Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #361
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Re: The AFF "Chef's Corner" Thread

The dip sounds good. My fiances mum does something similair but with prawns and cocktail sauce.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #362
69XWGT

You won't be disappointed if you make it thats for sure.

The only person i've meet that didn't like it and wouldn't eat it was lactose intolerant
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #363
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

OK guys, it's comming up to missus birthday and I want to cook her a beautiful meal (I would take her out but we are saving for our wedding atm). I want to do a Reef & Beef. Anybody have a good recipe I could follow.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #364
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Garlic, chives, cream, butter, salt and pepper + splash of white wine.

Chop up / crush garlic and chives, add 150ml cream, 1 nob of butter, spalsh of your favourite white wine then salt + pepper to taste.

Heat gently in a sauce pan until butter has melted and cream is mixed in.

Take off heat, add prawns (butterfly them and remove poo vein) to the mix and let them soak for a while in the fridge.

Take them out, pan on medium heat and remember they don't take long to cook! You don't want rubber!

Take the cooked prawns out, throw the rest of the marinade in and reduce, spoon over cooked prawns.

As for steak, too many things I can think of!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #365
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I would use 2 garlic cloves crushed. Fry in some butter for about 30 secs (do not let burn) add 200ml of cream, splash of white wine, salt and pepper, bring to a simmer/gentle boil, add some freshly chopped parsley

Before making sauce Butterfly 8 nice sized prawns and remove the vein, drop into the simmering/boiling liquid for no more than 3mins. Spoon prawns and sauce (4 prawns each) onto a nice thick scotch fillet. I usually season my meat with salt and pepper, sear on both sides for 1 min in a super hot pan and put in oven at 180c for 10-15mins depending on thickness. Rest meat for 10mins, before serving. Generally I get a nice medium steak.

Hint: To stop butter burning add a splash of olive oil.
Old 28-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #366
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Must try the steak in the oven, come out fairly tender Spudz?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #367
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Not fancy by any means, but if you like scrambled eggs then you have to try my recipe. Best I've found for a long, long time.

MWTB's scrambled (scambie) eggs
3 or 4 eggs
1 tablespoon of butter
1 heaped tsp of creme' fraiche.
Small pinch of Parmesan cheese.
Dash of full cream milk

Directions:

1. Break eggs into a saucepan (off the heat), adding the butter, cheese and milk along with them. Do NOT scramble and for god's sake wait until the end to add salt.

2. Put saucepan onto medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon or an egg flip continuously until the mixture is well and truly scrambled as it would be if you had whisked it.

3. Take off the heat and continue stirring for 30 seconds.

4. Return to heat. Once you begin to notice the egg changing form from liquid to sold, remove from heat again and continue stirring (you want to be stirring literally the entire time the saucepan is on the heat).

5. Repeat processes above until the eggs are 95% cooked and remove from heat for the final time.

6. While still stirring and allowing the residual heat in the saucepan cook the rest of the eggs, get your creme' fraiche ready.

7. When your eggs get to the stage you want to eat them (please don't overcook them, it will ruin them), add in your tsp of creme' fraiche to bring the temperature down so they don't cook themselves any longer, and to add taste.

8. Garnish with salt, ground pepper and parsley on top of sourdough toast. Tomato sauce optional.

Not healthy by any means, but I've never had a better scambie egg from any restaurant or cafe.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 28-05-2012 at 11:48 PM.
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #368
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
Must try the steak in the oven, come out fairly tender Spudz?
No more tender than grilling. It just cooks more evenly that way. I find quite often if I use the pan only, it never cooks right. But if I sear and then chuck in oven it cooks more evenly, but like anything it is a fine balance between not enough and too long. The tenderness comes from the resting and the cut of meat.
Old 28-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #369
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Not fancy by any means, but if you like scrambled eggs then you have to try my recipe. Best I've found for a long, long time.

