Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Scott

Default SEQ Floods - are you prepared?

Hey All,

Call me an "end of the worlder" but given the sprinkles we have had, the waters on the way and the drizzle we can expect - ARE YOU PREPARED?

Like I said, call me an "end of worlder" but I have prepped my place for some reasonably possible eventualities.

I've stocked up on water - should our drinking water become contaimnated (ie, sewerage treatment plants flood and make their way into our catchment areas);
Stocked up on Milk & Bread;
Stocked up on Ice - if the power goes down for a reasonable period it'll be nice to keep the meat & dairy cold;
Stocked up on batteries - for the torches & radio;
Dug out my battery powered radio and checked it works;
Pulled torches & candles out in an easy to get to place;
Checked the drains and made sure water can escape;
Filled the cars with juice;
I also happen to have (through luck, not planning) a trailer full of dry sand, rolls of black plastic and a small stockpile of sandbags;

I'm hope I won't need any of it.... but better to be prepared ay? A good Scout was I

I've lived through floods before (remember Nyngan?) and the one thing you know will happen, is anything.

Fortunately for me I live on top of a hill, but that doesn't stop torrents of water flowing through my block and against the house. My thoughts are with those that are not quite so fortunate.

Take the opportunity, go down and grab some essentials and most of all - BE SAFE!!

Add your own preparations or ideas as you see fit.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
mark300

Default Brisbane CBD ordered to evacuate?

Hearing reports according to the radio and a few friends I've got in the brisbane area that they are on evacuation orders. Friend has told me the river has risen a meter already!!!

To all AFF members in Brisbane hope you and your families are safe and can get out while you can! We are all thinking of you at this time

Stay safe guys!

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
nstg8a

yup, caboolture morayfield and others as well. this gonna get real interesting real fast i think.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Yep, anyone near the bremer or brisbane rivers have only on thing to do.....

GET OUT!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
mark300

I've got Friends in caboolture who are saying to me apparently one of the roads to higher ground is cut off by water...

Just when we thought this couldn't get any worse it just did

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Bundamba Creek is over at Ipwsich road, the Bremar is about to go over the bridge at Brassal.
Ipswich Isolated

32 suburbs ordered out in Brisbane. Wivenhoe 170% and filling fast.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I posted this in the other thread

Just got an email from someone too, currently releasing 3000mL/s out of Wivenhoe, downstream starts flooding at 3500mL/s.

To keep up with inflow, they are gonna have to open them up to 4000-5000mL/s.

3,000,000L/s strains credulity at best...but either way I'm sure they are releasing a lot of water.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep, Free to get out of the carparks in brisbane, get your cars out and get to your homes.

PUt fuel in your cars, get food, and if your in a low area make sure you pack your important bits and pieces and stay with friends / family who live in safe high areas.

Tune into 612 ABC Brisbane for all alerts / updates.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Dash, you cant do that in Ipswich, the shopping centres have been closed. So stay indoors, keep watch, & go when your told.....
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Dash, you cant do that in Ipswich, the shopping centres have been closed. So stay indoors, keep watch, & go when your told.....
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Minden, Tarampa & Brightview reigon is well and truly under now. I hope anyone in these areas has safely escaped.

EDIT: Rain has now just increased dramatically and visibility has been cut in half. Strong winds also. I dearly hope no one is in the lower areas of this reigon.

Last edited by SSD-85; 11-01-2011 at 02:44 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankls Scott .. Some good advice there mate!

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark300
I've got Friends in caboolture who are saying to me apparently one of the roads to higher ground is cut off by water...

Just when we thought this couldn't get any worse it just did
Posted this in the other thread.
This is the road that would be used to get to higher ground.
The photo is taken from the higher part of Caboolture/Morayfield.
Caboolture river (looking down towards centenary lakes, for those that know the area)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6391045_n.jpg
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Threads merged, that leaves three current on the Qld floods.
We don't need any more please.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

just in case my area floods high
does anybody have room on higher ground for my 2 GT's to stay out of the water?

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brisbane River has broken its banks in town.... the CBD is being evacuted right now according to news....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Raging floods bear down on Brisbane

Updated 12 minutes ago
A view of the Brisbane River overflowing from the inner-city suburb of West End.

The Brisbane River has broken its banks in West End. (User submitted: Jeff Polley)

The Brisbane River has broken its banks amid dire predictions of the biggest floods to hit Queensland's capital since 1974.

The weather bureau says the river is expected to reach major flood levels tomorrow afternoon and rise further on Thursday.

Water is also rising quickly in the Bremer River at Ipswich, west of Brisbane, where it is expected to peak close to 19 metres.

Police are preparing residents and business owners in the inner-city suburb of West End for the possibility of evacuations later today.

The Brisbane City Council says more than 200 homes and businesses along the river are at risk, most at Rocklea, Albion, Milton and Auchenflower.

Police are advising all residents in low-lying parts of Strathpine and Dayboro to the north of Brisbane to evacuate to higher ground immediately.

