Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 18-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #301
Phil B
Clevo power!

Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Hi, this is the wife here. Thanks for giving him some solutions/things to try. He's pretty frustrated. He posted in one of the facebook groups that he's thinking of selling her... I think he'll regret it too much if he does. Roughly how many $$$'s are we talking here? I'm the one who does the budgeting, I'll see if I can scrape up the money somewhere.

I'm hoping once she's running well again he'll get the passion back for the car. I've got the weekend off coming up so if I can get her fixed in time I'll take him for a relaxing drive in her, he hasn't had a chance to enjoy her and take her out for ages, I think that's part of why he wants to sell, all the fun is gone...

So how much do I need to find in the budget for her this time? Roughly? And I'll see what I can do to try and stop him selling her. Thanks for all your help and advice.

-Sarah
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #302
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
Hi, this is the wife here. Thanks for giving him some solutions/things to try. He's pretty frustrated. He posted in one of the facebook groups that he's thinking of selling her... I think he'll regret it too much if he does. Roughly how many $$$'s are we talking here? I'm the one who does the budgeting, I'll see if I can scrape up the money somewhere.

I'm hoping once she's running well again he'll get the passion back for the car. I've got the weekend off coming up so if I can get her fixed in time I'll take him for a relaxing drive in her, he hasn't had a chance to enjoy her and take her out for ages, I think that's part of why he wants to sell, all the fun is gone...

So how much do I need to find in the budget for her this time? Roughly? And I'll see what I can do to try and stop him selling her. Thanks for all your help and advice.

-Sarah
Sarah,
The problems are minor IMO and probably just require someone with some experience in those cars to diagnose and fix it. Assuming that the issue is along the lines of what Phil has diagnosed so far then you might be looking at one of the following things. Points, condenser, coil, distributor cap leads. You can probably source all those parts for less than $100 but it's more than likely just one part that has failed. It should be a cheap fix.

The proper fix if it's ignition related is to replace the distributor and coil with a new electronic unit. This will set you back around $400 but you can run these things fine with the original units.

I have a second hand points distributor for that car in good condition ( if I can find it in my shed) and you can have it if you want it. I also have a coil, cap and leads. Let me know if you want them.

The guys on this forum are pretty helpful and if someone is in your location then I expect someone wouldn't mind dropping around to help out. You can place a post in the classic section and ask for assistance. If you don't know how to do that I can post it for you.

Unfortunately these cars are getting on a bit and if you drive them a lot then maintenance is an issue. People also forget that when new they needed a lot more TLC then modern cars.

He would be mad to sell it and something he would regret.

Chris
Old 18-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #303
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Quote:

-Sarah
Hi Sarah
Chris has already touched on the repairs needed
For what it's worth what Phil is going through is typical of owning an older car that parts are wearing out / or hasn't been maintained

If the budget can afford it I would buy a newer car as a daily drive, living up north one with aircon perhaps

Then retire the coupe as the daily drive that way if it needs some work its not something that has to be done right away as its not your primary mode of transport

Phil has already scraped the paint work since he has painted it
Scrapes and small dings a par for the course when you drive a car every day
So in summarising , if you can afford it the coupe should be for fun only (IMO) and if it stops for any reason it can be repaired when the budget allows

Get a small fuel efficient reliable daily driver so that Phil doesn't stress about it breaking down or scraping the paint
Cheers
Tony
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #304
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
Hi guys.
I was reading your post and have a suggestion based on something that happened to me.
Had done a tune up. New cap, rotor, plugs points, and ummmm( having a brain fade.) that little silver cylinder inside the dizzy.??

Car ran ok . About 2 months later I decide to go for a cruise. Get about 1 klm from home and nothing. Car stops. Crank it nothing. Lift the hood and have fuel but no spark. After a few F- words I ran a wire from battery to points bypassing that ( is it resister)??? little cylinder.
Yep got spark. Rang a mate and he grabbed an old one and away we went car running fine.
Brand new part was faulty.
The crimping for the connector to the resistor/points was not touching the wires inside the plastic coating. Inside the little rubber block that sits in dizzy housing
I noticed in your pic the resistor looks new. I had purchased a bosch unit.
Maybe same problem you have. Worth a look
Thats the capacitor over the points to stop them burning isn't it? Which if its a dud would explain the points being bad so soon. Could be at least part of the problem.

