Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation "THIS will go down in automotive history as one of the weirdest automotive recalls of all time.

"THIS will go down in automotive history as one of the weirdest automotive recalls of all time.

Japanese car giant Toyota is voluntarily recalling 6.5 million cars globally — including up to 300,000 in Australia — because the power window switches might not have enough grease in their operating mechanisms.

In other words, the power windows may not operate as smoothly as Toyota would like.

The recall affects certain Toyota Aurion, Camry, Corolla, Kluger, RAV4 and Yaris vehicles built between August 2005 and August 2006 and January 2009 and December 2010.

A statement from Toyota says: “If insufficient grease was applied, under certain conditions the switch may develop a short circuit that can cause the switch assembly to overheat and melt. In the worst case, a melting switch can produce smoke and potentially lead to a fire.”

Toyota says it is still assessing the impact on cars sold in the Australian market, however it is expected “less than 300,000” vehicles will be affected and “there have been no reported accidents or injuries in Australia”.

And not a single car has caught fire.

The latest Toyota recall follows a previous fix in October 2012 also relating to a power window switch.

But cars caught up in the previous campaign will not be impacted by this recall, the company says.'
http://www.couriermail.com.au/busine...-1227577384980
Old 21-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "THIS will go down in automotive history as one of the weirdest automotive recalls of all time.

Poor Hulk....Aurions are likely to spontaneously combust.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "THIS will go down in automotive history as one of the weirdest automotive recalls of all time.

Meanwhile, they refused to tow my dad's RAV4 when the gearbox packed it in, to the dealer 2 streets away.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hulk's is a 2015 model, so not a problem

Seriously, good on Toyota to recall something BEFORE it catches on fire (although unlikely).

It almost sounds like a publicity stunt?
Old 21-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

And probably not get their 5 second 0-100 now that the extra grease will be added :(
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Hulk's is a 2015 model, so not a problem
Yet...

2010 Aurion wasn't a problem in 2010 either, but is now.

Not sure I could trust driving my family around knowing that the car I bought could in a few years catch fire. Just couldn't live with myself knowing I put my family in such danger.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Yet...

Not sure I could trust driving my family around knowing that the car I bought could in a few years catch fire. Just couldn't live with myself knowing I put my family in such danger.
What was the safety star rating for the 2010 Aurion?
Old 21-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Meanwhile, they refused to tow my dad's RAV4 when the gearbox packed it in, to the dealer 2 streets away.
How come? Didn't it have roadside assist?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
And never recalled the oil hose defect on the 3.5 V6 powered Klugers, Rav4s and Aurions.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yet...

Any car can catch fire. Ford (and many other manufacturers) also had quite a few recalls over increased fire risk. Manufacturers are doing the right thing and rectifying the issues.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If Ford recalled crap designed window switches and regulators that they've put in Falcons over the years, Ford would go broke globally.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:31 AM   #12
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What will the neighbours think?? All his friends are going to laugh at him! The shame!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #13
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

You do realize that some so-called "recalls" by car manufacturers are simply a ploy to get extra business for their dealerships, although they will never admit to this.

This is how it works....

Business is slow or you want more sales... So how do you get existing clients to come into your dealership?

Come up with some minor item that may need attention, and in reality requires very little labour or time to check by the dealership mechanics.

You see the difference between say a car recall and say a whitegoods recall, is that the car needs to be taken to an authorised repair centre, whereas a fridge or washing machine recall requires a technician to come out to your home, and this is very expensive, involving travelling time and call out fees, etc.

How wonderful!... Recall a car... And the owner has to bring it to your dealership.... This leads to two extra benefits;

(1). Many owners (especially those who have a car out of warranty and may not be using the dealership for servicing anymore) ... Will think to themselves... "Well ... Since I have to take the car in for the recall, I might as well "kill two birds with one stone" and get the car serviced there at the same time.... Bingo... Extra income for the Car dealership!

(2). While taking the car to the dealership.... Customers may take a look at the latest new models in the showroom, giving the sales staff an opportunity to try and make a sale. Again extra income for the car manufacturer!

All is not always what it seems in this world... Learn to read between the lines and always look for that "arterial motive" of why a person or company is doing something!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the "Underpants Gnomes" business model:
Step 1: Tell customers their cars are **** and could catch fire,
Step 2: ...........
Step 3: Profit!
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #15
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has been happening for a while. There have been many recalls of late that I've been more than a little suspicious of.