Caboolture is isolated so evacuation out of town by car is impossible. Police are saying that people in low-lying areas who can should move to higher ground or prepare for rising water.

* Suburbs at risk
* Current weather warnings
* Send us your flood photos
* Road closures
* In an emergency call the SES on 132 500
* Donate to the national flood appeal

The threat to Brisbane comes after an inland tsunami swept through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley yesterday, leaving eight people dead and more than 70 missing.

That wave of brown water is now making its way towards the Brisbane River and catchment areas, where the capital's defence of Wivenhoe Dam is struggling to hold back the deluge.

Officials have had to increase the amount of water being released from Wivenhoe because of major inflows coming from the Lockyer and Brisbane valleys.

The river has broken its banks in parts of West End and water is reportedly slowly creeping onto roads in low-lying areas there.

Buildings in Fortitude Valley and businesses at Eagle Street Pier in the city are also being evacuated.

The potentially looming disaster in the city is being made worse by cut and congested mobile phone lines, making communication difficult. Vodafone customers have been without reception for most of the morning.

People have been asked to stay off telephones unless absolutely necessary to avoid congesting lines for emergency services.

Ipswich mayor Paul Pisasale says water levels are rising quickly in the Bremer River.

"Our latest prediction is now that we've got the suburbs of Woodend and West Ipswich, One Mile, Redbank Plains, Churchill, North Booval, Booval, Bundamba, Karalee, Muirlea and Brassall... they're all under threat," he said.

"We're setting up emergency centres at the showground and other places at Goodna and Rosewood."

There also delays to public transport services in the Ipswich area because of rising floodwaters.

Staying dry

Jodie Craig, who owns the Joynt Hotel on Montague Road in West End, is trying to move belongings to the upper floors of the hotel.

"Up until last night I was freaking out a bit and then this morning I've just been watching the news and I guess I should start doing something," she said.

"I'm going to take all my electrical equipment and stuff that's worth a lot of money upstairs and hopefully it'll be safe up there."

Ms Craig says the ground floor of the hotel was completely submerged in the 1974 floods and she hopes the Wivenhoe Dam is enough to hold back the water this time.

She says she has been without phone reception for several hours and is unsure if police are wanting people to evacuate.

"The road's pretty busy. It's not like there's anyone in uniform telling us to leave," she said.

"I'm really clueless as to what's going on. People are just telling me West End's been told to evacuate. I really don't know. I'll just get my stuff up."

No insurance

Being so close to the river means Ms Craig is unable to get flood insurance.

"That's why I wanted to get all the stuff that's the most important to me," she said.

"I mean I'm not going to worry about furniture and things like that, there's not really much I can do."

Police say they have not ordered any evacuations of West End residents or businesses yet but with a high tide expected in just over two hours and a large volume of water still moving down the Brisbane River, that situation could change.

Police have stationed several officers along Riverside Drive between Orleigh Park and the Go Between Bridge at West End.

They are now turning back traffic trying to access Riverside Drive after the decision was made earlier today to close the road.

Translink says bus services have been suspended in the Caboolture, Redcliffe and Burpengary areas because of flooding.

Train services through to the Sunshine Coast are still running.

A telephone hotline - 1300 993 191 - has been set up for people seeking information on friends and relatives caught up in the flooding disaster.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...11/3110450.htm

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
nstg8a

just went for quick ride on my bike to see what happening round here, in the space of about 20 minutes the creek down the road looks like its come up at least a metre, unreal
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Just heard on Sky that the Brisbane Airport has/is about to go under. Most of the building surrounding the airport have been evacuated.

This just keeps getting worse.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
kocho
The Futuriser

Incredible how fast the waters rise. Hope all everyone including AFFers are OK!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .bazz.
PM sent ...And if anyone else needs assistance i'm off work till mon .. so bagging/ prevention/ clean up gimme a call ... If i can get to you i will ...

Plus we have 2 x spare rooms ....Daz.

Last edited by Road Games; 11-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

geez this is a nightmare. My prayers are with you guys.

Is there any news of the floods traveling towards Beenleigh etc?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
Scott

Just shot down to the bottle'o - back up bundy = covered.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #24
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
geez this is a nightmare. My prayers are with you guys.

Is there any news of the floods traveling towards Beenleigh etc?
Not so far mate it depends on the logan river .. i cannot believe we are on a flood plain and the recent pipe work has been our saviour....

The real hassle here now is the roads becoming gridlocked ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
nstg8a

waters reached the footpaths on eagle st.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is crazy

To the Queensland AFR members ...Keep safe the best way you can..Our thoughts are with you all at this difficult time
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Just FYI to those that need to know - Brisbane CBD is NOT being evacd. This has come from the QPS. Also, public transport in the city is NOT closing down at 2pm either, please see local guides for more information.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .bazz.
Barry ring me!!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
nstg8a

yeah all evac's to now have been voluntary. only a matter of time though imo
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #30
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is just surreal.. I'm honestly gobsmacked.

I just wish there was something I could do to help (apart from donate which I've done)