Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What is your Marital Status?
Female - In Relationship 58 8.57%
Female - Single 30 4.43%
Male - In Relationship 300 44.31%
Male - Single 289 42.69%
Voters: 677. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 04:15 PM   #61
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
oh my lord. no where in the joke are blondes mentioned. it is a joke.
I didn't say there was a blonde in the joke, I was simply outlining that I cop more of this kind of stuff than others (being sent so many blonde/dumb girl driver jokes I doubt there are ANY I haven't yet seen). It has simply made me immune.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #62
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
most girls i know couldn't pick the difference between a falcon & commodore if you stripped the badges off. *no offence to the sensible girls on this forum.
Woah, that was a quick save. out: My daughter shakes her head at me in wonderment when I can name nearly all cars on the road (cept perhaps a few of the latest plastic fantastics)... I offered to help her learn but she has no interest at this stage. I will work on her. Also I am planning to show both of my girls how to change a tyre, oil, water, sparkies, brake pads and general bits and pieces so if they are ever stuck in the middle of nowhere then at least they can try and fix stuff.

And wow, there aren't that many chickies after all! I thought more would've come out of hiding...

Also the forums are fine the way they are, I like the format, definitely DON'T want pink

I was brought up to be a holden girl... I bucked tradition :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #63
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
some of the girls would put me to shame with there knowledge :
He he.. I'm sure I saw DeathXR blush when he came home from work to find his ute that he had abandoned half way down the driveway in the morning.. had been fixed by ME (he hadn't been able to work out what was wrong and thought swearing at it might fix it).

Runs better than ever now.

Now i've told you that story, it's time to : :hihi:

Last edited by Discovery; 11-02-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #64
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
I didn't say there was a blonde in the joke, I was simply outlining that I cop more of this kind of stuff than others (being sent so many blonde/dumb girl driver jokes I doubt there are ANY I haven't yet seen). It has simply made me immune.
It is amazing how well blonde jokes are doing considering how many blondes get university qualifications, hold down bloody mentally tough jobs, and than still raise a family on the side. Still, even blondes would admit some are really funny.

Any chance we could start a thread titled "Testing Discovery's armour", where everyone abuses Discovery to see just how tough your armour really is??? : only kidding......
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #65
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
He he.. I'm sure I saw DeathXR blush when he came home from work to find his ute that he had abandoned half way down the driveway in the morning.. had been fixed by ME (he hadn't been able to work out what was wrong and thought swearing at it might fix it).

Runs better than ever now.

Now i've told you that story, it's time to : :hihi:
GIRLIE POWER!!! WOOHOO! Too cool sweetie, too cool. You rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #66
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Got a bit of a stutter there Pilch? :

Give it your best shot!

Thanks Bindi, my kids helped too ha ha.

Last edited by Discovery; 11-02-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #67
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Well I'm a girl, and Í'm taken.

I personally thought there'd be more girls on here too.... I'm sure the number will increase thow.

Last edited by Leah; 11-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #68
WASP
Whipple Induced

See my response in blue sourbastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Sorry that isnt what you outlined in your original post.

"I would start my suggesting some strict guidelines are placed into effect to make them feel safe and not subject to harassment."

The above statement outlines a policy change. There may well be, you haven't asked them yet? What's wrong with asking for their input to encouage more women to the forum?

"I suggest you let the women themselves determine what guidelines they wish to have in place"

This statement outlines who should draft it. No, as above it suggusts the forum ask for their input the the forum administrator can draft it.

If your so sure that your doing every thing right now then don't do anything. Nothing will change and the forum will still have only a few female members.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #69
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Man, some people need to relax a little.

*clears throat and stands up*

Okay, I'm Andy. Im a male, Blue Fairy is my fiance (who is female). I am not sexist and appreciate a good joke as long as no-one gets hurt. I am also not homophobic and if I have used an expression in the past stating that someone else was, it was meant in jest and was not to isolate and offend anyone else.

I do occasionly sh!t-stir, but its all in good humour and I hope that most people realise that.

*sits down*

A lot of the women on this forum are attached to someone else for various reasons... Some may have even joined after they were together with the other person. Obviously this is a ford enthusiast site and in most cases only a ford fan (or holden fan with a common interest in Aussie cars :P)would look for this site. Its obvious so far that there are not alot of female car enthusiasts due to they way that most women are raised*

Therefore, you will always find female fans that join the site in a minority because the size of the female fan base in question does not exist.

