Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default going to be in sydney tomorrow

Im flying out from perth tonight and arrive in sydney around 6am. Im going to be driving a manual AUII XR8 from sydney all the way back to Perth. Im on my P's but only have an automatic license. I know I know, I didnt have a manual car to practice in when I was getting my license, so I just went for the auto. But I drive a manual's all the time, and my work car is a manual.

My question is, should I put P plates up and risk being pulled over for driving a V8 and then they find out I only have a automatic license? or dont put P plates up lowering the risk of being pulled over? Do the cops really target P platers driving high powered cars over there? and what are the fines like, $$$ wise?

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
Im flying out from perth tonight and arrive in sydney around 6am. Im going to be driving a manual AUII XR8 from sydney all the way back to Perth. Im on my P's but only have an automatic license. I know I know, I didnt have a manual car to practice in when I was getting my license, so I just went for the auto. But I drive a manual's all the time, and my work car is a manual.

My question is, should I put P plates up and risk being pulled over for driving a V8 and then they find out I only have a automatic license? or dont put P plates up lowering the risk of being pulled over? Do the cops really target P platers driving high powered cars over there? and what are the fines like, $$$ wise?

Look at it this way, if you get caught you will cop a descent fine and i doubt they will let you take the car any further.
Wouldn't it be better just to fly someone who can drive it over with you at your expense and avoid all the hassle?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its actually my brothers car and he is flying me over.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last time I got caught driving out of class in wa it was only a $50 fine. I just waited till the cops drove off and then went on my way

Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its actually my brothers car and he is flying me over.
Why doesnt he drive it?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little off topic... My dad recently bought a car in Melbourne. He's getting it shipped back though. I'm just curious to know how much money you are saving by driving it back?

Cheers.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You must be on reds? Because if you were on Greens from before July 1st you could drive a V8 no problems.... (maybe it was before then can't remember exactly). I believe people who are affected by this law have an emblem on their drivers license that corresponds to the no V8/Turbo policy. The cops over here are actually doing a "blitz" on P platers at the moment so i'd be cautious.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
MrEL
Sick Puppy

With the recent events in Sydney if you get caught driving a manual XR8 in sydney on your P's i just hope you packed plenty of lube in with your luggage.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
cupic
Nikon

Drive from syd to pth very nice
mate if I where you keep a low profile
as a V8 will stick out like dog balls and with a nice P Plate sticking front n back

Plenty of smokies out here
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
With the recent events in Sydney if you get caught driving a manual XR8 in sydney on your P's i just hope you packed plenty of lube in with your luggage.

cracks me up
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no greens or reds here in wa. Its not the fact that im driving a V8 that worrys me, in wa were allowed to drive 8's and turbos on our P's. Its just attracting unwanted attention from the cops seeing as they dont know I have a wa license untill they pull me over. But then they will see that im not meant to be driving a manual.

My brothers not driving it over by himself just because its a very long drive, and a bit of a task for one person to do in 3 days( we have to be back in perth on wednesday)

I dont think where really saving anything by driving it back. Its just that we get to go to sydney and go on a road trip this way

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

If you're on a WA licence on P-Plates and WA doesn't have the same P-Plate restrictions as NSW (which I think it doesn't) then you can feel free to put the plates up. They can't do anything to you.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #13
Mutley

No guts, no glory? Your choice. If you decide to do it, I dare say no amount of advice from this forum will stop you.

If you do, don't drive across the Hay Plains or Nullabor at night. Plan your fuel stops. Not all fuel stations are open 24 hours, 7 days. And resist the temptation to speed. The Nullabor, both sides, is better policed than it appears. If you get caught, a tow from the border to Perth will cost you dearly.

Finally, you will get stopped and checked at Noresman for quarantine. They take your details and the car rego.

Good luck but it may be easier to buy a one way ticket for one of your mates with the correct licence. The company will probably be appreciated anyway.
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
If you're on a WA licence on P-Plates and WA doesn't have the same P-Plate restrictions as NSW (which I think it doesn't) then you can feel free to put the plates up. They can't do anything to you.
I agree with you. WA P's should be okay. The manual / automatic thing not so sure.

From the sounds of it, you and your brother will be in the car, so share the driving and getting him to drive in the built up areas or where/times of the higher visibility.

PS Plan your trip, take plenty of breaks and don't drive if possible from about 1am til 5am. The old circadium rythms.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd be suprised if they even picked up on it...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

mate don't worry about the auto licence thing, i've driven the brissy to melbourne 4 times and never got caught, pulled over sure but they don't look at your auto or manual restriction. And wear your p's you cant get into trouble for the V8 as your under different LICENCING rules. That's my 2c
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in sydney now. This city is bloody nutz!! Theres train lines going everywhere and its huge. Alright place for a holiday, but I couldnt live here. I love perth to much.

Things Iv learnt about sydney so far:

The roads here are quite possibly the worst in australia. They have been patched up so much its very very bumpy! Plus the lanes here are really thin. Its like they ran out of room to make more lanes, so they just made every lane smaller so they could make a new one. Plus drivers here seem to not indercate when changing lanes and indercate in a weired way when using round abouts(indercating right when exiting) wtf! Plus all the roads seem to be hilly and whiny. And there are to many god dam cyclists and a lack of maccas. Plus the trains here are dirty and dodgy like new york.

