Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
fullysik.com
Dale

Yeah, those Torq Thrusts are the go!! What were the specs on them? Rear backspace?

Not sure Bearman, can't remember but will go and measure them and let you know
fullysik.com is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #32
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.gentechperformance.com/im...8/IMG_1104.jpg

Running 17ich Simmons FR's

17x8 on front (6inch backspace 2inch outer)
17x10 on Back (6inch backspace 4inch outer)

235 45 17 Kuhmo 712's Font
275 40 17 Kuhmo 712's Rear

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
BlueKoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #33
WildPlumXA
No chicken in this coupe!

Red face XA & XB tyre wheel combo's

The XA has pretty traditional combo
15x10 Hotwires 295x50x15 T/A's
14x5 Hotwires 245x60x14 T/A's wouldnt mind trying 15x8s either 245x50 or 60s
I have a spare set of 15x10 Hotwires for racing

BTW, the Hotwires were fitted to the XA around 1975 by the second owner soon after he saw the add in a car magazine he bought on his lunch break

XB has a little odd set up
15x15 Weld Pro Wheels 15x15.5x29 M/T Sportsman Pro's it did have 15x22x33's
Final rear tyre will probly be a 18.5x31 or 32
15x7 Weld Pro Wheels 225x60x15's generic radials front

cheers
Lawrence :

:thebirds:"More Power R-R-R":thebirds:
Ohhhh saaaay caan you seeee by the dawns early light, his coupe is Wild Plummmmm with the steering on the right
: :

Last edited by WildPlumXA; 10-11-2008 at 11:48 PM.
WildPlumXA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #34
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPlumXA
The XA has pretty traditional combo
15x10 Hotwires 295x50x15 T/A's
14x5 Hotwires 245x60x14 T/A's wouldnt mind trying 15x8s either 245x50 or 60s
I have a spare set of 15x10 Hotwires for racing

BTW, the Hotwires were fitted to the XA around 1975 by the second owner soon after he saw the add in a car magazine he bought on his lunch break

XB has a little odd set up
15x15 Weld Pro Wheels 15x15.5x29 M/T Sportsman Pro's it did have 15x22x33's
Final rear tyre will probly be a 18.5x31 or 32
15x7 Weld Pro Wheels 225x60x15's generic radials front

cheers
Lawrence :

very nice coupes you have there Lawrence ,want to sell the hot wires?there like rocking horse poop to get here

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #35
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Default 15x 10 splats

gday guys ,iv got some 14x8splats that im changing to 15x10s next week now the car has a 9inch drum to drum so no worrys with the disc getting in the way ,but the off set i want to get spot on,most of the shelf 15x10wheels have a 5inch back space,ok for your coupe but if you look under theres more room towards the springs than there is the gards,so im thinking have a 5and a hlf or 6inch back space.has any one got thoughts or had it done ?if so what do you guys thing the optimal back space scould be6?or 5.5?i will be keeping 15x10s but due to changing the back space want a fatter tyre than 295s but like the profile height of the 50series yokos any ideas welcom cheers pat.opps sory for got to add iv also rolled the lip of the gard.trying to go as fat as i can with out mini tubs

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 13-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #36
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
gday guys ,iv got some 14x8splats that im changing to 15x10s next week now the car has a 9inch drum to drum so no worrys with the disc getting in the way ,but the off set i want to get spot on,most of the shelf 15x10wheels have a 5inch back space,ok for your coupe but if you look under theres more room towards the springs than there is the gards,so im thinking have a 5and a hlf or 6inch back space.has any one got thoughts or had it done ?if so what do you guys thing the optimal back space scould be6?or 5.5?i will be keeping 15x10s but due to changing the back space want a fatter tyre than 295s but like the profile height of the 50series yokos any ideas welcom cheers pat.opps sory for got to add iv also rolled the lip of the gard.trying to go as fat as i can with out mini tubs
Hi Pat,

Take a look at post #2 of this thread. The pic shows the inside clearance of a wheel with a 130mm (5+1/8 inch) backspace. Going by this I reckon a 5+1/2 inch backspace would be about the max but don't forget, if you're running 15" rims with 50 profile big rubber you will have more sidewall bulge and lateral movement when cornering. You'll need room for that.

Good luck with it.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #37
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hi Pat,

Take a look at post #2 of this thread. The pic shows the inside clearance of a wheel with a 130mm (5+1/8 inch) backspace. Going by this I reckon a 5+1/2 inch backspace would be about the max but don't forget, if you're running 15" rims with 50 profile big rubber you will have more sidewall bulge and lateral movement when cornering. You'll need room for that.

