Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #61
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Space saver" spare wheel.

I have worked as a salesman for Ford at 2 dealerships, and I can tell you it's a widely held belief that when you purchase a new vehicle, it comes with a spare tyre. Having a space saver in Falcon leaves a sour taste in people's mouths, and the can of goo is very hard to reoconcile with customers- they almost feel insulted and it can be a dealbreaker.

Having a space saver just adds a a middle man to the process of getting a flat- changing to the space saver, THEN forking out for a new tyre. I had to drive 100 km to work on one and breach the 80km/h limit on the freeway.
I was taught to counter that with 'research indicates nobody can change a tyre', but the Inflation kit requires you to read equally straight forward instructions.
Yeah not a fan, and all the BS in the world won't change my stance here.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #62
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
You do realise that if you damage a rim its going to cost you many more $$$ for a replacement.

Also the FG space saver tyre is not all that narrower than the full size, and is in the centre square hollow. Have you tried the pram in the boot?
I plan on changing the wheels so I will have 4 full size spares anyway.

Yes of course I tried the pram in the boot and yes it did make a substantial difference. If the pram didn't fit then it was no deal.

I am happy to take my chances with the space saver.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
in_xcess

Space savers are pointless in Australia.

These first appeared in Europe where, if encountering a flat, can usually be repaired in no time as a service centre is every 50km on your local autobahn.

Anyone that thinks the car makers have done it to save space is a little naive. They've done it to save THEM the cost of a fifth full size wheel. Think about it, have you ever paid $250 less for a new car because it doesn't have a full size rim? We should demand we do as the consumer, pure and simple it's less of a car in the absence of a full size rim in a country that has great distances to drive.

So sick of euro and Asian trash vehicles determining how we do our motoring and our local manufacturers following suit. Living on a rutted gravel road 100km from Canberra and doing country, hwy and city kms means rim size and tyres are crucial to our car buying - say NO to space savers especially on off road and traditional hwy cars and demand the cost of the vehicle be not 1c more if ordering a full size rim!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alloy spares have never been a free option as far as I know, but a full sized steel spare has.
So really, is there much/any cost saving between a full sized steel spare and a space saver steel spare to the manufacturer? (Certainly not a $250 saving, that's why you don't save $250 on a new car)
Particularly being an odd sized skinny tyre, it may cost more than a "general" sized tyre.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Space savers? Pah, i carry two full sized spares, one alloy and one steel, and when needed i carry an extra 10 gallons with me...a bit short of the 44 gallons but adequate so far
Should get a flat soon, the roads ive been on (and will be back on soon), my tyres are all cut up and have small bits missing.

I wonder how many people have their spare tyre way underpressure or even as flat as the flat tyre cos they dont check it ever or even carry an air compressor in the car.
Mines under inflated, I can theres a bit of side wall bulge happening there, its supposed to be 60psi or something.

I've got a full sized alloy in the boot of the Falcon as a spare.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #66
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

I wonder how many people have their spare tyre way underpressure or even as flat as the flat tyre cos they dont check it ever or even carry an air compressor in the car.
I inflated tyres on the sister in laws car, checked spare In the boot and it had a sidewall blowout. Told her, and she had forgotten about it, she hit a gutter months ago! It had a full sized spare.

I wonder if having a bright yellow skinny spare helps prevent this from happening, at least to stupid people.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most punctures present as slow leaks ie Nails of screws
They stay in the tyre and you are able to get somewhere to either re-inflate or repair
Same would apply if you had to fit the space saver its only meant to get you where you need for the repair

if you find yourself getting regular "blowouts" or punctures 200Km from the nearest town perhaps a Ford Focus isnt the best car to be driving

I for one dont even carry a spare, but I take one when im doing a country trip
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #68
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no problem with the space saver. I don't care what it looks like as it is only temporary. Driving at a max. of 80km/h sure beats rolling a flat tyre on an alloy rim to the nearest tyre shop that's for sure!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #69
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