Other than all that, its pretty good

Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

sydney isnt that bad lol

people should be indicating LEFT when leaving roundabouts though lol.

the public transport SUCKS. and yeah the roads are RUBBISH too
Old 06-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #19
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Things Iv learnt about sydney so far:

The roads here are quite possibly the worst in australia. They have been patched up so much its very very bumpy! Plus the lanes here are really thin. Its like they ran out of room to make more lanes, so they just made every lane smaller so they could make a new one. Plus drivers here seem to not indercate when changing lanes and indercate in a weired way when using round abouts(indercating right when exiting) wtf! Plus all the roads seem to be hilly and whiny. And there are to many god dam cyclists and a lack of maccas. Plus the trains here are dirty and dodgy like new york.

Other than all that, its pretty good
Agree with everything except about Maccas. There is like 10 in Sydney City alone.

Also as mentioned our law is to indicate left upon leaving the round about. Totally ridiculous rule that barely no one including police adhere to.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
xrfalcon
On The Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
sydney isnt that bad lol

people should be indicating LEFT when leaving roundabouts though lol.

the public transport SUCKS. and yeah the roads are RUBBISH too

Why no indicator means i am going straight. Logic
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

but then you can be confused with the masses who could be going any which way off the roundabout without indicating. indicate left off the roundabout no matter which direction you are going (also indicate right if turning right)
Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a mate who drives a manual but only got an auto license. He's been pulled over twice and never been caught out by it. I'm not saying you won't, but I don't think they're always THAT observant about it. If worst came to, i'm sure you could explain what you were doing with the car and get off the hook.

By reading your later posts, it sounds like your brother is going with you? Or at least someone else is.. Do they have a manual license? If so, couldn't they drive in the more 'hot spots' and you drive where your less likely to be pulled over?

By the way, i'd go for it anyway without question.. If you know how to drive it, who cares? Worst is you cop a fine, but if you did get pulled over and played nice with the cops, explained the situation i'm sure it wouldn't be too bad.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
WAXBFAR

Worst thing is= if an accident happens, No cover!
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #24
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im back from sydney. Took us a few days to get back. Left monday morning and drove untill a couple of hundred kms over the SA border. Then we slept on the side of the road for a few hours. Then drove all day and got into wa about 7:30pm. We drove for another 100kms or so and then stopped at some town I cant remember the name of(started with an "M") Either way it was bloody dodgy. Then started driving again about 7am. Got to Kalgoorlie about 4pm(had to go through 80kms of roadworks befor Norseman. Visited some people in Kal and then left around 10pm. Got back home about 5:30am.

In the whole trip, I sped once. And I got pulled over to. Was doing 140 in a 110 zone on the freaking nullarbour. Just was approaching a hill and slowed down to 120km/h. Then a cop comes over the hill. Turns his lights on and turns around to give chase. It went something like this:

COP1: high mate, just pulled ya up quickly cos you where speeding, not a problem not a problem though.
COP2: Do ya know how fast you where going?
ME: about 115?
COP1: nah nah, a little more, 119, but not a problem. Have you got ya license on ya?
ME: hands over license
COP1: Just going to give ya a breatherlisser, just to make sure your not absolutely hammered behind the wheel
COP2: wheres ya P's mate?
ME:ummmmm, there in my car
COP2: HAHA, there meant to go with the driver not the car. No problems though. Just pick up a set at the next servo, some of the cops around here are bastards and will wack ya with a $50 fine per plate.
COP1: And ya dont want that, that il eat into ya money. Get a couple of cartons with $100.
COP2: ahhhhh depends what ya drinking though mate, couple of cartons, or mabey a good bottle of scotch.
COP1: true true
COP2: so where you guys heading?
MY BROTHER: Perth via kal, got a few mates to catch up with there
COP1: ahhhh got a few mates over on hay st ey! nah its what ya need after a long trip like this, enjoy yourself's.
COP2: alright where outa here. Enjoy the rest of today, cya
COP1 COP2 ME MY BROTHER: cya

Then the cops spin there car around on the gravel, do a little burnout and off they went. I was speeding, didnt have P's up and was driving a manual and didnt get one fine! Bloody awesome cops. For anyone that dosnt know, hay st is famous for its brothels.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Indicators mean nothing in Sydney ... you learn quickly to read minds here.
Yes Sydney isn't exactly dead flat either ... there are some roads that are good.
The reason for bumpy roads ... is the amoutn of travel that use them everyday ... it is called wear an tear ... and shutting down roads to fix them would cause a complete meltdown in Sydney traffic causing all manner of chaos.

The lanes aren't that narrow .. OK they look narrow when there's 3 semis next to each other barrelling along nearly touching mirrors ... but that's nothing.

I am used to Sydey traffic as I drive it often for work ... so when i go to other states I realise how good everyone else has it.

Except Melbourne .. their good driver's drive worse than our taxi drivers ... and that's saying something.

Still ... sounds like you had a good time.

Oh ... I never use public transport for a GOOOD reason ... :hihi:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #26
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

They sound like a couple of alright cops that you got pulled up by, obviously were in a good mood

Sydney to Perth, that would have been a pretty cool road trip. I love road trips, pity I haven't done any in my AU yet.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #27
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Except Melbourne .. their good driver's drive worse than our taxi drivers ... and that's saying something.
not to mention those stupid hook turns.... WTF turn left to turn right

i wouldnt have done what you did though, i cant live without my license....let alone my car for 6 weeks damn AAMI.... at least it was an AU

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post