Good luck with it.
thanks for that ,i was in the ball park .as soon as there on the coupe il post the clearance pics cheers pat

Old 14-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #38
WildPlumXA

Red face Hot Wires

Quote:
very nice coupes you have there Lawrence ,want to sell the hot wires?there like rocking horse poop to get here
Thanks mate, we like em. Hows the Max car going
I can relate to your drama, if I ever took the yellow car back to Oz there would be no chance of getting rego on it again, at least not legitimately anyway

Not keen to sell the hot wires, apart from the fact they suit the car & have been on it since new. I looked for a fair while before I found the second set of 15x10s & they are very very unique over here & really keep the Aussie flavour of the car

cheers
Lawrence :

Ohhhh saaaay caan you seeee by the dawns early light, his coupe is Wild Plummmmm with the steering on the right
Old 14-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #39
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Thanks mate, we like em. Hows the Max car going
I can relate to your drama, if I ever took the yellow car back to Oz there would be no chance of getting rego on it again, at least not legitimately anyway

Not keen to sell the hot wires,

cheers
Lawrence :
Bugger 15x10 hot wires are just about my all time fave wheel : .Mad max freeking rocks all regoed now :evil3:a bit of pain getting rego but all done now , love driving it ,gives me a hard on as soon as i hop in lol.going for a hoon on the weekend cheers pat .go the coupes

Old 14-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #40
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
http://www.gentechperformance.com/im...8/IMG_1104.jpg

Running 17ich Simmons FR's

17x8 on front (6inch backspace 2inch outer)
17x10 on Back (6inch backspace 4inch outer)

235 45 17 Kuhmo 712's Font
275 40 17 Kuhmo 712's Rear
Did someone say NNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCE!!!!!

:sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool:
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #41
WildPlumXA

Red face

Quote:
Bugger 15x10 hot wires are just about my all time fave wheel : .Mad max freeking rocks all regoed now :evil3:a bit of pain getting rego but all done now , love driving it ,gives me a hard on as soon as i hop in lol.going for a hoon on the weekend cheers pat .go the coupes

Yea me to Pat, I love the old Goss hot wire adds he did. They have a real bathurst look, even made the Torananas look tough
My second fave Aussie wheel would be the B45 simmons, remember the old Castrol coupe Streetmachine magazine gave away?
I wonder where it is these days, I spotted pics of the HQ4U Monaro at Summarenats 07 on the net

Enjoy the hoon mate, its winter here now, might get a hand full of hoon days in if Im lucky between now & March or April

cheers
Lawrence :

Old 14-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Hi Pat,

Here are some photos of a 15 x 10 hotwire (standard offset) without and with BFG 295/50 15 on a coupe

These should give you an idea of the additional back space available

Last edited by THE4RD; 14-11-2008 at 08:58 PM.
THE4RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #43
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Nice. Love the polished look. All the ones I have seen are dull and dirty. Be a bugger to keep clean though!
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #44
Bearman

THE4RD, thanks for posting up those pics. Looks like those wheels and tyres sit just right. Looks like you have good outer sidewall clearance as well. Are the wheel arches lipped or not?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 17-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #45
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE4RD
Hi Pat,

Here are some photos of a 15 x 10 hotwire (standard offset) without and with BFG 295/50 15 on a coupe

These should give you an idea of the additional back space available
looks great ,got to love hot wires on coupes,im going to try 15x10 with a 5and half inch back space,my convo pros are 15x10 with a 5inch back space but srape on the out side ,il post some pics of the splats when there on the coupe thaks for you help gents cheers pat

Old 17-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #46
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
THE4RD, thanks for posting up those pics. Looks like those wheels and tyres sit just right. Looks like you have good outer sidewall clearance as well. Are the wheel arches lipped or not?

The wheel arches aren't lipped and the tyres don't rub.
Old 19-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #47
73 coupe
XAllent

Default exactly how much rubber ?

the supreme setup 4 an xa/xb coupe is 11" rear & 9" front , coz if u crimp the rear dguards u can fit as much as a 12inch width tyre , a lot depends on ur tyre measurer ie: sum1 who knows wtf they talkin bout with regard's depth & field , that and not 2 stuff the originality of the car . wheels r sumth every1 can play with . i've yet 2 c the proper wheel 4 a coupe ,but i do know what i'm lookin 4 , maybe it will come out soon lol ,,,,, fingers crossed
73 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #48
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 coupe
the supreme setup 4 an xa/xb coupe is 11" rear & 9" front , coz if u crimp the rear dguards u can fit as much as a 12inch width tyre , a lot depends on ur tyre measurer ie: sum1 who knows wtf they talkin bout with regard's depth & field , that and not 2 stuff the originality of the car . wheels r sumth every1 can play with . i've yet 2 c the proper wheel 4 a coupe ,but i do know what i'm lookin 4 , maybe it will come out soon lol ,,,,, fingers crossed
iv got a set of 14x8 splates at extencive wheels now getting turned in to 15x10 with a 5and a half inch back space,i asked them if they do a 11 or 12 inch wide rim as i wanted wider than 10 ,but thats as wide as they do ,going to be anoyed if some one else could of done a wider rim : on the bright side i rolled the gards to so hoping for fat asss tyres :evil3:

Old 20-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #49
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As promised