Also definitely going to an electronic distributor as soon as I can get one. Just gotta make this old one last till then. Getting my mechanic to look at it this arvo, so he should work it out.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Old 18-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #305
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Thats the capacitor over the points to stop them burning isn't it? Which if its a dud would explain the points being bad so soon. Could be at least part of the problem.
The condenser (capacitor) forms part of the electrical circuit on the primary side of the coil. When the point close current flows from coil + through the coil primary winding, to coil - and to the points to earth.

When the points open the capacitor forms part of the circuit (it's wired in parallel to the points) and the field collapses and induces a voltage into the secondary winding. It protects the points and provides a timed circuit for the primary winding discharge.

The condenser can fail and cause those problems, same with the coil.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #306
Phil B
Clevo power!

Wife here again. I've found a good place to take her to, where they specialize in old cars, and as soon as I mentioned the basic issue over the phone he basically said everything you were all saying, which I took as a good sign ;) She's getting picked up by a truck this afternoon, and taken over to SVS (name of auto place) to get properly looked at and hopefully fixed up. I've had a few people say they're really good when I've asked around. Fingers crossed sometime in the next few weeks you'll see some more pics of her out on the road.

As for the daily driver, I've been looking. We're only here in this location though for another nine months, before his work moves us on to Gove in the NT, where we can't take any cars with us. So I have to weigh up if its worth the funds for a car, plus rego etc or just see if the coupe can manage for nine months. Its a tough one. We're gonna have to find a place to store the coupe even while we're up there. We'll probably be there for around a year, possibly a bit more before returning to a place where we can have the coupe with us. If I can find another car cheap enough I'll go for it, but it seems almost a waste of money to buy another car when I'll have to sell it soon anyway. Yet it's also unfair on the coupe to use it like this.

- Sarah
Old 19-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #307
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

Sounds like you have found a good place to take it to.

I have the stock Bosch electronic distributor, control box and MSD coil from my Cleveland powered XC that I will not be using. Just before taking it off the car I fitted a new rotor and cap. This type of set-up does not use points so is superior to the older type in the XB.

I can send it to you or direct to the garage but the postage from NZ might be quite a lot. I will include the connector for the control box and a wiring diagram.

Do you know if the shop is going to fix your existing setup or have you opted to upgrade to a pointless/electronic system?

Neill
Old 19-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #308
Phil B
Clevo power!

Wife again, Thanks for the offer of yours, that's Phil's decision to make and I'm sure he'll be on later tonight ;) The shop is going to patch her up for now so we're not running on one car (I can only sometimes take him to work as I work shifts, so some days I can and others I can't). And then I'll get them to give us a proper quote for a pointless system and a few options to go with. Phil wants to upgrade, I don't mind too much, whatever makes him happy haha. If it's going to be better in the long run, then I think its wise to upgrade. They do all kinds of custom work and full restos at the shop I'm taking her to, so I'll get them to have a think what will be best for the car too. Fingers crossed it all goes well. I'm feeling very nervous handing my baby over to someone I don't know! (and yes, it's my baby not his :P Sometimes I'm the one more protective of it than he is!)

- Sarah
Old 20-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #309
Phil B
Clevo power!

Looks like its worse than I first thought. Just heard from new mechanics, who seem to be on the ball...

Looks like the timing chain and or sprockets have slipped or moved. Will make it quite a bit more expensive unfortunately.

Oh well will see how it goes.

Old 20-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #310
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

That doesn't sound so good. Hope it's sorted quickly.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #311
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Tough break Phil. Given your upcoming move to Gove would it be worthwhile mothballing the coupe for a while? Do you have any family or trusted friends who could babysit the coupe for a year or two?? You could then get a cheapie to run around in the short term

Hopefully upon your return from Gove you'll be financially flush and be able to spend some bucks on an engine rebuild or something of that nature.

You have two very good things going for you - you're still a young man and you have a very supportive wife. Don't let the coupe go, even if you are having days when you don't like it very much!! You will regret it.

Just a thought. One thing I encounter quite a bit at car shows but particularly at our annual Caribbean Gardens show which isn't necessarily a "car" type crowd - lots of guys in my age group come up to us and say they used to have one of these, selling it was the worst thing they'd ever done. Lots of comments like "geez I miss that car".

You, Sarah and the XB - the 3 of you were made for each other!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #312
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
Tough break Phil. Given your upcoming move to Gove would it be worthwhile mothballing the coupe for a while? Do you have any family or trusted friends who could babysit the coupe for a year or two?? You could then get a cheapie to run around in the short term

Hopefully upon your return from Gove you'll be financially flush and be able to spend some bucks on an engine rebuild or something of that nature.
If theres any damage or anything more than just a timing set needed then thats exactly what I was thinking. Might do it anyway, we shall see.