MWTB's scrambled (scambie) eggs
3 or 4 eggs
1 tablespoon of butter
1 heaped tsp of creme' fraiche.
Small pinch of Parmesan cheese.
Dash of full cream milk

Directions:

1. Break eggs into a saucepan (off the heat), adding the butter, cheese and milk along with them. Do NOT scramble and for god's sake wait until the end to add salt.

2. Put saucepan onto medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon or an egg flip continuously until the mixture is well and truly scrambled as it would be if you had whisked it.

3. Take off the heat and continue stirring for 30 seconds.

4. Return to heat. Once you begin to notice the egg changing form from liquid to sold, remove from heat again and continue stirring (you want to be stirring literally the entire time the saucepan is on the heat).

5. Repeat processes above until the eggs are 95% cooked and remove from heat for the final time.

6. While still stirring and allowing the residual heat in the saucepan cook the rest of the eggs, get your creme' fraiche ready.

7. When your eggs get to the stage you want to eat them (please don't overcook them, it will ruin them), add in your tsp of creme' fraiche to bring the temperature down so they don't cook themselves any longer, and to add taste.

8. Garnish with salt, ground pepper and parsley on top of sourdough toast. Tomato sauce optional.

Not healthy by any means, but I've never had a better scambie egg from any restaurant or cafe.

Sounds nice.

I usually whisk eggs, pepper and milk together, add to pan on low, stir all the time and also add a dollop of philly cream cheese. On my temp it takes about 15mins to get the eggs to cook.

Couple of omlettes to try guys.

Maggi Noodle omlette. Take 3 eggs and 2 tablespoons of milk + the sachet of you favourite flavour of maggi noodles and whick together really well.

Cook and drain the noodles from the packet,

Add egg mix to pan and spread noodles over the mixture as evenly as possible. Cook until egg is setting and flip and cook a further minute or so.

Another one is 3 eggs 2 tablespoons of milk and some pepper. Whisk together and add to pan.

In centre of mix, add shortcut bacon (cooked already), diced tomato, cooked mince, fried onion, capsicum and mushroom mix (I make this just prior to doing omlette), some cheese. Cook until it is setting, then fold the two sides over the centre.

TIP: I use a second pand to act as a steamer. It help to cook the eggs more evenly and faster, while allowing the use of a lower heat, so the bottom does not burn, even if it takes 5 or ore minutes.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #370
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

MWTB's Carbonara Recipe:

This is another super delicious yet artery hardening recipe brought to you courtesy of MWTB. I will not be held responsible for any cardiovascular disorders you may suffer as a result of any of my recipes.

500 grams shortcut bacon
2 or 3 chicken fillets, cubed
One of those tubs of button mushrooms from Coles. I dunno how much it weighs.
1 large onion
3 large cloves of garlic
Parmesan cheese, preferably grated
600ml thickened cream
1 cup full cream milk
1 large or 2 small beef stock cubes
1 tbs butter
2 tsp sifted white flour
Pasta of choice, I use fettuccine

1. Slice up your bacon into strips of maybe 5 cm or so each, depending on how long you want it, its just preference. Again, with the onion and mushroom, slice it the way you want. I slice the mushroom like it comes on a pizza and I dice the onion.

2. Cook them up in a saucepan with butter to lubricate. Also crush in the garlic. Once they are close to cooked, take them off the heat and keep in a safe place (I just wanted to say that).

3. At the same time, fry up the chicken cubes in a separate frying pan until they are white inside and out.

4. In a new saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and add in the flour, stirring to make a roux. Once its nice and mixed up, pour in the cream a little at a time, then the milk.

5. Pour in the bacon, onion and mushroom mix, along with the buttery juices (I told you it's not healthy).

6. Add in your cheese, salt, pepper and stock cubes. I use HEAPS of Parmesan. I don't even like cheese, but Parmesan thickens it up very nicely. HEAPS of pepper also gives it a great taste.

7. Drop in your chicken pieces along with the juices.

8. Simmer for half an hour or so.

9. Serve on top of the pasta.

10. ...have seconds. (I wanted to have 10 steps).

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 29-05-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #371
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Will post my recipe for butter chicken if people are keen.