Don't get me wrong, if their is a product issue, then by all means recall the thing, but how many are "bogus".

On the other side of the coin, how many owners out there have been seriously out of pocket, fixing something that should have been recalled, but wasn't.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
What will the neighbours think?? All his friends are going to laugh at him! The shame!
They can all compare their window switches at a BBQ/ Wedding
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
"arterial motive"
All excellent points - spot on. But it is "ulterior motive."
Old 22-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
You do realize that some so-called "recalls" by car manufacturers are simply a ploy to get extra business for their dealerships, although they will never admit to this.

This is how it works....

Business is slow or you want more sales... So how do you get existing clients to come into your dealership?

Come up with some minor item that may need attention, and in reality requires very little labour or time to check by the dealership mechanics.

You see the difference between say a car recall and say a whitegoods recall, is that the car needs to be taken to an authorised repair centre, whereas a fridge or washing machine recall requires a technician to come out to your home, and this is very expensive, involving travelling time and call out fees, etc.

How wonderful!... Recall a car... And the owner has to bring it to your dealership.... This leads to two extra benefits;

(1). Many owners (especially those who have a car out of warranty and may not be using the dealership for servicing anymore) ... Will think to themselves... "Well ... Since I have to take the car in for the recall, I might as well "kill two birds with one stone" and get the car serviced there at the same time.... Bingo... Extra income for the Car dealership!

(2). While taking the car to the dealership.... Customers may take a look at the latest new models in the showroom, giving the sales staff an opportunity to try and make a sale. Again extra income for the car manufacturer!

All is not always what it seems in this world... Learn to read between the lines and always look for that "arterial motive" of why a person or company is doing something!
Recall a car for increased sales ? They would not do that because of bad image recall is associated with . Or if they do VW is the future market leader :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #19
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’ve said this before and it comes from years of experience and association.

There is no such thing as a voluntary recall.

That is company spin as a means for damage control.

It means in Australia’s case that the ACC (insert other authorities for other countries here) is so hot on the company’s behind that a forced recall has now become inevitable, so to remove the awful connotation of the word ‘forced’ the company at the eleven hour announces a voluntary recall.

Recalls can have severe impacts on company reputations and that even more than the financial implications plays a huge part in why product failures are hidden or denied as much as possible.

The financial penalty can impact the bottom line for a few years, a poor reputation can impact forever.

Deals are done in the background all the time between companies and the ACCC on how to handle these recalls, this side of things is not disclosed to the public but those on here who are or have been employed at a level within a company that would be privy to this type of negotiation will know what I’m talking about.

Nothing good comes from having your company associated with a recall.

Using the word voluntary and appearing to be pre-emptive and displaying attributes of consumer sympathy is the lesser of a damaging situation.

Again there is no such thing as a voluntary recall, it just means they couldn’t get away with it any longer.

Last edited by Express; 22-10-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good they are calling them up,
I've lost count how many times I've had my au switches apart for attention.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #21
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve said this before and it comes from years of experience and association.

There is no such thing as a voluntary recall.

That is company spin as a means for damage control.

It means in Australia’s case that the ACC (insert other authorities for other countries here) is so hot on the company’s behind that a forced recall has now become inevitable, so to remove the awful connotation of the word ‘forced’ the company at the eleven hour announces a voluntary recall.

Recalls can have severe impacts on company reputations and that even more than the financial implications plays a huge part in why product failures are hidden or denied as much as possible.

The financial penalty can impact the bottom line for a few years, a poor reputation can impact forever.

Deals are done in the background all the time between companies and the ACCC on how to handle these recalls, this side of things is not disclosed to the public but those on here who are or have been employed at a level within a company that would be privy to this type of negotiation will know what I’m talking about.

Nothing good comes from having your company associated with a recall.

Using the word voluntary and appearing to be pre-emptive and displaying attributes of consumer sympathy is the lesser of a damaging situation.

Again there is no such thing as a voluntary recall, it just means they couldn’t get away with it any longer.
I beg to differ, while the current VW/Audi Diesel thing is not good for their reputation, there have been many other recalls which have been.