/rant

*most refers to the majority, I understand and appreciate that some women are taught about cars and some have a genuine interest in cars that isnt shared by parental units.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 11-02-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #70
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Man, some people need to relax a little.

*clears throat and stands up*

Okay, I'm Andy. Im a male, Blue Fairy is my fiance (who is female). I am not sexist and appreciate a good joke as long as no-one gets hurt. I am also not homophobic and if I have used an expression in the past stating that someone else was, it was meant in jest and was not to isolate and offend anyone else.

I do occasionly sh!t-stir, but its all in good humour and I hope that most people realise that.

now, thats what im talkin about...thats all good blueraven.....i'm the same as you
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #71
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Got a bit of a stutter there Pilch? :
I had a blonde moment :

Quote:
Give it your best shot!
out: hows the armour now?

Last edited by Pilch; 11-02-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #72
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue fairy
Another girl over here.
I am engaged to be married to blueraven.
That is if you can find the keys to the house
jes sayin
Old 11-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #73
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
I had a blonde moment :

out: hows the armour now?
Ha ha! That's it!

Just don't you come crying to me when your car is broken down and you can't get it going.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #74
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Just don't you come crying to me when your car is broken down and you can't get it going.
not a concern, I drive a F O R D which is built tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
I was brought up to be a holden girl... I bucked tradition
this seems to be a trend. do women find that holdens are inadequate in the size department or something?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #75
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
There may well be, you haven't asked them yet? What's wrong with asking for their input to encouage more women to the forum?
If you want to change policy that will impact an entire community, it is essential that the entire community have input as well, not just one segment. That is common sense. The fact that the rest of the community is involved does not mean women are precluded. Maybe I should ask you what is wrong with asking men for their input to encourage more women to the forum? To my knowledge good ideas are not restricted to gender.

Quote:
If your so sure that your doing every thing right now then don't do anything. Nothing will change and the forum will still have only a few female members.
I dont believe that any changes you can make to posting policy would increase numbers of women, or anyone for that matter on this forum. Like any service or product, it comes down to targetted promotion, and offering something that your demographic wants. Brand recognition and fostering interest in cars/motorsports in general also help.

Otherwise you can restructure policy until noone can post anything at all. It wont cause a stampede of females to suddenly be interested in a car forum.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Last edited by Sourbastard; 11-02-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #76
Black Kat

Female here *waves hand from the back row*

Also single... :(

Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #77
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Here, here, that goes the same for me and it's getting pretty tense in here.

*Ahem, hem*

Hi...they call me Yum Yum...I'm male, but I have sneaking suspicion that I might be a lesbian.
Could some of these ladies please help me out.
*Please refer to the above quote :dr_Evil:
Old 11-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #78
MadManz

Quote:

Look on the Bright side, i'd prefer to be in a blond joke than to be a Volvo driver! :Up_to_som

Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #79
Dez
Banned

CDAA, sourbastard....are you both in the marketing industry?

you seem to be getting RIGHT into this whole policy thing, and targeted demographic etc etc...

the fact is, i dont think there needs to be a "policy" for that kind of stuff.

its common sense that the admins won't tolerate people abusing or harassing other members, male or female....
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #80
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez

you seem to be getting RIGHT into this whole policy thing, and targeted demographic etc etc...

the fact is, i dont think there needs to be a "policy" for that kind of stuff.

its common sense that the admins won't tolerate people abusing or harassing other members, male or female....
Nope not in marketing. But ive seen how it works enough times.
Yup agree that there are rules and people already in place for this. Anything more is just redundant and time wasting.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #81
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
If you want to change policy that will impact an entire community, it is essential that the entire community have input as well, not just one segment. That is common sense. The fact that the rest of the community is involved does not mean women are precluded. Maybe I should ask you what is wrong with asking men for their input to encourage more women to the forum? To my knowledge good ideas are not restricted to gender.
Any changes to policy as a result to my suggestion would and should only be implemented if it was determined for the good of the entire community. That is common sense.Your last suggestion is a good one, asking men as well. I would imagine the answers will differ between genders, but would present as being 'fair to the community.