315rwkw
Old 29-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #372
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

MWTB's Butter Chicken Recipe:

This is another super delicious yet artery hardening recipe brought to you courtesy of MWTB. I will not be held responsible for any cardiovascular disorders you may suffer as a result of any of my recipes.

You can also substitute chicken for lamb or beef very easily, but cook it for longer if you use lamb or beef so they become more tender.

THIS IS NOT A SPICY CURRY.

I hope I've remembered everything, I haven't made this in a while and there is a LOT of ingredients.

3 or 4 chicken breast fillets cut into cubes. I know Indian restaurants tend to use thigh but I can't stand thigh chicken, its so disgusting and gloopy and fatty...ergh! Nothing worse)
Big can of Coles crushed tomatos...I think its 400g?
1 large onion
4 large cloves of garlic
2 regular carrots grated
200ml can of coconut cream (coconut milk is also acceptable, but will be runnier)
1 large or 2 small beef stock cubes
3 tbs butter
Ginger paste
A can of Patak's Vindaloo paste if you really wanna add some zing

Can add things like capsicum and celery if you want but personally I don't.

Spices:
Garam Masala
Tumeric
Mustard seeds
Saffron
Chilli Powder
Bay leaves
Corriander
Fenugreek seeds
Salt
Pepper

(I think that's all I use)

1. Slice up the onion in half, and then into half rings (i.e slice it once through the middle, then slice it again opposite direction and leave it as that). Make sure its reasonably thin.

2. Cut the chicken breast into cubes, then chuck it in a saucepan with the onions and let them cook together. Also throw in the crushed garlic cloves.

3. Once they are both 90% cooked, throw the can of crushed tomatos in, then the coconut cream. The coconut cream will give it the nice orangey colour instead of being red. Now is the time to add the Patak's Vindaloo paste too. I throw in the whole jar. Also throw in the ginger paste, about a tablespoon worth.

4. Add in a teaspoon of each spice, except for the salt, pepper and saffron. I usually double up on the Garam Masala because I love the taste. Also crumble up the stock cubes and throw them in, or dissolve them in a bit of boiling water if you want the taste to come through a bit more. Half a teaspoon of chili powder should do it if you aren't big on having your tongue burning off.

5. Stir in the grated carrots, these add a nice thickness to the sauce.

6. Add in the butter, and then season with salt and pepper how ever you like.

7. Simmer for 30-60 minutes. I let it go for as long as I can stand not being able to devour the amazing smell that is overtaking my kitchen. So usually 20 minutes or so. Simmer uncovered if you want your sauce to thicken up.

8. Boil some water for your rice, then once you put the rice in, add a teaspoon or two of saffron powder. It'll give the rice a fantastic yellow colour and slight taste.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything here, its 3am, I've had about 10 beers and I haven't made this curry in a long time.

Matter of fact I'm going to make it tomorrow night.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 29-05-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 15-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #373
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I normally add a tablespoon or two of honey to our butter chicken - I love the subtle sweetness that it adds.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #374
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

not a bad thread a few ideas here. I made some nachos the other night and i make my own guacamole. Now i pretty much hate every one you can buy in the shop (and most peoples too). So i thought i chuck up the recipe for mine that my mum taught me.

I pretty much wing it so amounts arent set in stone i can look at it and know its right

You'll need:
1 ripe avacado
375g Sour Cream not lite (i find the coles brand is very good)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 red onion (size dependant)
1/2 red capsicum (size dependant)
1 Lime
1 chilli or a good sweet chilli sauce (i use this as i'm a pussy)
Sea salt and pepper

Finely chop up your onion, capsicum, garlic and chilli (if applicable).
Throw it into a bowl/blender/food processor. Core out your avacado and throw that in, then add about 200g of sour cream. zest of about 1/2 to 2/3 of your lime and juice of half the lime add soem salt and pepper to taste. Give it a wizz.
At this point i'd normally add my sweet chilli sauce and give it a quick wizz but if you used real chilli you can skip this part.
Taste it, normally i find 200g of sour cream is ok but sometimes a little more is needed. Same goes for lime and chilli
Its all about a nice balance i find sour cream is better the cream cheese and lime adds a better kick than lemon that most people use. Sometimes it need some adjustment to get flavour right but i normally can nail it first time.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #375
378ute
351,XD,Locker

Completely forgot about this thread, last time was making pizzas on pita bread in the oven, geez things have changed......

xmas last year i built this pizza oven

and been making fresh pizza weekly love it

Ribs

Poppers
Old 19-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #376
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Damn...