It's often the old adage that "any publicity is good publicity" & in the eyes of many retail customers, a company's reputation can be actually be enhanced by a "stage managed" recall.

Many buyers believe that a manufacturer is doing the right moral thing in recalling a car to fix whatever, especially anything 'minor' or 'safety issues'. There have been many surveys of customer satisfaction, where the customers have rated a company higher because of a recall or a fixed warranty claim, than have the thing right in the first place.

Dr Terry
Old 22-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I think that just boils down to the fact that 90% of population is um. . . . anyway

Lets just say people who are pleased they make recalls assume recalls are voluntary.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 22-10-2015 at 12:49 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
I think that just boils down to the fact that 90% of population is um. . . . anyway

Lets just say they assume recalls are voluntary.

Yeah voluntary, like when Toyota recalled their cars to fix the front suspension problem that killed 9 people. VW finally recalling cars in Aus after a women died on the Monash freeway. Gm after the key barrel incidents. What good work by these manufacturers to drum up business for their dealers!
Old 22-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Yeah voluntary, like when Toyota recalled their cars to fix the front suspension problem that killed 9 people. VW finally recalling cars in Aus after a women died on the Monash freeway. Gm after the key barrel incidents. What good work by these manufacturers to drum up business for their dealers!
I think that you have taken this out of context. We are not suggesting that manufacturers are deliberately designing defects into the cars, just so that they can have an otherwise unnecessary recall down the track.

All we are suggesting is that many recalls, over the years were perhaps for items that were not life threatening. As mentioned in the above Toyota recall, nobody is going to die & there has not been one car catch fire worldwide, so this one looks very precautionary, let's say.

Dr Terry
Old 22-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #25
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: "THIS will go down in automotive history as one of the weirdest automotive recalls of all time.

Quote:
Yes but the Aurion is so fast the wind cooling will keep it from overheating.

bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I think that you have taken this out of context. We are not suggesting that manufacturers are deliberately designing defects into the cars, just so that they can have an otherwise unnecessary recall down the track.

All we are suggesting is that many recalls, over the years were perhaps for items that were not life threatening. As mentioned in the above Toyota recall, nobody is going to die & there has not been one car catch fire worldwide, so this one looks very precautionary, let's say.

Dr Terry
No I'm not taking it out of context. The recalls that show up in the media are safety related recalls. They do this stuff to cover there butt. It might be a small chance of something bad happening but if it did it then it become much more serious.

For less serious items they have campaigns when you bring it in for service.
Old 22-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I beg to differ, while the current VW/Audi Diesel thing is not good for their reputation, there have been many other recalls which have been.

It's often the old adage that "any publicity is good publicity" & in the eyes of many retail customers, a company's reputation can be actually be enhanced by a "stage managed" recall.

Many buyers believe that a manufacturer is doing the right moral thing in recalling a car to fix whatever, especially anything 'minor' or 'safety issues'. There have been many surveys of customer satisfaction, where the customers have rated a company higher because of a recall or a fixed warranty claim, than have the thing right in the first place.

Dr Terry
I’ve had some very heavy involvement with this issue for a number of multi-nationals and first off all major manufacturers employ qualified lawyers who specialise in consumer law, these staff members train and constantly update senior management in how to approach and deal with product failures, they also liaison with the ACCC and when serious concerns arise outside professionals who are on retainers also become involved on behalf of the company.

Sometimes there are months of negotiations with the ACCC before a voluntary recall is announced.

The ACCC has a target list of companies that are constantly checked and because of it there are companies that are very proficient in hiding and paying off badly effected consumers to get around recalls.

Be a mushroom if you wish but without getting myself into an area where I would break signed confidentiality agreements and end up with all sorts of legal problems I will stress again, there is no such thing as a voluntary recall in Australia.

Every one of them has been negotiated where the company has worked with the ACCC to secure an outcome that has the least impact on their business reputation.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #28
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Yet...

...or the shame of buying an Aurion in the first place
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #29
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I've lost count how many times I've had my au switches apart for attention.
Buy new ones on www.aliexpress.com

Grab some spare key blanks while you're at it - the AU key is the same as a Ford Mondeo. Both use a 4D60 immobiliser chip.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #30
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly enough there have been no comments at all from Hulk about the Toyota recall
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post