Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Alarms - what's the go when it comes to smartlock...??

well after a recent attempted break in on my Sprint, ive decided its time for some serious anti theft devices to be installed! I cannot sit beside it with the shot gun for much longer! :hihi:

I would ideally like something that works in with smartlock, but i dont know if thats possible. Does anyone know anything about that? Also, does anyone know if the factory option alarm was any good, and whether or not that can be installed still??

so feel free to add your thoughts, and also it would be great if people with alarms etc could tell me a bit about it, and what works and what doesnt, and how much people have paid.

thanks in advance!

cheers
dave
Old 15-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
honer
Back to N/A land

On my EF Falcon I had an alarm addon that interfaced with Smartlock (Note: Having to 2 clicky things to get into your car is gay, thats why I opted for this)

I can't remember what it was called, but I'll find out for you.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate, that sounds like the sort of thing im after...one key pad annoys me enough let alone two of the suckers!
Old 15-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where can you get an addon?
Old 15-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a Rhino Upgrade alarm in my EL and am very happy with it. IT has two additional immobilisation points, and many extra/programmable features. Uses original remotes and interfaces with Smartlock.

I had a Vision upgrade on my last car, an XH ute. Good alarm too, but not as many features as Rhino.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

My alarm is intergrated into the smartlock system as well. But, due to a known issue with the AU's and theft it is set up that the keypad is the same BUT the alarm works totally independant of the rest of the smartlock. That way if the car is opened with just the key (or any other way) the alarm is still active. Basically it simply shares the same remote as the smartlock system but operates on a totally independant curcuit. It is also wired to the boot, bonnet and of course all the doors.
It also does NOT have the tilt override.

About as secure as I can think of.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I had some alarm when I got my car, it didn't seem to like Dumblock at all, so I ripped it out after it locked me out of the car and wouldn't let me start it when I got in.

Got a weird car at work today, unlock via Dumblock, indicators flash, then the brake lights flashed twice.....wtf.

I'd also be interested in one that used the Dumblock remote.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i have a air wolf , remote start, pager with lcd so u can see what ur cars doing , it has imoboliser, window up/ down . ect i have a spare one if u would like to buy it , $ 350.00 thats what i paid for it in LA. the system is air wolf part no is 20099 http://www.designtech-intl.com:8080/...atid=36&step=4

Last edited by Dodge; 15-01-2005 at 08:00 PM. Reason: wrong site
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #9
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
That way if the car is opened with just the key (or any other way) the alarm is still active. Basically it simply shares the same remote as the smartlock system but operates on a totally independant curcuit. It is also wired to the boot, bonnet and of course all the doors.
The Rhino and Vision also work like that. The alarm must be disabled via the remote. Entry to the car via key will set the alarm off.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

dodge what car do you have the airwolf in?
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Add on alarms are a huge liability in any car.An alarm installed on the back of the popular smartlock can be penetrated much easier..it is a common system. I threw my smartlock keys in the cupboard and installed a fully fledged security system.It locks my doors,opens my boot and winds my windows up and it screams when some idiot has a go....
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Add on alarms are a huge liability in any car.An alarm installed on the back of the popular smartlock can be penetrated much easier..it is a common system. I threw my smartlock keys in the cupboard and installed a fully fledged security system.It locks my doors,opens my boot and winds my windows up and it screams when some idiot has a go....
Damn Right Prople expect miracles from a $299 alarm and worse still a $99 install.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #13
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Quote:
i have a air wolf , remote start, pager with lcd so u can see what ur cars doing , it has imoboliser, window up/ down . ect i have a spare one if u would like to buy it , $ 350.00 thats what i paid for it in LA. the system is air wolf part no is 20099 http://www.designtech-intl.com:8080...catid=36&step=4
that alarm sounds rather impressive, but would i be wise in dreading the installation cost? im looking into alarm systems myself and was quoted $410 for a smartlock upgrade :togo:

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

Last edited by EB-maen; 16-01-2005 at 01:39 AM.
EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

For some reason I tend to keep an eye on security systems.
I know that 'SENTRY' do a smartlock addon module that works quite well with the original smartlock remotes. Features all the usual insurance requirements for an alarm & is quite stable with few of the faults of the cheaper alarms, as well as lasting pretty well. My work fleet uses Sentry alarms in their fleet cars(3-400 cars) with a pretty good strike rate(not many need later repair / removal)
If you're looking for a complete standalone type job - the kits as used by Subaru are prob the pick of auto security atm.(mental block atm as to their aftermarket supplier - mind you the security system subaru use are expensive - but well worth it)
For those that are unaware - the Subaru's use a keycode entry pad that can be adjusted for a valet mode with a preset limit of starts (on a differrent code to the usual one) If you are serious about your car security - go take a lookie see at the system they use....
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i have a air wolf , remote start, pager with lcd so u can see what ur cars doing , it has imoboliser, window up/ down . ect i have a spare one if u would like to buy it , $ 350.00 thats what i paid for it in LA. the system is air wolf part no is 20099 http://www.designtech-intl.com:8080/...atid=36&step=4
Hi Craig that sounds pretty impressive sort of a car alarm,wonder how they would intricate on a GTP
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter

Last edited by GTP 320; 16-01-2005 at 12:41 PM.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post