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #377
Cam
Stroking it...

378ute - I'll be in Melbourne over XMAS, I'd like to book a table for 2 thanks
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #378
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a small T-bone steak marinating in around 250ml of johhnie walker overnight, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #379
ch33z1l
Dawn

Sensing an AFF Cook Book in the mix...

Would make a great group buy?
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #380
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'd buy one...
Old 20-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #381
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
I spent 2-3hours making pasta today. It made enough for two dinners, bloody thing is going to the back of the cupboard lol. Pizza dough I enjoy making, it also takes less time and mess. However if you have a food processor making the pasta dough will be easy.
I think you must be doing it wrong. We can have a batch of pasta made for one dinner plus a bit more in about 20 minutes...

Oo\===/oO
Old 20-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #382
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

* Small saucepan.
* Tin of spaghetti in tomato sauce.
* Put the spag into the pot, heat it up.
* Grate in tasty cheese until it goes yellowish and melted.
* Sprinkle in some mixed herbs.
* Add in curry powder, and lots of it, until it goes a different darker yellow colour, maybe a couple of teaspoons full.
* Heat until nice and hot.
Serve on toast.

That'll put hair on your chest...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #383
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I've got a small T-bone steak marinating in around 250ml of johhnie walker overnight, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out
Alright, she's getting cooked now with rosemary, garlic, olive oil, salt and with some potatoes and carrots.

Plus more Johnny Walker down the line somewhere.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #384
Miss_XR6

For those using salt on seafood and steak dishes use PINK SALT much better flavour
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #385
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 

Garlic salt on spaghetti bol for me
Or a 3 slice sandwich with vegemite and salt and vinegar chips on it. I'll leave the cooking for mum or the missus.
An AFF cook book, I would buy! So many great sounding recipes here!
So hungry right now.. Actually might just go for a counter meal.. Feeling steak with mushroom gravy and chips with a schooner of old to wash it down.
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
SIMBAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #386
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Alright, she's getting cooked now with rosemary, garlic, olive oil, salt and with some potatoes and carrots.

Plus more Johnny Walker down the line somewhere.
and how did it go?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #387
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am digging this one up to see if I can spark interest from others in cooking.

Last night I cooked Rib Eye with mushroom sauce and home made chips.

Rib eye was the best piece of meat I have had in my 30yrs. Was a 200gm piece, I seared on all 4 sides for 1min each, then put in oven for 7mins at 200c. Came out beautiful medium rare.

My mushroom sauce
2cup mushrooms sliced
1 portabello cut in 1/4's and sliced
1 flat prepped in same way as portabello
2 swiss sliced.

Saute in butter until darkened and soft, add a splash of beef stock and reduce. To that add 100ml light cream, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1-2mins stirring the whole time. Then add fresh chopped flat parsley and chives.

Chips:
Royal blue potato's skin on. Slice 1-2mm thick, toss through a mix of 1Tbspn rice oil, then salt, pepper, chicken seasoning and paprika. Cook at 200c for 50min turning halfway.

Today I am making Gozleme, stuffed with a mix of (all fresh) onion, spinach, rocket, corriander, parsley, mint, chives, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, mozzerella and ashed goats cheese (local dairy makes it) instead of fetta. Just before cooking I will add a squeeze of lemon juice to the mix (house came with a lemon tree)

Should be delicous.

Tonight making spring rolls.

The filling I use is free range pork mince, grated carrot, chopped wombok, bean sprouts, salt pepper and hoising sauce. Tonight we are going to use rice paper rolls instead of spring roll sheets.