Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drag tips

Was hopeing if you guys could through some pointers at me, fist time in a V8 at drags only run riceburners years ago a bit different with that flat torque curve.
Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wade
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
rodderz

Wade is yours an auto or manual?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Dodge
i like to be stroked

if its a auto
first warm up the tyres, let some air out , run about 20 psi. then at the lights stand on the brake , time it so u have @ 2000 rpm with brake peddle pressed, then on green hit the gas ,jump of brakes at the same time and back of gas if ur spinning but ready to stand back on it when controlled. My advice is to worry about the lights first, dont worry about time , try to be constent then break out. u should change gears when the power starts to drop, eg if u hit 5800 and then the car goes to 6000 but u dont go faster, change at 5799 , get ur gearing set up so u cross the line in top gear in full revs,,, then only race will 1/4 tank of gas, remove things like spare wheel , jack , floor mats, seats and covers , anything that is easy to rip out without making the car dangerous...he he also stick some octane booster if u like or drop in a 502 keith black for the weekend Kiddn have fun and dont try this on public roads.. and get pics
Old 11-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Wade

I'd be the last person to give advice as my 1st run at heathcote was only my second ever run down the strip but a few things I did learn on Saturday night was to keep an eye on the RPM and make sure you don't hit the limiter.....don't worry about the guy next to you...let him go before you start to run.

I also learnt that LS1's are quick.

Most of all have fun....its a bit addictive though.

Good luck....

Brad

PS...how did you go with Mal Wood ??

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Wade is yours an auto or manual?

Manual rodderz!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Wade

I'd be the last person to give advice as my 1st run at heathcote was only my second ever run down the strip but a few things I did learn on Saturday night was to keep an eye on the RPM and make sure you don't hit the limiter.....don't worry about the guy next to you...let him go before you start to run.

I also learnt that LS1's are quick.

Most of all have fun....its a bit addictive though.

Good luck....

Brad

PS...how did you go with Mal Wood ??
Thanks for the input Brad & dodge, yeh that limiter in 1st and 2nd is always a bit of a challenge.
About Mal Wood Brad, have been a bit busy lately (engagement party) suckin me dry.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Thanks for the input Brad & dodge, yeh that limiter in 1st and 2nd is always a bit of a challenge.
About Mal Wood Brad, have been a bit busy lately (engagement party) suckin me dry.
c'mon mate whats more important

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
c'mon mate whats more important
LOL dont tempt me, oh shit me missus is behind me. :
Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Have Fun the bug will then come, enjoy your car and try not to take it to serious.
You are an OFR racer you own the track.
practice and just work on your 60 foot time, the rest will come on its own..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
rodderz

Wade the manual can be a bit tricky, you can have all the advice but in the end it's trial and error on your behalf. I needed some advice on the weekend..lol

I would try a 1st run taking off as per normal, the track can vary with grip. See how it goes then next run launch harder, experiment with clutch slip to see what works best. Some get more grip with a bigger burnout some with a small one, i guess you have to try both on street tyres to see what works best. On nitto's or DOT drag tyres smoke the hell outta them to get them sticky

Then once you're moving slam those gears in, just watch the 2nd-3rd in the manuals as they can be a bitch to get in a lot of the time
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wade the manual can be a bit tricky, you can have all the advice but in the end it's trial and error on your behalf. I needed some advice on the weekend..lol

I would try a 1st run taking off as per normal, the track can vary with grip. See how it goes then next run launch harder, experiment with clutch slip to see what works best. Some get more grip with a bigger burnout some with a small one, i guess you have to try both on street tyres to see what works best. On nitto's or DOT drag tyres smoke the hell outta them to get them sticky

Then once you're moving slam those gears in, just watch the 2nd-3rd in the manuals as they can be a bitch to get in a lot of the time
Ya right about 3rd even with the sure shifter its a little better but it catches you out every now and then, before i got my car i noticed you guys commenting about how hard it was to get the manual boss off the line now I know first hand either fry or bog them, very hard to get that happy medium.

Oh and did you go any good on the weekend rodders or anyone else for that matter.
Man I'm hangin, the wether is a bit dodgy in sydney at the moment cross fingers.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
MRJUCY
Fordless

If you want a good reaction time don't wait for the green go on the last orange by the time you've reacted & moved it will be green.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
If you want a good reaction time don't wait for the green go on the last orange by the time you've reacted & moved it will be green.
I don't see how important reaction times are, he's not running competition, reaction times don't mean anything in a street meet. Concentrate on setting the car up on the line the way you want it, don't worry about the lights. The lowest possible ET's is the target, not a trophy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
MRJUCY
Fordless

True thats why I said if you want one. If your grudge racing a mate it is nice to get to the other end first & besides it's another skill of drag racing too see if you can beat yourself & also it comes down to driver skill rather then who has the biggest stick so even if your in a Camry you could get the best reaction time of the night & at WSID street meets thats worth cash.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
rodderz

Quote:
Oh and did you go any good on the weekend rodders or anyone else for that matter.
Man I'm hangin, the wether is a bit dodgy in sydney at the moment cross fingers.
Nah myself no good mate...car has a few issues (maybe the driver too!) but had a ball anyway

Better take some lessons from Brad I reckon he'll be the next guru to get some hot times out of the xr888 XR8!
:evil3:
Old 13-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #16
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah myself no good mate...car has a few issues (maybe the driver too!) but had a ball anyway

Better take some lessons from Brad I reckon he'll be the next guru to get some hot times out of the xr888 XR8!
:evil3:
Oh well next time,
All you guys thank for the advice, wish me luck and will be back here with results tonight.
Ye haaaaaaaaa....!!!!

Wade
Old 13-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #17
NOT 347

Burnouts are pointless on street rubber (not including street slicks). The more
heat you put into them, the slipperier they're gonna be on take off.

Sorry guys and girls, the begining of the above sentence was supposed to be "Big burnouts" not burnouts are pointless.

Last edited by NOT 347; 16-05-2005 at 05:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT 347
Some get more grip with a bigger burnout some with a small one, i guess you have to try both on street tyres to see what works best

Burnouts are pointless on street rubber (not including street slicks). The more heat you put into them, the slipperier they're gonna be on take off.
Mate when I did smaller burnout i had alot better 60' times, did a couple of bigger burnouts and it was like i was on butter.
Old 14-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Mate when I did smaller burnout i had alot better 60' times, did a couple of bigger burnouts and it was like i was on butter.
Same for me. Dunlop SP9000's get really greasy if they get too hot. Just a small burnout seems to work better for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Somebody better tell XA Coupe then!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #21
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Huge burnouts on street tyres are a waste of time.

The silicone and other matters in street tyres then works against you.

One small but good piece of advice I was given...... Keep racing.

With expereince you'll pick up where improvements can be made even if some of them are accidental!

Good Luck!

p.s. How did you go in the end?
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post