 14-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #20
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Can confirm that the Australian models do not have that screwdriver access as above GT. The tang slot depicted has a solid plastic wall behind it. No matter, I dropped the storage tray away that reveals the CANBUS port and then I inserted left arm to the elbow and up the dash interior, curling it back towards me. Finger tips rested on the top tang and pulled it down. Right hand managed to get to bottom tang via the side inspection port and out she slid

The outgoing unit has the exact same circuit board as the incoming, but the depressing switches aren't proper - they don't have the click in, click out action like the incoming unit.

I will wait for my Forscan hardware to arrive and activate the GEM feature then see where we are.
Here are the fitting instructions that may or may not help, it does say WZ but its the same as WT.

See post 3 of the below thread who was doing the same as you. I could not double post the instructions here alone..

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11482577
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #21
bilga83@hotmail.com
Starter Motor

I Found wiring attached to the body frame and Bought a forscan for $20 from E bay and got free access for first months and activated it. Can only be done by forscan..
bilga83@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #22
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

And that's all done.

Part # for the next person. But there are so many configs for this switch. This is one of many that will work.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #23
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

Quote:
I had a base CL 2012 Fiesta which I sold December 2017, it had a rear fog light and the switch on the dash was for the rear fog. I wouldn't have any idea about existing wiring for front fog lights.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post