I dont believe that any changes you can make to posting policy would increase numbers of women, or anyone for that matter on this forum. Like any service or product, it comes down to targetted promotion, and offering something that your demographic wants.(Bingo!!) Brand recognition and fostering interest in cars/motorsports in general also help.

We are so close to agreeing here..lol It's not the policies themselves that will encourage more women to the forums, but the perception that this place is a safe place for them (as well as men). The forum would be targeting women in its promotion of a safe environment for all members. Of course it's already safe. You know that and most of the existing members know as well through experience, but most are male aren’t they? How does someone who is not a member know? Is it a consideration to them? For men I would imagine it is not so much, but for women I think you will find it is. The forum ‘wants’ more female members then it needs to accommodate to their needs (as well as men). Simply put, if the forum could build a perception of safety for all, I believe an increase of female members may be more likely.

Otherwise you can restructure policy until noone can post anything at all. It wont cause a stampede of females to suddenly be interested in a car forum. See above
Some great discussion with you sourbastard, but I think it's best we continue if need be in any thread or via PM.

Last edited by WASP; 11-02-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #82
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Yes to some degree, it's part of my job.

lol....Sorry guys, sourbarstard and I will take our discussion to another thread if need be. It appears we both have the right intentions which is the good thing, just differ on the reasons and method of execution. It’s all interesting none the less.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #83
Dez
Banned

Quote:
We are so close to agreeing here..lol It's not the policies themselves that will encourage more women to the forums, but the perception that this place is a safe place for them (as well as men).
try not to overlook the FACT that this site caters to more men than it does women. The fact that women feel safe here, really means very little if they have no reason to be here...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #84
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
try not to overlook the FACT that this site caters to more men than it does women. The fact that women feel safe here, really means very little if they have no reason to be here...
I think we can safely assume I am referring to women that are interested in cars already Dez. Not ones that don't obviously. Same can be said for men as well. For those women, feeling safe here or anywhere is likely to be relevant.

Any other questions or comments related to this topic should be PM'ds to me please.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #85
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

There's been a lot of talk about making women feel safe here but I haven't yet heard any women say they don't feel safe. Personally, I've never had a problem here and most of the guys I've spoken to seem to be very decent and respectful blokes. As for the few idiots, there's always going to be some of them everywhere you go and most girls are pretty good at holding their own and taking care of themselves. I also feel secure in the knowledge that everyone here has administrators etc. to help sort out any issues you can't solve yourself. I don't think we need to advertise how safe this forum is for women in order to attract more of them. I don't know of any women who would wonder if they'd be safe before checking out a forum they were interested in.

I think the lack of females is just due to the fact that more guys are interested in cars than girls in our current culture. Finding a partner who has common interests is a great way to start a relationship so I'm not surprised lots of people meet partners here. For those who don't find a girl around here who shares your passion for cars, there's always your star trek conventions ;)
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #86
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Queen
There's been a lot of talk about making women feel safe here but I haven't yet heard any women say they don't feel safe. Personally, I've never had a problem here and most of the guys I've spoken to seem to be very decent and respectful blokes. As for the few idiots, there's always going to be some of them everywhere you go and most girls are pretty good at holding their own and taking care of themselves. I also feel secure in the knowledge that everyone here has administrators etc. to help sort out any issues you can't solve yourself. I don't think we need to advertise how safe this forum is for women in order to attract more of them. I don't know of any women who would wonder if they'd be safe before checking out a forum they were interested in.

I think the lack of females is just due to the fact that more guys are interested in cars than girls in our current culture. Finding a partner who has common interests is a great way to start a relationship so I'm not surprised lots of people meet partners here. For those who don't find a girl around here who shares your passion for cars, there's always your star trek conventions ;)

spot on DQ, there is no reason to feel "un-safe" on an internet forum, especially this 1.

the lack of females is due to exactly what you said (have we got a thumbs up smiley yet ?)
Old 11-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #87
MadManz

should get back on topic and maby start a new thread regarding this issue!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #88
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Quote:

exactly

pics of my ute HERE
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #89
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:

At last the voice of common sense.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #90
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Sums up somewhat more eloquently (apart from the last sentence :P) what
I was trying to say...

Read it, Learn it.
Closed Thread