least you get a spare i get an inflation kit....yay!
I since got some mags and put one of my old (still new) 15in stocks in the boot which fits perfectly and kept the inflation kit and bought a $35 trolley jack and folding wheelbrace. so now i'm covered.
and to add I have had lots of old cars and most had a brand spanking spare tyre complete with rubber nipples, even my old 1970 HT holden but i feel much safer having a full size spare than a space saver, people ignore the warnings I have seen space savers on the front of a front drive car doing 110kmh, thats just stupid
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #70
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant believe this debate is still going, a post about what constitutes a mint condition gets closed for being worthless after 4 posts and this still has legs.
If a car is sold with a space saver thats what you get for your money, you want bigger and it fits buy one, if not buy another car.
Most cars are built to be sold globally where much stiffer restrictions apply as to size and economy, a space saver saves fuel and every little bit counts.
Plus Ill repost more politely my first comment, many people couldnt lift a full size spare from the deep confines of a boot 17 and 18 inch spares are weighty and ungainly, a lighter space saver is more likely to be utilised if needed preventing stranding of your wife or daughter in unhappy places.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #71
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Plus Ill repost more politely my first comment, many people couldnt lift a full size spare from the deep confines of a boot 17 and 18 inch spares are weighty and ungainly, a lighter space saver is more likely to be utilised if needed preventing stranding of your wife or daughter in unhappy places.

JP
i'd be pretty ****ed if my misses left an alloy wheel on the side of the road because she couldn't put it back in the boot.
if you can't change a wheel you should not be driving....
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #72
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i'd be pretty ****ed if my misses left an alloy wheel on the side of the road because she couldn't put it back in the boot.
if you can't change a wheel you should not be driving....
That you might be, but Im pretty sure the women in my life couldn't lift the 18 inch full size spare wheel out of the wheel well let alone swap them over and put it back. They can change wheel I make sure of that, but they couldn't lift the bloody things.
and if it was a case of leave the wheel or something bad happen I side with get the hell out of there.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #73
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true, and try and take the wheel off with a factory brace after a tyre shop has locked the nuts on with a rattle gun...i need all my weight (a bit) standing on it sometimes...
then you have those stupid scissor jacks that will either roll over or if you put it under the wrong spot will just bend the floor up....
made my missus get roadside assistance on her car.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #74
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
true, and try and take the wheel off with a factory brace after a tyre shop has locked the nuts on with a rattle gun...i need all my weight (a bit) standing on it sometimes...
then you have those stupid scissor jacks that will either roll over or if you put it under the wrong spot will just bend the floor up....
made my missus get roadside assistance on her car.
Change tyre shop.

The shop I uses rattles up the bolts just to nip them up, and does the final torquing up by hand. Only monkeys would rattle them right up and leave them at snapping point.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #75
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

best use of space savers, ever.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I cant believe this debate is still going, a post about what constitutes a mint condition gets closed for being worthless after 4 posts and this still has legs.
If a car is sold with a space saver thats what you get for your money, you want bigger and it fits buy one, if not buy another car.
Most cars are built to be sold globally where much stiffer restrictions apply as to size and economy, a space saver saves fuel and every little bit counts.

JP
Because that extra .001L/100km I'm saving with the space saver spare wheel over a 16" alloy makes a whole lot of difference on a car doing 5.5L/100km.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #77
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If somebody can’t manage a full size spare, then how are they going to get the flat tyre back in the boot?
Plus they would struggle to jack the car up , much less undo those bleedin nuts.
That's why you have RAC, but they don’t carry tyres.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #78
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
I thought I had a full sized, 245x40x18 spare fitted to my 2010 FG Ute. I met a guy who had a 50yr anniversary ute and his came fitted with a full sized mag wheel as standard.
I figured I could put the full sized spare into rotation by purchasing an extra Dunlop and shuffling tyres back to front etc.
Surprise. The spare is a 235x45x17 steel wheel. The advice in the manual still recommends a top speed of 80kph - get the flat sorted asap.
So what's the diff. I may as well have a SSS on the ute. I'll start lookin.

The 235/45X17 is slightly smaller and narrower than the 245/40X18....So manufacturers have to cover their asses and place the sticker on the spare, as the car will handle a little different....

IMA, if you put 235/45X17's all the way round, there won't be any problems...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #79
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_xcess View Post
Space savers are pointless in Australia.

These first appeared in Europe where, if encountering a flat, can usually be repaired in no time as a service centre is every 50km on your local autobahn.

Anyone that thinks the car makers have done it to save space is a little naive.
!
Plenty of maive people out there, including you....You obviously haven't seen too many boots of cars and what little space they actually have....Once you put a full sized spare in some of these boots, there is bugger all room for anything else.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post