Old 21-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #313
Phil B
Clevo power!

The timing chain had slipped 4 teeth! That wouldn't have helped at all. Goes much better now apparently. Will pick it up tomorrow arvo which should be good, the bill wont be though...

Old 22-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #314
greenjgs

Classic cars..... The diet plan for your wallet!

Glad to hear you have got to the bottom of the problems Phil. The cam timing chain moving 4 teeth I must admit is a new one. The usually just break.
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #315
Phil B
Clevo power!

Got the coupe back this arvo, goes great!
New Crow double row timing set installed.

Now for some pics of the old timing gears and chain:

Just a little bit stretched?

Slipped a bit, 3 teeth in the end:

Crankshaft gear a bit worn:

And the stock cam gear, the plastic doesnt look too good after 37 years. Damage to 1 tooth on the left, a bunch on the top right and a few down the bottom:

Here's the worst part of the damage:

Old 27-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #316
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

That wouldn't have been helping your cause at all. Bit of carbon in that motor too. Does it use much oil? Did you end up getting a good electronic dizzy?
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #317
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianxy351 View Post
That wouldn't have been helping your cause at all. Bit of carbon in that motor too. Does it use much oil? Did you end up getting a good electronic dizzy?
It does use a bit of oil, not too bad though. It does have 390, 000km on it, the shop did compressions and they were around 140psi so it is a bit worn but is hanging on.

No electronic distributor yet, its running good for now. Ill get to that in a bit.

This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #318
Phil B
Clevo power!

Hey Pat, if your still here can you please get onto me ASAP. I have a problem with the personalised plates.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #319
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Give us a call,Phill,0499637910

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #320
Phil B
Clevo power!

Got an electronic distributor today. Should be good once I get it on. Whats involved in installing it? Not something i can do myself? Would need a timing light yeah?

Old 18-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #321
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

You will need some wiring mods to get 12v to it. You will need to install it and set the timing up. You will need a timing light.

I assume its a " ready to run " distributor?
Old 18-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #322
Phil B
Clevo power!

This is what I have

Last edited by Phil B; 18-12-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 22-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #323
Phil B
Clevo power!

Well today was the last day of daily duties for the coupe. Will be much nicer on my wallet, driving 110km each day through a mountain pass was expensive in the coupe!

On a good note though, since the timing chain was replaced it's driven very well with no problems at all!

The old distributor is pretty stuffed though so I'm thinking it's time to finally put that electronic distributor on.
So what will I need to be able to make it work?
Do I need a new coil for it?
What are the wiring mods? Removing the ballast resistor from the coil power wire?
Any other things I'll need?

Also I showed a mechanic friend my coupe today (he used to own a few) and he said that he'd never seen a distributor where the gear isn't fixed to the shaft, the gear end slides off with a drive tang. Is this normal? And also he was worried about installing it without the gear falling off, do you just use some grease to hold it on while you install it?

Last edited by Phil B; 23-01-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 20-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #324
Phil B
Clevo power!

A quick update, coupe is still going great. Got the custom plates on it this week:

Just at work:

And drove past this coupe at a mechanics shop the other day so I got a picture of both. Its an XA with an XC front, sporting a relatively serious looking Windsor under the bonnet.

Old 21-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #325
KOOP74

Always great to see your coupe Phil. Now that she's no longer your daily, how often do you get to drive it?
KOOP74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #326
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOP74 View Post
Always great to see your coupe Phil. Now that she's no longer your daily, how often do you get to drive it?
The borrowed daily lasted about a month before the water pump leaked, blowing the radiator. So the coupe is a daily again until that is fixed. Which is only happening slowly because its at my work and I dont get much time to work on it.

Old 22-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #327
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Hey Phil this was taken about 5/6 years ago. This was also a XA with XC front, I wonder if it's the same coupe.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #328
Phil B
Clevo power!

Looks like it could be, a few changes I can see but nothing to drastic.

Old 22-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #329
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

This coupe was last photoed in Cairns in 2011, I was looking through the coupe spotting thread. Where abouts are you Phil? I notice you've got Qld number plates now not Vic ones.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #330
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
This coupe was last photoed in Cairns in 2011, I was looking through the coupe spotting thread. Where abouts are you Phil? I notice you've got Qld number plates now not Vic ones.
I'm in Cairns as well now so that will most likely be the same coupe.