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
BlueKoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #50
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
This is my favourite coupe on here. Absolutely luv it!
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #51
coupegirl
Starter Motor

my XC coupe ruby wore 225/60/15 front and 265/50/15 back on 8" american racing outlaw II rims all round with 0 spacing..the fronts scraped on full lock till the lip was slightly rolled..was never happy with the 60 series on the front, the looked huge compared to the rear (indeed they were 4cm taller)..at the time thats what was recommended and i was stuck with them..yuk!..

ruby was written off late last year and her wreck sat in a paddock for 12 months till i recently bought her sucessor, XB coupe trixie..trixie now wears rubys mags and tyres tho interesting to note that when they were fitted they scrubbed out badly on the front at as little as 1/3rd lock, making her undriveable..problem INSTANTLY solved by replacing the front 60 series with 50 series, still 225s, tyres are the right height all round, she handles better and no scrubbing at all..

also, my first coupe back in the 80s had 310s on the rears and was very low..never a problem with scrubbing unless like someone else said, you had 3 passengers in the back..too far back to remember rolled lip, spacers etc., but i know they were 10" rims..

pami
coupegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #52
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupegirl
trixie now wears rubys mags and tyres tho interesting to note that when they were fitted they scrubbed out badly on the front at as little as 1/3rd lock, making her undriveable..problem INSTANTLY solved by replacing the front 60 series with 50 series, still 225s, tyres are the right height all round, she handles better and no scrubbing at all..
hey pam
looking at the side on pic of trixie in the other thread, the wheels (caster i think) may be set to the rear of the car slightly. when i bought my new wheels, the tyres scrubbed on full lock. the tyres were 235x60x15. post 19 has a pic of where they scrubbed. the tyre place wanted to move the wheel forward, but i insisted on 225x50x15 and the problem went away. from side on the wheel should be centred in the wheel arch. it doesn't really matter if it is forward or back slightly. it just gives a slighly different wheel base

obviously with 225x50 it does not matter, but you could probably fit larger diamater and width if the feeling ever arose. i believe 245x50 would fit, but only bf goodrich make them and they are much more expensive than bridgestone potenza's
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #53
coupegirl
Starter Motor

thanks gary, will definitely keep that in mind, still deciding if i want to have another play with the tyre widths all round..would REALLY like to go to 310s on the rear but that would mean buying two wider rims, what she has looks good (once i get around to cleaning the rims and blacking the tyres) so it can't be a priority with the $$$ going into the motor...but once thats done?.. ;)
coupegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #54
cob115
COUPE WHORE

fianly got my old school 15x10 splats back all crome n tuff looking ,got to love old school coupe wheels

went for 15x10 with a 5and a half inch back spacing,schould be on the coupe in a few weeks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #55
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

I like 'em.

I was thinking of something similar (in 5 spoke) for the Landau like these:

Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #56
homegrown
hotshot

At the moment ive got the typical coupe package. 12 slotters in 14x8 & 15x10 with Mccrearys. They used to rub, but rolled the lips on them and i got no issue now.
When the funds come in weld wheels will go on. I want to go a rod lite or something out of the norm than the original. Fats on the back pizza cutters on the front. Although I seem to cop it from everyone at work for wanting skinnys on the front, the worst thing is they're not even playing with cars, so go and...
Old 13-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #57
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE4RD
I like 'em.

I was thinking of something similar (in 5 spoke) for the Landau like these:

Sweet!! What brand are those?? Where from??

They'll look the business!!

Old 13-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #58
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Billet Specialties - Street Lites

Available in 15" with various widths and offsets:

http://www.billetspecialties.com/pro...id=16&scid=251
http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...id=251&pid=940

or 17"

with limited sizing

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...d=251&pid=1009

You can get them from Rocket Industries in Oz

http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/s...ge=0&limit=100
Old 17-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #59
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Its time for a change and Ill be taking the Flame Mags off the Coupe and fitting a set of the new Torq Thrusts next year. I am unsure what size to go for, 17"s or 18"s? Or how wide to go. Ive always had old school 14"s & 15"

Im getting my Diff shortened to an XY Length so I will be able to go wider.

Which size has the best range of tyres and what profile would be best suited?
The lips on the guards have already been rolled.
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #60
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Jack
Its time for a change and Ill be taking the Flame Mags off the Coupe and fitting a set of the new Torq Thrusts next year. I am unsure what size to go for, 17"s or 18"s? Or how wide to go. Ive always had old school 14"s & 15"

Im getting my Diff shortened to an XY Length so I will be able to go wider.

Which size has the best range of tyres and what profile would be best suited?
The lips on the guards have already been rolled.
get yourself american car magazines. it seems just about every car in the states are running them now.
I like the 17s on the front and 18s on the back gives the HotRod look. plus the beaty is that you can go bigger than 10 inch wide because the tyre hugs the rim.
In saying that a good example of modern rims on coupe is a yellow XAGT in this forum. you have to check it out.